Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

The influence of the EU on Britain.

Comments

• Southbank said:

Southbank said:

Southbank said:

Anybody's referendum ballot look like this, mine did not
    https://t.co/h7smMiKpwX

But there are different ways of leaving the EU. The chap who made the comment on the form needs to understand that there is what people call a soft Brexit and what people call a hard Brexit. It isn't that difficult and the ballot did not stipulate either. Corbyn's statement did not change the party's position on Brexit, just clarified that the Labour party wants a soft Brexit. As do a significant number of Tory MPs.

Look at all the polls and that is what a clear majority of the public want. Oh but I forgot, hard Brexiters only pretend to want democracy. I will agree that a clear majority of those who voted for Brexit probably wanted a hard one. But when you consider the 48% who voted to remain and almost certainly would prefer the damage limitation of a soft Brexit alongside the Brexiters who wanted it, it should be no surprise the polls are telling us that.
    The flaw in your argument is that there is no such thing as a 'soft' Brexit-as the EU is making clear all the time. It is one or the other. Only fantasists amongst the Tories and Labour are kidding themselves that it is.

Southbank said:

Southbank said:

Southbank said:

Lat.
    The flaw in your argument is that there is no such thing as a 'soft' Brexit-as the EU is making clear all the time. It is one or the other. Only fantasists amongst the Tories and Labour are kidding themselves that it is.
    Are you being serious? Of course there is - remaining in a customs Union is a big part of a soft Brexit. Ask yourself a simple question - Are Norway in the EU? Otherwise what is all the fuss about?
    Don't take my word for it, here is the explanation from a leading and influential Remainer as to why there is no 'soft ' Brexit-its either in or out.
    https://amp.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2018/feb/27/customs-union-brexit-european-union-eu-turkey?__twitter_impression=true
    Southbank said:

Southbank said:

Southbank said:

But there are different ways of leaving the EU. The chap who made the comment on the form needs to understand that there is what people call a soft Brexit and what people call a hard Brexit. It isn't that difficult and the ballot did not stipulate either. Corbyn's statement did not change the party's position on Brexit, just clarified that the Labour party wants a soft Brexit. As do a significant number of Tory MPs.

Look at all the polls and that is what a clear majority of the public want. Oh but I forgot, hard Brexiters only pretend to want democracy. I will agree that a clear majority of those who voted for Brexit probably wanted a hard one. But when you consider the 48% who voted to remain and almost certainly would prefer the damage limitation of a soft Brexit alongside the Brexiters who wanted it, it should be no surprise the polls are telling us that.
    Are you being serious? Of course there is - remaining in a customs Union is a big part of a soft Brexit. Ask yourself a simple question - Are Norway in the EU? Otherwise what is all the fuss about?
    Don't take my word for it, here is the explanation from a leading and influential Remainer as to why there is no 'soft ' Brexit-its either in or out.
    https://amp.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2018/feb/27/customs-union-brexit-european-union-eu-turkey?__twitter_impression=true
    But of course there is a soft Brexit otherwise nobody who wants a hard Brexit will be bothered by what Corbyn said this week. His position is to leave the EU!
    It does not matter what Corbyn or May want-it is what the EU is prepared to give that matters. They will not allow the UK to flout the four freedoms. That has been crystal clear from the start.
    Not according to all the Brexiteers it hasn't. I think we should term them as cake and eat it merchants!
    Yet you're happy for Corbyn to do that exact same thing?
    Corbyn and Labour have moved to support membership of the Customs Union. They would like a say in new FTAs but that is clearly up for negotiation. Their position is an entirely legitimate one for the opposition to take. One can call it opportunist and populist but at the same time it is logical and popular. Basic common sense compared to the ramblings of Fox and Johnson.

Some want Labour to go further vis a vis the single market but the next move is May's speech on Friday.
    I thought the Labour position was to seek membership of a customs union, rather than the custeoms union, a big disctinction, I think. Do they not also want to be able to negotiate their own trade agreements with those countries where the EU do not have one?
  • "Dictatorship"

Says it all really.
  • @Big_Bad_World

Getting back to the point of the thread, what are your views on Sir John Major's speech? Among other things, he doesn't seem as sanguine as you about the state of the economy...

