Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton vs Wigan: Post match views

Comments

• Options

Find it sad that people now begin to call our manager "Gobby".

Atleast he had the balls to walk into a press conference after the game, made no excuses, said we were out played and he lost the battle in terms of tactics. He can put his hands and say we were outplayed and that they got it wrong, rather than pathetic childish comments.

As Karl said, they are together as a team when they win as well as when they lose.

Really is laughable how some people react to one result.

Not really when some of our fans seem to think we are far better than we actually are. We had a couple of false dawns in the Championship when we strung together a few decent results and then fell apart.

Last night showed our limitations and I can't see how we can try to play this style of football without players who are technically more adept. I don't particularly rate KR and I can't see us mounting a promotion challenge.

I would love us to do well this season but I just can't see it.
    I think you are doing an injustice to Wigan, they are good team, their manager won the league with Pompey last year and will be there or there about's at the end of the season.

It's a funny league, you can't call results, everyone is capable of beating each other, look at some of the results last night, who would have thought Blackpool would be getting results and sitting where they are in the league a year ago as well as Shrewsbury, we have the foundations of a very good team with exciting youngsters coming threw, you don't just start name calling the manager and give up on the strength of one game.
    The team have already won games that would have been drawn or lost last season i.e Southend, Oldham and Bristol Rovers. the only thing that is evident that as soon as we lose a game as we did against Plymouth everyone quick to criticise rather than support the team.
    that was League Two though... Paul Cook has never managed in League One prior to this season
    Incorrect, Paul Cook got Chesterfield to the league 1 plays off in 2014/5 losing to Preston in the semi finals.
    Good spot... My bad, I always thought that Cook got Chesterfield promoted and then instantly left for Portsmouth
  • Options
    We was flat Wigan should have been 2 up in the opening 5 minutes but wasn't.

Big josh showed he is not the man to fire ourselves up with the header from the rebound only needing guidance into an empty net.

Wigan niggled and niggled away until our players lost focus.

Our depth in the squad showed with the subs introduced offered very little

Last but not least Robinsons reluctance to alter formation no matter the score is beginning to grind as it did last season

Still it's been a positive start to the season and providing we can beat the far less capable teams this year instead of drawing we will be in the mix
  • Options
    To be honest this result didn't come as a great shock and as somebody said you are going to lose at some point. I thought Wigan were excellent, strong, direct if somewhat niggerly and for sure some of their players may be in line for a BAFTA this year. That said too many of our players had an off night notably Kashi and Clark which indicates that we don't have enough strength in depth to rotate the squad when required.

So onto Gillingham which on paper is a much easier prospect I expect a better result from that game...lets hope so.
  • Options

Atleast he had the balls to walk into a press conference after the game, made no excuses, said we were out played and he lost the battle in terms of tactics. He can put his hands and say we were outplayed and that they got it wrong, rather than pathetic childish comments.

As Karl said, they are together as a team when they win as well as when they lose.

Not really when some of our fans seem to think we are far better than we actually are. We had a couple of false dawns in the Championship when we strung together a few decent results and then fell apart.

Last night showed our limitations and I can't see how we can try to play this style of football without players who are technically more adept. I don't particularly rate KR and I can't see us mounting a promotion challenge.

I think you are doing an injustice to Wigan, they are good team, there manager won the league with Pompey last year and will be there or there about's at the end of the season.

It's a funny league, you can't call results, everyone is capable of beating each other, look at some of the results last night, who would have thought Blackpool would be getting results and sitting where they are in the league a year ago as well as Shrewsbury, we have the foundations of a very good team with exciting youngsters coming threw, you don't just start name calling the manager and give up on the strength of one game.
    The team have already won games that would have been drawn or lost last season i.e Southend, Oldham and Bristol Rovers. the only thing that is evident that as soon as we lose a game as we did against Plymouth everyone quick to criticise rather than support the team.

I think you are doing an injustice to Wigan, they are good team, there manager won the league with Pompey last year and will be there or there about's at the end of the season.

