Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

The Dillon Phillips Quandary

Comments

• Options
    seth plum said:

File Phillips next to Ajose.
    Not fancied by this set up it seems. I have seen a lot more of Phillips to Amos and it is too early to make a comparison between the two, but I would have had Phillips over Rudd last season.
    If loans force you to play players whatever the system is wrong. It is ironic this regime loves to farm our young players, but in the case of Phillips I can't help thinking it is exploitation.

Exploitation? Pope, Randolph and Elliot all went on loan several times before playing for our first team. It's a normal thing to do.
  • Options
    Scoham said:

seth plum said:

Not fancied by this set up it seems. I have seen a lot more of Phillips to Amos and it is too early to make a comparison between the two, but I would have had Phillips over Rudd last season.
    If loans force you to play players whatever the system is wrong. It is ironic this regime loves to farm our young players, but in the case of Phillips I can't help thinking it is exploitation.

Exploitation? Pope, Randolph and Elliot all went on loan several times before playing for our first team. It's a normal thing to do.
    Errrm.
    Part of my concern is that Phillips (this time last year anyway) was being paid about 5% of Texiera's wage.
  • Options
    I think if David Martin doesn't get fixed up with a new club before the window slams shut he will join us. Then Dillon will go out on loan.
  • Options
    edited August 2017
    dickplumb said:

I think if David Martin doesn't get fixed up with a new club before the window slams shut he will join us. Then Dillon will go out on loan.

Surely that will be dependant on whether he can go and get first team football. How many League 2 clubs would be willing to bring in a loan keeper and chuck him in ahead of the keeper who started the season.

EDIT - Can answer my own question. Surely Yeovil would consider it after last weekend :)
  • Options
    seth plum said:

Scoham said:

seth plum said:

Errrm.
    Part of my concern is that Phillips (this time last year anyway) was being paid about 5% of Texiera's wage.
    thats also to do with the fact that Tex was on a ridiculous League 1 wage.
  • Options
    dickplumb said:

That first sentence is so depressing !
  • Options
    se9addick said:

dickplumb said:

I think its more to do with the fact Robinson wanted Martin/Amos to compete for the jersey than Martin waiting for a better offer to come along. He wants to join a club where he wants to be Number 1. I think that has gone now and he will end up joining.

Not sure I want Martin if he cannot be asked to compete for a spot. Amos will have played a few games and Martin will defo start Number 2.
  • Options
    seth plum said:

Scoham said:

seth plum said:

Errrm.
    Fair enough, thought you meant in relation to his playing time.

As a young player that hasn't become a regular it makes sense that his wages are roughly in line with similar players, e.g. KAG and Aribo. Is he earning a lot less than them?
  • Options

se9addick said:

dickplumb said:

I think its more to do with the fact Robinson wanted Martin/Amos to compete for the jersey than Martin waiting for a better offer to come along. He wants to join a club where he wants to be Number 1. I think that has gone now and he will end up joining.

Not sure I want Martin if he cannot be asked to compete for a spot. Amos will have played a few games and Martin will defo start Number 2.
    Is Martin actually any good? Can't say I remember much (if anything) about him from his time with MK.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited August 2017
    For me Phillips is a decent keeper with kicking issues that hold him back - it is an area of his game he needs to work on, and I do think he can improve in that respect.
  • Options

For me Phillips is a decent keeper with kicking issues that hold him back - it is an area of his game he needs to work on, and I do think he can improve in that respect.

Get Kiely in as kicking coach
  • Options
    If Dillon does go out on loan, we need to ensure that he signs a new contract before he goes, failing which, he'll probably just leave at the end of the season. Karl Robinson has talked about him becoming our number one in the future, so hopefully this will happen. I'm not keen on a succession of goalies on loan.
  • Options
    Blucher said:

If Dillon does go out on loan, we need to ensure that he signs a new contract before he goes, failing which, he'll probably just leave at the end of the season. Karl Robinson has talked about him becoming our number one in the future, so hopefully this will happen. I'm not keen on a succession of goalies on loan.

problem is it could still be a tricky decision next season. Phillips could go out on loan and have a successful season.

IF we get promoted, would we bring him back and risk him as a Championship Number 1 though? If it were to happen and we don't go up, then of course that makes things easier as he could be Number 1 in League 1, but of course I want to go up.
  • Options
    is it really a 'quandary' for the management? .. Amos did OK on Saturday.
    From what I have seen of Phillips he is unreliable ... until Amos has a total fuck up of a game, he should stay in place ..
    Unfortunately for Phillips, as our number 2 keeper, he'll not be going out on loan unless we bring in another experienced keeper. This is a pity as the only way that Phillips will show major improvement is by playing regularly in pressure games, i.e. on loan at a FL club (and YES, I KNOW that Phillips is 'one of our own' and all that stuff)
  • Options

From what I have seen of Phillips he is unreliable ... until Amos has a total fuck up of a game, he should stay in place ..
    Unfortunately for Phillips, as our number 2 keeper, he'll not be going out on loan unless we bring in another experienced keeper. This is a pity as the only way that Phillips will show major improvement is by playing regularly in pressure games, i.e. on loan at a FL club (and YES, I KNOW that Phillips is 'one of our own' and all that stuff)

I would agree with that. The quandary is whether he will get game time which as you said, he desperately needs.

