Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

The Takeover Thread - Duchatelet Finally Sells (Jan 2020)

Comments

• Options
    Great stuff, thanks @JamesSeed. All positive. Best get ourselves down the local Walkabout.
  • Options
    Thanks for sharing James, sounds very promising
  • Options
    Too much positivity there for my liking!
  • Options
    Thanks JameSeed.

Sounds pretty good to me. I now really look forward to hearing what they have to say on the glorious day.
  • Options
    did you get a chance to play knifey spoony?
  • Options
    Good work, JS. That is a massively positive summation and a very exciting one too.

I'm now crossing my fingers that little bit tighter in hope and anticipation of this getting over the line. I can't wait until we finally hear that the RD experiment is in the bin where it belongs and that we have begun an exciting, positive new era for our wonderful football club.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

@JamesSeed the museum is ready and waiting as are Bromley Addicks.

Thanks for the update. They are saying all the right things.

It's not done yet and even when it is they have to deliver on those words but feeling good about this takeover.

I hope all the pro-Duchatelet anti -CARD people give the new owners a chance.

If they are pro-Duchatelet I'm pretty sure they'd support just about any owner
    My tongue was firmly in my cheek.
  • Options
    Very positive news . Was a bit unsure about the Aussies , especially the lack of funding , if that was the case . The news that Duchatelet will have no control of Charlton fairly shortly is the icing on the cake .
  • Options
    Points 5 and 7 sound good to me.
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:

Apologies, you're correct, I had to clear up, and get the dishwasher on.....

It also took longer to write than I expected. Gotta get it right!

I hope you're not disappointed that there isn't more, or that I can't name a date. But my overall impressions are positive:

https://jimmyseed.blogspot.co.uk/ (It's all there, but will add below as well):

So here are my thoughts after sharing a beer with someone connected with the takeover of Charlton Athletic. He agreed that I can share this info, but asked that I don't reveal his identity before the club is sold. I know I've already mentioned that I knew someone connected to the Australian consortium, but this meeting could have been with a mutual acquaintance, or someone acting as an intermediary. Speculating on who the meeting was with might well lead to a drying up of info, so please don't.

I really like what I heard yesterday evening. Our meeting lasted 45 minutes, I was holding a dinner party for my wife's birthday at 8pm, and I was more than late. I was supposed to be preparing the food!

We should be meeting again soon (assuming my wife will let me), because my contact is very keen on seeing Jimmy Seed's memorabilia. He also asked for copy of his autobiography. (He actually nearly bit my hand off when I said I had a spare). What a change from the previous regime's attitude to the Club's history! The interest in Seed and the club's past was genuine, and very encouraging.

We didn't discuss finance I'm afraid. I'm not sure this can be discussed until after the sale has gone through. I didn't want to push it. So I don't know what they're paying for the club, other than that there will be no add-ons after the sale has gone through.

Interestingly, but not surprisingly, my contact has for months been inundated by emails from people asking about the takeover, but he is sorry he hasn't been able to answer any of them up to this point.

In no particular order:

1. They’re hoping, subject to approval from a couple of investors and the EFL, that the sale will happen next week. I think they might being a little optimistic with their estimate of the how long the EFL can take processing these fit and proper person tests, so an extra week or two might be on the cards? (Just guessing). But they're patient people.
    They believe it will happen, but that's all they would say on the matter.
    They say they're in this for the long haul, and it's already been a two year project, which so far has cost them a million Pounds. They mentioned a five year plan to get the club into the Premier League, which is their stated aim. The five year plan might include the previous two years ago, I'm not sure. They are interested in success. They have ambition. It's the Australian mentality when it comes to sport.

2. He described Fulham as being the only other club in London they might have been interested in. Why? Because both clubs 'have great fans, and a great stadium', which they see as key. They appreciate that fans are the heart of the club, and pointed out how 'different' the ownership system is in England, compared to the fan ownership system in Australia. They seem very aware of the differences between the fans of Charlton, and the fans of some of our London 'rivals', and see that as a big positive. They respect the passion.

3. They see they Australian system of 'Membership' as something they want to promote at Charlton. In Australia clubs have 'memberships' into the high tens of thousands - Essendon have just topped the 70,000 mark, for example. (Click here to read more.) How that might translate to how Charlton is run and owned remains to be seen, but I believe they see season ticket holders as the current 'members'. My contact was very pleased to hear that many people are waiting until new owners are in place to renew their season tickets. I was surprised they didn't know that already!