Agree with this and like the Plymouth game we will bounce back at Gillingham. Paul Cook is a quality manager who has been a success pretty much wherever he has been, the Gills boss has not. Wait and see Gillingham we will bounce right back with Reeves coming into the team
  • Options
    Haven't read the thread yet so I'll keep it short.

Apart from the centre backs pretty much all the outfield players had an off night or were just bettered by their opponent, some looking a bit heavy-legged. The thinness of the squad that we felt might kick in after a dozen games was exposed much sooner, with little ability to change the attacking impetus from the bench; Dodoo tried but looks limited, and sadly KAG doesn't really look to have enough beyond his pace. Still happy with five wins from seven but Wigan exposed our weaknesses and despite some nauseating second half theatrics were deserved winners.
  • Options
    I actually thought we played well last night compared to what I've seen in recent years. For a division 1 game, the quality of football was good.
    I went to Sheff Utd away last season and I thought we played better last night than Sheff Utd did against us then. The trouble was that Wigan looked a division above us.

The BBC stats say it all. We had two shots on target all night and one of those was a really soft half-hearted attempt. 0-3 was flattering to us.

Last night showed that we're certainly not one of the top teams in this division but we could be top 6. (Shrewsbury must be good to have beaten Wigan on Saturday).

Curbs always used to say we'll see where we are after 10 games.
  • Options

I disagree that we have the foundations of a very good team - as much as I'd like to agree with you I just think we're pretty bang average. I'd love to be proved wrong but I just can't see us going through the winter months and coping against physical opponents.

Pearce and Holmes are the only two players that I can say standout and although KR wants us to play nice football he's tactically naive.

We shipped three goals against Oldham and Wigan could have scored a lot more last. Our frailties need to be addressed.

If teams close us down like Wigan did then we have no plan B and physically we will be bullied. I question how astute our manager is.

I'm not giving up on the team but I'm not pretending they're better than they are. I can't see us making the playoffs under KR but I'm happy to be proved wrong.

Amazing, only Pearce and Holmes ?

What about the following players:

De Silva
    Buear
    Foster Caskey
    Kashi
    Clarke
    Marshell
    Reeves
    Josh
    Konsa.

The goals shipped against Oldham, one of which was a penalty the second was a defence error where to central defenders went for the same ball.

We could also look at the positives if possible, the goals scored this season by Holmes, JFC in which top draw.

Two players that will be a major force in any team to come back.

Of the players you've listed I can't comment on Reeves and Marshall as they haven't played and as for the others none of them have stood out based on what I've seen. Our squad is okay at best.
    Surely you would have seen Marshell and Reeves play for Bradford and MK Dons to comment, if so then you would know the sort of quality both players have.
  • Options
    thats the 1st promotion rivals weve truly faced and with that sort of performance it will be possibly playoffs if were lucky;

hopefully just a blip, but them sort of blips we cant afford too many of we were outplayed in every single department tonight, we have had a great start and hopefully last night was on off night our next match should be there for the taking and if any improvement has been made we need to punish gills on saturday.

all well and good robbo coming out and saying i hold my hands up aswell, dont worry mate we were blaming you aswell. I've never sung his praises as i don't think hes the saviour or the 2nd coming. neither have i claimed were going to win the league, the sqaud as ive said from start of august is too thin and that was exposed last night.

wigans dramatics all night was frustrating and for that alone hopefully there bus breaks down last night/today and there stuck on a motorway for a decent length of time - tossers.
  • Options

I disagree that we have the foundations of a very good team - as much as I'd like to agree with you I just think we're pretty bang average. I'd love to be proved wrong but I just can't see us going through the winter months and coping against physical opponents.

Pearce and Holmes are the only two players that I can say standout and although KR wants us to play nice football he's tactically naive.

We shipped three goals against Oldham and Wigan could have scored a lot more last. Our frailties need to be addressed.

If teams close us down like Wigan did then we have no plan B and physically we will be bullied. I question how astute our manager is.

I'm not giving up on the team but I'm not pretending they're better than they are. I can't see us making the playoffs under KR but I'm happy to be proved wrong.

De Silva
    Buear
    Foster Caskey
    Kashi
    Clarke
    Marshell
    Reeves
    Josh
    Konsa.

