Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

The influence of the EU on Britain.

Comments

• edited February 2018
    seth plum said:

Chippy posts here, and says he voted leave, and his blanket comments regarding 'the Irish' are not exactly what you might call gracious.
    Have you missed that stuff? Maybe my antennae is too tuned in on that particular topic.

I don't know him, have never met him and have never had a proper conversation with him.

I could look in many places to find internet posts to suit a certain train of thought. I'm talking about in the real, big bad world out there. I stand by that.
  • Looks like we both suffer from quoting issues.

• Anyway i am not using 'certain places on the internet' but on this actual thread that we both post on, up close and personal if you like.
  • Chippy posts here, and says he voted leave, and his blanket comments regarding 'the Irish' are not exactly what you might call gracious.
    Have you missed that stuff? Maybe my antennae is too tuned in on that particular topic.

I have every good reason too as i am part irish. And all of that part that gave me it is all bad.
  • Rothko said:

A man who clearly loves and cares for his country

He wasn't the best Prime Minister but always struck me as honest - apart from cheating on his wife with Edwina Currie! Mind you I thought Liam Fox left parliament in disgrace - Are we supposed to have forgotten and he can be slipped back in without anybody noticing?
    Cheating on your partner is one of the most dishonest and quite disgusting things anyone can do. But seeing as its you john, its quite ok.
    What's your feelings about Boris in that case then?
    What part of anyone do you not understand. Think shooters and me need to save you a seat in our evening class.
  • Southbank said:

Anybody's referendum ballot look like this, mine did not
    https://t.co/h7smMiKpwX

I'm unsure what you read into the referendum question at all, given that you recently stated you voted for a 'soft' Brexit and have moved towards a 'hard' Brexit since...
  • edited February 2018

Chippy posts here, and says he voted leave, and his blanket comments regarding 'the Irish' are not exactly what you might call gracious.

I have every good reason too as i am part irish. And all of that part that gave me it is all bad.

The trouble I have with that is you use your personal antipathy to tarnish and hate a whole nation or peoples.
    Now what is that definition of racist?
  • edited February 2018
    Southbank said:

But there are different ways of leaving the EU. The chap who made the comment on the form needs to understand that there is what people call a soft Brexit and what people call a hard Brexit. It isn't that difficult and the ballot did not stipulate either. Corbyn's statement did not change the party's position on Brexit, just clarified that the Labour party wants a soft Brexit. As do a significant number of Tory MPs.

Look at all the polls and that is what a clear majority of the public want. Oh but I forgot, hard Brexiters only pretend to want democracy. I will agree that a clear majority of those who voted for Brexit probably wanted a hard one. But when you consider the 48% who voted to remain and almost certainly would prefer the damage limitation of a soft Brexit alongside the Brexiters who wanted it, it should be no surprise the polls are telling us that.
  • seth plum said:

The trouble I have with that is you use your personal antipathy to tarnish and hate a whole nation or peoples.
    What you blabbing on about.
  • Sponsored links:

• cafcpolo said:

Good to see the pissing match is continuing...You lot have jobs right? :wink:

What's been going on? Skim reading tells me that we're taking cricket back from the world?

My job is recruitment. Unfortunately for me, I do this in a country in the heart of the booming EU, with a national unemployment rate of 3.2%. I've got nobody to interview.

It's only 4.4% over here, in the heart of booming England, with a population of 5-6 times that of where you are.

:wink:
    Yes. However the difference is that we don't have this zero hours fake jobs shit. We don't have unpaid interns. Amazon not only offer people proper contracts, they have had to pay above the going rates, and advertise like hell, just to get the staff they need. And the PM joined with the Prague Mayor to deliver the CEO of Uber a simple message: obey the employment laws or fuck off. AirBnB will be next.

It's what we do, to coin a phrase, In Europe.

Oh and BTW growth of 1.7% isn't exactly a boom.

It's still only 4.4%, right?

I know that our figures are never comparable to any other nation. Ever. Unless it's to show Britain in a poor light.

It's what you do, to coin a phrase :wink:

Fortunately my glass is more half full than empty most of the time so I look to take the positives (please refrain from going down the "so, tell me what these positives are that you speak of. I'm genuinely interested to know" route) :smiley:

Growth is growth. Slowly, slowly catchy monkey and all that.
    So we're one of the richest countries on earth but anything other than recession should be acceptable to us? Is 1% going to catch the monkey? 0.5%? 0.1?

