Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Club cricket thread

Comments

• Options
    edited June 2021
    lolwray said:
    Anyway ..saw the thread on Lennie at the museum and back in the day ( late 70s ) he played cricket for catford cricket club (pennerley road) whilst playing for carshalton and teaching sports at Mallory school.
    He was amongst a clique of people, including Roy Hodgson who would go and play in SA during their football season.
    As for cricket he was a decent wicketkeeper but I found him a very reticent guy ,not a big dressing room personality ..never thought he'd end up managing us .
    He did manage to take a few catches off my bowling and helped me get 3 run outs in an innings .
    He was very good pals with Ray Buckley, wasn't he, Laurie?
    Yes   that's right foxy...hope all is well with you 👍👍
  • Options
    lolwray said:
    Anyway ..saw the thread on Lennie at the museum and back in the day ( late 70s ) he played cricket for catford cricket club (pennerley road) whilst playing for carshalton and teaching sports at Mallory school.
    He was amongst a clique of people, including Roy Hodgson who would go and play in SA during their football season.
    As for cricket he was a decent wicketkeeper but I found him a very reticent guy ,not a big dressing room personality ..never thought he'd end up managing us .
    He did manage to take a few catches off my bowling and helped me get 3 run outs in an innings .
    Just remembered also amongst this clique was colin Murphy who was a coach at cold harbour sports ground early 70s ..I can promise you he was eccentric but likeable..he went on to replace dave Mackay as derby manager and signed killer when he was there ...he went on to manage Lincoln hence the bond with Lennie, thommo and  George Shipley..apologies as this has no cricket relevance 
  • Options
    Somehow got a game in down at Great Wakering, near Southend,  (mid table)  for our firsts(top) who were well short hence me and son included , 6 divisions higher than where we usually play this was a division 3 Mid Essex Cricket League fixture .
    after a slow start on a quickly drying wicket we got 241/4 top score for a young player of 93 
    They had some players who went hard at it early and I’ve got a couple of bruises on the hands as has son but regular wickets restricted them before we bowled in tandem to skittle them for 143 
    son getting best figures of 8.1 overs 4 for 19 and I took 1 for 25 in my 9 overs with my son taking the catch for my wicket , he said it’s the second time we’ve combined for a wicket .
    We called a batsmen back who I thought I’d got out lbw and our umpire gave out but he said he inside edged it and our skipper/keeper called him back , think they were 6 down and heading for a loss already , not sure if they were on top whether the same generosity would have been shown but a nice gesture anyway .
    Great to see that the spirit of cricket lives on! It must also be fantastic to play with your son every week too. Sadly I'll never get that opportunity to play with either of mine which makes me rather jealous too!
  • Options
    Extremely sadly, some really tragic news - 18 year old Ed Glover was killed on Tuesday in a car accident on the way back from an U19 game for Canterbury against Bexley. Ed also played for Street End CC on a Saturday and was an accomplished tennis player too. It's both a sad and fitting reflection of Ed that the last shot he played was to win the game for Canterbury.

Really not sure how Ed's family will ever get over this but sincere condolences to them, his friends and team mates at this horrendous time. 

RIP Ed

• Options
    Extremely sadly, some really tragic news - 18 year old Ed Glover was killed on Tuesday in a car accident on the way back from an U19 game for Canterbury against Bexley. Ed also played for Street End CC on a Saturday and was an accomplished tennis player too. It's both a sad and fitting reflection of Ed that the last shot he played was to win the game for Canterbury.

Really not sure how Ed's family will ever get over this but sincere condolences to them, his friends and team mates at this horrendous time. 

RIP Ed

Saw that, awful news.  RIP.
  • Options
    Such awful news.
    Sincere condolences to his family and friends.
    RIP.
  • Options
    What terrible news . Thoughts are with his parents and friends 
  • Options
    Awful news. RIP.
  • Options
    No age

RIP
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Tragic 
    there are no words 
    RIP young man 
  • Options
    Absolutely awful! Thoughts with family, friends and teammates 
  • Options
    Matt Walker, Kent Coach, has tweeted. His son, Charlie, would have been in the same year at school as Ed and Matt clearly knew the lad well:

On behalf of myself & all at we would like to send our deepest condolences to Ed Glover’s family & friends. Such a tragic loss of someone so young. He was such a sport mad, charming and charismatic lad & will be missed by all that knew him.
  • Options
    Thats awful, rest in peace Ed 
  • Options
    I think I have finally cracked bowling. Despite missing a couple of weeks this season, I've already equalled my highest-ever wicket and maiden tallies for a single season, at a lower average and economy (and at a lower strike rate in any season where I've bowled more than 25 overs, bar one), notching my second career four-fer in the process.

And I still feel I can improve! So that's good.

Lost this weekend though so we're fifth in the table, though probably should be a place higher had we not had two abandonments. We won't go down and we won't go up I suppose though - Holmesdale are too strong and we've had a couple of unlucky weeks where weak availability has come against stronger sides, while a couple of teams (Dulwich and Bexley) seem to be struggling, along with Orpington to an extent.
  • Options

RIP Ed

RIP
  • Options
    90kmh!!! That's spinner pace.
  • Options
    Indeed. It is typically for youngsters though and you can, of course, increase the reaction time by moving the machine much closer. The good thing about this machine is that the balls do not hurt (might sting a bit but nothing more) whereas so for practising getting into line for the pull shot for example they can, again for a youngster, be useful.

The other big difference is price. The Paceman varies in price from £250 to £750 whereas the more well known Bola machine, with attachments, is anything up to £2,500 
  • Options
    Poxy weather gonna wipe out the weekend , gutted after missing out last week cos of poxy covid 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Poxy weather gonna wipe out the weekend , gutted after missing out last week cos of poxy covid 
    Forecast doesn't look that bad for this afternoon.
    If the covers do their job, I'm hopeful we'll be ok here in Bromley.
  • Options
    Sidcup 1s have had four matches called off or abandoned this season already and having given themselves with an outside chance of survival by winning last week they could really do with the game being on today.
  • Options
    Pouring down in Chislehurst, and has been all night, so not sure if my game at Bickley Park will be on or not, I suspect not....
  • Options
    Pedro45 said:
    Pouring down in Chislehurst, and has been all night, so not sure if my game at Bickley Park will be on or not, I suspect not....
    Well my son is opening the Bar by 11.30 at the Field of Dreams so it won't be a wasted trip!
  • Options
    Stopped raining in Sidcup
  • Options
    We might be safe in Lee, which is absolutely horrendous because who actually wants to play in this weather
  • Options
    Loads of rain overnight in stormy east Sussex..another storm likely now ...this could be my 5th rained off of the season 

Playing at Westfield ( just outside hastings..it drains well there so fingers crossed) 

• Options
    Our 1s already under way here in West Wickham. No issues.
    Very little rain here this morning and forecast is mainly dry for the rest of the afternoon.
  • Options
    PaddyP17 said:
    We might be safe in Lee, which is absolutely horrendous because who actually wants to play in this weather
    Lol. We're not gonna hear the end of today's game from Paddy