Where have I made any comment, positive or negative, on the state of the economy?

Stop trying to be too clever.
    Well I took your comment to me this morning to be a counter that the U.K. Is doing perfectly well because it has 4.4% unemployment rate. It is certainly true that you very rarely make any comment that offers a clear unambiguous personal opinion on anything. I am simply inviting you to do so now, since Sir John Major's speech is the Brexit talking point of the day.
    #games #nicetry #answerthebloodyquestion
    You play the game of doing your best to derail it
    No. There is a difference between playing the game you mention and not wanting to play your games. The way in which you approach others, with sly little digs to try and get them to engage in your game of superiority, is quite an ugly thing to see/watch.

I choose to take no part in it. If that irks you and leads you to make wild assumptions and level accusations against me then you carry on. It affects me not.
    I am not sure what "game" I am playing by asking you what you thought about one of the most important and clear -eyed speeches on Brexit that has been delivered for some time. It's central to what the thread is about, FFS. As for your other remarks, I would only point out that it was you who "approached" my -clearly frivolous - comment, and not the other way round. If you don't like being dug, don't dig.

• edited March 2018

Also, @seriously_red , what are your thoughts on Pareto Distribution?

I think we were sadly missing it on Saturday!
    I've lol'd this, and rightly so. Look up the law, I'm assuming, rightly or wrongly, that you're not aware of it. Apologies if you are.
    Also for you and @MuttleyCAFC does this piece about Peter Mair make any sense to you?
    What a thought provoking composition. Thank you for putting it up. It most certainly gives food for thought on a myriad of issues and the political fall out between mainstream parties and the electorate.

Said fall out, I believe, has also happened due to the historical landscape of only having a two party system. I think people have been crying out for alternatives for years, even decades. Unfortunately a number of those people grabbed hold of the first beacon of light that was given to them, no matter how far removed from their current political beliefs that party was. So long as there was some common territory/ground then that was enough for them to dip their toe in to that particular party's world. As time went on these people felt as if they were being attacked by those with differing views (the centre lurchers that also found a new voice decrying anyone that didn't subscribe to this new, relatively wishy-washy and high on delegative leadership and responsibility, political vision) and it only served to embolden and strengthen their resolve and, in some cases, pushed them further away from their previously held positions and in to a more marginalised/unsavoury standpoint.

Is it worth reading parts 1-3?
    Your question has pushed me to read 2 & 3 before answering and it most certainly is worth skimming. What the editors have done is find four or five political scientists / philosophers who predicted populism, Brexit and Trump before it happened. They talk of the Trilemma between globalisation, democracy and sovereignty - you can have just two out of three unless compromise is made. And that is exactly the debate we are having in the UK in 2018 over a soft and hard Brexit. For we can have a Customs Union and Single Market but not much say over the rules if we go with Norway.

As Eleanor Roosevelt said "Great minds discuss ideas, average minds discuss events and small minds discuss people". What we have here is Millwall and Charlton fans discussing ideas and events. Occasionally the conversation hits a low but so what. There are enough people here from all sides, and enough with personal connections to Ireland to make this quite illuminating. (For those who don't know my wife's family is from County Claire and she was brought up in Limerick)

As posted before the centre left is somewhat troubled and have been since the crash. On Sunday we will see the outcome of Italian elections plus the SPD membership vote on whether to go into coalition with Merkel. The result of those two decisions will surely affect the ability of Macron and others to lead a drive towards Eurozone Mk2. And that in turn will have the same discussions about economic benefits, gini coefficient and the democratic deficit plus sovereignty of course.

The part of the puzzle I don't understand is the effects of QE - i.e., the ability of nations or the eurozone to print money. When you add that to new technologies such as blockchain and crypto currencies (run by states and not faceless individuals) then we are moving rapidly into uncharted waters which surely require new approaches to philosophy and the political economy.
    I'll try and set aside the time to read parts 1 through 3.

