Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Will we make the play-offs

Comments

• Options
    I know it sounds daft less than halfway through the season but that result felt season defining to me.

We just don't have the strength in depth or physical presence to launch a proper promotion challenge.
  • Options
    Yes i think we will, albeit in 5 or 6th.

Its what happens in the play off that counts.

Having seen 10 or so matches this season I would not back this team to win a two leg match against even a mediocre team in this league.

For example, Doncaster, Wimbledon, or Rochdale, taking the 1 goal lead from out recent home fixtures would we have defended it a few days later at their place? I doubt it.
  • Options
    To remain in the top 6 we have to beat the teams in 7th 8th and 9th etc.
    Peterborough and pompy were must win games in my opinion to give us a decent leed over 7th place.
    One point from six is clearly not good enough and if (when) we lose at Blackburn we will not even have a lead.
  • Options
    We’ll make the playoffs.
  • Options
    Sadly, I don't think we will make the play offs.
  • Options
    Only way I can see us making the play offs is if we bring in a 20 goals a season striker.

The owners history tells us that is not going to happen.

Re a striker, bringing (a decent) one in is made more difficult because we play only one up front.

I can see a possible scenario when the window closes, we are left simply hopping Leon Best can regain some of his old form.
    Although unlikely that's not impossible as he is still nowhere near match fit.

• Options
    I think we could, but then we might not. So who knows.
  • Options
    100% yes so long as January is kind to us, if not 50-50 chance
  • Options

Nope. I am personally expecting the same as last year, wheels to full off in Feburary.

February? They're already off. The doors are next. By Feb it'll just be the passenger seat.
  • Options
    Praps.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Nope. I am personally expecting the same as last year, wheels to full off in Feburary.

February? They're already off. The doors are next. By Feb it'll just be the passenger seat.
    Clown car.
  • Options
    The comments that Karl made last week about his last interaction with Roland (and all previous evidence) suggests this regieme will not invest in January which means no decent striker coming in which means no playoffs.

I honestly think this squad is only one decent goal scorer away from being genuine promotion contenders.
  • Options

will get playoffs but wont get to wembley

I agree that we'll make the play-offs.

Once in there anything can happen. It would not surprise me at all if we went up.

CLB74, please remember my final ticket.
  • Options
    I think we will. we are more than good enough for finish 6th.

What happens then depends on how many, and which, players we finish the season with injured. We have a few match winners in our squad that would be able to make all the difference in a tight Playoff game but if they are not available then it will be very difficult to progress past the semi-final.
  • Options

Only way I can see us making the play offs is if we bring in a 20 goals a season striker.

The owners history tells us that is not going to happen.

Re a striker, bringing (a decent) one in is made more difficult because we play only one up front.

I can see a possible scenario when the window closes, we are left simply hopping Leon Best can regain some of his old form.
    Although unlikely that's not impossible as he is still nowhere near match fit.

I doubt Harry Kane could get 20 a season playing for us....
  • Options
    To get to the play offs first you need to finish in the top six.
    You need to score goals.
    You need a forward line to score them not just a midfield.
    You need a fully fit squad.
    You need to strengthen in the January window if need too.
    Above all you need an owner who gives a fuck,

As none of the above will happen the answer to the Threadline is NO.
  • Options
    12 points behind 6th now and they still have a game in hand.
  • Options
    Acab said:
    To get to the play offs first you need to finish in the top six. You need to score goals. You need a forward line to score them not just a midfield. You need a fully fit squad. You need to strengthen in the January window if need too. Above all you need an owner who gives a fuck, As none of the above will happen the answer to the Threadline is NO.
    This was posted just over 5 years ago. 2 owners ago but the premise still stands. 