He has made mistakes like every other young player, it's just keepers ones are more blatant. He is a promising young keeper but I do expect another one in, probably Martin.
  • Options
    There's nothing unique about Dillon's situation, young keepers will spend much of their time watching and waiting for a chance
  • Options

I would agree with that. The quandary is whether he will get game time which as you said, he desperately needs.

He has made mistakes like every other young player, it's just keepers ones are more blatant. He is a promising young keeper but I do expect another one in, probably Martin.
    Phillips is perfectly capable of playing at L1 level and proved it last season. He was up to the level of Rudd and will only get better with experience - all keepers make mistakes.

Amos didn't fill me with confidence and I would rather we signed Martin as he's proven at this level.
  • Options

Phillips is perfectly capable of playing at L1 level and proved it last season. He was up to the level of Rudd and will only get better with experience - all keepers make mistakes.

Amos didn't fill me with confidence and I would rather we signed Martin as he's proven at this level.
    Amos is hardly inexperienced.
  • Options
    I think Phillips needs games at this point in his career
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Phillips is perfectly capable of playing at L1 level and proved it last season. He was up to the level of Rudd and will only get better with experience - all keepers make mistakes
    agree mate

• Options
    I am glad we are playing this lad. The only way to have him grow is to actually play and make mistakes. If he gets better, we might have this position locked down 7 years or so. One less position to worry about.
  • Options
    Still not convinced by him. For what it's worth I do think League One is his level but also his ceiling.

He'd do a job in goal but makes too many errors still. He won't get us up and out into The Championship.

I'm all for playing the youngsters if they're good enough, Lapslie, Djiksteel, Morgan etc but just not sure Phillips cuts it to be our number one.
  • Options

Still not convinced by him. For what it's worth I do think League One is his level but also his ceiling.

He'd do a job in goal but makes too many errors still. He won't get us up and out into The Championship.

I'm all for playing the youngsters if they're good enough, Lapslie, Djiksteel, Morgan etc but just not sure Phillips cuts it to be our number one.

People keep going on about the errors he makes - I can't see he makes noticeably more errors than most keepers in L1? He's only going to get better the more he plays and I'm sure if he makes a lot of howlers he'll be dropped.

Okay so let's stick with Phillips and chuck more points away.

Do we want to get back to The Championship or accept mediocrity forever?
  • Options

People keep going on about the errors he makes - I can't see he makes noticeably more errors than most keepers in L1? He's only going to get better the more he plays and I'm sure if he makes a lot of howlers he'll be dropped.

What points has he chucked away? Every keeper makes mistakes - Lloris made a massive howler in the World Cup Final as far as I remember.

Some of the criticism of him is getting OTT - I'm sure Bowyer will drop Dillon if he thinks Dillon is as bad as you say and then hopefully you'll be happy.

Well the first goal last week invited pressure on for Sunderland to score the inevitable winner.

It's not always about dropped points. Exeter away last season was a very soft goal to concede too. Or there was the pre-season last year in Ireland where we blew that 2-0 lead very quickly IIRC two howlers in that one?

Even yesterday could have cost us though I won't blame him for the goal.

I'd be surprised if Steer doesn't start next week and if he doesn't perform then by all means give Phillips another run.
  • Options

What points has he chucked away? Every keeper makes mistakes - Lloris made a massive howler in the World Cup Final as far as I remember.

Some of the criticism of him is getting OTT - I'm sure Bowyer will drop Dillon if he thinks Dillon is as bad as you say and then hopefully you'll be happy.

Well the first goal last week invited pressure on for Sunderland to score the inevitable winner.

It's not always about dropped points. Exeter away last season was a very soft goal to concede too. Or there was the pre-season last year in Ireland where we blew that 2-0 lead very quickly IIRC two howlers in that one?

I'd be surprised if Steer doesn't start next week and if he doesn't perform then by all means give Phillips another run.
    So you we still want to ignore the fact he had bodies in the way and would have seen the ball late for their first goal

Up until yesterday his distribution has been the fault whereas his shot stopping has been his strength, suddenly a lot of people have gone quiet over his distribution as I've not never seen a Goalkeeper for Charlton release the ball so quickly to put us back on the attack
  • Options

So you we still want to ignore the fact he had bodies in the way and would have seen the ball late for their first goal

Interestingly Bowyer didn't blame Dillon for the goal....... but he did point out his disappointment that the defenders allowed the goalscorer to collect the ball unchallenged in the box, turn and pick his spot.

• Options
    Forever, I'm in favour of Dillon but had he been closer to near post he'd have stood a better chance of getting down to a shot he saw late.