Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

England v West Indies 2017

Comments

• Options
    I find it hard to believe that Hope is the first player to get a ton in each innings of a first class game at Headingly. I know the ground is not a batting paradise but some great players have played there over the years.
  • Options

Moen Ali was cock a hoop yesterday. Asked if he was probably going to get a big share of the work load he said he was relishing it and hoped to mop WI up in two sessions!
    The increasingly annoying Graeme Swann agreed.
    But when the pressure was on with his bowling Moen appears to have frozen somewhat,which does concern me.
    To be fair, Boycott did say on numerous occasions that it just doesn't spin at Headingly, only to be shouted down by rent-a-gob Swann!!

Moeen can lack self confidence in such situations, Swann would have got wickets today through better body language and a more aggressive approach at the wicket, getting it into the minds of the batsmen that it's turning square, and that you're in control.

• Options

I find it hard to believe that Hope is the first player to get a ton in each innings of a first class game at Headingly. I know the ground is not a batting paradise but some great players have played there over the years.

Not everyone had the chance to play 2 innings !!! I expect the Aussies in Bradman's era & the Alan Border team of the 90's only needed to bat once.
  • Options
    But it's all first class cricket, not just tests. Imagine how many times players like Hutton and Boycott batted there.
  • Options

But it's all first class cricket, not just tests. Imagine how many times players like Hutton and Boycott batted there.

Headingley is certainly an easier place to bat at than it was 20 years ago, when it used to seam all over the place!
  • Options

ross1 said:

197-3, target 322

I reckon the Windies will go for it,this will cause a mini collapse and we will finish them off with the new ball

They don't need to "go for it". Play as have been at 3 runs an over and job done.
    You really ain't that confident are you
    proved right yet again and they did it at a canter.

what I don't like is all the posters who thought that we would win inside 3 days again & that the windies wouldn't get more than 100 in both innings. Too many Billy Bigbollox on here. Just take a look at yourselves next time.
    Strange post. They're was nothing to suggest that those things wouldn't happen. Even the most miserable pessimists are right some of the time, so enjoy your moment.
  • Options
    On a day when the unorthodox was called for, there is a player who turns the ball square and has variations but, sometimes, he goes for a few because, as a typical leg spinner, he can lack control. He also prefers, unlike Moeen, to bowl at right handers. He was top wicket taker for us on the tour of India and Bangladesh and guess what? His home ground happens to Headingley. He's also taken 11 wickets in his last six T20 matches there.

So, given that we could afford to have left out Malan and batted Moeen at 7 and Woakes at 8, it might have been an idea to have played him. But then hindsight is a wonderful thing as is the abuse that I am likely to get for actually suggesting him. Perhaps recalling Dawson might have been better?
  • Options
    Crane is already a better FC bowler than Rashid?
  • Options
    Leuth said:

Really?

Crane 70 wickets @ 41.97 and E/R of 3.86
    Rashid 489 wickets @ 35.06 and E/R of 3.59
  • Options

ross1 said:

197-3, target 322

I reckon the Windies will go for it,this will cause a mini collapse and we will finish them off with the new ball

They don't need to "go for it". Play as have been at 3 runs an over and job done.
    You really ain't that confident are you
    proved right yet again and they did it at a canter.

what I don't like is all the posters who thought that we would win inside 3 days again & that the windies wouldn't get more than 100 in both innings. Too many Billy Bigbollox on here. Just take a look at yourselves next time.
    Proved right? You wanted us to declare earlier than we did! Why? So they could win before tea? You're reading and analysis of cricket is very poor, I'd stick to golf if I were you. As for the so called Billy Bigbolloxes on here, he's your quote from the last Test: "I predict the game will be all over inside 3 days. we will get 550+ & the W Indies will be out for under 250 in both their innings." You then went on to say we were making a pigs ear of it as we looked to kick on in the 2nd innings, we won easily.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I have no problems with the declaration or result, you have to dangle the carrot. Thank goodness we got a result as the umpires could easily have called off play as the floodlighting effect had reached a level actually unacceptable under ICC regulations for a "day" match.
  • Options
    Did Covered End deal his way out of losing his £20?
  • Options
    edited August 2017

Leuth said:

Really?

yeah, but Rash has been around for 100 years and Crane is just starting.
    In ten years time , Crane will have better figures than Rash.
    Crane is the way forward.
  • Options
    Lets

Leuth said:

Really?

Let's not make the same mistake we've made a million times before and build up a young spinner before he is ready. The throw him in expose him and then ditch him. Let the guy grow, gain experiences and become a better bowler. Then gradually expose him to internationals and give him chances to return to county cricket and learn.
  • Options
    Bangladesh have beaten Australia.
  • Options

Leuth said:

Really?

Graeme Swann had been around the block a bit before he stepped up and ultimately became the best spinner in the world at the time.

It does take spinners a long while to get really really good
  • Options
    After losing to Bangladesh, there's zero chance the Aussies will be preparing spinning pitches anyway!
  • Options

Leuth said:

Really?

Graeme Swann had been around the block a bit before he stepped up and ultimately became the best spinner in the world at the time.

It does take spinners a long while to get really really good
    To put it into perspective the wonder kid Shane Warne didn't get test cap until he was 22-23 and he got dropped a couple of times before it clicked for him during that first Ashes tour. Mason Crane is still 20 and has a handful of CC and T20 games under his belt.
  • Options

Is this going to be one of those Ashes series where both sides are a bit crap?
  • Options
    Uboat said:

?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Uboat said:

I know what you mean, 2013 springs to mind.
  • Options
    Australia's top 6 batting lineup, like ours is unconvincing. Two excellent players in Warner and Smith but questions marks over many of the others

Starc and Pattinson are currently injured, so is Hazlewood now. Keeping them fit may be key for their chances
  • Options
    Westley gets another go...
  • Options
    Lucky boy
  • Options
    Is it because of a genuine desire to grant him another opportunity or the dearth of alternative candidates?

We know the 'PR' answer but is that the truth?
  • Options
    Leuth said:

Lucky boy

Your bloke Clarke (or is it Clark) can consider himself an unlucky boy as can Northeast.
  • Options
    LenGlover said:

Is it because of a genuine desire to grant him another opportunity or the dearth of alternative candidates?

We know the 'PR' answer but is that the truth?

I think the reality is that whilst there may be a few alternative candidates there are no outstanding ones. The hope is that those given the chance can eventually reach the required level. If we are sticking with Westley, Stoneman and Malan, I hope there is some confidence in their ability to perform in an Ashes series Down Under. We desperately need another Cook and Root to be coming through and I don't really see another Anderson or Broad ready to replace them in the near future. It's a good thing that Stokes has improved so much as a batsman. I fear we might be quite weak in 2-3 years.
  • Options
    Slightly surprised at the unchanged team, but then I don't want panicky axings either

Leaving aside the batting, the bowling yesterday was a bit worrying. For the Windies to chase down over 300, and comfortably too, wasn't a good sign. Mooen was poor, Woakes was nowhere near fit, while Stokes was hardly used
  • Options
    Still tickets available for Day 4 at Lords, which now could turn out to be rather a good day!
  • Options

Still tickets available for Day 4 at Lords, which now could turn out to be rather a good day!

Before Headingley, I had presumed that it would all be over by day 3!