Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Lee Bowyer

Comments

• Options
    JohnnyH2 said:
    42 years since the last Charlton manager come in with no previous connection to us. To be successful. I can see why people are clamouring for a clean brush. Just give the job to Euell. 
    ?
    Dowie, Slade, Riga, Peeters, Luzon, Fraeye, Parkinson, Robinson, Slade...Unless I'm misreading?
    Parkinson was already here as Assistant Manager. He also go us into the play offs in his 1 full season in charge
    Good point but the other 8 had no Charlton connection, whereas the post suggests its 42 years since that happened...

Perhaps it just bloody feels like 42 years 😄
  • Options
    It’s longer Actually we won promotion under nelson in the 1974/75 season and he got sacked 79/80 season. 
  • Options
    It’s longer Actually we won promotion under nelson in the 1974/75 season and he got sacked 79/80 season. 
    I'm still confused - its not over 42 years since the last manager with no previous Charlton connection was appointed - its 14 months (Nigel Adkins).
  • Options
    I know I get pulled up by the punctuation police all time on here. But I do believe a lot on here can’t actually read  or I’ve lost my memory because I can’t remember a promotion under 
    Dowie Slade Riga Peeters Luzon Freye Parkinson Robinson 
    can you jog my memory which year they won promotion 
  • Options
    Can you not fucking read won promotion 
  • Options
    edited May 2022
    So there successful managers are they not winning nothing makes you successful 
  • Options
    Yes I can read it. It’s you that can’t. I said successful. Not successive. 
    Ask your teacher what it means. 
    Then I stated them and the promotions. 
    Yet your still confused 
    think you should call yourself moronic addict 
  • Options
    Yet your still confused 
    Alan Pardew ex player 1, and reaponsible for another, relegations.  What's your point?

Its been nearly 30 years since we appointed a successful manager full stop. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Yet your still confused 
    😂 can you read what you wrote at 2.43 today? It’s embarrassing that you can’t see the error in what you are saying…And my teachers taught me the difference between your and you’re…
  • Options
    shirty5 said:
    JohnnyH2 said:
    mendonca said:
    Charlton fans always want their old players and manager. It's part of our limited search criteria.
    Who was the last successful permanent manager we have had who had no previous connection with the club (playing or coaching)

Andy Nelson
    Lennie Lawrence / 
    Iain Dowie ?
    Lennie was Reserve team coach before caretaker of the first team and then permanent manager

Dowie was Murray’s thing to get at Jordan 
    Lennie had those other jobs for a short period. He had minimal Charlton connections before taking over.

The equivalent would be if Jacko had been sacked in October, and Skiverton took over.
  • Options
    shirty5 said:
    JohnnyH2 said:
    mendonca said:
    Charlton fans always want their old players and manager. It's part of our limited search criteria.
    Who was the last successful permanent manager we have had who had no previous connection with the club (playing or coaching)

Andy Nelson
    Lennie Lawrence / 
    Iain Dowie ?
    Lennie was Reserve team coach before caretaker of the first team and then permanent manager

Dowie was Murray’s thing to get at Jordan 
    Lennie had those other jobs for a short period. He had minimal Charlton connections before taking over.

The equivalent would be if Jacko had been sacked in October, and Skiverton took over.
    Plymouth and Lincoln being 2 of those you mentioned re Lennie 
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    Think Lee walked because he summed up TS, and didn't like what he saw.
    Or because he was aware that he might be pushed. Which given how Adkins transformed our play for those 10 games, isn't unrealistic of an outcome.
    He obviously walked before he was sacked. I thought that was a given.
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    Or because he was aware that he might be pushed. Which given how Adkins transformed our play for those 10 games, isn't unrealistic of an outcome.
    He obviously walked before he was sacked. I thought that was a given.
    And presumably he's not doing the same thing at Birmingham because he hasn't got another job lined up this time. Hence the very public message to the Birmingham owners - back me or sack me.
  • Options
    My assessment of Bowyer was that he looked a broken man the night we got relegated from the Championship and would have walked that summer for any Championship job that he was offered. I think that he particularly coveted the Birmingham job as an ex player and was pretty close to getting it but they chose Aitor Karanka.

