Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

The Takeover Thread - Duchatelet Finally Sells (Jan 2020)

Comments

• Options

I spoke with Gerard Murphy around about this time last year. He contacted me after I emailed henslow and just showed some interest
    At no point did I state I was a Charlton fan and at no point did he state that Charlton were the club they were looking at.
    I think he thought I was going to or interested in investing, so I sort of played along to a point.

Much of the stuff he told me was pie in the sky sort of stuff to my mind but I won't go into that.
    He did state that there were differing levels of investment opportunities and I think the lower level was around £3-5 mill. So you can see how there might be many comings and goings as things drag on.
    I'm not sure how far they've gone in making the investment opportunity visible to those Charlton supporters with that kind of Capital?
    I'm sure there are a few around that might be interested. The silence around this whole deal suggests they haven't. But who better to own a chunk of this great club than one of our own. Or are they trying to keep this Aussie inclusive? Saying that, I didn't put on my terrible Australian accent so maybe not.
    Who knows,but they need to pull their bloody finger out.

This is quite a shock to think that there could be that many people involved then it is more in line with a crowd funding like @i_b_b_o_r_g has said

What if those numbers from @carly burn has mentioned reduced because they couldn’t raise the capital and the options started lower than £3 mil it would be a very messy way to run a football club

My impression on this consortium was it would be no more than 5 very wealthy individuals with one owning 51% or more and then the rest taking the remainder

All of this should be made public to us the fans before we just accept anyone owning the club in this way

Especially if those who are creating the consortium are able to be be contacted and openly discuss their interests after an email and call

Surely all interested parties would have to show proof of funds or allow a credit Check before Any further coms would happen

So either @carly burn has done really well for themselves in life (congratulations and no disrespect Intended) or we have a real risk of being bought out by a bunch of wannabes all over again

Ffs typical fucking Charlton
    A lot of speculation there. I thought you only dealt in FACTS :wink:

Bottom line is, we don't know how many people are involved and if the minimum investment was 3-5 million then we are looking at a maximum of 10-11 investors, which is nothing like crowdfunding which has much higher numbers of investors, so it's probably unhelpful to over-exaggerate like that.

Let's just wait and see what happens. In any event, whatever it turns out to be, it's going to have to be REALLY bad to be worse than what we have right now.
    I agree that we would need to scrape low to find worse but we do surely deserve better also after all this time

It sounds like @carly burn is holder of many facts 8) from that initial contact

Indeed. Though it does beg the question, why is he only sharing it now? He said he had this conversation about a year ago :confused:
    I have mentioned it in the past, but don't choose to bang on about it like some on here, especially lately.
    Anyway, I wanted to see how things panned out with the Aussies. As after speaking to GM didn't really think they had a cat in hell's chance of getting it over the line. I actually thought they were a ruse for a more serious bid ,but that doesn't look likely now.
  • Options
    Not too hot on the day to day funding of football clubs, but I wondered how such a dispersed overnership model will manage a club losing £8mil plus per year. To stick money in at the outset might be easy enough, but just how many times can you go back to 6+ owners and ask for more, particularly the smaller investors.

Presuming the majority owners alone will be the ones required to commit the ‘float’.

• Options
    Forgot the takeover (literally) any chance we close this thread when it hits 1000 pages and start a new one?
  • Options
    It really is like buying a house
  • Options
    More like buying a horse. When you first set out, it’s a promising yearling with a reasonable price tag.

The price increases substantially as a 3yo despite a deterioration in performance and dropping out of the second tier of racing.

Unfortunately the horse is now priced as if he were a 2 grand national winner ready to go out to stud.

By the time negotiations are completed the horse has been moved onto light duties at country teaching stables but is commanding He price tag of red rum.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    This thread is like The Matrix trilogy. Started off with a bang. Excitement and hope.
    But the middle and end are really boring with loads of pointless fighting.
  • Options

More like buying a horse. When you first set out, it’s a promising yearling with a reasonable price tag.

The price increases substantially as a 3yo despite a deterioration in performance and dropping out of the second tier of racing.

Unfortunately the horse is now priced as if he were a 2 grand national winner ready to go out to stud.

