Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

The 2017 Summer Transfer Rumours Thread (Deadline Day from page 264)

Comments

• We have our last pre-season game in two days. We have one senior keeper. Even if we do sign a new keeper before the season starts, they will not have played with the team and developed any sort of understanding.

We are still some way off being a squad capable of promotion and the season is upon us. They say the transfer window doesn't close until the end of August, but there are 12 points to play for in August (that was the difference between 6th and 12th last season). We should be prepared.

They talked of getting business done early but we are still not ready and we are still talking of reducing the quality of an already thin squad by getting rid of yet another player with no replacement in sight.

These are not the machinations of a team preparing for a promotion push. This is the approach of a team happy with league one mediocrity and a steady if unsustainable income from a talented youth team. IMHO this is not good enough.

For me the most astounding fact is that so many supporters this pre-season thought it was going to be anything different.
    I was told back at the end of April that Konsa moving on was already agreed between club and agent and the only surprise is that it has taken this long.
    If some people want to give this shower of shit the benefit of doubt, then that's up to them. At a risk of being labelled un-Charlton and less of a supporter, get used to it peeps. They are not for changing this lot, it is not in their DNA and is beyond their natural ability to do better.
    "Shower of shit", cracking line.
  • dickplumb said:

Apparently Amos will be a loan.

who is Amos?
    Wasn't he the barman at The Woolpack on Emmerdale?
  • dickplumb said:

who is Amos?
    Ffs, I posted this before I saw your comment.

You're getting as sharp as me.
  • seth plum said:

I don't like loans very much, but many of us say this player or that player would benefit going out on loans, so I suppose it is to be expected that we get them too.

Loan deals mean less stability.

Remember that term Blackpool?!
  • Scoham said:

Chrispy51 said:

bobcafc7 said:

bobcafc7 said:

We have our last pre-season game in two days. We have one senior keeper. Even if we do sign a new keeper before the season starts, they will not have played with the team and developed any sort of understanding.

We are still some way off being a squad capable of promotion and the season is upon us. They say the transfer window doesn't close until the end of August, but there are 12 points to play for in August (that was the difference between 6th and 12th last season). We should be prepared.

They talked of getting business done early but we are still not ready and we are still talking of reducing the quality of an already thin squad by getting rid of yet another player with no replacement in sight.

These are not the machinations of a team preparing for a promotion push. This is the approach of a team happy with league one mediocrity and a steady if unsustainable income from a talented youth team. IMHO this is not good enough.

Hamer didn't play any pre season friendlys and wasn't signed until august 1st, that didn't end up to bad did it, we're a couple players short and I'd say only the keeper is necessary before the season starts, As we have cover every where else.
    Just ignore the fact Powell had already been allowed to assemble an entire squad capable of promotion with a lower budget than Robinson supposedly has.
    This squad is more than capable, whether we do it or not Is another thing.
    I think the starting XI is, the squad isn't when inevitable injuries and suspensions occur and / or Konsa being sold off.
    To be fair, there wasn't much cover outside the main starting 11 in the promotion year. The reserve left back was a barely tested player (Evina). The reserve right back was a central midfielder (Hughes). We had one player as cover for centre back (Cort). Our centre midfield cover was the same as our right back cover, JJ was our only left winger. We had 2 right wingers who divided opinion and only 1 cover in attack, Yann only arriving after the season had started - with lots of quotes of "underwhelmed" when he arrived. We then supported this squad with a number of loans across the season.

We got lucky that year with barely any injuries, and the only injuries coming to players where there was cover. I don't remember any of the back 5 missing more than the odd game.

I think we have significantly more strength in depth this year than that year, although still lacking some first choice players in some areas.
    We had the option of short term loans back then. As that's gone we need a bigger squad than we would have done back then.

Luck is only part of it, it's important to get pre-season right, rest players when necessary, the sport science side etc. One of the reasons we've been "unlucky" with injuries in the past 3 years is because the lack of quality depth means players are overplayed, Vetokele for example.

Powell never used any academy players in league games that made their debut that season. He used quite a few in the Championship, which says to me he was able to decide if players were ready. Under RD it's an expectation regardless of who is ready and how they might fit into the team.

One of the big differences for me is the goals in that team. BWP a 20 goal striker, Yann and Jackson over 10, Green or Wagstaff both could score from the right, Hollands and Stephens from CM and a few more from the midfield loan signings. Not sure we've got that with this squad.
    This is a question of balance. Personally I felt Powell could be too cautious. He once brought in Seaborne a left footed centre back as a left back to play in front of Fox. Was that a good move?
  • I agree he could be at times but I'd judge a manager on their overall performance compared to the expectations.

Maybe Fox genuinely wasn't ready at the time. Seabourne came in late 2012, Fox made his debut for us over a year later soon after a short loan with Notts County (his only time out on loan). At 18 he was going to be released until he improved enough to win a pro deal.
  • edited July 2017

but we have had no stability in the goalkeeping dept for a long while now.

