Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton vs Wigan: Post match views

Comments

• Options
    cabbles said:

My issue is that we didn't match them for the tempo or intensity.

I can take a defeat and all credit to Wigan who were better than us, but I genuinely don't think anyone of those players can honestly say they gave 100% and that's where my agitations stem from

I would even go so far as to say that when we started rolling it out from the back and Amos was simply passing to Bauer etc in and around the edge of the area, we got our comeuppance for perhaps being a little too over confident we can play our way out from the back.

That's where my gripe lies

I know we're better than that in terms of effort

This. We weren't just out fought but out thought as well. It was almost if we'd never played football in poor conditions before. Kashi kept leaving passes 2-3 yards short and Solly, doing little feint turns is bound to fall on his arse when it's that wet. If you are going to slip and slide around, it least make sure the ball is in their half. Wigan were good enough without us inviting more pressure by dicking around at the back. Sometimes in those conditions you just need to put your foot through it and save the fancy stuff for another day
  • Options

I think Robinson needs to think about how we deal with this sort of challenge - other teams will try it and even if they don't implement as well as Wigan, we have to have answers.

Agree and it'll be interesting to see what changes he makes on Saturday, if any. We know he won't change the system (and it would be very early to abandon the one we've been working on anyway).

Konsa seems the most likely player to come in if he rests Kashi or Solly. Reeves on the bench would be good to see, obviously too soon for him to start.
  • Options
    F@cking hell what's happened to support the team
  • Options
    The significance of the 43rd minute first goal was key would've been different second half. They pressed so well first half that they would've tired and ran out of ideas, instead they had something to cling onto and wind us up about, and fair play they did it brilliantly.

Nothing to worry about bad day at the office, my one dig which I'm sorry but had to be said Dodoo looks like he's just joined in after waking his dog across the park, just doesn't look like a footballer to me.
  • Options
    Uboat said:

I'm confused to hear we were beaten by the champions elect, because two days ago I was being told that we were the champions elect.

We are, Wigan won't make the play offs but last night they played their cup final and won
  • Options
    We will not get anywhere promotion conceding the amount of goals we do . 10 in 7 and the highest of the top 12 teams in league . Poor showing
  • Options
    One thought I've just remembered... Did Ahearne-Grant ever touch the ball when he came on?

Every time we attacked it was with Dasilva and Holmes, all I ever saw KAG getting to do was run back to try and help Solly occasionally and then jog forward when we'd attack down the other side?
  • Options
    Wigan worked out how to play us.
    Others in the division will now follow suit.
    Gobby has no Plan B or the personnel to implement any such plan.
    Middle of table mediocrity beckons.
  • Options
    We just got beat by a really good side.

Both teams had good chances/efforts in the first half....ours being Fosu past the far post after he wriggled himself a bit of room, Kashi shooting narrowly wide from outside the box and the JFC/Magennis efforts.

But we got carved open a bit too easily for their first and I'm sure Konsa missed a routine header from a straight ball in the build up to their second.

Very impressed with Wigan and with Jason Pearce (he's 10 times the player he was during Slade's reign).
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Some people blaming the weather?

Really, those straws must be hard to clutch when wet

#sameforbothsides

#itrainsinengland

#nailonthehead

I'm not blaming the weather, I'm blaming us for not adapting to it and realising that the ball rolls slower on a wet pitch and it's easier to fall over.

Wigan adapted to the conditions better, cleared better, pressed higher, got the ball into danger areas.

• Options
    Simonsen said:

We just got beat by a really good side.

Both teams had good chances/efforts in the first half....ours being Fosu past the far post after he wriggled himself a bit of room, Kashi shooting narrowly wide from outside the box and the JFC/Magennis efforts.

But we got carved open a bit too easily for their first and I'm sure Konsa missed a routine header from a straight ball in the build up to their second.

Very impressed with Wigan and with Jason Pearce (he's 10 times the player he was during Slade's reign).