4. The reason for all the delays hasn't actually been to do with Roland Duchâtelet dragging his feet. Due diligence has been massively complicated by the fact that RD didn't actually complete proper due diligence himself when he bought the club, because of the circumstances of the sale. The complications they have encountered have apparently been a legacy of the previous Tony Jimenez and Michael Slater regime. I can't comment on their feelings about Roland Duchâtelet. Apparently RD mentioned how powerful the fans are at Charlton, something he hadn't experienced before. I think they see this as a positive.

5. They are buying the club, lock, stock and barrel. Roland wants to sell, and isn’t looking to hang on to any assets, Sparrows Lane for example - and isn’t looking for and sell-on deals vis a vis player sales. My source hasn't met with Duchâtelet, but has been dealing with his representatives. It's has been a very complicated process, but there has been no dragging of feet.

6. It was never the intention to make Charlton a kind of nursery club for Australian footballers. If any Australian footballers sign for Charlton it will only be because they are capable of playing at the appropriate level or higher.
    They’re more interested in getting Australians at home, and the Australian community in London, to support the team. They will be very vigorously promoting the club to the Australian community. I can only speculate that if there were any truly top class Australian footballers playing for Charlton, that would only help with that process.

7. They are looking to appoint a manager ASAP. My source spoke to Lee Bowyer yesterday, and he is being considered for the job. They have approached Chris Powell's people in an attempt to see if he is available as well. Other managers may also be considered, but only experienced ones. Mr Kewell isn't on the list apparently. They are aware that the transfer window is open.

8. They weren't too worried that we failed to win promotion. Again, because they see this as a long term project, not an immediate bid for glory.

9. They're genuinely looking forward to establishing contact with groups and trusts connected with Charlton, including CAST and the Community Trust if and when the sale has been completed.

There was probably more, and if I remember any of it I'll post here.

If anything comes up at our next meeting I'll also post it here.

Would like to take him to visit the Museum. I don't suppose anyone on here might be available to help with that ;-)

I wonder how Bexley Boy / Colin is going to take credit for this scoop? Answers on a post code. My guess is It’ll start with ...

‘Met up with my contact yesterday for a beer ...’
  • Options
    Very encouraging news, for Duchâtelet and bidders to both confirm within a couple of days that he is looking to sell lock, stock and barrel is for sure the best thing I’ve heard for ages.
  • Options
    Thanks JS and hopefully Mrs JS for her forebearance
  • Options
    edited May 2018

Thanks JS and hopefully Mrs JS for her forebearance

Like & LOL....brilliant stuff JS

Nearly there 3blokes...thank FUCKS coming very soon hopefully...
  • Options
    This was much more palatable than yesterday's Belgian waffle.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Many thanks to Belgian police who have just popped over to our hotel and insisted we all hand over photo ID and desist with any political activity in public unless we obtain a license which they implied would not be forthcoming.

On the orders of the police chief.

I think a license would be forthcoming, if required. Fuck off Duchâtelet.

Was the Police chief in Thunderbird 1 or Thunderbird 2.?
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:

Apologies, you're correct, I had to clear up, and get the dishwasher on.....

It also took longer to write than I expected. Gotta get it right!

I hope you're not disappointed that there isn't more, or that I can't name a date. But my overall impressions are positive:

https://jimmyseed.blogspot.co.uk/ (It's all there, but will add below as well):

So here are my thoughts after sharing a beer with someone connected with the takeover of Charlton Athletic. He agreed that I can share this info, but asked that I don't reveal his identity before the club is sold. I know I've already mentioned that I knew someone connected to the Australian consortium, but this meeting could have been with a mutual acquaintance, or someone acting as an intermediary. Speculating on who the meeting was with might well lead to a drying up of info, so please don't.

I really like what I heard yesterday evening. Our meeting lasted 45 minutes, I was holding a dinner party for my wife's birthday at 8pm, and I was more than late. I was supposed to be preparing the food!

We should be meeting again soon (assuming my wife will let me), because my contact is very keen on seeing Jimmy Seed's memorabilia. He also asked for copy of his autobiography. (He actually nearly bit my hand off when I said I had a spare). What a change from the previous regime's attitude to the Club's history! The interest in Seed and the club's past was genuine, and very encouraging.