I mean we haven't had much squad stability for a while now. Some of that has to do with falling down a division, some of that has to do with shitty planning by the SMT. The goal was to have Nick Pope be our long term goalkeeper but then a bid came in that was too good to turn down apparently.

Whenever I've seen him, Amos has looked a solid Championship goalkeeper. He's always struck me as a good shot stopper, but given how much he's bounced around it makes me wonder about how does under the high ball and his distribution. But we'll see. I think we could do a lot worse.

I think a loan or short term deal is the right move for right now. Phillips is a good goalkeeper, and Beeney and AMB seem to be rated by those on here who have seen them with some regularity. Spending a fair amount in wages and/or a transfer fee for a goalkeeper might hinder the progress of three good, young keepers.

It's the same way I feel about right back at the moment. Would it be perfect if we had a 25/6 year old right back who could compete with and push Solly? Yeah, maybe. But it would also probably hinder the development of Aaron Barnes, who looks quite good, and possible that of RCC and Anfernee Dijksteel. At the end of the day I prefer we bring our players through. Same of a keeper, in an ideal world we'd have a 25 year old Nickey Pope. But as it is, Phillips looks like he might be good enough for this division and a good long term prospect. But he needs competition and we need cover. Thus, a loan, in this instance, makes sense to me.
  • Sadly, I believe he's reading War & Peace - the Chinese version, @Grapevine49 .....
  • Sponsored links:

• If only he would ,but he is one worm not for turning.
  • dickplumb said:

who is Amos?
    Ffs, I posted this before I saw your comment.

You're getting as sharp as me.
    I'm not gonna lie, I'm intrigued to hear more about @MuttleyCAFC 's earlier comment about how his first boss was this old geezer's boyfriend. It's got to be one of the most obscure things I've ever read on here
  • It is perfectly feasible to build a viable compact squad in League 1 but you have to invest in the right players who have proven they can play at this level.

You make perfect reference to 2011/12. We brought in 13 players who had proved they could play at this or a higher level to add to the 7 (inc. new arrival Wright Phillips) at the club. Powell was old school. You had to earn your place the hard way. Cautious? Yup but the results spoke for themselves. We developed 1 player - Pritchard. We did churn 4/ 5 short term loans (a facility no longer available) and made some modest changes in the January window.

My strong preference is a squad of 25 but if you invest in the right players it can be done with less.

As you consider our squad today stack up the appearance numbers of those players acquired in 2011/12 against those of todays squad. Even Hamer who replaced Elliott had 2/ 3 seasons in Leagues 1 & 2. Who did we add to make up the numbers? Experience in a) Hughes cover for both full backs & central midfield b) Euell cover up front & attacking midfield.

How many players were carrying injuries? The brutal truth is you do not. You plan around them. If they come back and prove they can contribute it is a bonus. Luck? Maybe a little but part & parcel of experience is a player has been there before. It does not stop injuries but it limits your risk because you know the player has competed physically in the environment and come through it.

As to this squad many liked Robinsons' recent Talksport Radio chat. Others did not. People really should know KR by now. If he is "not for you" then it is best to just chill and let the guy do his job. I have not listened to him since Feb 1, 2017. For me much of his comment is football management 101. I have no doubt he means every word but I have little interest in listening to someone telling me "something he thinks I want to hear". I understand his approach but spent too many years with too many salesmen.

It is pretty harmless but on the above date he did proclaim "the club would not be held to ransom and would be working from that day to effect the changes needed to take the club forward in the close season". As the season drew to a close his regularly quote was "I know the changes I need to make in the summer".

I wish him well in achieving the changes he seeks but I need hear no more. Five months & three weeks into his "plans for change" we have just a few weeks to await the results. We will know soon enough if his words carried any substance.

There are many who see the squad as well placed to compete this season. Against previous close seasons I understand the optimism but maybe it says more about those other pre- seasons. The manager has suggested a criteria of 2 players competing for each position and playing a high tempo game within a 4 -2 -3 -1 system.

We kept 15 "senior" pro's: Phillips, Solly, Page, Bauer, Konsa, Pearce, Lennon, Crofts, Jackson, Forster Caskey, Aribo, Magennis, Novak, Watt, Holmes.

We returned 3 players to the squad: Da Silva, Kashi, Sarr.

We added 3 players: Marshall, Clarke, Fosu - Henry.

We promoted 3 players: Ahearne Grant, Barnes and now Dijksteel. I find the latter really odd. You would think in a 6 month planning process you would be crystal clear about the talent on your own doorstep. It does pose a question or two over the nature of your internal dialogue/ decision making.

