Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton vs Wigan: Post match views

Comments

• Options
    Dodoo seems to lack any confidence. Coming on with 10 to go in those conditions he was stationary most of the time. I heard he had pace if nothing else, so why not push it past a player and run?

We seemed to lack desire and movement last night. For example, Dasilva lacked seemed scared to cross the half way line, particularly in the first half. Pearce or Kashi would be moving upfield with the ball and he just waited on the halfway line and just passed any ball played to him backwards when a run down the line would have at least created space. The complete lack of movement across the whole front 4 meant there was so little outlet for the defence to play the ball.

Solly was under pressure and cleared the ball up the line to no one and back they came at us. Big Mag standing on the centre circle should have been making the effort to get over there. Too knackered?

We have players that can comfortably come into the team and they should be utilised. Poor old Mag has no cover and we lack anyone exciting off the bench.

I would go and offer Rickie Lambert a pay as you play deal. 35 now, but could do a job in the last 15mins of a game if we need a goal. A least it would be a bit of a plan b.
  • Options
    Redrobo said:

Dodoo seems to lack any confidence. Coming on with 10 to go in those conditions he was stationary most of the time. I heard he had pace if nothing else, so why not push it past a player and run?

We seemed to lack desire and movement last night. For example, Dasilva lacked seemed scared to cross the half way line, particularly in the first half. Pearce or Kashi would be moving upfield with the ball and he just waited on the halfway line and just passed any ball played to him backwards when a run down the line would have at least created space. The complete lack of movement across the whole front 4 meant there was so little outlet for the defence to play the ball.

Solly was under pressure and cleared the ball up the line to no one and back they came at us. Big Mag standing on the centre circle should have been making the effort to get over there. Too knackered?

We have players that can comfortably come into the team and they should be utilised. Poor old Mag has no cover and we lack anyone exciting off the bench.

I would go and offer Rickie Lambert a pay as you play deal. 35 now, but could do a job in the last 15mins of a game if we need a goal. A least it would be a bit of a plan b.

I don't think Da Silva has had much cover in front of him so he's frequently being overrun and dragged out of position. The last two games have been really hard for him and must knock his confidence.

We're not set up well defensively and I don't think this is KRs focus - our midfielders lose possession too easily.
  • Options
    Excellent posts, feel like I was at the game now.

Bought two season tickets in time for the Southend game, and took my son along, and he enjoyed it too. Result.

However...up at Oldham I sat transfixed, as we all did, for 30 minutes. We were all saying that this is the best football Charlton have played for years, perhaps the best team for years. Almost too good to be true. Actually too good to be true.

With one substitution, (the introduction of the giant aggressive Fane), everything changed.
    And to be honest, we've looked not quite the same since that moment. We struggled to win 4-3 from two up.
    And against Southend we looked less a team that might make automatic promotion, more like one that might have to battle to get into the playoffs.
    And after Wigan, by all accounts, we look like a team that physical sides with an astute manager, might brush aside.

I think we need to pray for a mild, dry winter. And no injuries.
  • Options

Find it sad that people now begin to call our manager "Gobby".

Atleast he had the balls to walk into a press conference after the game, made no excuses, said we were out played and he lost the battle in terms of tactics. He can put his hands and say we were outplayed and that they got it wrong, rather than pathetic childish comments.

As Karl said, they are together as a team when they win as well as when they lose.

Really is laughable how some people react to one result.

Not really when some of our fans seem to think we are far better than we actually are. We had a couple of false dawns in the Championship when we strung together a few decent results and then fell apart.

Last night showed our limitations and I can't see how we can try to play this style of football without players who are technically more adept. I don't particularly rate KR and I can't see us mounting a promotion challenge.

I would love us to do well this season but I just can't see it.
    I think you are doing an injustice to Wigan, they are good team, there manager won the league with Pompey last year and will be there or there about's at the end of the season.

It's a funny league, you can't call results, everyone is capable of beating each other, look at some of the results last night, who would have thought Blackpool would be getting results and sitting where they are in the league a year ago as well as Shrewsbury, we have the foundations of a very good team with exciting youngsters coming threw, you don't just start name calling the manager and give up on the strength of one game.
    The team have already won games that would have been drawn or lost last season i.e Southend, Oldham and Bristol Rovers. the only thing that is evident that as soon as we lose a game as we did against Plymouth everyone quick to criticise rather than support the team.
  • Options

A foreign tourist in attendance at tonight's match would have concluded that it must be a Cup game , with the away side being from a higher league than the home team.

Wigan, histrionics apart, were miles better than us & IMHO looked a class side that belongs in the Championship.

