Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Club cricket thread

Comments

• Sounds pretty similar on the limited bits I hear from the kids/parents  involved in the Essex set up .

I will make your suggestion to the chairman when i see him next weekend 👍
  • I've been asked to stand at the KCL T20 semi final at Sandwich on Sunday. Do we know if Stewart, Cox and co are available or will they be playing for Kent? I'm pretty sure Ollie Robinson will still be required for England, so Bickley Park will be without him...
  • Pedro45 said:
    I've been asked to stand at the KCL T20 semi final at Sandwich on Sunday. Do we know if Stewart, Cox and co are available or will they be playing for Kent? I'm pretty sure Ollie Robinson will still be required for England, so Bickley Park will be without him...
    The Kent 4 day game against Derbyshire starts on Sunday so none of the Kent squad will be available. Even if they drop Cox for DBD, he will still be 12th man because he is such a gun fielder
  • So @Addick Addict what did your boys team mate do last week to get a level two report?
  • Pedro45 said:
    So @Addick Addict what did your boys team mate do last week to get a level two report?
    It's a long story but, suffice to say, he thoroughly deserved it not least because it was his second offence and it centred around umpiring decisions. Part of his volley though involved him pointing out how Seb had been treated by one or two of their players when batting.

Had it been reported (and I don't know whether it was or not) how and what was said to Seb about what the opposition opening bowler (who has played for Kent/Leics and Gloucs 2s this season and took 4-61 off 24 overs against Surrey 2s this week) was going to do to him, then one or two of them would have been in trouble too.

The point is that wouldn't do that against a 6' 4" 30 year old built like a brick sxxx house but saw Seb as someone they could intimidate. The footage isn't great but Seb reacted to the bowler's attempts to execute what he was told they were going to do to him by pulling him for 4 three times in one over:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sexajesbi1o

By all accounts those individuals shut up after this over. Unfortunately, Seb got out a few overs later to the bowler at the other end!!

• Please excuse my ignorance but what is a level 2 offence/report ?
  • Please excuse my ignorance but what is a level 2 offence/report ?
    It's a report for an offence that has been committed on the field of play. There are 4 levels and Level 2 in this particular case is for showing dissent to the officials.
  • Pedro45 said:
    So @Addick Addict what did your boys team mate do last week to get a level two report?
    It's a long story but, suffice to say, he thoroughly deserved it not least because it was his second offence and it centred around umpiring decisions. Part of his volley though involved him pointing out how Seb had been treated by one or two of their players when batting.

Had it been reported (and I don't know whether it was or not) how and what was said to Seb about what the opposition opening bowler (who has played for Kent/Leics and Gloucs 2s this season and took 4-61 off 24 overs against Surrey 2s this week) was going to do to him, then one or two of them would have been in trouble too.

The point is that wouldn't do that against a 6' 4" 30 year old built like a brick sxxx house but saw Seb as someone they could intimidate. The footage isn't great but Seb reacted to the bowler's attempts to execute what he was told they were going to do to him by pulling him for 4 three times in one over:

By all accounts those individuals shut up after this over. Unfortunately, Seb got out a few overs later to the bowler at the other end!!

The video doesn't play. I don't know the players involved. He's been banned until the end of May next year which was why I asked. 
  • I’ve only restarted playing/watching adult club cricket (friendlies last year) and some league stuff this year after 12 years away from it  and I can’t believe the increase in bellendness of the players and it’s even more apparent higher up the playing level you go, by the limited I’ve seen .
    ffs bring back lockdown so I don’t have to be near these cocks 
  • Sponsored links:

• Don’t understand the need to intimidate kids when they are batting. If they are under 18 then under child protection hasn’t the umpires an obligation to step in ? 

• Pedro45 said:
    Pedro45 said:

The video doesn't play. I don't know the players involved. He's been banned until the end of May next year which was why I asked. 
    It should play if you click on "Watch on Youtube" although it is incredibly jumpy. The banned player is Faisal Zaman who is his own worse enemy and who has been around long enough to know that what he did is wrong and gains nothing. The opening bowler featured is Jarred Lysaught, an Aussie who has been here for four years now and who, as I say, has been playing county 2nd team cricket. He wasn't the one who said the things in question to Seb - he just tried to deliver on their promise.