I'm not so sure I agree totally with Roosevelt when she said that "Great minds discuss ideas, average minds discuss events and small minds discuss people". Reason being that so much happens at an individual level that you can't just lump it in with being small minded. That's another lazy way of trying to marginalise people that think differently to you.

All that said, again, thanks for putting the link up.
  • @Big_Bad_World

Getting back to the point of the thread, what are your views on Sir John Major's speech? Among other things, he doesn't seem as sanguine as you about the state of the economy...

Where have I made any comment, positive or negative, on the state of the economy?

Stop trying to be too clever.
    Well I took your comment to me this morning to be a counter that the U.K. Is doing perfectly well because it has 4.4% unemployment rate. It is certainly true that you very rarely make any comment that offers a clear unambiguous personal opinion on anything. I am simply inviting you to do so now, since Sir John Major's speech is the Brexit talking point of the day.
    #games #nicetry #answerthebloodyquestion
    You play the game of doing your best to derail it
    No. There is a difference between playing the game you mention and not wanting to play your games. The way in which you approach others, with sly little digs to try and get them to engage in your game of superiority, is quite an ugly thing to see/watch.

I choose to take no part in it. If that irks you and leads you to make wild assumptions and level accusations against me then you carry on. It affects me not.
    I am not sure what "game" I am playing by asking you what you thought about one of the most important and clear -eyed speeches on Brexit that has been delivered for some time. It's central to what the thread is about, FFS. As for your other remarks, I would only point out that it was you who "approached" my -clearly frivolous - comment, and not the other way round. If you don't like being dug, don't dig.

I think you're more than aware. The man doth protest too much.

Anyway, are we any closer to getting to the bottom of whether or not you changed the question I was answering? Or was it just an innocent mistake due to not having read the previous posts that led to my answer?

As for not liking being dug at, I don't mind. I don't mind at all. I always have a large fly-swat to hand.

• Southbank said:

Southbank said:

Southbank said:

Southbank said:

Southbank said:

Southbank said:

Lat.
    Southbank said:

Southbank said:

Southbank said:

But of course there is a soft Brexit otherwise nobody who wants a hard Brexit will be bothered by what Corbyn said this week. His position is to leave the EU!
    It does not matter what Corbyn or May want-it is what the EU is prepared to give that matters. They will not allow the UK to flout the four freedoms. That has been crystal clear from the start.
    Not according to all the Brexiteers it hasn't. I think we should term them as cake and eat it merchants!
    Yet you're happy for Corbyn to do that exact same thing?
    Corbyn and Labour have moved to support membership of the Customs Union. They would like a say in new FTAs but that is clearly up for negotiation. Their position is an entirely legitimate one for the opposition to take. One can call it opportunist and populist but at the same time it is logical and popular. Basic common sense compared to the ramblings of Fox and Johnson.

Some want Labour to go further vis a vis the single market but the next move is May's speech on Friday.
    I thought the Labour position was to seek membership of a customs union, rather than the custeoms union, a big disctinction, I think. Do they not also want to be able to negotiate their own trade agreements with those countries where the EU do not have one?
    Yes, there is a distinction between a customs union and the customs union but we cannot be sure what "a customs union" entails. However it is possible to predict that the EU might simply offer membership of the CU as they simply do not have the time nor the inclination to come up with variations. This report from the BBC has two key quotes - my reading is that Labour wants a say in new deals, not for theUK to negotiate on its own.
  • Southbank said:

Reply to Seth
    I agree with almost everything you say here. I heard Blair on the radio this morning saying that he is going to ask the EU to change its immigration policies to allow the UK to stay in.

Whether he is sincere or not, he also does not seem to understand that the EU is a political as well as an economic project. Its end goal is a federal Europe, however long and tortuous that journey may be. It will not change its direction to suit the requirements of any one of its members, except the most important one-Germany.

As long as Germany is on board with the project the 4 freedoms will be inviolable and countries that want to be part of it have to accept that. The 'negotiations' are delusional, demoralising and potentially dangerous, as we can see with the EU's plan to annex Northern Ireland if they cannot get their way.