I have no idea whether the Northerners were able to hold on to their stronger players following relegation but their rapport on the pitch was paramount, whereas our lads on occasion appeared not to have been introduced to one another.

I can accept defeat by a superior team but tonight was very disappointing & I felt for those that had made the effort to attend after boycotting, or indeed after making a belated decision to purchase a season ticket. This performance will hardly tempt the former to repeat the exercise.....

My thoughts, for what they are worth, echo those of earlier posters. Wigan fielded a team of tall, strong players, making ours appear lightweight & easily knocked off the ball. Long balls to Big Josh were invariably headed back from whence they came with some ease and hence our striker was able to show little of his attributes & was rarely a force to be reckoned with tonight. This, for me is as worrying as KR's blinkered approach to the match of no Plan B ( "One plan, he's only got one plan ...etc ")

In addition, sadly, our current bench is hardly going to worry the opposition. RD's Scrooge like tendencies have left us in a sorry state until Reeves and/or Marshall are fit for purpose whilst a red card to our Rickeeee or an injury to our lone striker doesn't bear thinking about.

So, our first home defeat of the season and although Wigan may well prove to be champions in waiting, warning bells are beginning to tinkle....3 goals conceded tonight (albeit in conditions more suited to the hardy Northerners) for the second time in 3 matches must concern the gaffer whoever is the opposition. This squad of players needs to show more character ( balls!) and resilience when the first goal is conceded. I, for one, couldn't see where an equaliser would come from whilst no-one could accuse the faithful of not getting behind their team.

Let's hope that some important lessons have been learned tonight which will stand the lads & their coaches in good stead for the coming months.We are all too aware that it's a marathon, not a sprint and it's far too soon to "hit the wall".....

I am keeping the faith but tonight was a reality check for sure with certain frailties identified.

Let's hope both spirits and our points total rise on Saturday as the inevitable cold wind blows around the nether regions of the travelling fans in that awful "stand".

Time for Fanny's thermal G string !

As often, Fanny has accurately nailed our shortcomings. And her thermal G-string does sound more alluring than the "voluminous brown knickers" she threatened to dig out of the wardrobe a fortnight ago.

Wondered how long it would take!
  • Options

Atleast he had the balls to walk into a press conference after the game, made no excuses, said we were out played and he lost the battle in terms of tactics. He can put his hands and say we were outplayed and that they got it wrong, rather than pathetic childish comments.

As Karl said, they are together as a team when they win as well as when they lose.

Not really when some of our fans seem to think we are far better than we actually are. We had a couple of false dawns in the Championship when we strung together a few decent results and then fell apart.

Last night showed our limitations and I can't see how we can try to play this style of football without players who are technically more adept. I don't particularly rate KR and I can't see us mounting a promotion challenge.

I think you are doing an injustice to Wigan, they are good team, their manager won the league with Pompey last year and will be there or there about's at the end of the season.

It's a funny league, you can't call results, everyone is capable of beating each other, look at some of the results last night, who would have thought Blackpool would be getting results and sitting where they are in the league a year ago as well as Shrewsbury, we have the foundations of a very good team with exciting youngsters coming threw, you don't just start name calling the manager and give up on the strength of one game.
    The team have already won games that would have been drawn or lost last season i.e Southend, Oldham and Bristol Rovers. the only thing that is evident that as soon as we lose a game as we did against Plymouth everyone quick to criticise rather than support the team.
    that was League Two though... Paul Cook has never managed in League One prior to this season
  • Options
    One more thing in the cold light of day.

No team turned over Chris Powell's title winning team like that, did they?

If Robinson can identify the reasons why that happened and come up with workable solutions, and then if he is backed by RD to put those solutions into practice we might still have a good season. Big ifs though, especially the second one.

• Options
    Every one of their players were superior to us in every position. When they attacked they did with pace and purpose, we were slow and cumbersome. Their keeper barely touched the ball all night. I recall in the 2nd half we had a throw by our corner flag in our half and everyone of their players was in our half. Simular happened up the other end minutes later and half our players were still in our half.

They also had two nimble and classy strikers up front who constantly chased and harried.
  • Options

I think you are doing an injustice to Wigan, they are good team, there manager won the league with Pompey last year and will be there or there about's at the end of the season.

I disagree that we have the foundations of a very good team - as much as I'd like to agree with you I just think we're pretty bang average. I'd love to be proved wrong but I just can't see us going through the winter months and coping against physical opponents.

Pearce and Holmes are the only two players that I can say standout and although KR wants us to play nice football he's tactically naive.

