Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Will we make the play-offs

Comments

• Options
    Acab said:
    To get to the play offs first you need to finish in the top six. You need to score goals. You need a forward line to score them not just a midfield. You need a fully fit squad. You need to strengthen in the January window if need too. Above all you need an owner who gives a fuck, As none of the above will happen the answer to the Threadline is NO.
    This was posted just over 5 years ago. 2 owners ago but the premise still stands. 

You cant win games without scoring goals. Relying on Leaburn & Bonne to score you those goals wont work I'm afraid. Yes, JRS will chip in with more than his fair share but the strikers need to be scoring the majority. 
    Again I made this point yesterday and it stands today.

We have played 27 games and scored 41 goals

Only

Ipswich (53)
    Plymouth (51)
    Sheffield Wednesday (47)
    Peterborough (43)
    Bristol Rovers (43)

Have scored more than us.

All people go on about is we need a goalscorer we need a goalscorer.

Scoring goals has not been our issue this season.

The fact we have conceded 38 has been our issue.

Obviously we don't know what's gonna happen and we may get injuries or loss of form before someone points it out, but no one can see in the future, as it stands our goalscoring record is actually pretty decent
    Take out the 5 against Plymouth & the 4 against Ipswich and that leaves 32 goals in 25 games. Not quite the same picture. And you'll never get our defence keeping clean sheets like the Arsenal of old. 
    Dont forget to get out the headers, and goals scored a weaker foot as well
    and the pens, proper goalscorers don't need cheap pens to add to their tally
    Have we had any penalties this season... Genuinely cant remember if we have or not
    Yeah only Stockley v Plymouth in the league. Only other one excluding shoot-outs was Payne's miss against Colchester (I think that's the only one anyway). 
  • Options
    Very unlikely, but not impossible. At best I can see us finishing 6th.

Realistically 7th might be the highest we can finish. 2 weeks ago it looked like we had a chance of catching Barnsley, but in the meantime we lost against Bolton, while they won 2 games to stretch an extra 6 points gap. The other teams like Wycombe and Posh look catchable, but that's unlikely to be enough.
  • Options
    I think we are good enough as a team to beat any team in this league - so in that sense I think we could run it close - I think the main issue we have is our inability to up our game against the lower teams in the league - its some psychological thing this team seems to have where we seem to up our game against the "big teams" and play to their level a lot, but fall apart against the teams that we are pound for pound (so to speak) better than. I haven't looked into it too deeply but i'm fairly sure if you look at the points we have taken this season we have gained more from the top six than the bottom six. 
  • Options
    Very unlikely, but not impossible. At best I can see us finishing 6th.

Realistically 7th might be the highest we can finish. 2 weeks ago it looked like we had a chance of catching Barnsley, but in the meantime we lost against Bolton, while they won 2 games to stretch an extra 6 points gap. The other teams like Wycombe and Posh look catchable, but that's unlikely to be enough.
    Best part of 20 games left for all teams. They all have to play each other.
    6-pointers. Dog eat dog, both teams can't win. Points get dropped.

Anything can happen, usually most teams have a stumble and stutter - some recover their form and others drop down the table.
    Most seasons there's a dark horse that rises from mid-table with a late-ish run and sometimes nicks that 6th spot.

But if it's going to be us ..... we had better make a start soon! :smile:

• Options
    Brown being dropped could do us a favour as our now reduced defensive options don't have to deal with him. But no win tomorrow then it could be another through the motions/build for next season etc couple of months. Quite who will be doing the building however...
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    We won’t get within 10 points of 6th 
    why cos we’re shit in a shit league 
    3 wins in 4. Bore off so sick of negativity all the time just coz you're old enough to remember 1962 "in the good ol days" moan on the other threads honestly with fans like this who needs Milwall or Palace just do it for them. 

I have to deal with people slagging my team off left and right all the time, I don't need to hear it from the people that support us. I just need a break for a change. So with respect, take the negativity elsewhere
    Didn't you start a thread about "giving it the big un" because we were playing Manchester United?  Maybe don't dish it out if you can't take it?

We are, relatively, shit and have have been for the best part of 2 decades.  That's not "slagging off" that's reality.
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    3 wins in 4. Bore off so sick of negativity all the time just coz you're old enough to remember 1962 "in the good ol days" moan on the other threads honestly with fans like this who needs Milwall or Palace just do it for them. 

I have to deal with people slagging my team off left and right all the time, I don't need to hear it from the people that support us. I just need a break for a change. So with respect, take the negativity elsewhere
    Didn't you start a thread about "giving it the big un" because we were playing Manchester United?  Maybe don't dish it out if you can't take it?

We are, relatively, shit and have have been for the best part of 2 decades.  That's not "slagging off" that's reality.
    not sure how many times i have to explain what i meant with that - i was talking about having banter with friends who support premier league teams and how rare it is to be able to join in. 

• Options

The thread isn’t let’s live in cloud cuckoo land and pretend we’ll make the play offs it’s will we make the play offs 

of course it could happen BUT my view is we will miss by a long way

what do you actually want a stream of lunatics saying yeah we should do it we’re smashimg great super 

it’s our worst footballing period ever , negativity will abound , unfortunately that’s the real world whether you like it or not .

