Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

The Takeover Thread - Duchatelet Finally Sells (Jan 2020)

Comments

• Options

These guys have clearly understood that CAFC is a very special club, one of a kind.

True, but as they indicated, Fulham comes the closest. Much as I admire and respect Fulham, I cannot see that it is close to Charlton as a project for expansion and improvement. Fulham has Chelsea only a mile away, plus QPR, Brentford and Wimbledon also in their catchment area. We only have Millwall, whose reputation will forever limit the number of new fans they can attract, especially overseas.
  • Options
    Thanks James. Sounds really positive and I hope to be renewing very very soon when the announcement is made.
  • Options

These guys have clearly understood that CAFC is a very special club, one of a kind.

True, but as they indicated, Fulham comes the closest. Much as I admire and respect Fulham, I cannot see that it is close to Charlton as a project for expansion and improvement. Fulham has Chelsea only a mile away, plus QPR, Brentford and Wimbledon also in their catchment area. We only have Millwall, whose reputation will forever limit the number of new fans they can attract, especially overseas.
    And Premier League football just accross the river and easier to get to as well.

• Options
    edited May 2018

Interesting comment about Powell, don't think he'd leave Southend, he's a legend there and tbh I'd lose respect for him if he left for us now.

It may be that, when negotiating the Southend job, and knowing that a vacancy could arise at Charlton in the near future, Powell negotiated an escape clause should he be offered the managership (or head coach job) at Charlton. If so, he could be excused for leaving.

But if not, then I agree. It would not be in character.
  • Options

This might have something to do with it!!

The 2001 UK Census recorded 107,871 Australian-born people. In that census, the highest concentration of Australians in the UK was recorded in south-west London, with sizeable communities in Earl's Court, Kensington, Hammersmith, Fulham, Shepherds Bush and Putney.
  • Options
    Fulham is slap bang in the middle of the Aussie catchment area in London.
  • Options
    I'm sure Fulham fans are the most well off of all the London clubs too, which much have a certain attraction
  • Options
    bobmunro said:

This might have something to do with it!!

The 2001 UK Census recorded 107,871 Australian-born people. In that census, the highest concentration of Australians in the UK was recorded in south-west London, with sizeable communities in Earl's Court, Kensington, Hammersmith, Fulham, Shepherds Bush and Putney.
    Explains why Meire was targetting that area as potential for
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    ticket sales:-)
  • Options
    In case you haven't been there recently Earl's Court is one big building site at the moment
  • Options

Uboat said:

Great stuff, thanks @JamesSeed. All positive. Best get ourselves down the local Walkabout.

I'm going to celebrate by having a barbecue in my pants and vest before getting eaten by a shark.
    Why on earth would you stick a barbecue in your pants and vest and light it? Very dangerous!!
    Obviously going to prepare himself some meat and two veg.
  • Options

James can you elaborate on this bit

They’re hoping, subject to approval from a couple of investors

i will ask again in case jim missed it first time

this is the most important part of your post can you expand
  • Options

Interesting comment about Powell, don't think he'd leave Southend, he's a legend there and tbh I'd lose respect for him if he left for us now.

straight swap - Powell comes home, Bowyer goes home (East End and Essex basically the same place), everyone's happy.
  • Options
    Great news James, off now for a celebratory wank ,... Back in about 1 minute.
  • Options
    @JamesSeed

Only just read your earlier post. If what you say is true, the nightmare must nearly be over.

And if Powell comes home as well, then I really will believe in miracles.

• Options
    Took longer than I thought, .... Couldn't find a spare sock!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    New yellow and green away kit next season?
  • Options
    I simply want the moment to arrive when I feel I can buy our season tickets again.
    Before the start of next season is my preference.
  • Options
    Great info, thanks @JamesSeed I feel much more relaxed after reading your blog entry. I did have reservations about this group and some of the stories we've been hearing recently about them not having enough to buy the entire club, Roly wanting to hold on to certain parts of it, appointing Kewell, the whole player farm etc. I've got everything crossed that this goes through as soon as possible and these guys turn out to be the real deal.
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!