Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

The Dillon Phillips Quandary

Comments

• Options
    Have genuine competition for the goalkeepers spot. That doesn't mean being obliged to play one over the other because of contractual arrangements.
    Except in Duchatelets universe.
  • Options
    I like Phillips from what I've seen.

My main concern starting next season with him as first choice is, say we dont start great and he makes a couple of mistakes that lead to defeats , there will be sections of our "supporters" who will single him out for unfair criticism a'la Fox and turn him into the next scapegoat, this could have a negative effect on him and his game.

It's a tough call but as someone has already suggested, have a quality more experienced keeper on the books and play the one who looks better in training.
  • Options
    He does not convince me .. YET .. it's the old problem, not experienced enough, but how do you get experience if not selected ?
    .. we can't afford to have him in at season's start and then he makes a few mistakes costing us points and the subsequent loss of morale to both team and fans ..
    Send him out on loan is the best bet .. however, the loan/transfer market is awash with experienced keepers .. does any club want him ?
  • Options

If Martin is only 31, he's got more than 2 years left! Some bloke at Juventus is nearly 40!

We need a decent experienced keeper, we can't just rely on a 21/22 year old with some token backup. No way can we go in to a season with a 21 year old as undisputed first choice, who's only full season as No1 was at Cheltenham in the National League

So you would lose Dillon and possibly 10 years of a promising keeper, just so we do better in 2017-18?

Cuz Dillion said he is off if he doesn't play. Although maybe he would accept one more year playing elsewhere. Perhaps bump him to a solid L2 club and see how he does?

Why not, he'll be at a L2 club next year if he stays.
  • Options
    LenGlover said:

I understand your argument but, under this regime, if Dillon does maintain any sort of form we won't keeping him 10 years. Half a season perhaps until an acceptable offer comes in.

Thanks, Katrien.

(Teasing!)
  • Options
    edited May 2017
    He gave up 9 goals in 8 matches for us last season.

Then he got 12 cleans in 36 in the National League, where I suspect defenses are porous.

I am leaning to starting him. If we could improve our defense that would help him a lot. We are not going up in 2017-18 anyway and Rome was not built in a day.
  • Options
    If I was Robinson, I would expect both of my best keepers to compete for their place and would want to play the one I felt was best at the time.
  • Options
    Yes but that's not how the world works. Martin does not have to come here and won't sign most likely if he is not given the job in advance. You can't make free agents DO anything.
  • Options
    I think that Dillon should have a chance to claim the jersey, especially if the alternative is a less than ideal loan. That's what competition is all about, surely.

It sounds like he had a fine game tonight and will hopefully have given KR further food for thought.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited August 2017
    He made a fantastic save from a free header in the first half.

However the goal looked extremely soft to concede direct from the free kick and I would need to see a replay as it was at the far end before coming out and saying he should have done better with it.
  • Options
    edited August 2017

Seems like he had a really good game tonight.

Can't help but feel this lad is not getting a fair rub of the green. Saw nothing in Amos on Saturday to suggest he is any world-beater, or even markedly better than Phillips.

Hope Phillips stays and KR gives him a fair chance to take the number 1 position.

His distribution and game intelligence is far better from what I've seen. His kicking is way, way better than Phillips', whose kicking is not great. Phillips is definitely a good shot stopper, but as is the case with a lot of young keepers, the rest of his game needs to grow and develop.

If Phillips can go to a club where they'll work with him on kicking, decision making, and distribution then great, let's give him a loan. But if that's not guaranteed I'd rather he stick around and have Robinson and co. work with him on it and better integrate him into their system.
  • Options
    He made some seriously good saves tonight. Their goal was a bit freaky and I am not sure who to blame, maybe wall positioning or needed to have somebody on the line? But could well be very wrong with that analysis.
  • Options
    SDAddick said:

Seems like he had a really good game tonight.

Can't help but feel this lad is not getting a fair rub of the green. Saw nothing in Amos on Saturday to suggest he is any world-beater, or even markedly better than Phillips.

Hope Phillips stays and KR gives him a fair chance to take the number 1 position.

His distribution and game intelligence is far better from what I've seen. His kicking is way, way better than Phillips', whose kicking is not great. Phillips is definitely a good shot stopper, but as is the case with a lot of young keepers, the rest of his game needs to grow and develop.

If Phillips can go to a club where they'll work with him on kicking, decision making, and distribution then great, let's give him a loan. But if that's not guaranteed I'd rather he stick around and have Robinson and co. work with him on it and better integrate him into their system.
    Based on 90 minutes each this season I would not be giving Phillips away on loan in favour of Amos just yet, right now I would guess that come the end of the season Amos will not be our number one 'keeper and there's a 50% chance that Phillips will be.
  • Options
    Is The Dillon Phillips Quandary a spin off from The Bourne Identity? Sounds promising.
  • Options
    I think KR doesn't particularly rate Dillon so his future may lie away from the Valley. I'm hoping Amos comes good but not confident after Saturday.

I think Dillon will be a good keeper and hope he gets a chance.
  • Options
    File Phillips next to Ajose.
    Not fancied by this set up it seems. I have seen a lot more of Phillips to Amos and it is too early to make a comparison between the two, but I would have had Phillips over Rudd last season.
    If loans force you to play players whatever the system is wrong. It is ironic this regime loves to farm our young players, but in the case of Phillips I can't help thinking it is exploitation.
  • Options
    seth plum said:

File Phillips next to Ajose.
    Not fancied by this set up it seems. I have seen a lot more of Phillips to Amos and it is too early to make a comparison between the two, but I would have had Phillips over Rudd last season.
    If loans force you to play players whatever the system is wrong. It is ironic this regime loves to farm our young players, but in the case of Phillips I can't help thinking it is exploitation.

I thought Phillips did well last season and couldn't understand why he was dropped for Rudd. I think he will end up leaving as I don't think KR rates him.
  • Options
    I've not seen Exeter's free kick goal, but some said it was down to Phillips.

I think I saw him let in at least 2 free kicks in Ireland, where I thought he possibly could have done better.
  • Options

I think I saw him let in at least 2 free kicks in Ireland, where I thought he possibly could have done better.

Careful or Henry will be out swinging with the windmill...

"THE YOUTH MUST NOT BE CRITICISED!"
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

I wouldn't say it was a mistake as such, but he could have done better.
  • Options

I think it falls into the "he'll be disappointed not to save it" category..
  • Options

I think it falls into the "he'll be disappointed not to save it" category..
    agreed, I think he moved too late.
  • Options

He made a fantastic save from a free header in the first half.

Having seen the video of that header, I have to agree his reflexes for it were brilliant.
  • Options
    The Dillon Phillips Quandary

Good name for a group
  • Options

in the post match interview KR stated that he needed a 2nd goalkeeper so that Dillon could go out on a season long loan and play 40ish games and that he was sure that his future was as CAFC number one goalie - I completely agree.

I'd agree with that, a season in league 2 for someone like Yeovil or Crawley would do 2 things, give him the opportunity to really prove himself against a pretty consistent challenge of a poor defence ahead of him and to put @Dazzler21 to shame as he comes back as No.1 goalie as Charlton return to the championship and helps Charlton to the Championship play offs before being sold for £5m and a yorkie.
  • Options
    We were all meant to cut Pope slack so let's do the same for Phillips
  • Options
    I think Phillips will go on to be a good quality championship keeper.
    As i can't see Charlton playing above that level any time soon I would like to stick with him.
  • Options

It seems to be a trait ?