Just the latest spin from the right wing that everything's going swimmingly whilst in reality even the threat of Brexit has effected growth.
    You really don't need to claim everything is right wing just to discredit it. There is a common theme that people are following of late. If you disagree with it, or it's news that doesn't fit in with your train of thought, then it must be a right wing 'thing'.

Quick, easy and lazy way of making something taboo.

Also, any sentence that starts with 'So' can automatically be ignored as it is, more often than not, followed by a statement that makes loads of assumptions.
    Calling bullshit on that my sarcastic spanner chum.

The facts are the Brexit agenda is being predominantly driven by those on the right (and quite clearly far to the right too). Criticism of that agenda can only be linked by association to those pushing it...who by and large happen to be right wingers.

I reserve a special level of contempt for Kate Hoey btw...
    I said that unemployment was 4.4% and that growth is growth. Nothing more. You then went off on some right wing rant as if I was peddling some sort of agenda.

I wont apologise for always looking to take the positives from any given situation. There's always a light, no matter how dim and small, if you look hard enough.
    What kind of jobs are these for productivity is not growing in the UK, thus wages are stagnant. The difference between 4.5% and 7.5% unemployment across many parts of Europe is not huge and yet western Europe has experienced wage growth as well as a stable currency making imports and foreign holidays cheaper. And today inflation in the UK outflanks wage growth so many, many workers suffer a cut in living standards due in the main to currency devaluation.

What kind of GDP growth? Is this for Banks and big corporations of does this reach out into the regions of the UK? "It's not our bloody GDP it's yours" as proffered by the heckler at a Brexit hustings up in the North East

Is this really about right vs left. Or is it more about the gini coefficient, the growing differences between rich and poor. This the result of third way neoliberal policies plus globalisation. Three decades of wage stagnation and no investment in much of the UK outside of the M25, Oxbridge, Brighton and Manchester has had an effect. The 58-42 landslide for leave in the regions was a response to this - that is what is being discussed by @Southbank and others in parallel to the day's events.

Of course you are right to take the positives for that is all that we can do. But we should also seek to position ourselves, our children and our children's children(!) for the future. As the Talking Heads sang all those years ago:
    We may find ourselves in a beautiful house
    With a beautiful wife
    And we might ask ourselves, well
    How did we get here?

Many will be oblivious as to how we got here and where we go next. Some have woken up to the fact that this is "not their beautiful house / beautiful life". And they will respond accordingly.
  • edited February 2018

seth plum said:

I am blabbing on about this comment from Big Bad World:

I've not heard one leave voter mention 'foreigners' in a disparaging light.

...And I am using you as an example.
  • Southbank said:

Sure but the Leave campaign was very clear about NOT leaving the single market and not specifying the final outcome. That is why we are where we are today. We all know that a campaign advocating a hard Brexit stood no chance.
  • Southbank said:

I'm unsure what you read into the referendum question at all, given that you recently stated you voted for a 'soft' Brexit and have moved towards a 'hard' Brexit since...
    Misquoting people is not the same as winning an argument.
    I used the term 'soft' to explain that prior to the referendum it was not top of my concerns. After the referendum it went to the top because I believe democracy is more important than anything else.
  • Southbank said:

Southbank said:

Misquoting people is not the same as winning an argument.
    I used the term 'soft' to explain that prior to the referendum it was not top of my concerns. After the referendum it went to the top because I believe democracy is more important than anything else.
    You voted leave. Our democracy is defining what Leave means. What's not to like?
  • Southbank said:

But there are different ways of leaving the EU. The chap who made the comment on the form needs to understand that there is what people call a soft Brexit and what people call a hard Brexit. It isn't that difficult and the ballot did not stipulate either. Corbyn's statement did not change the party's position on Brexit, just clarified that the Labour party wants a soft Brexit. As do a significant number of Tory MPs.