We didn't discuss finance I'm afraid. I'm not sure this can be discussed until after the sale has gone through. I didn't want to push it. So I don't know what they're paying for the club, other than that there will be no add-ons after the sale has gone through.

Interestingly, but not surprisingly, my contact has for months been inundated by emails from people asking about the takeover, but he is sorry he hasn't been able to answer any of them up to this point.

In no particular order:

1. They’re hoping, subject to approval from a couple of investors and the EFL, that the sale will happen next week. I think they might being a little optimistic with their estimate of the how long the EFL can take processing these fit and proper person tests, so an extra week or two might be on the cards? (Just guessing). But they're patient people.
    They believe it will happen, but that's all they would say on the matter.
    They say they're in this for the long haul, and it's already been a two year project, which so far has cost them a million Pounds. They mentioned a five year plan to get the club into the Premier League, which is their stated aim. The five year plan might include the previous two years ago, I'm not sure. They are interested in success. They have ambition. It's the Australian mentality when it comes to sport.

2. He described Fulham as being the only other club in London they might have been interested in. Why? Because both clubs 'have great fans, and a great stadium', which they see as key. They appreciate that fans are the heart of the club, and pointed out how 'different' the ownership system is in England, compared to the fan ownership system in Australia. They seem very aware of the differences between the fans of Charlton, and the fans of some of our London 'rivals', and see that as a big positive. They respect the passion.

3. They see they Australian system of 'Membership' as something they want to promote at Charlton. In Australia clubs have 'memberships' into the high tens of thousands - Essendon have just topped the 70,000 mark, for example. (Click here to read more.) How that might translate to how Charlton is run and owned remains to be seen, but I believe they see season ticket holders as the current 'members'. My contact was very pleased to hear that many people are waiting until new owners are in place to renew their season tickets. I was surprised they didn't know that already!

4. The reason for all the delays hasn't actually been to do with Roland Duchâtelet dragging his feet. Due diligence has been massively complicated by the fact that RD didn't actually complete proper due diligence himself when he bought the club, because of the circumstances of the sale. The complications they have encountered have apparently been a legacy of the previous Tony Jimenez and Michael Slater regime. I can't comment on their feelings about Roland Duchâtelet. Apparently RD mentioned how powerful the fans are at Charlton, something he hadn't experienced before. I think they see this as a positive.

5. They are buying the club, lock, stock and barrel. Roland wants to sell, and isn’t looking to hang on to any assets, Sparrows Lane for example - and isn’t looking for and sell-on deals vis a vis player sales. My source hasn't met with Duchâtelet, but has been dealing with his representatives. It's has been a very complicated process, but there has been no dragging of feet.

6. It was never the intention to make Charlton a kind of nursery club for Australian footballers. If any Australian footballers sign for Charlton it will only be because they are capable of playing at the appropriate level or higher.
    They’re more interested in getting Australians at home, and the Australian community in London, to support the team. They will be very vigorously promoting the club to the Australian community. I can only speculate that if there were any truly top class Australian footballers playing for Charlton, that would only help with that process.

7. They are looking to appoint a manager ASAP. My source spoke to Lee Bowyer yesterday, and he is being considered for the job. They have approached Chris Powell's people in an attempt to see if he is available as well. Other managers may also be considered, but only experienced ones. Mr Kewell isn't on the list apparently. They are aware that the transfer window is open.

8. They weren't too worried that we failed to win promotion. Again, because they see this as a long term project, not an immediate bid for glory.

9. They're genuinely looking forward to establishing contact with groups and trusts connected with Charlton, including CAST and the Community Trust if and when the sale has been completed.

There was probably more, and if I remember any of it I'll post here.

If anything comes up at our next meeting I'll also post it here.

Would like to take him to visit the Museum. I don't suppose anyone on here might be available to help with that ;-)

Good work feller, finally a post from someone that seems to actually have a source....
  • Options
    Interesting comment about Powell, don't think he'd leave Southend, he's a legend there and tbh I'd lose respect for him if he left for us now.
  • Options
    This is great news. Thanks for sharing James. Perhaps we're finally going to get a bit of good fortune after all these years. On paper, the new owners sound like an excellent fit for us.
  • Options
    Uboat said:

Great stuff, thanks @JamesSeed. All positive. Best get ourselves down the local Walkabout.

I'm going to celebrate by having a barbecue in my pants and vest before getting eaten by a shark.
    This!!
  • Options

James can you elaborate on this bit

They’re hoping, subject to approval from a couple of investors
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!