Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

The Dillon Phillips Quandary

Comments

• edited August 2018

Still not convinced by him. For what it's worth I do think League One is his level but also his ceiling.

He'd do a job in goal but makes too many errors still. He won't get us up and out into The Championship.

I'm all for playing the youngsters if they're good enough, Lapslie, Djiksteel, Morgan etc but just not sure Phillips cuts it to be our number one.

People keep going on about the errors he makes - I can't see he makes noticeably more errors than most keepers in L1? He's only going to get better the more he plays and I'm sure if he makes a lot of howlers he'll be dropped.

Okay so let's stick with Phillips and chuck more points away.

Do we want to get back to The Championship or accept mediocrity forever?
    What points has he chucked away? Every keeper makes mistakes - Lloris made a massive howler in the World Cup Final as far as I remember.

Some of the criticism of him is getting OTT - I'm sure Bowyer will drop Dillon if he thinks Dillon is as bad as you say and then hopefully you'll be happy.

Well the first goal last week invited pressure on for Sunderland to score the inevitable winner.

It's not always about dropped points. Exeter away last season was a very soft goal to concede too. Or there was the pre-season last year in Ireland where we blew that 2-0 lead very quickly IIRC two howlers in that one?

Even yesterday could have cost us though I won't blame him for the goal.

I'd be surprised if Steer doesn't start next week and if he doesn't perform then by all means give Phillips another run.
    So you we still want to ignore the fact he had bodies in the way and would have seen the ball late for their first goal

Up until yesterday his distribution has been the fault whereas his shot stopping has been his strength, suddenly a lot of people have gone quiet over his distribution as I've not never seen a Goalkeeper for Charlton release the ball so quickly to put us back on the attack
    I know bodies were in the way but the shot was hardly a rocket either, more a daisy-cutter it bounced twice before going in and on his near side.

Though I will agree his distribution was spot on yesterday, it's his decision making that just doesn't inspire. I'm not saying he's an awful/terrible keeper I believe L1 is his level but I don't see him as good as Amos or Rudd for example who are now in The Championship which is the level of keeper we need to get out of this league and hopefully one we've signed in Steer.
  • His jersey to loose
  • This time last season I can't say I was that impressed with Amos but he improved as the season went on, maybe he was more confident and got to know the team.

Dillon's mistake last week was no different to Rob Elliot getting beaten a few times on his near post by long range shots.

Bloke behind me yesterday was blaming him for Shrewsbury's goal, couldn't agree with that it was good powerful cross and the forward got a touch on it.

• Thought the boy played well yesterday. No chance with the goal. He - like all keepers - will make errors. Strikers miss from two yards but might get the opportunity to atone later and all is forgotten, but if a keeper makes a mistake and we concede a goal he gets slaughtered even if he has made some excellent saves previously!
  • edited October 2018

Have to say the guy seems to have been incredibly professional since being dropped - although I suspect he must be mightily fed up I haven't seen him complain/moan about it on any website or in the papers.

Personally, I feel sorry for him. Whilst last season Amos was clearly a better goalkeeper than him, I'm not totally sure Steer is a huge improvement over him.

Guess his time at Charlton will come to an end at the end of this season as hard to see him wanting to play second fiddle any longer. Will be interesting to see where he goes and how he gets on.

Played a pivotal role in that strange match in Bristol a couple of years back, when we beat Rovers 5-1. Made a couple of worldy saves to keep us in it before we took a 5-0 lead. Not yet convinced by Jed Steer either. OK distribution is supposed to be better but he's conceded a couple of soft goals. Would prefer the occasional shank into the stands, Dean Kiely style, if we kept clean sheets.
  • Steer's kicking has been better but Phillips is excellent at throwing the ball out!!
  • Sponsored links:

• We may never find out how good Philips actually is. Because Roland insists on the false economy of only keeping 1 senior keeper on the books they always have to get a loan in and so its the loan that has to play. As far as i see it, Philips has no real incentive to improve and push for a place. He's only playing if there's an injury. We saw it with Amos last year and it'll be the same this season. Steer comes in for a pointless midweek cup game, lets 3 goals in and is suddenly first choice. How does that happen?
  • Think he has been treated harshly, IMO Steer agreed to join because he, or Villa, insisted he played, hence LB’s very weak explanation about distribution to explain away Phillips being dropped, total BS IMO
  • Steer looks to be the better keeper to me & I trust Bowyer's judgement.

Awkward

Awkward
    What has Steer done wrong?
    I'm not watching.

Awkward
    I'm not watching.
    Has let in three goals that you'd have to question could be saved by someone else

Has also dithered a bit on the ball when played back to him and has almost been disposed twice which would have left an open net
  • edited October 2018

Steer looks to be the better keeper to me & I trust Bowyer's judgement.

Awkward
    I'm not watching.
    Has let in three goals that you'd have to question could be saved by someone else

Has also dithered a bit on the ball when played back to him and has almost been disposed twice which would have left an open net
    So he wasn't disposessed.
    I'll have to see the goals to see what I think.
    If Bowyer sees both play on a daily basis, I'm still happy to trust his judgement.

Awkward
    I'm not watching.

If Bowyer sees bith play on a daily basis I'm still happy to trust his judgement.
    #Metoo.

Though we could do worse than rotate keepers
  • For me all three goals are the sort of saves that Phillips has been making with ease this season
  • Sponsored links:

• edited October 2018
    clb74 said:

Awkward
    I'm not watching.
    What did Phillips do wrong
    Nothing, although his distribution could improve and he was also often slow at releasing the ball.

Awkward
    I'm not watching.

If Bowyer sees bith play on a daily basis I'm still happy to trust his judgement.
    #Metoo.

• Dazzler21 said:

Awkward
    I'm not watching.

#Metoo.

Rotating keepers doesn't work - mental idea. Never understood why Phillips was dropped and Steer doesn't strike me as a great shot stopper - he's no Ben Amos.

Some of the goals Steer has let in Phillips would have been hammered for.
  • Dazzler21 said:

Awkward
    I'm not watching.

#Metoo.

Rotating keepers doesn't work - mental idea. Never understood why Phillips was dropped and Steer doesn't strike me as a great shot stopper - he's no Ben Amos.

If ones form drops you want to stick with them? Despite the other having never lost form?

• Dazzler21 said:

Dazzler21 said:

Awkward
    I'm not watching.

#Metoo.

If ones form drops you want to stick with them? Despite the other having never lost form?

You referred to rotating not dropping a player who has lost form - completely different thing. No idea why Phillips was dropped.

• Phillips is extremely hard done by and hadn’t done a thing wrong to be dropped. I’m not convinced by Steer as in keeping ability, Phillips is a better shot stopper and at the end of the day, we have so far conceded 8 goals in less than 4 games since Steer has came in. I am not saying we would have conceded less, but I do think Phillips is a better shot stopper, which ultimately is what saves goals from happening.
  • How many times has Dillon let in 5-goals?
    I couldn’t give a crap where his goal kicks go, he’s there to stop the poxy ball going in.....
  • WE WANT OUR DILLON BACK!
  • Like Phillips and was a little surprised he was dropped. Are we saying that Steer was responsible for all five goals? Can't say I have been that impressed by Steer but then again have not really seen him put under sustained pressure. Be interesting to see the team's reaction on Saturday although nobody could have foreseen tonight's debacle.
  • Fumbluff said:

How many times has Dillon let in 5-goals?
    I couldn’t give a crap where his goal kicks go, he’s there to stop the poxy ball going in.....

Option is play it short, build from the back.