Look at all the polls and that is what a clear majority of the public want. Oh but I forgot, hard Brexiters only pretend to want democracy. I will agree that a clear majority of those who voted for Brexit probably wanted a hard one. But when you consider the 48% who voted to remain and almost certainly would prefer the damage limitation of a soft Brexit alongside the Brexiters who wanted it, it should be no surprise the polls are telling us that.
    The flaw in your argument is that there is no such thing as a 'soft' Brexit-as the EU is making clear all the time. It is one or the other. Only fantasists amongst the Tories and Labour are kidding themselves that it is.
  • seth plum said:

seth plum said:

Thanks i have every reason too, seeing as i am related.
  • Southbank said:

Southbank said:

The flaw in your argument is that there is no such thing as a 'soft' Brexit-as the EU is making clear all the time. It is one or the other. Only fantasists amongst the Tories and Labour are kidding themselves that it is.
    On this I agree with you. All versions of brexit are a hard brexit in my view, and I imagine that you would agree that all versions of border control or checks make it a 'hard' border.
  • Wage stagnation started as a result of the criminal actions of a number of bankers who rather than being locked up, they kept their jobs and are not subject to wage stagnation. Was all that the fault of the EU? It seems to me, all the people getting the blame, the EU, foreigners, Civil Servants, Benefit Claimants etc are blamed by the elite to suit their own ends and the ones who were to blame seem to have been forgotten in all this.
  • edited February 2018

seth plum said:

seth plum said:

Thanks i have every reason too, seeing as i am related.
    You are related to Big Bad World?

Anyway I hope Big Bad World can acknowledge you as an example of a leave voter being disparaging to foreigners.
  • Sponsored links:

• edited February 2018
    Southbank said:

Southbank said:

Are you being serious? Of course there is - remaining in a customs Union is a big part of a soft Brexit. Ask yourself a simple question - Are Norway in the EU? Otherwise what is all the fuss about?
  • seth plum said:

seth plum said:

When i lived in Scotland i was called a foreigner on many occasions, but as usual celts can hate the English but when it's the other way round they bleet as usual.
  • seth plum said:

seth plum said:

When i lived in Scotland i was called a foreigner on many occasions, but as usual celts can hate the English but when it's the other way round they bleet as usual.
    I fail to see where you're going with this.
    You are a very present example of a leave voter being disparaging to foreigners and I have pointed that out to Big Bad World because he was doubtful that people with your attitude exist.
    If you indulge in tit for tat racism that is your choice, but it wouldn't be mine.
  • seth plum said:

seth plum said:

That is a bit simplistic - but rather than criticise them for hating us, you think the solution is to hate them back. There is a faux rivalry when it comes to sport etc... like we get at football matches where we hate fellow South Londoners more than anybody else. I had a Scottish girlfriend many moons ago, I have Scottish friends - they don't really hate us!
  • Southbank said:

Southbank said:

Fantasists?! I think you're being deliberately obtuse. Everybody knows that leaving the EU means different things to different people. And that there is a common understanding that a "hard" Brexit means leaving the CU and Single Market whereas a "soft" Brexit involves remaining in the CU/SM.

As an over simplification it's Canada or Norway. That you can't see this or choose not to does not make it so.
  • edited February 2018

Southbank said:

Southbank said:

Fantasists?! I think you're being deliberately obtuse. Everybody knows that leaving the EU means different things to different people. And that there is a common understanding that a "hard" Brexit means leaving the CU and Single Market whereas a "soft" Brexit involves remaining in the CU/SM.

As an over simplification it's Canada or Norway. That you can't see this or choose not to does not make it so.
    It worries me that people believe it is Brexit or no Brexit. I have to give them the benefit of the doubt and assume they are purposely being obtuse, as you say, for their own ends and their reluctance of really doing what the people want when it veers from what they want. I have come to terms with the fact we voted for Brexit. The fault was that the question was badly worded because nobody thought we would vote for Brexit. Pretending otherwise is simply ridiculous.
  • edited February 2018

cafcpolo said:

Good to see the pissing match is continuing...You lot have jobs right? :wink:

What's been going on? Skim reading tells me that we're taking cricket back from the world?

My job is recruitment. Unfortunately for me, I do this in a country in the heart of the booming EU, with a national unemployment rate of 3.2%. I've got nobody to interview.

It's only 4.4% over here, in the heart of booming England, with a population of 5-6 times that of where you are.

:wink:
    Yes. However the difference is that we don't have this zero hours fake jobs shit. We don't have unpaid interns. Amazon not only offer people proper contracts, they have had to pay above the going rates, and advertise like hell, just to get the staff they need. And the PM joined with the Prague Mayor to deliver the CEO of Uber a simple message: obey the employment laws or fuck off. AirBnB will be next.

It's what we do, to coin a phrase, In Europe.

