Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

The Takeover Thread - Duchatelet Finally Sells (Jan 2020)

Comments

• Options

The cats out of the bag Henry. If it doesn't happen now it's all your fault.

"Buying a football club is like making love to a beautiful woman"
    What do you mean you can only dream of it?
  • Options

Yeah, but it's the Belgian chocolates that worry me, Lindor on the other hand.......
  • Options

Should only take a couple of minutes to complete the job?
  • Options

It’s a perfect match, you’re riding home with the finishing line in touching distance, then suddenly there’s a loose moment in the box...
  • Options

SDAddick said:

SDAddick said:

SDAddick said:

drewman said:

drewman said:

How depressing.

Given that we are down to discussing the relative merits of our sellable youth products because there isn't the slightest sniff of a rumour or any gossip which suggests that a sale process is even possible, let alone imminent, it appears that my estrangement from my football club is likely to continue for the foreseeable future....

It feels strange. Normally, I would be eagerly poring through any possible transfer rumours in eager anticipation of a squad being assembled with the potential to bring us glory next season....but this summer, I haven't even looked at the transfer thread once, and I can't see myself doing so, either. I'm just not interested in the machinations being orchestrated (or not) by a manager and administration that I feel no affinity or affection for and I just wish would disappear and never come back.

As it stands, this is not my club anymore....it's like watching a horror movie where a familiar old friend has been transformed into a slavering, mindless zombie. As a diseased and decaying CAFC limply staggers along in search of brains (which would be profits for RD if I'm going to pursue this tortured analogy) I simply cannot recognise it as my dear, cherished, contented and proud friend that was once so full of life....not least because it stinks pretty badly - a rather off-putting, foetid stench of rot, misery and death which I (and many others it seems) find utterly repellent. Quite simply, I don't recognise it anymore.

I look forward to the day when the curse is lifted and I get my beloved friend back . Sadly, it doesn't look like that is going to happen any time soon...

Its a strange day when I looked forward more to the Bromley fixtures coming out than the Charlton ones and I'm jealous of Leyton Orient. Let me rephrase that. I am envious of a non league club because they have promising new ownership. Just fuck off Roland and give me my club back.
    You're jealous of Leyton Orient ? Wow.
    I know, didn't think the day would come but they are at least a club united.
    I know what you mean, but they are 17th in The National League. I wouldn't want to swap places thank-you.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/national-league
    True but as you yourself said to Meire we're similar in size to half a dozen clubs in the Premier League
    And smaller than a lot of clubs in the Championship (Leeds, Forest, Derby, Boro, Sunderland, Sheff Wed, Villa, etc).

"Size" and history don't matter much these days. Gate receipts only make for a portion of income. It's TV money and whether or not you have an owner willing to pump money into the club like Bournemouth or Leicester or Watford, etc. I just worry about us thinking we have a devine right to being in the Premier League.
    Location matters a huge amount though. As does having a stadium which is ready for the Premier League. If you want to play the PL game, there are necessarily a finite number of clubs you can buy and a very limited number in London.
    A fair point regarding London, though I believe all of the aforementioned have grounds that have hosted Premier League games.

It's not that I think we're unattractive entirely, it's just I'm not convinced we're 70m pounds just for the acquisition attractive.
    Where does £70m come from though? The point about the stadium is not that, say, Derby don't have one, but that the likely to be available London clubs with PL stadiums - or stadiums tha can be improved to that level - is a short list. In fact, I'd argue we are the only club on it.
    70m was 55m asking price plus 18m in debt that I thought you mentioned earlier but I may have read that wrong, apologies.

Regarding the ground, yeah, I think that's fair if being in London is the objective. And you're right, not only are we in London but we're in a good part of London.
    I wouldn't say Charlton was an especially good part of London, the transport links aren't as good as some other clubs and the location doesn't have the glamour that Fulham and Chelsea have
    Ah hem, transport links would be excellent if we had a ground at the Peninsular and the glamour also.
    But the Peninsular is spreading along towards Woolwich. We have the new shopping centre and the new development of Anchor and Hope lane will make Charlton very desirable.
    When is the A&H development starting?
    Charltonconversations.com

has a lot of info.
  • Options
    Have any other media picked this up yet?
  • Options
    imminent sees to take a long time doesn't it
  • Options

imminent sees to take a long time doesn't it

Next week at earliest was what the report said and my guess is it will take longer, if it happens at all.

