Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Cryptos

Comments

• I have been following this thread avidly as I wanted to try and get my head around Crypto Currencies but tbh it is still a total mystery to me lol ( I dont consider myself thick but it really does confuse me ). Anyway cutting a long story short.... if I wanted to put say £2k into one of these which one would you guys pick ? the motive would be more of a punt really just to have an interest
  • AndyG said:
    I have been following this thread avidly as I wanted to try and get my head around Crypto Currencies but tbh it is still a total mystery to me lol ( I dont consider myself thick but it really does confuse me ). Anyway cutting a long story short.... if I wanted to put say £2k into one of these which one would you guys pick ? the motive would be more of a punt really just to have an interest

Maybe slightly biased, but I'd go for ZIL... still massively undervalued and lots of big news to come
  • AndyG said:
    I have been following this thread avidly as I wanted to try and get my head around Crypto Currencies but tbh it is still a total mystery to me lol ( I dont consider myself thick but it really does confuse me ). Anyway cutting a long story short.... if I wanted to put say £2k into one of these which one would you guys pick ? the motive would be more of a punt really just to have an interest
    I'm pretty much in the same boat as you after a friend started speaking to me about it a few weeks ago. Started to find it pretty addictive, and have invested a not un-significant amount since then.

If you want my opinion, and I am sure it is mirrored by most others here, is that if you are willing to invest you should probably stick a large amount of it in Bitcoin - and then leave (HOD'L) it and hope it continues to increase in value.

You may also want to invest a smaller proportion into Ethereum and do the same.

Then any left overs you may want to put into some alternative coins to play around with.
  • AndyG said:
    for a beginner - just buy bitcoin, dont get freaked out next year when the price plummets, it will build up again to well passed where we are now in 3-4 years.
  • Thanks for the advice guys.

A really stupid question here but this is why I'm confused. With my shares I can see why they go up and down in terms of marketplaces and trading conditions etc but when I look at crypto currencies ( I never knew there were so many lol ) there are massive percentage increases and losses over short periods but what causes these ? is it just the volume of trades that drive the price ? Example below what made Qtum lift by that in a week ? or am I missing something ?

QtumQTUM
    $8.63-2.8%7.4%35.9%$1,571,903,323

• AndyG said:
    Thanks for the advice guys.

A really stupid question here but this is why I'm confused. With my shares I can see why they go up and down in terms of marketplaces and trading conditions etc but when I look at crypto currencies ( I never knew there were so many lol ) there are massive percentage increases and losses over short periods but what causes these ? is it just the volume of trades that drive the price ? Example below what made Qtum lift by that in a week ? or am I missing something ?

QtumQTUM
    $8.63-2.8%7.4%35.9%$1,571,903,323

yes, its the volume of trades (more buyers than sellers), also there's price action/technical analysis - so price breaking through resistance/at support/in price discovery, bullish/bearish divergences etc. But theres also the fundamentals such as announcing a partnership with a big company (so you know the tokens will have value), announcing a new product or protocol etc. Most of the coins, if not all, that are listed on big exchanges like binance arent scams and have legit teams behind them - it doesnt mean they wont fade into nothing (theres been a few that have been dropped by binance over the years) but at least you'll know a shady con artist isnt trying to take your money.

Basically the crypto market is what the legacy stock market would be like if there was no regulation, and no closing times. 
  • Zil on a break out? 
  • Zil on a break out? 
    Probably not  :D
  • How risk adverse are you?

Personally, I'd spend £1500 on bitcoin, Litecoin, Ethereum and the other big established ones, then I'd punt £500 on a few of the smaller ones who might have some traction in the future.

Stick with Coinbase and what they sell on there and you'll be safe(ish)
  • How risk adverse are you?

Personally, I'd spend £1500 on bitcoin, Litecoin, Ethereum and the other big established ones, then I'd punt £500 on a few of the smaller ones who might have some traction in the future.

To be honest I'm only doing it for a bit of interest and if I lose it I lose it. If I wanted a low risk investment I wouldnt be looking at these. I think it very likely that one day the world will wake up and this whole thing will have gone up in smoke and there will be a few blokes of the Southall variety sunning themselves on a beach somewhere lol. However whilst it lasts I'm willing to have a punt.

On a serious note thanks for the advice mate
  • Sponsored links:

• AndyG said:
    How risk adverse are you?

To be honest I'm only doing it for a bit of interest and if I lose it I lose it. If I wanted a low risk investment I wouldnt be looking at these. I think it very likely that one day the world will wake up and this whole thing will have gone up in smoke and there will be a few blokes of the Southall variety sunning themselves on a beach somewhere lol. However whilst it lasts I'm willing to have a punt.

