Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

The Takeover Thread - Duchatelet Finally Sells (Jan 2020)

Comments

• Options

drewman said:

drewman said:

How depressing.

Given that we are down to discussing the relative merits of our sellable youth products because there isn't the slightest sniff of a rumour or any gossip which suggests that a sale process is even possible, let alone imminent, it appears that my estrangement from my football club is likely to continue for the foreseeable future....

It feels strange. Normally, I would be eagerly poring through any possible transfer rumours in eager anticipation of a squad being assembled with the potential to bring us glory next season....but this summer, I haven't even looked at the transfer thread once, and I can't see myself doing so, either. I'm just not interested in the machinations being orchestrated (or not) by a manager and administration that I feel no affinity or affection for and I just wish would disappear and never come back.

As it stands, this is not my club anymore....it's like watching a horror movie where a familiar old friend has been transformed into a slavering, mindless zombie. As a diseased and decaying CAFC limply staggers along in search of brains (which would be profits for RD if I'm going to pursue this tortured analogy) I simply cannot recognise it as my dear, cherished, contented and proud friend that was once so full of life....not least because it stinks pretty badly - a rather off-putting, foetid stench of rot, misery and death which I (and many others it seems) find utterly repellent. Quite simply, I don't recognise it anymore.

I look forward to the day when the curse is lifted and I get my beloved friend back . Sadly, it doesn't look like that is going to happen any time soon...

Its a strange day when I looked forward more to the Bromley fixtures coming out than the Charlton ones and I'm jealous of Leyton Orient. Let me rephrase that. I am envious of a non league club because they have promising new ownership. Just fuck off Roland and give me my club back.
    You're jealous of Leyton Orient ? Wow.
    I know, didn't think the day would come but they are at least a club united.
    I know what you mean, but they are 17th in The National League. I wouldn't want to swap places thank-you.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/national-league
    True but as you yourself said to Meire we're similar in size to half a dozen clubs in the Premier League
    What was her response to that?
  • Options
    Scoham said:

drewman said:

drewman said:

How depressing.

Given that we are down to discussing the relative merits of our sellable youth products because there isn't the slightest sniff of a rumour or any gossip which suggests that a sale process is even possible, let alone imminent, it appears that my estrangement from my football club is likely to continue for the foreseeable future....

It feels strange. Normally, I would be eagerly poring through any possible transfer rumours in eager anticipation of a squad being assembled with the potential to bring us glory next season....but this summer, I haven't even looked at the transfer thread once, and I can't see myself doing so, either. I'm just not interested in the machinations being orchestrated (or not) by a manager and administration that I feel no affinity or affection for and I just wish would disappear and never come back.

As it stands, this is not my club anymore....it's like watching a horror movie where a familiar old friend has been transformed into a slavering, mindless zombie. As a diseased and decaying CAFC limply staggers along in search of brains (which would be profits for RD if I'm going to pursue this tortured analogy) I simply cannot recognise it as my dear, cherished, contented and proud friend that was once so full of life....not least because it stinks pretty badly - a rather off-putting, foetid stench of rot, misery and death which I (and many others it seems) find utterly repellent. Quite simply, I don't recognise it anymore.

I look forward to the day when the curse is lifted and I get my beloved friend back . Sadly, it doesn't look like that is going to happen any time soon...

Its a strange day when I looked forward more to the Bromley fixtures coming out than the Charlton ones and I'm jealous of Leyton Orient. Let me rephrase that. I am envious of a non league club because they have promising new ownership. Just fuck off Roland and give me my club back.
    I know what you mean, but they are 17th in The National League. I wouldn't want to swap places thank-you.

True but as you yourself said to Meire we're similar in size to half a dozen clubs in the Premier League
    What was her response to that?
    Can't remember now tbh
  • Options

I feel people are so quick to forget what has gone on, because of a decent start to a season in the league below the one in which Charlton were playing at the time of Duchatalet's aquisition.

How can the complete disregard for the fans and the club's heritage, and the disastrous decisions this regime have presided over be forgotten.

I will not be over cautious of any new regime, I will be forever thankful that they took control from a maniac who could have damaged this club beyond repair.

If we are asked to stick or twist in terms of ownership, then nothing will convince me that twist is not the correct answer.

Nobody is forgetting what has gone on. We are only trying to contextualize things and be cautious of the fact that we know nothing about the man or group being linked with a takeover because the last time something like that happened, we ended up with this lot.
  • Options

What I want to know RD has spent over £55m and we are a league one club.What would I new owner need to spend to get us to the premiership? . £100m also how would they ever get there money back?.Also to stay in the prembership £70m at least per season is needed on new players. Ps I know we are in league one at the moment.

Hmm. Ask Burnley.
  • Options

Uboat said:

I'm not excited about the new owners. I'm excited about Roland and friends going. I realise that you can't have one without the other, but when you're being held hostage you don't worry too much about who it is that's going to rescue you.
    Any new owners will, as a minimum, frustrate and disappoint sooner or later. It's inevitable and we need to be realistic about that. As others have said though, the chances of the new person/people bring worse than RD are pretty slim.

Of that there is no doubt.

The doubt comes from the wealth and competence. If someone fails to do their numbers and/or makes incorrect assumptions we could end up no better off and facing administration and/or liquidation.

I'm not saying that I am not excited about the future, but I still can't understand why anyone would look to sink £50m plus into a football club with no, genuine, financial return.
    Exactly. Thank you kha. My big concern is who would buy us now and why?
  • Options

What I want to know RD has spent over £55m and we are a league one club.What would I new owner need to spend to get us to the premiership? . £100m also how would they ever get there money back?.Also to stay in the prembership £70m at least per season is needed on new players. Ps I know we are in league one at the moment.