Yes he did... Yet to be fair he jumped with a Wigan player and they both missed it with the ball falling to the scorer if I'm right

One credit to Wigan was the great piece of Route 1 Football they played when it was still 1-0 I think... Goalkeeper released the ball to Jacobs who was on the halfway line, he then counter-attacked with just one of ours back (Solly if I'm right) to try and control him, yet it was only a poor shot from Jacobs that stopped it going 2-0!!
  • Options

agim said:

The squad is not strong enough to play 3 games a week. Simple as that. Quite niave from KR to keep same 11. What does he do Saturday now as solly & kashi probably need a rest

Saturday Tuesday Saturday Tuesday.
    It's only 2 games a week not 3.
    And it's the same for all clubs
    You know what I mean, doesn't hide the fact the squad will come up short
  • Options
    edited September 2017
    Our Squad is good enough for play offs I would say, maybe automatic if we can get a good run and some luck on our side. Wigan are going to be there abouts at the end of the season but yes 3-0 loss isn't good enough at home.
    No need to panic, we need to pick ourselves up and move on and have some cohesion!

No team plays well every game at the end of the day.

**Will add that I do think we need to work on other, more solid formations for against the stronger teams.
  • Options
    i guess this was a reality check and a reflection of the weakness of the squad/bench

wigan by far the better team

we could have lost by more ..very lucky not to concede in first 20 seconds of both halves

holmes is the spark for almost anything we do as an attacking force ...feel a bit negative this morning

roland out
  • Options

Our Squad is good enough for play offs I would say, maybe automatic if we can get a good run and some luck on our side. Wigan are going to be there abouts at the end of the season but yes 3-0 loss isn't good enough at home.
    No need to panic, we need to pick ourselves up and move on and have some cohesion!

No team plays well every game at the end of the day.

**Will add that I do think we need to work on other, more solid formations for against the stronger teams.

I don't think our squad is good enough for the playoffs and last night showed this - we were comprehensively outplayed by a L1 side who could easily have scored more. We're not good enough technically to play a passing game and once teams close us down we will struggle - any opposition manager watching a video of last night's game will see how predictable we are. When it comes to the physical side of the game we are lacking as well.

We don't have many options on the bench and we don't inspire confidence defensively. We look mid table at best and I can see it being a long season.

I would like to think last night was just an off day but we were so poor it was embarrassing.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    May have missed it scanning the thread but any comments from Robinson yet?
  • Options
    Carter said:

There is a lot of hystrionics. What I will remind anyone being stupid enough to get carried away and compare this squad to the warriors Chris Powell assembled is Chris Powell's squad were a real physical team and whilst we didn't play 2 touch expansive football much, we were effective and ground results out by being in shape physically, well organised and by having a couple of different game plans.

Now that part is put of the way, don't forget the spectre of some weird old prick is hanging over the club as a whole still. They haven't learned any lessons, just run out of their patsies to keep replacing in the managers chair. For whatever reason the squad will be an issue as the manager has set up to play 1 way and 1 way only and the key component to that system is a bloke with a questionable injury record who would have needed cover. If the owners wanted us to get out of the division the right way they would have strengthened, they've been utterly moronic as far as transfers go, totally decimating a decent squad to be replaced with pussies bought in from abroad and kids nowhere near ready for regular senior football.

This makes more sense than blaming the weather (it's autumn) or tiredness (after a mammoth 7 games).
  • Options

A foreign tourist in attendance at tonight's match would have concluded that it must be a Cup game , with the away side being from a higher league than the home team.

Wigan, histrionics apart, were miles better than us & IMHO looked a class side that belongs in the Championship.

I have no idea whether the Northerners were able to hold on to their stronger players following relegation but their rapport on the pitch was paramount, whereas our lads on occasion appeared not to have been introduced to one another.

I can accept defeat by a superior team but tonight was very disappointing & I felt for those that had made the effort to attend after boycotting, or indeed after making a belated decision to purchase a season ticket. This performance will hardly tempt the former to repeat the exercise.....