If you're willing to go high risk, split it with the 'sensible' ones at £200 each and then £100 on some less obvious ones and then £50 on real random ones...
  • AndyG said:
    How risk adverse are you?

If you're willing to go high risk, split it with the 'sensible' ones at £200 each and then £100 on some less obvious ones and then £50 on real random ones...
    Something that is worth a punt of £50 on each that are cheap are DENT & ONE. Both available on binance. 
  • Crescofin will be listed on NASDAQ, the MD has announced today on the wCres telegram.

make me rich. 
  • Just logged back onto Coinbase and had a look at the prices, there’s loads of new coins they had prices for.  Not all tradable, but where does this end?  
  • @kentaddick, you mentioned on here about $6bn worth of options expiring y’day.  I also read an article about it.  The article said some traders have bet that btc will hit $80k by the end of April.  I see btc is rising again slightly after the fall from 2/3 days ago.  I think we’ll have another little surge now, but $80k is ambitious imo.  Who knows though when it comes to crypto 
  • I think we are in for a period of consolidation now... Reckon we stay rangebound 50-58 for at least a month and alts will start pumping 
  • Currently staking my ZIL but thinking of pulling it out for any anticipated rises...
  • Saw this on Reddit, thought I’d share

• cabbles said:
    @kentaddick, you mentioned on here about $6bn worth of options expiring y’day.  I also read an article about it.  The article said some traders have bet that btc will hit $80k by the end of April.  I see btc is rising again slightly after the fall from 2/3 days ago.  I think we’ll have another little surge now, but $80k is ambitious imo.  Who knows though when it comes to crypto 
    I follow a guy on Twitter called altcoin psycho that does a lot of option trading, he swears by “max pain” theory - the price will usually move to where the most options will expire unfilled. Once he calculates max pain he looks at where the big option buys have been made in that area - which indicates that it’s big institutional players are betting there too, and they’re rarely extremely wrong. This is for legacy stock market options, however, not sure for crypto but might be similar. 
  • Well after a few hours research I decided to take a mug punter approach 🤭

Have bought £200 each of the following

Algorand, Zil, Cardano, Ankr, Storj.

No science behind it but I'm thinking it's a better investment than the £250 I put on us winning the league this season lol
  • Sponsored links:

• Another red day on my watch list other than btc and eth 
  • Well f##k me. Storj  up 91% since I bought it this morning! Maybe the market heard I had bought and I've started a stampede lol
  • AndyG said:
    Well f##k me. Storj  up 91% since I bought it this morning! Maybe the market heard I had bought and I've started a stampede lol
    Well in mate! What made you pick Storj? Not even been on my radar
  • CAFCsayer said:
    AndyG said:
    Well f##k me. Storj  up 91% since I bought it this morning! Maybe the market heard I had bought and I've started a stampede lol
    I just looked at cheap ones that seemed like they are constantly climbing. Storj were up 4000% last 12 months. 370% last month. 170% last week. So I just bought them absolutely nothing scientific of the 5 I bought only ZIL down 🤭
  • AndyG said:
    CAFCsayer said:
    AndyG said:
    I just looked at cheap ones that seemed like they are constantly climbing. Storj were up 4000% last 12 months. 370% last month. 170% last week. So I just bought them absolutely nothing scientific of the 5 I bought only ZIL down 🤭
    Good going! Have to have the patience of a Saint with ZIL... When it does finally break out on the BTC pair, I think it'll scream up very quickly 
  • Need to look into it a bit more to make sure it's all kosher, but on a quick read Kadena looks interesting... Strong team fronted by 2 people that led JP Morgan's Blockchain centre of excellence and advised by Stuart Haber who coinvented blockchain technology. Scalable blockchain with sharding and over 8,000 tps... And best of all, market cap just shy of 78mil
  • CAFCsayer said:
    Need to look into it a bit more to make sure it's all kosher, but on a quick read Kadena looks interesting... Strong team fronted by 2 people that led JP Morgan's Blockchain centre of excellence and advised by Stuart Haber who coinvented blockchain technology. Scalable blockchain with sharding and over 8,000 tps... And best of all, market cap just shy of 78mil
    Enough with the facts, how much money can I make 🤣.

• Anyone here, in  on LTO ? 
  • edited March 2021
    Think CHZ is going to go back on a run. It performed exceptionally well back in February and early March, had some time to cool off and has broken out of a descending triangle. 

• new RFI roadmap, rumours are the "surprise" is having some RFI on pancakeswap and bsc, they're hinting heavily about something to do with binance and a "popular CEX/DEX" partnership.