Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Lee Bowyer

Comments

• Options
    Think Lee walked because he summed up TS, and didn't like what he saw.
    Yep. Whatever we think about Roland, he wasn’t really interested in the football and just let Lee get on with it, where as TS wants a bit more say on where he puts his money.
  • Options
    Or because he was aware that he might be pushed. Which given how Adkins transformed our play for those 10 games, isn't unrealistic of an outcome.
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    He's coming home, he's coming home........ 
    Fine with me 
  • Options
    He did was ready to go the summer before TS come along, was agreed to go to Brum, but then they pulled out.. He had his heart set on them for a while.

But I would have him back.. but that ship has sailed.. 
  • Options
    edited May 2022
    mendonca said:
    Charlton fans always want their old players and manager. It's part of our limited search criteria.
    Who was the last successful permanent manager we have had who had no previous connection with the club (playing or coaching)

Andy Nelson
  • Options
    JohnnyH2 said:
    mendonca said:
    Charlton fans always want their old players and manager. It's part of our limited search criteria.
    Who was the last successful permanent manager we have had who had no previous connection with the club (playing or coaching)

Andy Nelson
    I have been thinking about this, and about people saying so and so did well at x but struggled at y.

If you look at all our managers since Curbs left, going back future adds no value imo, and exclude the 2 non football managers that got the job haven't they all been heavily influenced by the support, or lack of, they have had?

The conclusion I came to to is bar Pardew (former player) in the 1st championship season they have all performed, more or less, as you would expect when you consider everything else?

For example would Parkinson, Robinson or even Adkins have had a good shot at promotion if they had had the same support, automony etc etc that Powell had?  They might not of got 100+ points but I think they would probably have done better than they did.

Would anyone of played the hand that Luzon was delt significantly better?

In short I don't really think the manager makes that much difference, within reason.  I also think it's a coincidence that Powell and Bowyer were both ex players. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Those wanting Bowyer back have clearly forgotten how shit we had become under him. 14 wins in 35 games when he left, and we'd won once at home in 3 months. We were beaten at home by Accrington, Gillingham and Burton.

Some of our fans make me laugh, too many failed regimes, we need a clean sweep of our staff, new people, new ideas etc etc, then as soon as the managers gone they're calling for us to bring back the guy who failed just 14 months ago.
    Agreed with the clean sweep re staff from top to bottom. Recruitment included. 
  • Options
    The owner wants high pressing, fluid, possession based football. Which apart from the first half against Forest at home, we never really threatened under Bowyer.

Bowyer, although not afraid to change shape, preferred a more pragmatic style, building from the back, staying compact and getting players behind the ball whilst letting the opposition have the ball in front of the box before looking to counter. 
  • Options
    Those wanting Bowyer back have clearly forgotten how shit we had become under him. 14 wins in 35 games when he left, and we'd won once at home in 3 months. We were beaten at home by Accrington, Gillingham and Burton.

Some of our fans make me laugh, too many failed regimes, we need a clean sweep of our staff, new people, new ideas etc etc, then as soon as the managers gone they're calling for us to bring back the guy who failed just 14 months ago.
    I partially agree, it was largely this group of players still back then. 
  • Options
    ……. where as under Matt Southall with a Range Rover as a sweetener everything was rosey .
    Lee done what was best for him , as you’d expect , please don’t make out he walked cos he pre empted our current control freak 

Nah , I believe Bowyer knew exactly what the new owner was like. He has been in football most of his life, and will have seen all sorts.

• Options
    ……. where as under Matt Southall with a Range Rover as a sweetener everything was rosey .
    Lee done what was best for him , as you’d expect , please don’t make out he walked cos he pre empted our current control freak 
    Didn't Bowyer also get an improved contract while Southall was here?

Some could say some dark things were being organised while knowing a dodgy fake Owner had come in with his pound.
  • Options
    edited May 2022
    JohnnyH2 said:
    mendonca said:

Andy Nelson
    Lennie Lawrence / 
    Iain Dowie ?
  • Options
    JohnnyH2 said:
    mendonca said:

Andy Nelson
    Lennie Lawrence / 
    Iain Dowie ?
    Lennie was Reserve team coach before caretaker of the first team and then permanent manager

Dowie was Murray’s thing to get at Jordan 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    JohnnyH2 said:
    mendonca said:

Andy Nelson
    Lennie Lawrence / 
    Iain Dowie ?
    Successful and Iain Dowie doesn't mix
  • Options
    42 years since the last Charlton manager come in with no previous connection to us. To be successful. I can see why people are clamouring for a clean brush. Just give the job to Euell. 
  • Options
    42 years since the last Charlton manager come in with no previous connection to us. To be successful. I can see why people are clamouring for a clean brush. Just give the job to Euell. 
    I think the issue with Euell is that he is tainted by association in the same way as JJ was. Is the football likely to be any different or more successful on that basis? Whereas certain other candidates that do have a previous association with the Club have evidenced that they have been both successful and that their side(s) play good football.  
  • Options
    Yes which is what they said with Jackson and he changed it straight away to play 2 strikers instead of 1. I think Jackson biggest problem with the formation he wanted to play was we had no wing backs to play it. 
  • Options
    To be honest we have only ever had 3 successful managers.  2 of them never played for us.  It's not a great sample size is it.

Would you rather another Pardew? 
  • Options
    Mike Bailey won promotion 
    lennie Lawrence won promotion 
    curbs took us as far as he could 😥
    powell promotion 
    bowyer promotion 
    non Charlton connnection managers to win promotion since Nelson 
    ???
    the evidence is outstanding we need an outsider to come in always works 
  • Options
    ?
    Dowie, Slade, Riga, Peeters, Luzon, Fraeye, Parkinson, Robinson, Slade...Unless I'm misreading?
  • Options
    ?
    Dowie, Slade, Riga, Peeters, Luzon, Fraeye, Parkinson, Robinson, Slade...Unless I'm misreading?
    Parkinson was already here as Assistant Manager. He also go us into the play offs in his 1 full season in charge
  • Options
    JohnnyH2 said:
    ?
    Parkinson was already here as Assistant Manager. He also go us into the play offs in his 1 full season in charge
    Good point but the other 8 had no Charlton connection, whereas the post suggests its 42 years since that happened...