As you know, most players apart from the likes of Faisal, who are prone to saying these things are subtle in the way they deliver messages and try to do so, for obvious reasons, out of the earshot of Umpires for obvious reasons. The disappointing thing is that I believe one of the Umpires in question did hear it on least one of the occasions in question. 

Seb has to accept that the higher he goes the more confrontation he will face and he certainly didn't moan about it. But the game has gone the wrong way in this respect and the funny thing is that it is the least talented ones that usually give it out in this way. If he gets to Australia in the next month or so he can certainly expect a lot more of it!
  • Don’t understand the need to intimidate kids when they are batting. If they are under 18 then under child protection hasn’t the umpires an obligation to step in ? 

Seb is just 18 but, as I say, those that do it tend to pick on those that they feel they can intimidate. The Umpires should step in if they hear it but, for example, it can be quietly said at the change of overs as a fielder is walking by the batsman.
  • My son, who is 17, started playing Kent League 2s this year (also one game for the 1s). I can confirm that the language and intimidation directed at him by adults has been shameful. He says he doesn’t mind and has got used to it, but I personally don’t get why it’s considered acceptable. 
  • “Get ready for a broken fucken arm”
  • AshBurton said:
    My son, who is 17, started playing Kent League 2s this year (also one game for the 1s). I can confirm that the language and intimidation directed at him by adults has been shameful. He says he doesn’t mind and has got used to it, but I personally don’t get why it’s considered acceptable. 
    It isn't acceptable, and umpires have been asked specifically to watch for and deter this as it is becoming the norm, sadly. The teenage Bexley keeper has had two send offs this season that I know of when he's a nice guy really; just young! 

My last game was yesterday; all going well until a catch was claimed at short fine leg. I had my doubts but was unsighted by the (large) backing up batsman. The batter stood his ground even though told it was clean by the fielder. I consulted my square leg colleague, who was in fact much closer and had a great view of it, and he told me it clearly bounced. I gave it not out. "On what grounds" came the response...my colleague said it didn't carry was my reply. "So since when have we not believed fielders claims?" said one guy. Since we've had umpires, that's when!!!

It didn't affect the result but ultimately left a bit of a bad taste so end the season on...Will be forgotten next May I'm sure!
  • I heard some very sad news yesterday .I am afraid Errol Valentine passed away a few days ago .He was the kent cricket league administrator for many a long year.He was a lovely man, great company and a true font of support and advice to cricket clubs across the county. He had a stroke a few years ago and struggled with his health subsequently. Local Cricket has lost a very good man.
  • lolwray said:
    I heard some very sad news yesterday .I am afraid Errol Valentine passed away a few days ago .He was the kent cricket league administrator for many a long year.He was a lovely man, great company and a true font of support and advice to cricket clubs across the county. He had a stroke a few years ago and struggled with his health subsequently. Local Cricket has lost a very good man.
    That's very sad. Errol was very helpful during the period I was new to and responsible for registering players a few years ago

RIP Errol 
  • Sponsored links:

• lolwray said:
    I heard some very sad news yesterday .I am afraid Errol Valentine passed away a few days ago .He was the kent cricket league administrator for many a long year.He was a lovely man, great company and a true font of support and advice to cricket clubs across the county. He had a stroke a few years ago and struggled with his health subsequently. Local Cricket has lost a very good man.
    RIP. Did so much for the Kent League. 
  • lolwray said:
    Never met him, but did speak to him a couple of times and he was always very helpful. RIP Errol.
  • Hartley have definitely gone then...resigned both sides from KCL.
  • lolwray said:
    Well said Laurie.

When I lived in Beckenham, I saw a lot of Errol and he was always great man to talk cricket with over a drink or 10.
    RIP Errol.
  • Very sad news, this. I didn't have much contact with Errol but many at my club did, and all reports indicate he was a great help on all matters. RIP.
  • Can't be going into a T20 World Cup with your number 3 bat serving a Kent League ban, can you...
  • PaddyP17 said:
    Can't be going into a T20 World Cup with your number 3 bat serving a Kent League ban, can you...
    Out first ball too. What was his crime?
  • PaddyP17 said:
    Can't be going into a T20 World Cup with your number 3 bat serving a Kent League ban, can you...
    Being Scottish 😏
  • PaddyP17 said:
    Think he shouted at James Tredwell or something after a duck? Not too sure, though
  • Just received the Umpires & Scorers Newsletter in which it states that one player has been banned from all League cricket for repeated offences over the years. Anyone know the identity of the player in question?