The goals shipped against Oldham, one of which was a penalty the second was a defence error where to central defenders went for the same ball.

We could also look at the positives if possible, the goals scored this season by Holmes, JFC in which top draw.

Of the players you've listed I can't comment on Reeves and Marshall as they haven't played and as for the others none of them have stood out based on what I've seen. Our squad is okay at best.
    Surely you would have seen Marshell and Reeves play for Bradford and MK Dons to comment, if so then you would know the sort of quality both players have.
    I expect them both to be good for us but I'd like to see them play in our team first. I usually watch our players far more closely than the opposition.

It's not always a given that players reproduce their form when they sign for a new club. Reeves imo is badly needed in midfield and I look forward to him starting.
  • Options

De Silva
    Buear
    Foster Caskey
    Kashi
    Clarke
    Marshell
    Reeves
    Josh
    Konsa.

I expect them both to be good for us but I'd like to see them play in our team first. I usually watch our players far more closely than the opposition.

It's not always a given that players reproduce their form when they sign for a new club. Reeves imo is badly needed in midfield and I look forward to him starting.
    So not someone who follows football then, just your own team.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

De Silva
    Buear
    Foster Caskey
    Kashi
    Clarke
    Marshell
    Reeves
    Josh
    Konsa.

You say it like it's a bad thing.
  • Options

De Silva
    Buear
    Foster Caskey
    Kashi
    Clarke
    Marshell
    Reeves
    Josh
    Konsa.

Ridiculous comment. I hardly feel qualified to make a judgement on a player who I might have seen play a couple of times for the opposing side and who I don't know if they'll fit in to our to side.

I thought Novak was a good signing at this level and it obviously didn't work out for him. I do take an interest in other sides but it's only really watching a player up close a few times and concentrating on their play that enables you to make a decent judgement.

We signed Kermogant who everyone had written off and yet he proved for us to be outstanding.
  • Options
    Nathan Byrne enjoyed his return to The Valley last night, it was a curious one as normally when a player returns he either gets applauded or booed, whereas there was no reaction whatsoever!
  • Options

De Silva
    Buear
    Foster Caskey
    Kashi
    Clarke
    Marshell
    Reeves
    Josh
    Konsa.

What the feck is wrong with that ??????
  • Options

De Silva
    Buear
    Foster Caskey
    Kashi
    Clarke
    Marshell
    Reeves
    Josh
    Konsa.

Enough reason to not rate them then
  • Options

Every one of their players were superior to us in every position. When they attacked they did with pace and purpose, we were slow and cumbersome. Their keeper barely touched the ball all night. I recall in the 2nd half we had a throw by our corner flag in our half and everyone of their players was in our half. Simular happened up the other end minutes later and half our players were still in our half.

They also had two nimble and classy strikers up front who constantly chased and harried.

Noooo ....report them to the FL. Not allowed to play with 2 strikers. Just not on.
  • Options

De Silva
    Buear
    Foster Caskey
    Kashi
    Clarke
    Marshell
    Reeves
    Josh
    Konsa.

I'd be amazed if you watched other teams as closely as you watch Charlton.

Given how much football you do watch, have you really never seen a player who looked good for one club but failed at another? We've had more than our fair share of them over the years, hence "Charltonised".

Let's judge them on how they do in our team, particularly given no-one can be certain Marshall will be the same player after his injury.
  • Options

One more thing in the cold light of day.

No team turned over Chris Powell's title winning team like that, did they?

If Robinson can identify the reasons why that happened and come up with workable solutions, and then if he is backed by RD to put those solutions into practice we might still have a good season. Big ifs though, especially the second one.

Notts County thumped 4-goals past us in one half in what has to be one of the worst performances I've seen at the Valley... thankfully the players decided to show up for the second half and got two consolation goals
    Of course I had thought about that match before I posted. I think there are clear differences, one of which you have already noted, they turned up in the second half. Compare last night where we never had a decent effort second half. More importantly it was towards the end of a season, and I think nearly every runaway leader in a big league has a game like that.