I never felt that he would see the season out with us from day one and I noticed a change in his demeanour for the 20/21 season from previous ones, digging out players and fans alike. He just came across as negative.

So really I don't think he would have stayed with us whoever was owner,  he was just biding his time for a move upwards that suited him. In his eyes he'd served his time as a L1 manager with little old Charlton, just like he did as a player all those years ago when he stepped up a division to join Leeds.

Just my musings on the matter.

• Options
    It’s dowies fault where we are now biggest purse any Charlton manager had and totally fucked up the useless git. 
    No. That was entirely the fault of the twat who hired him, then gave him the purse.
  • Options
    Steve Brown comment in SLP

“It looked as if Lee Bowyer wanted to stay at Charlton but there was a big U-turn and he left. He didn’t go to a club [Birmingham] in a fantastic position or that it was well-run – he went to a club that has two sides of the stadium shut, no-one knows who the owner is and no money is being pumped into the team. He left Charlton for that. Why has he done that?

Think you are nearer to the reality @fenlandaddick than others want to believe. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

“It looked as if Lee Bowyer wanted to stay at Charlton but there was a big U-turn and he left. He didn’t go to a club [Birmingham] in a fantastic position or that it was well-run – he went to a club that has two sides of the stadium shut, no-one knows who the owner is and no money is being pumped into the team. He left Charlton for that. Why has he done that?

Championship football? I'm guessing brown doesn't know what conversations bowyer had with the Birmingham board or what promises were made. Didn't bowyer say that he was promised money to spend? 
  • Options
    Don't being bowyer back. 

Start fresh - move on.

I hope Charlton get a credible decent foreign manager who has a positive track record.

I obviously don't mean a Belgian ex Sunday league player from the waffle years.

Someone who will be new and fresh to the league. An Italian or German etc who loves a bit of English football and they want a piece of premier League potential.

They won't be relying on a crowd cheering them on. They will just get on with the job.
  • Options
    boggzy said:
    It’s dowies fault where we are now biggest purse any Charlton manager had and totally fucked up the useless git. 
    No. That was entirely the fault of the twat who hired him, then gave him the purse.
    Correct and just to put one over Simon Jordan.
  • Options

Why, ££££ that’s why.
    Nope don't agree with that and Steve Browns comment is not referring to £££. 
  • Options

Championship football? I'm guessing brown doesn't know what conversations bowyer had with the Birmingham board or what promises were made. Didn't bowyer say that he was promised money to spend? 
    Brown's point is Bowyer would have originally wanted to stay and changed his mind and I'm pretty sure he is implying something at CAFC changed his mind rather than Championship.

Additionally, Bowyer made a couple of comments at the time implying something was a miss at the club and followed it, that however he thought Thomas would be  good owner, (A diplomatic follow on.)  

I personally think Bowyer was made aware there would be a change in recruitment and he wouldn't have the autonomy.  Events since then give some credence to this thought.

To your point 'highlighted'. Yes Bowyer did say he was promised money by the Brum board, but @fenlandaddicks point & Browns is about something changed at Charlton that changed Bowyers mined. 
  • Options

Brown's point is Bowyer would have originally wanted to stay and changed his mind and I'm pretty sure he is implying something at CAFC changed his mind rather than Championship.

Additionally, Bowyer made a couple of comments at the time implying something was a miss at the club and followed it, that however he thought Thomas would be  good owner, (A diplomatic follow on.)  

I personally think Bowyer was made aware there would be a change in recruitment and he wouldn't have the autonomy.  Events since then give some credence to this thought.

To your point 'highlighted'. Yes Bowyer did say he was promised money by the Brum board, but @fenlandaddicks point & Browns is about something changed at Charlton that changed Bowyers mined. 
    Fans turning on him, players reporting him to the fa for bullying, mid table, risk of the sack. All probably made Birmingham look a bit more favourable
  • Options
    You may be partly right but to be honest its missing the point I think that Brown was likely making.
  • Options
    You may be partly right but to be honest its missing the point I think that Brown was likely making.
    I struggle to understand steve browns points at times. I find him brilliant or poor as a commentator, there doesn't seem to be an in between with him
  • Options
    Bowyer was right to leave under this owner when he did. It did not work out at Birmingham but he has to be happier the last two years there, than here. He certainly made a lot more money.