Oh and BTW growth of 1.7% isn't exactly a boom.

It's still only 4.4%, right?

I know that our figures are never comparable to any other nation. Ever. Unless it's to show Britain in a poor light.

It's what you do, to coin a phrase :wink:

Fortunately my glass is more half full than empty most of the time so I look to take the positives (please refrain from going down the "so, tell me what these positives are that you speak of. I'm genuinely interested to know" route) :smiley:

Growth is growth. Slowly, slowly catchy monkey and all that.
    So we're one of the richest countries on earth but anything other than recession should be acceptable to us? Is 1% going to catch the monkey? 0.5%? 0.1?

Just the latest spin from the right wing that everything's going swimmingly whilst in reality even the threat of Brexit has effected growth.
    You really don't need to claim everything is right wing just to discredit it. There is a common theme that people are following of late. If you disagree with it, or it's news that doesn't fit in with your train of thought, then it must be a right wing 'thing'.

Quick, easy and lazy way of making something taboo.

Also, any sentence that starts with 'So' can automatically be ignored as it is, more often than not, followed by a statement that makes loads of assumptions.
    Calling bullshit on that my sarcastic spanner chum.

The facts are the Brexit agenda is being predominantly driven by those on the right (and quite clearly far to the right too). Criticism of that agenda can only be linked by association to those pushing it...who by and large happen to be right wingers.

I reserve a special level of contempt for Kate Hoey btw...
    I said that unemployment was 4.4% and that growth is growth. Nothing more. You then went off on some right wing rant as if I was peddling some sort of agenda.

I wont apologise for always looking to take the positives from any given situation. There's always a light, no matter how dim and small, if you look hard enough.
    What kind of jobs are these for productivity is not growing in the UK, thus wages are stagnant. The difference between 4.5% and 7.5% unemployment across many parts of Europe is not huge and yet western Europe has experienced wage growth as well as a stable currency making imports and foreign holidays cheaper. And today inflation in the UK outflanks wage growth so many, many workers suffer a cut in living standards due in the main to currency devaluation.

What kind of GDP growth? Is this for Banks and big corporations of does this reach out into the regions of the UK? "It's not our bloody GDP it's yours" as proffered by the heckler at a Brexit hustings up in the North East

Is this really about right vs left. Or is it more about the gini coefficient, the growing differences between rich and poor. This the result of third way neoliberal policies plus globalisation. Three decades of wage stagnation and no investment in much of the UK outside of the M25, Oxbridge, Brighton and Manchester has had an effect. The 58-42 landslide for leave in the regions was a response to this - that is what is being discussed by @Southbank and others in parallel to the day's events.

Of course you are right to take the positives for that is all that we can do. But we should also seek to position ourselves, our children and our children's children(!) for the future. As the Talking Heads sang all those years ago:
    We may find ourselves in a beautiful house
    With a beautiful wife
    And we might ask ourselves, well
    How did we get here?

Many will be oblivious as to how we got here and where we go next. Some have woken up to the fact that this is "not their beautiful house / beautiful life". And they will respond accordingly.
    No disrespect, and I mean this sincerely, but WTactualF?

I'm not sure if you're reading me poetry or making a profound statement :wink:

The 'gini coefficient'? I like your style. What's the solution? A redistribution of wealth? How would that work? It's been tried before, with little success. All social systems result in inequality of wealth. That's indisputable.

I give you Price's Law.
  • seth plum said:

seth plum said:

seth plum said:

You are a very present example of a leave voter being disparaging to foreigners and I have pointed that out to Big Bad World because he was doubtful that people with your attitude exist.
    With the greatest respect, do not deliberately misrepresent what I said.
  • seth plum said:

seth plum said:

seth plum said:

With the greatest respect, do not deliberately misrepresent what I said.
    You what?
    If I have misrepresented you, then you are at liberty to put me right and of course I will acknowledge my fault.
    My comments have grown from this bit you wrote:

'I must mix in very different circles, and listen in to different conversations than you as I've not heard one leave voter mention 'foreigners' in a disparaging light. On the contrary, those I know recognise the vital part that those new to our shores play.'

If by misrepresentation you are complaining that I have conflated 'heard' with 'wrote' then I am sorry for that. My overall point is basically that I am surprised you wrote what you wrote, whilst seemingly being blissfully ignorant regarding Chippy and his consistent anti-Irish posts on here.
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!