Again you seem to promote the idea that "The EU" is controlled by supra-national little green men. Of course it is a political project. Politics changes direction. Even if it were true that Germany dictates the entire direction of the EU (and Macron might have something to say about that, not to mention the mad Poles), you yourself were wanting to cite the changing political landscape in Germany in your post yesterday. Blair was quite rightly saying that there is a changing attitude to immigration across Europe - including in Germany; you cited the relative strength of the AfD yourself. I don't like Blair because of the values that emerged from him over the years but as a global politician there remain few more competent and I would not be at all surprised if he gets a ready audience for his proposal.

• Sponsored links:

• Southbank said:

Reply to Seth
    I agree with almost everything you say here. I heard Blair on the radio this morning saying that he is going to ask the EU to change its immigration policies to allow the UK to stay in.

Whether he is sincere or not, he also does not seem to understand that the EU is a political as well as an economic project. Its end goal is a federal Europe, however long and tortuous that journey may be. It will not change its direction to suit the requirements of any one of its members, except the most important one-Germany.

As long as Germany is on board with the project the 4 freedoms will be inviolable and countries that want to be part of it have to accept that. The 'negotiations' are delusional, demoralising and potentially dangerous, as we can see with the EU's plan to annex Northern Ireland if they cannot get their way.

Again you seem to promote the idea that "The EU" is controlled by supra-national little green men. Of course it is a political project. Politics changes direction. Even if it were true that Germany dictates the entire direction of the EU (and Macron might have something to say about that, not to mention the mad Poles), you yourself were wanting to cite the changing political landscape in Germany in your post yesterday. Blair was quite rightly saying that there is a changing attitude to immigration across Europe - including in Germany; you cited the relative strength of the AfD yourself. I don't like Blair because of the values that emerged from him over the years but as a global politician there remain few more competent and I would not be at all surprised if he gets a ready audience for his proposal.

If you would like a bet on the EU abandoning the free movement of people in the next 5 years I would be willing to take it. It would be a win win for me as I want it abandoned.
  • edited March 2018
    "The EU's plan to annex Northern Ireland"

Seriously who actually believes this shit?
  • edited March 2018

https://youtu.be/FCFnRrgEtMM

...and with that it's night from me.

!If you're living in a third world country, living by a river and getting eaten by crocadiles then your f**ked!... it's the zero of zero and zero is a magnet... but maybe those people are happy than those living in a gated community?" Fantastic - thanks for sharing.

As per your question yesterday, part of the solution is the welfare state - brought together in the 1940s but perhaps the parameters need revisiting. The NHS and social care is screaming out for more resources but that's mostly for the over 50s. So what about training, fulfilment and basic incomes for the 80-90% of working age who aren't making big money?
  • Fiiish said:

Downing Street, for a start!

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2018/feb/28/eu-publishes-plan-to-keep-northern-ireland-in-customs-union
  • Tusk has said that there can be no frictionless border between the ROI and NI without there being membership of THE Customs Union and Single Market. The DUP won’t allow NI having any separate status than that of the rest of the UK. The government are intent on leaving both the CU and SM.

Seems to me that we have finally arrived at an impasse that can be navigated. It’s a red line for both. One in ideology and the other because they are hamstrung by their own parties internal split with a Prime Minister unable to lead.

How much further can we travel towards the exit door before the House of Commons take responsibility and force a change in direction before it’s too late.
  • edited March 2018
    Edit: Wow, totally broke the quote system.

Looking at that link @seriously_red - your reading of the situation is probably right.
  • Fiiish said:

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2018/feb/28/eu-publishes-plan-to-keep-northern-ireland-in-customs-union
    There's a difference between saying it and believing it. Most of what the government says I doubt even they believe is true.
  • Fiiish said:

Fiiish said:

There's a difference between saying it and believing it. Most of what the government says I doubt even they believe is true.
    I agree entirely there, however, it's not impossible to see how it could be the first step towards annexing NI. If the government didn't like that, the idiots shouldn't have agreed to it in the first place.