As a gesture of good will if we make the play offs and get promoted this season I’m buying you your season ticket next season to celebrate anywhere in the ground .
    you can do whatever you like, i'll just be supporting the team and not saying they are shit at every opportunity.

• Options
    edited February 2023

The thread isn’t let’s live in cloud cuckoo land and pretend we’ll make the play offs it’s will we make the play offs 

of course it could happen BUT my view is we will miss by a long way

what do you actually want a stream of lunatics saying yeah we should do it we’re smashimg great super 

it’s our worst footballing period ever , negativity will abound , unfortunately that’s the real world whether you like it or not .

As a gesture of good will if we make the play offs and get promoted this season I’m buying you your season ticket next season to celebrate anywhere in the ground .
    you can do whatever you like, i'll just be supporting the team and not saying they are shit at every opportunity.

I’m on a message board saying the reality as I see it of our situation , I’m not gonna pretend otherwise and if people wish to talk us up when we’re shit I’ll express my opinion .
    I genuinely thought we’d be pushing nearer for promotion these last ridiculously disappointing couple of seasons .
    I think it’s very strange that you expect there to not be too much negativity when as a club we’re in our worst footballing period in our history, with ownership problems as well .
    You’re allowed your opinion and I’m allowed mine but if you snipe at fans you’re gonna get sniped back .

I can assure you at the games , where our support matters I’m behind the team as much as anyone and have been fortunate/unfortunate enough to have a season ticket every season  since 1984 and will have one every season till I or the club dies .
    I’ve brainwashed my 4 sons in to being mad Addicks and that’s not great for them living in Essex surrounded by Spurs , West Ham ,Arsenal etc etc and of course they get grief and banter thrown at them as we all have I’m sure throughout our lives for supporting League One dross but they may not like it but are mature enough to be able to deal with it ,no one wants us to do well more than me and that’s for their sake as much as anyone’s cos all they’ve known is the torrid times since they were born .
    My eldest 17 year old is off to Exeter today with a fellow Addick, (I’ve groomed him since 6, he tried to support Liverpool) a man United fan and a spurs fan .
    I actively encourage them all to roar the team on at the games where it matters .

you dug me out a few weeks back when you were questioning how positive I would have been about beating Germany the year before in the Euros , when I pointed out I had us down as favourites ‘ 50% England win in 90 mins 
    30% draw (England 50 % win in ET 30% draw 20% Germany) if it gets to pens England 65% Germany 35%
    20% Germany win in 90 min .

your comeback 

“ lol giving us a 50/50 shot is fancying us? 

Ok bud.

honestly I’m just a bit bored of your negativity and “predictions” either Say what you think will happen or don’t .

60% you get the hump and call me a twat
    30% you engage and argue that 50% equals "fancying them"
    9% you argue you're not negative all the time
    1% you agree with me “

i don’t think a Charlton message board is the place to be at this point in time if negativity isn’t what you want and I will continue to say what I think will happen .

Good news I reckon we’ll draw or win at Exeter today ! 

• Options
    For those 90 minutes plus injury time it's hard to separate the shenanigans from what's going on on the pitch, because they're inextricably linked. Of course the team can't be blamed for ownership issues, but I think we as fans can sometimes turn on the players early doors because we're pissed off with the club before the game has even started. A couple of misplaced passes and we can get on their backs, when we wouldn't in ordinary circumstances. It's caused by frustration and a belief that if the club was properly run we'd have better players on the pitch. But as I said, you can't blame the players who are doing their best.
  • Options

The top 6 is already done and dusted. Just what order they finish in now 
  • Options
    edited February 2023
    shirty5 said:

The top 6 is already done and dusted. Just what order they finish in now 

Had a small bet on Peterborough finishing top 6, and Bolton getting promoted.
  • Options
    No chance of making top six the way we are playing. Too many average players.
  • Options
    I seriously can't believe there is anyone who still thinks we can make the top 6.

Not only are we 12 points off the team in 6th, there are 8 other teams in front of us before that 6th spot!

And we'd better pick up some points from the forthcoming Fleetwood and FG Rovers games because if we don't, with Derby, Sheff Wed and Peterboro' coming up afterwards our glaze will once again start looking downwards!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I'm looking down rather than up to be honest.

Hope we can stay up.
  • Options
    I can’t see a play off place but likewise can’t see any relegation fears. Mid table on the beach in February.
  • Options
    I can’t see a play off place but likewise can’t see any relegation fears. Mid table on the beach in February.
    We are indeed mid table as things stand at half time. 10 points off the play offs and 10 points off the drop.
  • Options
    The race is on again!
  • Options
    Let’s dream - you Reds!
  • Options
    edited February 2023
    No, we have to make up 10 pts on the team currently in 6th place, whilst hoping the 5 teams above us take less points than us at the same time.
  • Options
    Zero % chance of playoffs, 2% chance of relegation. 
  • Options
    If we win 4 of our next 5 we've got a shot but I'm not holding my breath and I'll be astonished if we even get close .
  • Options
    20/1 SkyBet