Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

The Dillon Phillips Quandary

Comments

• Apart from a last min penalty and a last minute goal with our players on our knees we havent looked like losing with Phillips though
  • Dazzler21 said:

Fumbluff said:

How many times has Dillon let in 5-goals?
    I couldn’t give a crap where his goal kicks go, he’s there to stop the poxy ball going in.....

Option is play it short, build from the back.
    Option is he can do what he effing likes with the ball as long as he stops the goals going in......
  • Phillips has been hard done by. He deserved his chance this season to make the spot his own. We should have brought in an older experienced head as back up not another teams youngster with no more first team appearances than Dills and one I presume we told Villa would play. We have been through the last three or four seasons with loaned keppers. Time we gave someone the chance to be the long term solution.
  • Managers are short-term thinkers. They rarely think beyond the next game and never beyond the current season. Who can blame them when the average tenure is about a season?

Never the less, this is why I do not believe in giving managers all the controls of the transfer market. Someone needs to oversee the long-term vision of the club (managers do not) and make sure valuable assets (Academy players) developed over years are not lost because the manager feels they can get one or two more table points in a season by playing someone who has no future with the club.
  • Steer looks to be the better keeper to me & I trust Bowyer's judgement.

Awkward
    What has Steer done wrong?
    I'm not watching.
    Has let in three goals that you'd have to question could be saved by someone else

Has also dithered a bit on the ball when played back to him and has almost been disposed twice which would have left an open net
    So he wasn't disposessed.
    I'll have to see the goals to see what I think.
    If Bowyer sees both play on a daily basis, I'm still happy to trust his judgement.
    Is he playing due to Bowyers judgment, or does The loan agreenent state steer will play?
  • Steer looks to be the better keeper to me & I trust Bowyer's judgement.

Awkward
    I'm not watching.
    Has let in three goals that you'd have to question could be saved by someone else

Has also dithered a bit on the ball when played back to him and has almost been disposed twice which would have left an open net
    If Bowyer sees both play on a daily basis, I'm still happy to trust his judgement.
    Is he playing due to Bowyers judgment, or does The loan agreenent state steer will play?
    Are loan deals actually allowed to stipulate that the loaned player will play, or is it more of a gentleman’s agreement type thing?
  • se9addick said:

Steer looks to be the better keeper to me & I trust Bowyer's judgement.

Awkward
    I'm not watching.

Are loan deals actually allowed to stipulate that the loaned player will play, or is it more of a gentleman’s agreement type thing?
    The players terms might state that they will play x% of first team fixtures if fit.
  • se9addick said:

Awkward
    I'm not watching.

I have no idea, but it results in the same thing, surely? Breaking an agreement will make it harder to get other loans in the future, I'd imagine
  • se9addick said:

Awkward
    I'm not watching.

I have no idea, but it results in the same thing, surely? Breaking an agreement will make it harder to get other loans in the future, I'd imagine
    Getting Steer in was hardly loan deal of the century so I'll be curious to see if he plays on Saturday. Phillips has been treated pretty shoddily by the club so they obviously don't rate him.
  • Sponsored links:

• Don't understand people who moan and say his distribution is poor. I'd prefer my goalkeeper's main attribute to be able to make saves, not ping 40 yard passes out to the wings.

No one ever left a game saying "shame about the 3 goals we conceded, but the keeper was spraying some lovely passes about"

I think Phillips is a decent keeper yet Bowyer doesn't seem to rate him so I think Dillon will have to leave unless there is a change of heart.

Who will play Saturday,
  • I'd be surprised if it anyone other than Steer

Reckon Bowyer will play he either because he doesnt think he's to blame for the goals or because he doesnt want a Goalkeeper's confidence ruined and will give him the chance to prove that it was a one off

Reckon Bowyer will play he either because he doesnt think he's to blame for the goals or because he doesnt want a Goalkeeper's confidence ruined and will give him the chance to prove that it was a one off

He happily dropped Phillips for no good reason so why the determination to stick with Steer - am I missing something? Steer has not been impressive.
  • Don't understand people who moan and say his distribution is poor. I'd prefer my goalkeeper's main attribute to be able to make saves, not ping 40 yard passes out to the wings.

No one ever left a game saying "shame about the 3 goals we conceded, but the keeper was spraying some lovely passes about"

We play from the back so much anyway, how important is his distribution when he'll just be passing it 5 yards to Pearce?
  • There isn't much to choose between them.

He happily dropped Phillips for no good reason so why the determination to stick with Steer - am I missing something? Steer has not been impressive.
    People on here said that Phillips was at fault for the first Sunderland and Southend goals - Maybe Bowyer felt the samr way and with the Southend game being his last appearance is the reason for him being dropped.
  • There isn't much to choose between them.

In that case the one that belongs to Charlton Athletic should play for Charlton Athletic over the one that belongs to Aston Villa.
  • Watching the goals from yesterday, 1st goal was Steer's fault. A ball into the 6 yard box from a cross like that should be collected definitely. Next two goals is hard to blame Steer, but it's not impossible that Phillips would have saved one of those. IMO, Phillips shouldn't have had the jersey taken off him, he did nothing wrong and has earnt the role with patience in the last few seasons. For me he should be given it back on Saturday.
  • Sponsored links:

• I was ok with Phillips keeping the jersey and ok with giving Steer a chance to see how he performed.
    I think they've both made errors and both look average standard to me.
    Whoever plays on Saturday is fine with me.
  • edited October 2018

The lower the percentage of wages you are prepared to pay for loan players the more you are likely to have to agree to undesirable other terms. I think the circumstances in which Steer came in to the side and the explanation offered told the story, although I doubt that will ever be admitted.

That’s all speculation, of course, but I did hear the budget made available for a keeper was very low.

And if you pay peanuts...……….. :smirk:
  • se9addick said:

Awkward
    I'm not watching.

I know that some clubs do it that the loan fee is payable/increased if their player doesn’t play a % of games

I think Phillips is a decent keeper yet Bowyer doesn't seem to rate him so I think Dillon will have to leave unless there is a change of heart.

Who will play Saturday,
    Dillon
  • Redhenry said:

Steer

Yeah going with Steer to start too
  • Steer may have been partly at fault for the 1st goal, but not the next 4.
    It was harsh to drop Phillips and it would be equally as harsh to drop Steer.
    I expect Steer to start.
  • edited October 2018
    If Steer starts Saturday then he needs a few entries in his credit column. Whether the mighty Coventry will test him is debatable. What will be telling is another tough away fixture when we are under the cosh when he needs to put in a match winning performance of the Hamer / Amos variety which we were treated to more than a few times in the past.
  • edited October 2018
    I thought Steer was at fault with Luton's first. Also in that game they scored a goal which was disallowed for offside, but Steer's handling was terrible for that.

It is a bit unfair that Phillips isn't competing on a level playing field if that is indeed the case. Having said that, I don't think one is much better than the other.
  • Come on Bows Steer fucking up again