Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

The influence of the EU on Britain.

Comments

• Options
    edited November 2018
    Surely at least a decent percentage of that 17.4 million are more disgruntled at being misled by the Leave campaign that it would be so easy to exit. Many must now realise that being in the EU is not the source of all of the UK's problems but instead it is the fault of a completely incompetent political class.

The whole shambles must have made a lot of people question who they should really put their trust in and maybe wonder if the EU were ever that bad after all.
  • Options
    bobmunro said:

Southbank said:

Does anybody know who is financing the Peoples Vote campaign other than George Soros and the dry cleaning guy? They are bombarding MPs with specially commissioned polls for each constituency and opening shops with specially branded propaganda food. None of this comes cheap. Where is the money coming from?

Russia - they are feeling bad about what they did in 2016.
    I see the millionaire Roland Rudd is also financing it along with the millionaire Hungarian George Soros and the millionaire dry cleaning guy. Any other millionaires out there trying to subvert our democracy?
    Obviously they are not part of any elite, tho.
  • Options

Surely at least a decent percentage of that 17.4 million are more disgruntled by being misled by the Leave campaign that it would be so easy to exit. Many must now realise that being in the EU is not the source of all of the UK's problems but instead it is the fault of a completely incompetent political class.

The whole shambles must have made a lot of people question who they should really put their trust in and maybe wonder if the EU were ever that bad after all.

I agree with you entirely about the incompetent political class. It is a huge problem for us and, even leaving Brexit to one side, makes it impossible to fix any of our problems as a country.
    I was hoping that Brexit would stimulate the emergence of real politucal leadership to replace the enfeebled managerialism which we have now. No sign of that yet. Staying in the EU will mean more of the same rubbish we have had for years.
  • Options

Our democracy was subverted by illegal Brexit campaign funding, the malicious use of lies and disinformation by the Brexit campaign and the interference of Russia during the 2016 vote. The People’s Vote campaign are trying to right that wrong and therefore restore our democracy.

So you are not worried where the money is coming from when it is something you support, only if it is for something you oppose?
  • Options
    Southbank I love the way you keep fighting our corner but it's time to let it go.
    The reality is that the country is split 50 /50 but on Charlton life it's more like 95 /5in favour of remain.
    Just leave them to argue among themselves.
  • Options

Southbank I love the way you keep fighting our corner but it's time to let it go.
    The reality is that the country is split 50 /50 but on Charlton life it's more like 95 /5in favour of remain.
    Just leave them to argue among themselves.

I find it useful to understand where Remainers are coming from. It helps in broader campaigning and were there to be another referendum it will help when I am out campaigning.
    Also there are reasonable Remainers here who do engage sensibly and who make me think, as well as the swivel eyed foaming mouth fanatics (you know who you are).
    Also I believe that democracies need open debate now more than ever.
  • Options
    Funny how despite the fact that whilst the People's Vote campaign has a multitude of financial supporters, only Soros gets any flak for being one of them.

And that flak seems to come exclusively from people with far-right tendencies.

Or that those who hate Soros don't seem to mind Russia or other foreign influence that actively disrupted the 2016 referendum.
  • Options
    edited November 2018
    Fiiish said:

Funny how despite the fact that whilst the People's Vote campaign has a multitude of financial supporters, only Soros gets any flak for being one of them.

Or that those who hate Soros don't seem to mind Russia or other foreign influence that actively disrupted the 2016 referendum.

If it is wrong for Russia to try to influence our democracy why is it right for Soros to do it? Also I am giving flak to all the millionaires (definitely not part of the elites tho, just ordinary Joes))
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited November 2018
    Southbank said:

Fiiish said:

If it us wrong for Russia to try to influence our democracy why is it right for Soros to do it?
    Soros didn't launder his money via a third party.

At least you finally admitted Russia interfered in the referendum.
  • Options
    Southbank said:

Surely at least a decent percentage of that 17.4 million are more disgruntled by being misled by the Leave campaign that it would be so easy to exit. Many must now realise that being in the EU is not the source of all of the UK's problems but instead it is the fault of a completely incompetent political class.

I agree with you entirely about the incompetent political class. It is a huge problem for us and, even leaving Brexit to one side, makes it impossible to fix any of our problems as a country.
    I was hoping that Brexit would stimulate the emergence of real politucal leadership to replace the enfeebled managerialism which we have now. No sign of that yet. Staying in the EU will mean more of the same rubbish we have had for years.
    More white working class in parliament is the answer.
  • Options
    Southbank said:

Fiiish said:

If it is wrong for Russia to try to influence our democracy why is it right for Soros to do it? Also I am giving flak to all the millionaires (definitely not part of the elites tho, just ordinary Joes))
    https://www.tatler.com/article/jacob-rees-mogg-trivia-facts
  • Options
    bobmunro said:

Southbank said:

It has been a while since that happened, but It would be a step forward to have more MPs who had some real experience of life outside the political bubble.
  • Options
    Southbank said:

bobmunro said:

Southbank said:

Does anybody know who is financing the Peoples Vote campaign other than George Soros and the dry cleaning guy? They are bombarding MPs with specially commissioned polls for each constituency and opening shops with specially branded propaganda food. None of this comes cheap. Where is the money coming from?