Clowns, the lot of 'em.
  • I'm sure this will be filed under Project Fear...

"https://www.ft.com/content/11614614-1ca0-11e8-956a-43db76e69936"

What's it say?
  • Let's ignore the conspiracy theory that the EU is plotting to break up the United Kingdom for a second and just look at that claim...

"The EU is trying to annex Northern Ireland"

The EU is not a country, it owns no sovereign land nor an army. How in the fucking hell can it annex Northern Ireland? The Vatican City is in a better position to annex Northern Ireland for crying out loud. At least it fits the basic criteria of being able to do so.
  • Sponsored links:

• Also, @seriously_red , what are your thoughts on Pareto Distribution?

I think we were sadly missing it on Saturday!
    I've lol'd this, and rightly so. Look up the law, I'm assuming, rightly or wrongly, that you're not aware of it. Apologies if you are.
    Also for you and @MuttleyCAFC does this piece about Peter Mair make any sense to you?
    What a thought provoking composition. Thank you for putting it up. It most certainly gives food for thought on a myriad of issues and the political fall out between mainstream parties and the electorate.

Said fall out, I believe, has also happened due to the historical landscape of only having a two party system. I think people have been crying out for alternatives for years, even decades. Unfortunately a number of those people grabbed hold of the first beacon of light that was given to them, no matter how far removed from their current political beliefs that party was. So long as there was some common territory/ground then that was enough for them to dip their toe in to that particular party's world. As time went on these people felt as if they were being attacked by those with differing views (the centre lurchers that also found a new voice decrying anyone that didn't subscribe to this new, relatively wishy-washy and high on delegative leadership and responsibility, political vision) and it only served to embolden and strengthen their resolve and, in some cases, pushed them further away from their previously held positions and in to a more marginalised/unsavoury standpoint.

Is it worth reading parts 1-3?
    Your question has pushed me to read 2 & 3 before answering and it most certainly is worth skimming. What the editors have done is find four or five political scientists / philosophers who predicted populism, Brexit and Trump before it happened. They talk of the Trilemma between globalisation, democracy and sovereignty - you can have just two out of three unless compromise is made. And that is exactly the debate we are having in the UK in 2018 over a soft and hard Brexit. For we can have a Customs Union and Single Market but not much say over the rules if we go with Norway.

As Eleanor Roosevelt said "Great minds discuss ideas, average minds discuss events and small minds discuss people". What we have here is Millwall and Charlton fans discussing ideas and events. Occasionally the conversation hits a low but so what. There are enough people here from all sides, and enough with personal connections to Ireland to make this quite illuminating. (For those who don't know my wife's family is from County Claire and she was brought up in Limerick)

As posted before the centre left is somewhat troubled and have been since the crash. On Sunday we will see the outcome of Italian elections plus the SPD membership vote on whether to go into coalition with Merkel. The result of those two decisions will surely affect the ability of Macron and others to lead a drive towards Eurozone Mk2. And that in turn will have the same discussions about economic benefits, gini coefficient and the democratic deficit plus sovereignty of course.

The part of the puzzle I don't understand is the effects of QE - i.e., the ability of nations or the eurozone to print money. When you add that to new technologies such as blockchain and crypto currencies (run by states and not faceless individuals) then we are moving rapidly into uncharted waters which surely require new approaches to philosophy and the political economy.
    I'll try and set aside the time to read parts 1 through 3.

I'm not so sure I agree totally with Roosevelt when she said that "Great minds discuss ideas, average minds discuss events and small minds discuss people". Reason being that so much happens at an individual level that you can't just lump it in with being small minded. That's another lazy way of trying to marginalise people that think differently to you.

All that said, again, thanks for putting the link up.
    This is not to trivialized the lived experience, far from it. And the whole point is that the metropolitan elites became detached from all of the individuals in regions which voted by a landslide for leave. No this is about those who tend to attack individuals playing the man not the ball or seek to justify a point of view based upon what thier mother / sister / brother in law said the other night. For sure we have a wide variety of social contacts but my point is that one can link a view from an individual to an event, a concept and an overview of society.