We shipped three goals against Oldham and Wigan could have scored a lot more last. Our frailties need to be addressed.

If teams close us down like Wigan did then we have no plan B and physically we will be bullied. I question how astute our manager is.

I'm not giving up on the team but I'm not pretending they're better than they are. I can't see us making the playoffs under KR but I'm happy to be proved wrong.

• Sponsored links:

• Options

If Robinson can identify the reasons why that happened and come up with workable solutions, and then if he is backed by RD to put those solutions into practice we might still have a good season. Big ifs though, especially the second one.

Notts County thumped 4-goals past us in one half in what has to be one of the worst performances I've seen at the Valley... thankfully the players decided to show up for the second half and got two consolation goals
    Every team has a day or half but they certainly had the quality to respond. I am not saying this current mob don't though. The current lot have the honesty. Still feel we are short in some areas compared to the SCP squad. We have made progress in certain areas.
  • Options
    Fact of the matter is they were better than us all over the pitch. As said, faster, bigger, stronger, generally just the better team. We were woeful and didn't put together one attack that was genuinely threatening. Lack of support to Magennis, don't understand why we went so direct second half, played into Wigan's hands with two massive centre backs.

Dodoo is dodoo, I've made up my mind. Ahearne-Grant done nothing. Fosu was poor. We really need Marshall and Reeves fit as soon as possible. Kashi showed he hasn't played Saturday - Tuesday for a long, long time. Makes no senses letting Crofts go and not replacing with someone like Wright. Bench has no game changer and we are always going to have someone injured at some point. The depth for us isn't there unfortunately.

We will win on Saturday and we will finish top 6, but we must play better than that and we must improve in January.
  • Options
    The opening 5 minutes summed up the game. They were organised, up for it, taking the game to us. We looked sluggish, tired and devoid of any ideas.

It was a game too far. Sometimes, when the games come thick and fast, a tweak here and there keeps things fresh. It's not always the case that you should stick with a winning team.

It frustrated me sitting in the West Lower that Robbo spends so much time talking to Jackson & Bowyer rather than communicating to the players actually on the pitch.
  • Options
    What did I learn from last night? Wigan showed where you need to be if you're going to compete to win this league. Charlton showed they're a considerable distance short of that. Wigan were a very 'professional' outfit, doing all the nasty things I hate about football and our players were naive in dealing with a lot of it, particularly giving away soft free kicks outside our penalty area.

What was particularly concerning for me was how the team deteriorated badly in the second half. The passing got more ragged, Wigan totally dominated in midfield and yet Robinson failed to make any change to our formation and the substitutions actually made things worse. I still worry that Robinson lacks the tactical nous to adapt when things are going pear shaped, besides the fact that the thin squad doesn't really give him many options anyway.
  • Options
    I agree with a comment in the ratings that when you are playing one giant centre half, and another strong one alongside him, there's no point playing 4-2-3-1. Magennis was isolated. Would have been better to take the game to them with a 4-4-2, starting Dodoo given we have no other strikers thanks to the Belgians flogging Watt, Vetokele, Ajose, Novak and bringing in no one.
  • Options

Remember Notts County putting 4 past us before half time. March 2012
  • Options
    Agree we shouldn't have let an experienced CM in Crofts go unless he's replaced. It should have meant Josh Wright coming in. To have two young players in Konsa and Aribo considered the cover/competition for Kashi/JFC is crazy. Central midfielders will pick up injuries, suspensions and need the odd breather, as shown last night.

You need 3 experienced CMs for the 2 spots, with Konsa & Aribo picking up game time here and there and facing a challenge to rise to to get regular action, thus improving them and pressing the players with the shirts to stay at the top of their game.

If you are lacking in depth, players both end up run into the ground or complacency can creep in as they know they keep the shirt no matter what
  • Options

Redrobo said:

I don't think Da Silva has had much cover in front of him so he's frequently being overrun and dragged out of position. The last two games have been really hard for him and must knock his confidence.

We're not set up well defensively and I don't think this is KRs focus - our midfielders lose possession too easily.
    I agree, but playing 4-3-3 means hard work. If the players can't do this twice a week then those who can't need to be rested. I am not picking on Dasilva in particular, it is an example of what happens when all the players are not up for it, but it was not his side of the pitch the danger was coming from and decent runs into space could have put us on the front foot, as could playing the ball quicker and not via another centre half first.

They clearly identified our right hand side as the weakness and maybe they knew Solly struggles with two matches a week. Certainly the cover he got was poor. We encouraged them to come on to us as we did not have an outlet which made it so much more difficult.

When we are up against the better teams in the league I think we need players who can make it a 5 man midfield when we are under pressure.