• Options
    possible take over one day may happen would be the more appropriate thread name
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Personally havent seen it anywhere else. Dont think the mainstream media would be that interested in a takeover of a league 1 side until it actually happpens
  • Options

Maybe but imminent doesn't mean now. Brexit is imminent but is over a year away
  • Options
    But imminent means about to happen.
  • Options
    edited October 2017
    dickplumb said:

But imminent means about to happen.

Yes but it doesn't mean now or next week or next month.

And the "???" Makes it a question not a statement
  • Options
    Hopefully it will occur if the right people before next transfer window and bolster rather than hinder this season's promotion chances.
  • Options

Personally havent seen it anywhere else. Dont think the mainstream media would be that interested in a takeover of a league 1 side until it actually happpens
    They have covered the story for a while now.
    True, it’s moved on to a more, shall we say, interesting stage in proceedings but to outsiders it’s not exactly new news that an Oz consortium are sniffing around.
  • Options

They have covered the story for a while now.
    True, it’s moved on to a more, shall we say, interesting stage in proceedings but to outsiders it’s not exactly new news that an Oz consortium are sniffing around.
    True. It was initially covered in the daily mail i think but nothing on this new development.
  • Options
    Not off again is it?

• Options

From a selfish point of view anyone but Roland is my choice because on the minuscule chance the new owners are worse we will still get a chance as fans to come together, for however briefly that be .
    There was about 20 of us as season ticket holders in the NWQ when the Belgian circus turned up , now there’s 5 of us in the family stand .
    Friends and their children , sisters , niece and nephews(cousins to my sons) that have not been to The Valley since the sofa was shredded .
    The insults and pathetic management from the stewards of our club pushing these fans away, those that were old enough were all there for our previous League One experience , it was the Roland factor that pushed them away and I guess for the majority of the other 4-5k that have disappeared since our last League One sojourn .
    Will they come back, even if briefly , I hope so .
    I’ll be in that club shop buying new Charlton tops and paraphernalia as soon as this current circus fucks off .
    I’ll be booking up mascot packages for my kids , niece and nephews asap.
    I’ll be booking up the lounges for Charlton piss up with mates that we don’t see too often .

These are things I and my friends all used to do till the dark cloud of Roland settled over The Valley .

I’m not gonna hang around and do due diligence on how shit the new ownership maybe (I didn’t on Roland , it soon became clear when the likes of Kermorgant and SCP left but I still gave them a chance )

I’ll be looking forward to buying a match day programme again (do they still have the away numbers in them) for the first time in a few seasons .
    I won’t feel bad about telling mates they shouldn’t be buying stuff for their kids at the ground .

I wish my moral compass hadn’t stopped me going about my normal Charlton life but I for one could not turn a blind eye to the pissy vinegar comments and the pisstake of an experiment taking place at The Valley .

Yes this season we seem a lot more settled but that’s because of the crap position the club has headed to that anything seems great compared to the shit that’s been foisted upon us.
    I’ve never been that excited about 5th in the third tier but with this ownership it’s even more of a turn off.

So let’s throw the dice and even if it gets worse , to me it will be better to have tried and failed than not have tried at all
    My upside for the end of this ownership will be the chance to see all my young uns be mascot at The Valley and to enjoy the Charlton experience again , however fleetingly that may be .

The day these clowns leave town there will be some celebrations in my household as we can ,for a small time at least , join up with our Charlton family, happy again to be just normal fans of our football club and who knows the new ownership may even care a little about us and results !

Roland go forth and multiply .

Great stuff oohaah. I'll be in the queue for the box office as soon as the news is confirmed as well.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

SDAddick said:

SDAddick said:

SDAddick said:

drewman said:

drewman said:

How depressing.

Given that we are down to discussing the relative merits of our sellable youth products because there isn't the slightest sniff of a rumour or any gossip which suggests that a sale process is even possible, let alone imminent, it appears that my estrangement from my football club is likely to continue for the foreseeable future....

