Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

England v West Indies 2017

Comments

• Options
    Riviera said:

Simonsen said:

Riviera said:

11 wickets in the day & there's still 26 overs left today. 1st ever Test match at Lords in September & good job there is rain tomorrow otherwise the game could be all over before sunday.

Don't you just love cricket in England in the autumn.

It's not the first ever Test at Lords in September, it's the first to start in September. The 1980 Centenary Test started in August but finished in September. I know, because I was there.
    http://www.espncricinfo.com/series/17051/scorecard/63271/England-vs-Australia-Only-Test

Boycott 128no as England draw the match!
    As a game it was crap....sadly not a patch on the 1977 classic in Melbourne. It was spoiled by the weather but also by England's timid approach on the final day.

But it was not without some good bits. The most memorable for me was, sitting square on and seeing Kim Hughes come down the wicket to either Chris Old or Mike Hendrick to hit a fantastic straight six down the gap between the Nursery End Stands. Sensational footwork and I've since heard a recording of the Test Match Special commentary of the moment, by Lindsay Hassett. He too, was enthralled by what Kim Hughes did.
    Hughes also majestically lifted Chris Old into the pavilion. Hughes played beautifully in both innings. It was repayment for me as I'd suffered his debut at The Oval 3 years earlier when he batted for about an hour for 1 or 2 runs. Hughes was a fantastic player and really could and should have become an all time great. The poor lad though had "greatness" thrust upon his shoulders at the age of about 12. Many only remember his tearful resignation press conference but his story runs deeper. He was so badly treated by his senior players, both when they were playing and when they retired. If you're interested in this period of Australian cricket like I am may I suggest reading the book Golden Boy:Kim Hughes and the bad old days of Australian cricket by Christopher Ryan, not the bloke from the Young Ones.
    The match also marked one of many returns for my favourite batsman, David Gower. After some poor scores against the Windies earlier that summer he had been dropped but was recalled for this match. He confirmed his place on the winter tour to the Caribbean with free flowing 40's in both innings. I clearly remember him whipping Lillee quite a few times off his legs through midwicket. It was the second time I'd seen the great Greg Chappell play his last Test in England as he had announced his retirement from Test cricket before the Oval Test in 1977 but of course he came back after the Packer/ABC truce. Chappell then spent the first half of the 80's picking and choosing when and where he played for Australia, which was usually at home only and he often reassumed the captaincy after his successor Hughes had done the hard yards abroad. Both Greg and his brother Ian were instrumental in Hughes sad decline as a Test player.
    Also there was controversy when one or two MCC members abused the umpires for not resuming play during a rain break.
    Was it Border who hit one onto the pavilion on the final morning?
  • Options
    All out 194 and leed by 71.
    Tea being taken.
    Now prepare to see Jimmy take wicket no.500
  • Options
    quick, leave work.
  • Options
    500 up .clean bowled.
    A few tears from Jimmy.
    Well done mate
  • Options
    Powell dropped by Stokes off Broad. He's had 7 dropped off him in this series, 10 in total over the 2 series this summer.
  • Options
    77-3 Jimmy 501no
  • Options
    England need to get off the field, they have just ridiculously wasted their two reviews and Anderson is on a final warning for following through on the danger areas of the pitch. One more and he cannot bowl anymore in the match. He is fired up and behaving like a petulant child with the umpire. Root showing his captaincy inexperience by leaving Anderson on and not calming him down.
  • Options
    Never known anything like this in terms of a series going from awful to classic inside 3 Tests
  • Options
    These are as difficult batting conditions as some of the "bunsen burners" on the Indian sub continent. The fact is that unless you take a few risks like Stokes does and impose yourself, it's not a question of "will you get out?" but "how soon sill you get out?"

• Options

These are as difficult batting conditions as some of the "bunsen burners" on the Indian sub continent. The fact is that unless you take a few risks like Stokes does and impose yourself, it's not a question of "will you get out?" but "how soon sill you get out?"

Yes, and also Broads gung-ho approach which upset the WI bowlers.
    Very impressed with Shai Hope - lets hope the Windies can build their team around him.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    And typically, England can't polish them off, making batting last potentially nightmarish.
  • Options
    153-6 at lunch - Windies 76 ahead.
    Jimmy 503 no.
  • Options

And typically, England can't polish them off, making batting last potentially nightmarish.

Three for fifty-odd in the session? That not do it for you?
  • Options

i thought they did well, it seems conditions arent as bad for batting as in first 2 days, so 76-6 aint bad in my eyes.Also, Hope is clearly showing that he is a class batsman.
  • Options
    Also, Riviera....good to see you back on the cricket threads mate.
  • Options
    Leuth said:

Three for fifty-odd in the session? That not do it for you?
    No, considering how we batted in the 1st innings.

A lead of over 150, could make it tricky for us.
  • Options
    From this situation I'd expect England to win about nine in ten. I think those are pretty good odds. No nightmares until Hope's tonned up
  • Options
    And there, the unplayable one. WI need a miracle here. Holder to smash a fifty and then the collective bowling performance of their lives. Not happening
  • Options
    and now 6 for Jimmy - Bishoo bowled. Game should be over today.
  • Options
    conditions def easier for batting today
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    177-9 ....106 ahead
  • Options
    All out 177 - Jimmy takes 7
  • Options
    506 no
  • Options
    England 16-0 after 2 overs, Stoneman 11, Cook 0
  • Options
    23-0 off 3
    Did someone tell them it isnt a 20/20 game? - unless they want to get down to The Valley for 2nd half.
  • Options
    55-1
  • Options
    Has the Barmy Army been dismantled or they just do away matches?

It use to be carnival time when England played the windies...how sad.
  • Options
    #byebyeblowers
  • Options
    Test match summer comes to a close at lord's. We won by 9 wickets.
  • Options
    Back to football next Sunday!!