You cant win games without scoring goals. Relying on Leaburn & Bonne to score you those goals wont work I'm afraid. Yes, JRS will chip in with more than his fair share but the strikers need to be scoring the majority. 
  • Options
    Acab said:
    To get to the play offs first you need to finish in the top six. You need to score goals. You need a forward line to score them not just a midfield. You need a fully fit squad. You need to strengthen in the January window if need too. Above all you need an owner who gives a fuck, As none of the above will happen the answer to the Threadline is NO.
    This was posted just over 5 years ago. 2 owners ago but the premise still stands. 

You cant win games without scoring goals. Relying on Leaburn & Bonne to score you those goals wont work I'm afraid. Yes, JRS will chip in with more than his fair share but the strikers need to be scoring the majority. 
    Again I made this point yesterday and it stands today.

We have played 27 games and scored 41 goals

Only

Ipswich (53)
    Plymouth (51)
    Sheffield Wednesday (47)
    Peterborough (43)
    Bristol Rovers (43)

Have scored more than us.

All people go on about is we need a goalscorer we need a goalscorer.

Scoring goals has not been our issue this season.

The fact we have conceded 38 has been our issue.

Obviously we don't know what's gonna happen and we may get injuries or loss of form before someone points it out, but no one can see in the future, as it stands our goalscoring record is actually pretty decent
  • Options
    edited February 2023
    If you extrapolate points per game of the top six teams and extend that until the end of the season, our target for the playoffs is at present 76 points.
    That means we must win at least 12 of our remaining 19 games.
    But that would also be dependent on all eight teams immediately above us not outperforming us……

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    There is no way we’re making the playoffs. 
  • Options
    Acab said:

Only

Ipswich (53)
    Plymouth (51)
    Sheffield Wednesday (47)
    Peterborough (43)
    Bristol Rovers (43)

Obviously we don't know what's gonna happen and we may get injuries or loss of form before someone points it out, but no one can see in the future, as it stands our goalscoring record is actually pretty decent
    Take out the 5 against Plymouth & the 4 against Ipswich and that leaves 32 goals in 25 games. Not quite the same picture. And you'll never get our defence keeping clean sheets like the Arsenal of old. 
  • Options
    12 points behind 6th now and they still have a game in hand.
    When I posted this I was indicating we have no chance of making the playoffs, not suggesting we had a chance 
  • Options
    Acab said:

Only

Ipswich (53)
    Plymouth (51)
    Sheffield Wednesday (47)
    Peterborough (43)
    Bristol Rovers (43)

Take out the 5 against Plymouth & the 4 against Ipswich and that leaves 32 goals in 25 games. Not quite the same picture. And you'll never get our defence keeping clean sheets like the Arsenal of old. 
    Dont forget to get out the headers, and goals scored a weaker foot as well
  • Options
    Acab said:

Only

Ipswich (53)
    Plymouth (51)
    Sheffield Wednesday (47)
    Peterborough (43)
    Bristol Rovers (43)

and the pens, proper goalscorers don't need cheap pens to add to their tally
  • Options
    Acab said:

Only

Ipswich (53)
    Plymouth (51)
    Sheffield Wednesday (47)
    Peterborough (43)
    Bristol Rovers (43)

Have we had any penalties this season... Genuinely cant remember if we have or not
  • Options
    edited February 2023
    Nope, seasons over. Doubly so after the joke of a transfer window.
  • Options
    Any realistic opportunity of the play offs went after last Saturday. Deserved what they got and bar the young Irish kid coming in, it will be those eleven that will see out the rest of this season around 10th to 16th position 

• Options
    Acab said:

Only

Ipswich (53)
    Plymouth (51)
    Sheffield Wednesday (47)
    Peterborough (43)
    Bristol Rovers (43)

Have we had any penalties this season... Genuinely cant remember if we have or not
    One against Plymouth at home (but that one has already been scrubbed with the rest of the goals that night)
  • Options
    Acab said:

Only

Ipswich (53)
    Plymouth (51)
    Sheffield Wednesday (47)
    Peterborough (43)
    Bristol Rovers (43)

...I seem to recall a penalty shoot out of some kind this season.