By the time negotiations are completed the horse has been moved onto light duties at country teaching stables but is commanding He price tag of red rum.

Plus, if the owner's not very careful, after four years you end up with an awful lot of shit to clear up.
  • Options
    edited June 2018

dickplumb said:

NLA can you stop posting rubbish like the Aussies haven't got the cssh becaise Muir obviously has. What the consortium has is a well structured business plan with budgeted investment and shared risk. If a hedge fund offered you 6% would you sink all your money in or a fraction then see how things go? Too many poor football owners fail due to open cheque bookd.

It is not rubbish.

Why not? Muir has the money to buy us on his own but he is a successful businessman for a reason. They are just spreading the risk around. One of those sharing the risk was rejected by the EFL because of links to another Club. So now they are looking for a replacement investor. If NLA was to say that LargeAddick doesn’t have the money to conclude a deal he’d be right, just, but to say the Aussies don’t have the money is plainly wrong, they have it but are just not stupid enough to want to spend it.
    But that’s where you are incorrect large in the context of buying cafc the Aussie consortium led by Muir right now does not have the funding in place to conclude the deal currently

The official statement eluded to it

Mr seeds grandson has said it this evening

The facts remain that yes there is atleast seriously wealthy individual who could buy the club using less than 10% of his net wealth but he currently chooses not to

If they were told to conclude today they couldn’t

Due to lack of funds within the consortium to be released into this project

In my world that means you ain’t got the money

I find it hilarious that all day it’s been said I have been fed lies and shite to belittle and muddy the Aussies when all along that person also knew that right now the Aussie bidders still need one or two more people to conclude and seal the deal

These are all facts

Not having the funding, which we all realise they obviously don’t have, is totally different to your previous mantra that they don’t have the money.
    Hello, I'd like to buy your club for sale at the agreed price of £40.5M.
    Brilliant, do you have the money ?
    Yes, I have more than enough money.
    Brilliant, just sign here then.
    Sorry, I can't do that.
    Why not ?
    I don't have the funding.

Was this a Monty Python sketch ?
  • Options

funny that. just reminded me of a mate of mine who once had a share in a racehorse. no idea how much his share was but he did get to be in the winners enclosure on about the only time it did win........like Muir & Murphy turning up at play-off games but not seeing them since. glory boys !
  • Options
    Been busy lately.

Has anything happened in the last seventeen pages (c.500 posts)? Or is it the usual rumour milling, dick swinging, mindless chuntering and pipedreaming?
  • Options

dickplumb said:

NLA can you stop posting rubbish like the Aussies haven't got the cssh becaise Muir obviously has. What the consortium has is a well structured business plan with budgeted investment and shared risk. If a hedge fund offered you 6% would you sink all your money in or a fraction then see how things go? Too many poor football owners fail due to open cheque bookd.

It is not rubbish.

Why not? Muir has the money to buy us on his own but he is a successful businessman for a reason. They are just spreading the risk around. One of those sharing the risk was rejected by the EFL because of links to another Club. So now they are looking for a replacement investor. If NLA was to say that LargeAddick doesn’t have the money to conclude a deal he’d be right, just, but to say the Aussies don’t have the money is plainly wrong, they have it but are just not stupid enough to want to spend it.
    But that’s where you are incorrect large in the context of buying cafc the Aussie consortium led by Muir right now does not have the funding in place to conclude the deal currently

The official statement eluded to it

Mr seeds grandson has said it this evening

The facts remain that yes there is atleast seriously wealthy individual who could buy the club using less than 10% of his net wealth but he currently chooses not to

If they were told to conclude today they couldn’t

Due to lack of funds within the consortium to be released into this project

In my world that means you ain’t got the money

I find it hilarious that all day it’s been said I have been fed lies and shite to belittle and muddy the Aussies when all along that person also knew that right now the Aussie bidders still need one or two more people to conclude and seal the deal

