Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

England v West Indies 2017

Comments

• Options
    I must admit I was baffled by Woakes being picked ahead of TRJ. He didn't bowl well in the first innings and wasn't much better in the second. What we need is a bowler who can bowl at 90 MPH regularly. Also a leg spinner. The fast bowling was a bit similar yesterday.
  • Options
    dickplumb said:

I must admit I was baffled by Woakes being picked ahead of TRJ. He didn't bowl well in the first innings and wasn't much better in the second. What we need is a bowler who can bowl at 90 MPH regularly. Also a leg spinner. The fast bowling was a bit similar yesterday.

We had to give Woakes a couple of games before the ashes. It seems in this match he didn't show the same pace and aggression that made him a threat before his injury. But hopefully that's not permanent and will come back with a few games.
  • Options
    Riviera said:

Did Covered End deal his way out of losing his £20?

No he didn't. A Test team rarely gets a total that high in the 4th innings, as we all know.

My mate had been telling me, how he'd won every bet (about 10) in the last few years, backing the team batting 4th to lose, (chasing a decent total).

Nothing worked yesterday. A wicket nearly always goes down as soon as I leave the room, but did it yesterday ?

Did it $%*$

Can anyone spare some change ?
  • Options

Riviera said:

Did Covered End deal his way out of losing his £20?

No he didn't. A Test team rarely gets a total that high in the 4th innings, as we all know.

My mate had been telling me, how he'd won every bet (about 10) in the last few years, backing the team batting 4th to lose, (chasing a decent total).

Nothing worked yesterday. A wicket nearly always goes down as soon as I leave the room, but did it yesterday ?

Did it $%*$

Can anyone spare some change ?
    Lol!

Knowing how shrewd you are financially CE, I doubt you'll starve. ;-)
  • Options

dickplumb said:

We had to give Woakes a couple of games before the ashes. It seems in this match he didn't show the same pace and aggression that made him a threat before his injury. But hopefully that's not permanent and will come back with a few games.
    But why not win the series first, and then give Woakes the last test? Never mess around with the form players is what I always think, and to drop TRJ (who has done well), and to bring in Woakes (who was miles underdone) was a big mistake.

Bring TRJ back on his home ground, and let Woakes get his bowling back for Warwickshire in the Championship.

More worryingly is that Broad looks to be struggling as well, with more or less everything coming into the right handers, and he seems to have lost the knack of making it hold its line against the right hand batsmen.

What with Stokes also carrying a knock, we looked very weak bowling wise in that 4th innings.
  • Options
    Barbados were bowled out for 59 by guayana in the Caribbean T20. Tanvir bowled 4 overs conceding 3 runs and taking 5 wickets!
  • Options

I find it hard to believe that Hope is the first player to get a ton in each innings of a first class game at Headingly. I know the ground is not a batting paradise but some great players have played there over the years.

me too ... quite remarkable
  • Options
    meanwhile in the Caribbean premier league

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cricket/41145541

• Options
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cricket/41142117

There's a decent gap between the 2nd and 3rd Test, but instead the Windies played some sort of 2 day game with all the squad involved.
  • Options
    We're going Thursday, is anyone else ?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    JT said:

Got tickets to all days of the Sydney Ashes test. Loving it

I always wanted to sit on "the hill", but I believe it's long gone.
  • Options

I assumed that this series would be a walkover for England so didn't bother buying tickets! Always worried about September weather too
  • Options

I assumed that this series would be a walkover for England so didn't bother buying tickets! Always worried about September weather too
    Me too. We got them last week, there were still a few left.
  • Options

Weather probably more reliable in September than in July tbh. There is a little bit of rain forecast for Friday afternoon, but apart from that all fine.
  • Options
    McBobbin said:

Graeme swann is about as entertaining as a bloody stool

Found out today that guess who is commentating for BT Sport in 2017/2018 Ashes........Graham Swann.
  • Options

McBobbin said:

Found out today that guess who is commentating for BT Sport in 2017/2018 Ashes........Graham Swann.
    Swann and Vaughan are both in the BT advert (with Deli Alli) so no real surprise!
  • Options

McBobbin said:

Swann and Vaughan are both in the BT advert (with Deli Alli) so no real surprise!
    Have they got Delle ALi commentating as well ??

Also includes Ricky Ponting (who is very insightful imo)$

They are using the old BBC Olympic studios at Stratford
  • Options

JT said:

Got tickets to all days of the Sydney Ashes test. Loving it

I always wanted to sit on "the hill", but I believe it's long gone.
    It is. I was there in 1991, and 1992, when they changed it for the World Cup. Even when seated, still some good times to be had but now they have extended the big stand and it is just the same as anywhere else on that side.
  • Options
    Useless facts -

Lord's is the only international cricket venue in the world where spectators can bring alcohol into the ground.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Useless facts -

Lord's is the only international cricket venue in the world where spectators can bring alcohol into the ground.

On the condition they don't leave with any!!!!
  • Options

Useless facts -

That's because its owned by The MCC and their customs still exist - a match at Lords is like no other in the UK at least. Every game I go to with mates we take a bottle of Champagne, or 5 Sapporo cans at least (coz they are the biggest-and you are only allowed 4 cans or 1 bottle) and then we nip out to the local Tescos in St Johns Wood High st at Lunch and buy a warm bottle of Veuve Cliquot and swap for a cold one at the Veuve Cliquot Tent at the Nursery End.
  • Options

Yep. Off there tomorrow with my dad.
  • Options
    TRJ plays instead of Woakes
  • Options

TRJ plays instead of Woakes

Makes sense to play TRJ in his own back yard.

Woakes batted well at Headingley but didn't do much with the ball.
  • Options
    edited September 2017
    West Indies win toss and elect to bat and name an unchanged side.
  • Options
    I hope we've figured out a way of dealing with Hope and Braithwaite. I'm sure a team of analysers have been all over it
  • Options
    Cookie has got the yips at first slip it seems.

He drops Brathwaite on 3 off Anderson.

4-0.
  • Options
    Cook dropped Brathwaite on 4 in the second innings at Headingley - he went on to make 95.
  • Options
    Anderson gets Braithwaite