You have shared those videos, many share articles, and I have shared surveys from this site showing views on Customs Union etc. If one doesn't take in the bigger picture then it is oh so easy for remainers to blame the leave voters and/or box them up as little Englanders etc.
  • In one of the many universes on the Ireland question perhaps May is very pissed off having to get into bed with the DUP, because given the cavalier approach of many brexit politicians I can see them wishing an Irish Sea border solution could happen, despite May's protestations at PMQ's yesterday.
  • Southbank said:

Southbank said:

Southbank said:

Southbank said:

Southbank said:

Southbank said:

Southbank said:

Apparently there's another interpretation of what Southbank means when he says, "... I was a soft Leaver until the referendum...", as he did recently, before explaining that the EU's approach has moved him to the hardest of Brexits possible.

Now of course there's only one version.
    Wrong again-I was always in favour of completely leaving the EU, but it was not top of my concerns. Now I am still in favour of completely leaving the EU and it is top of my concerns.
    Got it now?
    Not really tbh. What I do get is that if I were using any adjective to describe my initial approach to Brexit I think I'd avoid using a term like, "soft", which has very clear connotations in this context. Even taking you at your word; indifferent about, unmoved by, apathetic about, uninterested in, dispassionate about and plenty more adjectives might have been more appropriate than "soft"...it's all academic of course but indicative of Leavers changing the narrative to suit the circumstances.
  • Jordon Peterson sounds like Kermit the Frog

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kk4EIVgEe5U
  • Southbank said:

Southbank said:

Southbank said:

Southbank said:

Southbank said:

Southbank said:

Southbank said:

Apparently there's another interpretation of what Southbank means when he says, "... I was a soft Leaver until the referendum...", as he did recently, before explaining that the EU's approach has moved him to the hardest of Brexits possible.

Now of course there's only one version.
    Wrong again-I was always in favour of completely leaving the EU, but it was not top of my concerns. Now I am still in favour of completely leaving the EU and it is top of my concerns.
    Got it now?
    Not really tbh. What I do get is that if I were using any adjective to describe my initial approach to Brexit I think I'd avoid using a term like, "soft", which has very clear connotations in this context. Even taking you at your word; indifferent about, unmoved by, apathetic about, uninterested in, dispassionate about and plenty more adjectives might have been more appropriate than "soft"...it's all academic of course but indicative of Leavers changing the narrative to suit the circumstances.
    You are right...
    I should not have used the word 'soft'
  • se9addick said:

An Irish Sea border would be the end of the UK, an absolutely terrible idea.

The correct answer to all of this is for the UK to remain in the Customs Union and the Single Market with all that it entails. If we were to do this;

- the democratic mandate to leave the EU would be fulfilled
    - the good Friday agreement would not be jeapordised
    - the UK would not become fractured
    - our economy would be protected

Taking the CU & SM off the table before negotiations had even begun was probably the second stupidest thing May has done in this whole shambles (triggering article 50 before she had a clue what she was doing is probably number 1).

Whuch would mean staying under ECJ control and accepting freedom of movement.
    How many of the 17.4 million thought that woud be the result of leaving the EU do you think?
  • edited March 2018
    Southbank said:

se9addick said:

An Irish Sea border would be the end of the UK, an absolutely terrible idea.

The correct answer to all of this is for the UK to remain in the Customs Union and the Single Market with all that it entails. If we were to do this;

- the democratic mandate to leave the EU would be fulfilled
    - the good Friday agreement would not be jeapordised
    - the UK would not become fractured
    - our economy would be protected

Taking the CU & SM off the table before negotiations had even begun was probably the second stupidest thing May has done in this whole shambles (triggering article 50 before she had a clue what she was doing is probably number 1).

Whuch would mean staying under ECJ control and accepting freedom of movement.
    How many of the 17.4 million thought that woud be the result of leaving the EU do you think?
    Given this was proposed multiple times by the official Leave campaigns and all prominent Brexiters then those in the 17.4million either agreed or they weren't paying attention.
  • edited March 2018
    Double post.
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!