However Ureka! (no not a new signing) 24 players plus a few development squad: Charles Cook, Lapsie, Hanlan, means "bodies" are in the house to suggest a decent start to meeting the criteria. It is an improvement but questions remain as to if the "numbers add up" and the "bodies" fit the pattern of play. Of the above 27 names;

- 13 have no more than 1 full season (at best) at this level - Phillips, Da Silva, Konsa, Aribo, Page, Sarr, Fosu-Henry, Ahearne Grant, Barnes, Dijksteel, Charles Cook, Lapsie, Hanlan
    - 5 start with question marks as to whether they can complete for 46 league games this season. We need Solly, a player who struggles to play 2 games a week. We will need Kashi who has not played competitively for 2yrs. We need Marshall or a replacement. We need a leader like Jackson but how many games will he play? Who knows what Lennon will contribute?
    - 3 have question marks over their ability to contribute: Bauer should be core to the spine of the team but was way below par last season can he bounce back? Is there a role for Watt? He has not "delivered" for 2 seasons: Novak has struggled, can he now deliver?

It at best leaves Pearce, Crofts (questionably), Forster Caskey (inconsistently), Clarke, Holmes, Magennis as potentially your proven performers. It is not a lot. In these terms it is a very far cry from the 2011/12 squad.

Does this squad naturally fit a 4-2-3-1 system? Does it have enough bodies to maintain a high tempo, pressing game over 46 league games? Do we have the players to consistently deliver the goals in such a system to turn draws into the wins needed for a promotion challenge?

It is going to be a very big ask for the manager & coaches to meet all those challenges.

"Potentially" the basics are there. They have been there before. Did we not travel this route with Peeters, as the Vetokele injury threw the season off course? Have we not trod this path with Luzon, as sides simply needed to shut down Berg Gudmundsson?

I am encouraged by the young talent, potential fluidity & mobility on offer but with Marshall injured those 3 or 4 signings (if they arrive) will be key. They need to be "proven difference makers" and not just add to the numbers.

As it stands as we do move into the season can we please respect for the manager, coaches and this squad there is a huge difference in a young player being able "to play" at a particular level and being in a position "to consistently perform, compete and contribute over 46 games.

It is a tough ask for young players as they face new challenges weekly and as mistakes will challenge their confidence. It is a new level of physicality, of concentration, of intensity of speed of action and thought. You can step down to levels 5 & 6 in the pyramid and find players who "can play" at League 1 level but can they deliver consistently to the competitive physicality & mental intensity? No, which is why they are at levels 5 & 6.

As we approach another new season it is hard not to ask just whose side our executive is on? Why do they keep piling up the challenges on their coaching infrastructure?

I really wish Robinson, his coaches and the players well in their endeavours. I anticipate any number of bright moments, a great deal more endeavour and no little creativity & skill to be on display. However will there be the "nous", the experience, the confidence, the game management, the leadership, the hard grafting competitive edge to win personal battles across every part of the pitch over a very long season?

We can be optimistic, pessimistic, resigned or enthusiastic but as of today no matter the change of resourcing and recruitment policy, in reality there seems minimal change to the Duchatelet "squad template".

Ultimately the results will tell us all we need to know but, for us all to be on the same page, the club executive do need to stand up to be counted over the next few weeks. At this point "mix, match & make do" will not get a sustained championship challenge off the ground.

The fear must remain however M. Duchatelet is not only "not interested" in being on the same page but remains quietly patting himself on the back in reading an entirely different book altogether.

Wouldn't it be nice if just for once he could put that book down and give Robinson, Jackson & Bowyer the tools to bring the playing success I am sure we all desire.

I agree with all you say,
  • Hey, where did my other paragraphs go?
  • dickplumb said:

Ben Amos to sign tomorrow.

Loan or permanent?
  • dickplumb said:

Ben Amos to sign tomorrow.

Loan or permanent?
    As he's on silly money I would suggest loan
  • Sponsored links:

• I wonder if Amos was the gk Robinson said he 'knew who he wanted' but 'had to be patient'?
    Bolton said ages ago they were happy to get rid so unless Amos was mulling over another offer, is this another example of KR not getting his first choice?
  • edited July 2017
    I've heard it's Magennis that is said to be engineering a move not Konsa. This is due to Magennis requesting silly money to extend his contract. So Charlton have said he's available. It could be bullshit.
  • I've heard it's Magennis that is said to be engineering a move not Konsa. This is due to Magennis requesting silly money to extend his contract. So Charlton have said he's available. It could be bullshit.

See @SoundAsa£ 's new thread.....
  • I've heard it's Magennis that is said to be engineering a move not Konsa. This is due to Magennis requesting silly money to extend his contract. So Charlton have said he's available. It could be bullshit.

It's not bullshit.
  • Redrobo said:

Hey, where did my other paragraphs go?

I am forever making salient points on this website, full of well thought out arguments with evidence to back them up, and they disappear every time. Here's an example of one I posted the other day:

Anyway, what I said is that there is no mention of the unity that SCP bought to the club, the staff, and supporters to help drive us forward. When the team went 1nil down, the singing just got louder.

Rollo does not have this; although he has tried to engage with us the fans and bring us onside. Without going over all the same arguments again, I do hope that all those going to home and/or away games give the team 100% support during the game. They deserve this from us as a minimum.

In fact I beg you to give your all,

...as I am not sure I can take much more of this shit league.

• I do of course mean Robbo.
  • Dills needs to play games. Wasted sitting on the bench all season