• Options

I disagree that we have the foundations of a very good team - as much as I'd like to agree with you I just think we're pretty bang average. I'd love to be proved wrong but I just can't see us going through the winter months and coping against physical opponents.

Pearce and Holmes are the only two players that I can say standout and although KR wants us to play nice football he's tactically naive.

We shipped three goals against Oldham and Wigan could have scored a lot more last. Our frailties need to be addressed.

If teams close us down like Wigan did then we have no plan B and physically we will be bullied. I question how astute our manager is.

I'm not giving up on the team but I'm not pretending they're better than they are. I can't see us making the playoffs under KR but I'm happy to be proved wrong.

Amazing, only Pearce and Holmes ?

What about the following players:

De Silva
    Buear
    Foster Caskey
    Kashi
    Clarke
    Marshell
    Reeves
    Josh
    Konsa.

The goals shipped against Oldham, one of which was a penalty the second was a defence error where to central defenders went for the same ball.

We could also look at the positives if possible, the goals scored this season by Holmes, JFC in which top draw.

Two players that will be a major force in any team to come back.

• Sponsored links:

• Options

I think you are doing an injustice to Wigan, they are good team, their manager won the league with Pompey last year and will be there or there about's at the end of the season.

that was League Two though... Paul Cook has never managed in League One prior to this season
    But he brings with him a winning mentality, just the same as Wilder did at Northampton when he went to Sheffield United, believe it or not there are some good managers out there but because they are non fashionable clubs or within lower leagues doesn't make them a bad manager.
  • Options
    http://www.skysports.com/watch/video/sports/football/11033168/charlton-0-3-wigan

wasn't there ... having seen the goals on the above link, our defence was shambolic .. carved open three times along the wings with full backs nowhere to be seen apart from Solly who appears out of position in the middle of the goal as their first is scored .. also, a lack of marking in the box .. apart from that !!!! .. Robinson's essentially defensive formation did not function at all last night

however, we were beaten by a team which I have down as firm League 1champions material .. we must learn from this .. all season we have given away far too may slack/silly goals .. no reason to be downhearted, there' s enough talent in our squad to shrug off this heavy defeat
  • Options

But he brings with him a winning mentality, just the same as Wilder did at Northampton when he went to Sheffield United, believe it or not there are some good managers out there but because they are non fashionable clubs or within lower leagues doesn't make them a bad manager.
    Oh agreed with the winning mentality, I was just pointing out the fact he'd never been in League One before.

I honestly think he's one of the best Managers in League One / League Two combined, if you look at his past record he even got Accrington close to promotion from League Two and the only other man to manage that with them is John Coleman who is basically the Accrington version of Curbishley (yet JC also ironically flopped with Rochdale)
  • Options
    This season is certainly going to be more entertaining than last season, as we're not the sort of team set up to grind out 1-0s... Robinson likes to play attacking football, but can we defend well enough against the best teams?

Every formation has its strengths and weaknesses, and it's always concerned me with the 4-2-3-1 formation, who protects the full backs, especially if the "3" are picked for their attacking prowess.
  • Options

Incorrect, Paul Cook got Chesterfield to the league 1 plays off in 2014/5 losing to Preston in the semi finals.
  • Options
    Wonder what the atmos is like at Sparas Lane this morning?
  • Options

Doubt if they are in.
  • Options

hopefully it will be positive .. these are professional footballers and not prima donna ballerinas .. collectively, they need to work on the defensive frailties which have been obvious all season even in the games we have won ..
  • Options
    Looking forward to getting 10 games in to make a real assessment on our chances this season. This game has shown that we arent the world beaters many pro-regime, anti-card supporters have gleefully professed. However it doesn't yet mean we're shite.

We've got a few decent players, but no glut of creative ones thanks to spending over the summer that could be considered either sensible or meager depending on who you talk to. Robo needs to find a plan B if teams decide to pile in on Holmes and he's going to need to be clever about it. Can he do it?

Not convinced yet but ready to be.
  • Options

Amazing, only Pearce and Holmes ?

What about the following players:

De Silva
    Buear
    Foster Caskey
    Kashi
    Clarke
    Marshell
    Reeves
    Josh
    Konsa.

The goals shipped against Oldham, one of which was a penalty the second was a defence error where to central defenders went for the same ball.

We could also look at the positives if possible, the goals scored this season by Holmes, JFC in which top draw.

Two players that will be a major force in any team to come back.

Of the players you've listed I can't comment on Reeves and Marshall as they haven't played and as for the others none of them have stood out based on what I've seen. Our squad is okay at best.