It feels strange. Normally, I would be eagerly poring through any possible transfer rumours in eager anticipation of a squad being assembled with the potential to bring us glory next season....but this summer, I haven't even looked at the transfer thread once, and I can't see myself doing so, either. I'm just not interested in the machinations being orchestrated (or not) by a manager and administration that I feel no affinity or affection for and I just wish would disappear and never come back.

As it stands, this is not my club anymore....it's like watching a horror movie where a familiar old friend has been transformed into a slavering, mindless zombie. As a diseased and decaying CAFC limply staggers along in search of brains (which would be profits for RD if I'm going to pursue this tortured analogy) I simply cannot recognise it as my dear, cherished, contented and proud friend that was once so full of life....not least because it stinks pretty badly - a rather off-putting, foetid stench of rot, misery and death which I (and many others it seems) find utterly repellent. Quite simply, I don't recognise it anymore.

I look forward to the day when the curse is lifted and I get my beloved friend back . Sadly, it doesn't look like that is going to happen any time soon...

Its a strange day when I looked forward more to the Bromley fixtures coming out than the Charlton ones and I'm jealous of Leyton Orient. Let me rephrase that. I am envious of a non league club because they have promising new ownership. Just fuck off Roland and give me my club back.
    I know what you mean, but they are 17th in The National League. I wouldn't want to swap places thank-you.

True but as you yourself said to Meire we're similar in size to half a dozen clubs in the Premier League
    And smaller than a lot of clubs in the Championship (Leeds, Forest, Derby, Boro, Sunderland, Sheff Wed, Villa, etc).

"Size" and history don't matter much these days. Gate receipts only make for a portion of income. It's TV money and whether or not you have an owner willing to pump money into the club like Bournemouth or Leicester or Watford, etc. I just worry about us thinking we have a devine right to being in the Premier League.
    Location matters a huge amount though. As does having a stadium which is ready for the Premier League. If you want to play the PL game, there are necessarily a finite number of clubs you can buy and a very limited number in London.
    A fair point regarding London, though I believe all of the aforementioned have grounds that have hosted Premier League games.

It's not that I think we're unattractive entirely, it's just I'm not convinced we're 70m pounds just for the acquisition attractive.
    Where does £70m come from though? The point about the stadium is not that, say, Derby don't have one, but that the likely to be available London clubs with PL stadiums - or stadiums tha can be improved to that level - is a short list. In fact, I'd argue we are the only club on it.
    70m was 55m asking price plus 18m in debt that I thought you mentioned earlier but I may have read that wrong, apologies.

Regarding the ground, yeah, I think that's fair if being in London is the objective. And you're right, not only are we in London but we're in a good part of London.
    Sorry to labour this point but it's important. The £55m (at June 2016) includes the £18.6m. The money he's put in is £55m less that £18.6m, because that's what he paid for the assets, so adding it is double counting.
    What about the Lookman money?.
  • Options

SDAddick said:

SDAddick said:

SDAddick said:

drewman said:

drewman said:

How depressing.

Sorry to labour this point but it's important. The £55m (at June 2016) includes the £18.6m. The money he's put in is £55m less that £18.6m, because that's what he paid for the assets, so adding it is double counting.
    Spent on dancing lessons.
  • Options

I don't think I can wait another year :(
  • Options

I don't think I can wait another year :(
    You may have to.
  • Options

Not off again is it?

Now wouldn’t that be the most charlton thing ever
  • Options

Probably costs about the same as well
  • Options

Not off again is it?

It would I suppose mate.

That's if u think it was ever on in the first place!
  • Options
    Sounds like we are very much on the back foot. Ref not helping much either.
  • Options

SDAddick said:

SDAddick said:

SDAddick said:

drewman said:

drewman said:

How depressing.

It's all gone into a couple of trenches
  • Options

Not off again is it?

It would I suppose mate.

That's if u think it was ever on in the first place!

Something is or was happening that I am certain how close how imminent how far they are going with it is open for interpretation,

I know that it’s not always a good thing to let the info out that has reached and I def don’t think it’s a good thing to mention things like who and how many potential sources there are

Imo it shows a great deal of miss trust and I would question the reasons why it was leaked to AB knowing it would go in the votv

I hope that it’s not trouble making by the person leaking
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!