This is early season and Wigan pointed up deficiencies which many people on here feared exist in our squad, and within our management.

On the way home we were trying to remember who was up front in the SCP title team. We started with BWP and Paul Hayes, and looked damn good in several games before we even got Yann, and he took time to get fit and fit in. We tried several others as the season went on, Haynes for example, and of course the infamous cameo from Leon Clarke.

Which I am recalling in order to make my point. I dont care if we are playing 4-5-1 as the default line up, we wont get anywhere unless we have striking options beyond Josh. My friend Steve thinks the issue is that another decent striker wont be happy on the bench if Josh is starting in 451, but I dont buy that at all. That is essential to deal with in modern squad management.

8th... sticking with it. Wish I will be wrong, but last night hurt.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

One more thing in the cold light of day.

No team turned over Chris Powell's title winning team like that, did they?

If Robinson can identify the reasons why that happened and come up with workable solutions, and then if he is backed by RD to put those solutions into practice we might still have a good season. Big ifs though, especially the second one.

Notts County did at the Valley although we fought back from 4-0 to 4-2.
  • Options

De Silva
    Buear
    Foster Caskey
    Kashi
    Clarke
    Marshell
    Reeves
    Josh
    Konsa.

Ridiculous comment. I hardly feel qualified to make a judgement on a player who I might have seen play a couple of times for the opposing side and who I don't know if they'll fit in to our to side.

I thought Novak was a good signing at this level and it obviously didn't work out for him. I do take an interest in other sides but it's only really watching a player up close a few times and concentrating on their play that enables you to make a decent judgement.

We signed Kermogant who everyone had written off and yet he proved for us to be outstanding.
    Nothing ridiculous about the comment at all. As stated if you have seen both players play, as well as the reviews they have received you would know that they are good players, both are used to playing within this league and produced both goals and assists.

Kermogant was always a good player but was only known for the play off semi final miss against Cardiff.
  • Options
    rikofold said:

De Silva
    Buear
    Foster Caskey
    Kashi
    Clarke
    Marshell
    Reeves
    Josh
    Konsa.

I'd be amazed if you watched other teams as closely as you watch Charlton.

Given how much football you do watch, have you really never seen a player who looked good for one club but failed at another? We've had more than our fair share of them over the years, hence "Charltonised".

Let's judge them on how they do in our team, particularly given no-one can be certain Marshall will be the same player after his injury.
    As stated above i do know that both Marshell and Reeves have performed consistently at this level and were much sought after by many clubs in the close season, surely that would tell you something. At times it better to watch a game and see players from an unbiased opinion, so in answer to your question yes i do watch a lot of football.
  • Options
    Good job Wigan aren't actually much cop, cos that should have been a cricket score. They walked in 3 sitters but should have had so many more.
    Gobbinson's Plan A was defeated in the most facile manner by a bit of pressing and of course there is no semblance of a plan A.2 let alone a plan B, that was all she wrote. FSG's bullshit about 'playing it a bit different 2nd half' is insulting lies, unless 'playing it a bit different 2nd half' is what he calls giving it away even more quickly and lazily than we did 1st half, cos that was the only change.
    Positives? KR did for the very first time sub off the right people, rather too late but progress is progress. Kashi and Fosu had been stinking up the place from the start. 'playing it a bit different 2nd half' would have held any water if he'd made those changes at halftime, to give Konsa and KAG a proper chance to improve things. As it was neither improved anything much, EK missed a straight unchallenged header which led directly to Wigan's 2nd goal and Karlan avoided involvement for a good 20 minutes of his time on the pitch and made not one single challenge, strange. A Bloke Alongside Me ripped the piss out of him something vicious when KAG eventually got his first touch, to much laughter from those nearby, by that time ABAM had taken to making his own amusement as our team had so singlemindedly failed to turn up.
    If I were AK, JFC or TFH I'd be making damn sure to train like a demon this week and stay right in FSG's good books cos they collectively phoned it in last night and shouldn't get that luxury again.
  • Options
    Fat scouse cnut
  • Options

Fat scouse cnut

Better
  • Options
    I love CL.