Hmm. Ask Burnley.
    Or Watford or Palace or Swansea or West Brom
  • Options
    edited October 2017

drewman said:

drewman said:

How depressing.

And smaller than a lot of clubs in the Championship (Leeds, Forest, Derby, Boro, Sunderland, Sheff Wed, Villa, etc).

"Size" and history don't matter much these days. Gate receipts only make for a portion of income. It's TV money and whether or not you have an owner willing to pump money into the club like Bournemouth or Leicester or Watford, etc. I just worry about us thinking we have a devine right to being in the Premier League.
  • Options

Hmm. Ask Burnley.
    Or Watford or Palace or Swansea or West Brom
    Watford are a special case in that they have had the Pozo network.

Swansea and West Brom are good examples of a slow, sustained growth with a sensible business model.

Palace were close to going to the wall when what's his name jumped in to save them, and yes has now reaped the rewards.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    HarryLime said:

Sources suggest the stumbling block in last-minute negotiations could be the future role of highly rated Chief Exec Ms Katrien Nightmeire

Suggestions are urgently needed for her appropriate position in the exciting new era ahead ...

I think she'd be a shoe in for reality TV. She ticks so many boxes: nobody other than us lot have heard of her, she is self important, she talks rubbish, she winds people up.
    I can see her in the Jungle.
    Preferably one with tigers in
  • Options

SDAddick said:

drewman said:

drewman said:

How depressing.

And smaller than a lot of clubs in the Championship (Leeds, Forest, Derby, Boro, Sunderland, Sheff Wed, Villa, etc).

"Size" and history don't matter much these days. Gate receipts only make for a portion of income. It's TV money and whether or not you have an owner willing to pump money into the club like Bournemouth or Leicester or Watford, etc. I just worry about us thinking we have a devine right to being in the Premier League.
    Location matters a huge amount though. As does having a stadium which is ready for the Premier League. If you want to play the PL game, there are necessarily a finite number of clubs you can buy and a very limited number in London.
    A fair point regarding London, though I believe all of the aforementioned have grounds that have hosted Premier League games.

It's not that I think we're unattractive entirely, it's just I'm not convinced we're 70m pounds just for the acquisition attractive.
  • Options
    SDAddick said:

drewman said:

drewman said:

How depressing.

I don't think our feeling we have a divine right to be in the premier league lasted beyond the first time we were relegated to L1.
  • Options

SDAddick said:

drewman said:

drewman said:

How depressing.

Location matters a huge amount though. As does having a stadium which is ready for the Premier League. If you want to play the PL game, there are necessarily a finite number of clubs you can buy and a very limited number in London.
    Cannot understand how we are not top of the list for takeovers and have ended up with the current situation when the above criteria is laid out and other clubs with less on paper seem to get more offers. Very frustrating.
  • Options
    Oi Roland, Shut up
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

se9addick said:

@Redchaser I agree with all you say.

All we can do is see how it all pans out, who knows another consortium might show their hand if this one fails to complete a deal.

One thing is for sure until RD has gone in total, the club & the rift between fans are not going to heal.

My concerns are from post one of this thread, particularly these bits from the Mail on line .

AFC, who have their sights on making Charlton the breeding ground for talent from Down Under, have undertaken initial due diligence with plans to turn Karl Robinson's side into 'Australia's Football Club'.

AFC's stated aim is to return Charlton to the Premier League, though there is a desire to create a natural link between the club and Australian football, making Charlton something of a feeder club for the next generation of Aussie superstars.

Nothing wrong with Premiership ambitions, but achieving it with ‘promising’ young Aussie lads seems about as likely as getting there with Belgian rejects. I hate to think of Charlton as a feeder club with a stolen identity.

Just to be clear, I want the present owner out, but surely the main objective must be to restore Charlton's identity.

Surely work permit issues would stop young Australian players who haven't yet played for the national team coming over en masse?
    It would but its a lot easier for Aussies to get a general Visa to the UK as there is an ancestral visa scheme, whether translates to sports persons I do not know
    These days relatively few people qualify, as a lot of the British ancestry is too far back
    A British grandparent is enough to get a visa.
  • Options

I feel people are so quick to forget what has gone on, because of a decent start to a season in the league below the one in which Charlton were playing at the time of Duchatalet's aquisition.

How can the complete disregard for the fans and the club's heritage, and the disastrous decisions this regime have presided over be forgotten.

I will not be over cautious of any new regime, I will be forever thankful that they took control from a maniac who could have damaged this club beyond repair.

If we are asked to stick or twist in terms of ownership, then nothing will convince me that twist is not the correct answer.

I guess they must have learned from their mistakes.

Great post Addicted
  • Options
    SDAddick said:

drewman said:

drewman said:

How depressing.

No one is saying we have a devine right.

But it is possible to get in the Prem without spending billions and with a sensible network alarm Watford but Duchatelet built up debt without even challenging.
  • Options
    Having trouble attending to my needs as my fingers have been crossed since yesterday and are beginning to atrophy. Believe it when I see it but a little bit of hope is nice. I do share the worries of those who fear that we could move from a madman to a lunatic, but hey, let’s live a little.
  • Options

Airman please

The plural of stadium is stadia

Airman thanks

For keeping us all in the no

And surely devine (sic) is divine. I wouldn't normally bring it up but coming from @SDAddick & @Henry Irving is shocking. Unless of course you were both referring to the old Arsenal & Eire full back John Devine.
  • Options
    edited October 2017

Airman please

The plural of stadium is stadia

Airman thanks

For keeping us all in the no

I'll have you no it's not (necessarily).

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stadium
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!