Russia - they are feeling bad about what they did in 2016.
    I see the millionaire Roland Rudd is also financing it along with the millionaire Hungarian George Soros and the millionaire dry cleaning guy. Any other millionaires out there trying to subvert our democracy?
    Obviously they are not part of any elite, tho.
    Where were you when Murdoch, Banks et all were pushing for a second referendum for many years.
  • Options
    edited November 2018
    A further comment from me...I've heard May saying she is off round the country over next few days and weeks to 'sell' her deal to the public.....that'll be the same public she won't give another vote to....so whats the point? What on earth does she hope to gain from such an action? I also heard her NOT answer two questions.. will we be better off outside the EU than in it? and if she looses the vote "will she resign"? Both questions she waffled about but did not give a direct answer. May is convinced, in her own mind,she has negotiated a good deal....however whether you voted Leave or Remain....this deal is poor for everyone involved. I hope its voted down and then May decides to ask the people "Is this the deal you want? or No deal? or keep the status quo? If she is so convinced ask the people!!
    UKIP are now in disarray, even Farage, (I've got my kids and I German Passports.. so stuff you lot) is trying to force the new leader out.....the old saying is you reap what you sow>
  • Options
    Southbank said:

bobmunro said:

Southbank said:

It has been a while since that happened, but It would be a step forward to have more MPs who had some real experience of life outside the political bubble.
    This much is true
  • Options

Our democracy was subverted by illegal Brexit campaign funding, the malicious use of lies and disinformation by the Brexit campaign and the interference of Russia during the 2016 vote. The People’s Vote campaign is trying to right that wrong and therefore restore our democracy.

The People’s Vote ... yet another populist sound bite.

The previous vote was also voted for by the people ... or did we invite another species to vote?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Ah so @southbank has finally blown the Soros dogwhistle.

Right then mate, I'll let you in on something. I'm a beneficiary of George Soros. To the tune of €1500.

What did I do with this money? Did I use this wall of money to set about subverting Czech or UK democracy to help him make more billions (as the alt.right would suppose and suggest).?

Well. I used it to set up the Czech version of the WhatDoTheyKnow website. The website used to force for example the full disclosure of the West Ham Olympic Stadium contract. The website that could assist you in getting information that would help you uncover whether George Soros had clandestinely contributed funds to some public body.

As a result of this I joined a community comprising some of the most wonderful people I have ever met. For example in Hungary the people who run the same FOI site have for their troubles been raided, physically threatened by police and shadowy private persons, had their computers taken, been subjected to spurious intimidating tax audits..for running a website which helps people use an active law to seek information about their own public bodies.

This is the sort of thing Soros' Open Society Fund does. You can easily go to their website and see what they do. I somehow doubt you will like it. But you will struggle to demonstrate that it is anti-democratic. It gives voice to the weak, the under-represented, the discriminated against. I think that is something a mature, self-confident democracy welcomes.

So I'd think twice before blowing that particular dogwhistle here, if I were you...

He is openly campaigning to reverse Brexit and funding that campaign, whatever else good he does I do not appreciate him interfering in our elections, along with Obama etc when they did the same thing.
    Foreign interference is not welcome, whether from Russia or Hungary.
  • Options
    Fiiish said:

Southbank said:

Fiiish said:

If it us wrong for Russia to try to influence our democracy why is it right for Soros to do it?

Fiiish said:

Southbank said:

Fiiish said:

They certainly came round and forced me to vote.
    Remain, as it happens
  • Options
    edited November 2018

stonemuse said:

Our democracy was subverted by illegal Brexit campaign funding, the malicious use of lies and disinformation by the Brexit campaign and the interference of Russia during the 2016 vote. The People’s Vote campaign is trying to right that wrong and therefore restore our democracy.

The People’s Vote ... yet another populist sound bite.

The previous vote was also voted for by the people ... or did we invite another species to vote?
    I hate the term People’s Vote. It is a second referendum. No different to second referendums held in many other countries when the government decides it needs to get the electorate to confirm a particular course is what they really want. Especially when that course has such radical consequences for generations to come and the original vote was so marginal. If you believe in democracy and the long term benefits of your Brexit vision why are you so afraid of a second confirming Referendum.
    If you have been reading my posts as closely as you seem to intimate, then you must be aware that I am not against a second referendum if it goes that far.

In fact, on the original Brexit thread that was deleted, I predicted a second referendum just weeks after the first was finalised.

Glad to see you dislike the term too.
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!