My thoughts, for what they are worth, echo those of earlier posters. Wigan fielded a team of tall, strong players, making ours appear lightweight & easily knocked off the ball. Long balls to Big Josh were invariably headed back from whence they came with some ease and hence our striker was able to show little of his attributes & was rarely a force to be reckoned with tonight. This, for me is as worrying as KR's blinkered approach to the match of no Plan B ( "One plan, he's only got one plan ...etc ")

In addition, sadly, our current bench is hardly going to worry the opposition. RD's Scrooge like tendencies have left us in a sorry state until Reeves and/or Marshall are fit for purpose whilst a red card to our Rickeeee or an injury to our lone striker doesn't bear thinking about.

So, our first home defeat of the season and although Wigan may well prove to be champions in waiting, warning bells are beginning to tinkle....3 goals conceded tonight (albeit in conditions more suited to the hardy Northerners) for the second time in 3 matches must concern the gaffer whoever is the opposition. This squad of players needs to show more character ( balls!) and resilience when the first goal is conceded. I, for one, couldn't see where an equaliser would come from whilst no-one could accuse the faithful of not getting behind their team.

Let's hope that some important lessons have been learned tonight which will stand the lads & their coaches in good stead for the coming months.We are all too aware that it's a marathon, not a sprint and it's far too soon to "hit the wall".....

I am keeping the faith but tonight was a reality check for sure with certain frailties identified.

Let's hope both spirits and our points total rise on Saturday as the inevitable cold wind blows around the nether regions of the travelling fans in that awful "stand".

Time for Fanny's thermal G string !

As often, Fanny has accurately nailed our shortcomings. And her thermal G-string does sound more alluring than the "voluminous brown knickers" she threatened to dig out of the wardrobe a fortnight ago.

• Options

Uboat said:

I'm confused to hear we were beaten by the champions elect, because two days ago I was being told that we were the champions elect.

We are, Wigan won't make the play offs but last night they played their cup final and won
    If Charlton away on a tuesday night is their cup final i feel sorry for them when they play some boring, run of the mill games.
  • Options
    Well that was a kick in the nuts but we move on. Gilligham away is more then a winnable game and as long as we keep playing the way we have been we will be there or there abouts. Lose saturday and then start worrying win and we are still on course. Wigan and Blackburn for me look a class apart, Wigan i feel have the best manager in the division. We have to chalk this one up and get back to winning ways. I would not be surprised for one minute if Reeves comes in but have to say the failure to sign that striker is looking costly.
  • Options
    Agree with the concensus - reality check, we looked tired, no plan B. Wigan outplayed us and were skillful at times, and cheating b***rds other times. Ref was appalling. Apart from Holmes we have no one with any guile.
    Solly shouldn't be captain, he's too nice - we needed someone to be getting in the refs face about all his pro-Pie Eater decisions.
  • Options
    agim said:

The squad is not strong enough to play 3 games a week. Simple as that. Quite niave from KR to keep same 11. What does he do Saturday now as solly & kashi probably need a rest

In that case Anfernee and Jacko
  • Options

Find it sad that people now begin to call our manager "Gobby".

Atleast he had the balls to walk into a press conference after the game, made no excuses, said we were out played and he lost the battle in terms of tactics. He can put his hands and say we were outplayed and that they got it wrong, rather than pathetic childish comments.

As Karl said, they are together as a team when they win as well as when they lose.

Really is laughable how some people react to one result.

How many poor performances qualifies me to be able to react with concern?
  • Options

Find it sad that people now begin to call our manager "Gobby".

Atleast he had the balls to walk into a press conference after the game, made no excuses, said we were out played and he lost the battle in terms of tactics. He can put his hands and say we were outplayed and that they got it wrong, rather than pathetic childish comments.

As Karl said, they are together as a team when they win as well as when they lose.

Really is laughable how some people react to one result.

Not really when some of our fans seem to think we are far better than we actually are. We had a couple of false dawns in the Championship when we strung together a few decent results and then fell apart.

Last night showed our limitations and I can't see how we can try to play this style of football without players who are technically more adept. I don't particularly rate KR and I can't see us mounting a promotion challenge.

I would love us to do well this season but I just can't see it.