These are all facts

Not having the funding, which we all realise they obviously don’t have, is totally different to your previous mantra that they don’t have the money.
    I think you're being a bit pedantic bro'. I'm sure most people would read "not have the money" as not having enough money to by the club.....ie £40m. To me it sounds as if nla is spot on. The consortium at one point were good to go, agreed everything & so the fit & proper test was done. Since then something had changed......we have all believed this to be down to 2 investors being blocked by the EFL because of their involvements elsewhere and because of this the consortium is now short of the £40m needed, although @PragueAddick is now saying that the Trust has heard otherwise.

whether you call it "funding" or "money" is semantics. If they had to conclude the deal on Monday & hand over £40m it appears they don't have it. To me that is a great worry. If Muir was so sure of himself that he made it known who he was at the play off game & had pics taken of him and scarfy mk2, then he should be sure that enough funding/money is available to not only purchase the club but to buy players this summer & run the club for the foreseeable future.
    They need to have more than £40m, if that’s the figure Roland wants for the club, because they need to fund the losses until they can turn that around and they need to put some money up for new players if we’d are aiming for promotion.
  • Options
    edited June 2018

Only after 25 pages of assertive chanting akin to a child bouncing on their bed acclaiming "I don't want to go to school" do we secure the acknowledgement the individuals involved do actually have the personal resources to buy the club.

In one case the capability extends to sufficient individual resources to buy the club, fund its infrastructure and its operations for 5yrs 3 or 4 times over From the day such individual chose to participate the consortium had access to the resources to complete the deal

The assertion they did not is palpably incorrect.

Grapevine, I should imagine that most of us believe that Muir has the personal resources to buy and run the club for 5 years.

Surely, that it not at issue ?

RD also has the personal resources to buy and run the club for 5 years, so in that respect there is no difference.

The issue at hand is it would appear that Muir does not want to use enough of his personal resources, to ensure that the club is bought outright and adequately funded for say 5 years.

Obviously, we ask nothing of Muir, it is entirely up to him.

But I fail to understand why we should be pleased that an individual has the resources that he is not willing to spend, because that does not help the club anymore than RD having the resources he too is unwilling to spend.

Don't get me wrong. I don't take sides and I'd love anyone to take us over if they are what is best for the club, are genuine and can fund us adequately.
  • Options
    So nothings happened, and people are guessing based on tweets.

Righty oh
  • Options
    Everyone needs to relax and act like mature adults until the takeover has happened or collapsed, then one side is allowed a day of childish gloating.
  • Options
    cfgs said:

Everyone needs to relax and act like mature adults until the takeover has happened or collapsed, then one side is allowed a day of childish gloating.

Exactly .... Enjoy the sun, watch the World Cup, get the BBQ out and have a few cold beers #TeamWIOTOS
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Rothko said:

So nothings happened, and people are guessing based on tweets.

Righty oh

No, guessing based posts on this thread.
  • Options
    _MrDick said:

cfgs said:

Exactly .... Enjoy the sun, watch the World Cup, get the BBQ out and have a few cold beers #TeamWIOTOS
    Plus enjoy that we are yet again beating the Convicts at cricket.
  • Options
    Nearly there everyone, getting closer.
  • Options

I am guessing you mean the 1000th page rather than an actual takeover?
  • Options

If new investors come on board presumably they need to be cleared by the EFL which will create further delays.

I’m not sure they will - fit and proper tests are focussed on individuals with significant control.

• Options
    cfgs said:

Both, it will be confirmed on the OS the same time we hit page 1,000.

FACT
  • Options

Addicted said his EFL source told him they had "two qualifications".

Is one of them a GCSE in art?
  • Options
    cfgs said:

Unfortunately yes, but you never know !
  • Options
    bobmunro said:

If new investors come on board presumably they need to be cleared by the EFL which will create further delays.

I’m not sure they will - fit and proper tests are focussed on individuals with significant control.

So 100 wealthy criminals buy a club, own 1% each and they won’t need to pass the test.
  • Options
    Scoham said:

bobmunro said:

So 100 wealthy criminals buy a club, own 1% each and they won’t need to pass the test.
    Do you think the EFL would have completed fit and proper tests on all the owners of, for example, Wycombe Wanderers?

They would however have completed the tests on the executive of the trust that makes the decisions (and again for any changes to that body following elections).

This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!