Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

The Takeover Thread - Duchatelet Finally Sells (Jan 2020)

Comments

• clb74 said:

Curb_It said:

This thread!! Jesus!

Is he one of the potential buyers as well
    No, but he lent money to the spiv regime, according to the recent court judgement.
  • Stig said:

Gillis said:

Latest score from CL Towers....

Obsequious United 20 The Presidents (X)I 0.

Its all a bit (very) childish tbh, then again no more than I would have expected.

You cant win the argument by facts therefore resort to childish ridicule.

No, I just won the debate by turning your arguments back on you in order to show how ridiculous they are.

It's not childish, it's the art of debate but you wont understand that either.
    'Won' - is this a competition?
    You are aware that you used the word 'win' first, in the very post that Henry quoted?

Just like you indulged in name calling before complaining about other people's childish comments?

I honestly can't decide whether this has all been a massive wind up, or just an astonishing lack of self awareness. I'm leaning towards the former.
    Glad someone else noticed. Went straight over president's head.

Meanwhile back to the takeover. Here is your cryptic clue on yesterday's gossip.

Hmmm, a Charlton crest used as an escutcheon over a Union Flag. The Union Flag has become closely associated with Brexit, indicating perhaps that someone is about to leave. But who - Meire? She has already gone. Joyes? No offence, but surely not significant enough to warrant an enamel badge. Could it be... dare we dream the dream... Duchatelet? Sadly, I think not. For surely if it was we'd see the famous crest of a rat-couchant lying sinister over a field of duck tape. Perhaps it refers to the possibility of Charlton leaving. But leaving what? Following the club's defeat to Oxford, it can only mean leaving their current place in the league hierarchy for a more lowly realm.

Let's look at the words, to see if they give any more clues. The second word Athletic comes from the Greek 'Athlētēs', meaning that someone is competing for a prize. In this case, perhaps another team competing for Charlton's prized place in League 1. But who? Let's see if there's a clue in the top word, Charlton. The keen-eyed here will notice that the first four letters in the word Char are the same as in our clubs name, Charlton. But what on the second set of four letters 'lton'. This is strange form when seen in isolation like this, but when then you notice that 'lton' or more properly L'ton is clearly a contraction on Luton.

Ladies and gentlemen, it is written in the stars and has been carefully recorded for us on an enamel badge by peoples of ancient wisdom. If Duchatelet remains, the Kingdom of Charlton shall perish to be replaced by pretenders from the north called Luton Town.
    Spot on
    To add to that sound reasoning, who has 2 youngster playing for Luton , is British and an ex Charlton player ?

Never let it be said that Fanny keeps her info to herself....
    Did he used to be a turnstile?
  • As an aside I've often wondered what would have happened if we HADN'T left The Valley in 1985. I suspect that when the Taylor report came in we would have done what Millwall did (and many other comparable clubs too and moved to a new ground, probably on the peninsula (which would have been the cheapest location). Unless we ended up in Thamesmead, or somewhere else equally "attractive"!

• Stig said:

Gillis said:

Latest score from CL Towers....

Obsequious United 20 The Presidents (X)I 0.

Its all a bit (very) childish tbh, then again no more than I would have expected.

You cant win the argument by facts therefore resort to childish ridicule.

No, I just won the debate by turning your arguments back on you in order to show how ridiculous they are.

It's not childish, it's the art of debate but you wont understand that either.
    'Won' - is this a competition?
    You are aware that you used the word 'win' first, in the very post that Henry quoted?

Just like you indulged in name calling before complaining about other people's childish comments?

I honestly can't decide whether this has all been a massive wind up, or just an astonishing lack of self awareness. I'm leaning towards the former.
    Glad someone else noticed. Went straight over president's head.

Meanwhile back to the takeover. Here is your cryptic clue on yesterday's gossip.

Hmmm, a Charlton crest used as an escutcheon over a Union Flag. The Union Flag has become closely associated with Brexit, indicating perhaps that someone is about to leave. But who - Meire? She has already gone. Joyes? No offence, but surely not significant enough to warrant an enamel badge. Could it be... dare we dream the dream... Duchatelet? Sadly, I think not. For surely if it was we'd see the famous crest of a rat-couchant lying sinister over a field of duck tape. Perhaps it refers to the possibility of Charlton leaving. But leaving what? Following the club's defeat to Oxford, it can only mean leaving their current place in the league hierarchy for a more lowly realm.

Let's look at the words, to see if they give any more clues. The second word Athletic comes from the Greek 'Athlētēs', meaning that someone is competing for a prize. In this case, perhaps another team competing for Charlton's prized place in League 1. But who? Let's see if there's a clue in the top word, Charlton. The keen-eyed here will notice that the first four letters in the word Char are the same as in our clubs name, Charlton. But what on the second set of four letters 'lton'. This is strange form when seen in isolation like this, but when then you notice that 'lton' or more properly L'ton is clearly a contraction on Luton.

Ladies and gentlemen, it is written in the stars and has been carefully recorded for us on an enamel badge by peoples of ancient wisdom. If Duchatelet remains, the Kingdom of Charlton shall perish to be replaced by pretenders from the north called Luton Town.
    Someone’s nicked the script from through the keyhole
  • As an aside I've often wondered what would have happened if we HADN'T left The Valley in 1985. I suspect that when the Taylor report came in we would have done what Millwall did (and many other comparable clubs too and moved to a new ground, probably on the peninsula (which would have been the cheapest location). Unless we ended up in Thamesmead, or somewhere else equally "attractive"!

Except that Charlton tried to do that in 1988 and the landowners weren’t having it.

Bostal Heath
  • Any actual takeover rumours? I’m guessing not.
  • No offers yet

Are we close @nth london addick ?
  • clb74 said:

Curb_It said:

This thread!! Jesus!

Nailed on.
  • Sponsored links:

• colthe3rd said:

clb74 said:

Curb_It said:

This thread!! Jesus!

Nailed on.
    I'd be cross if it turns out to be him.
  • CAFCsayer said:

colthe3rd said:

clb74 said:

Curb_It said:

This thread!! Jesus!

Nailed on.
    Christ sake....
  • So if the rumors are true and it’s the Aussie Muir and they want to bring in Aussie players how much different is that to RDs crazy scheme of bringing in 2nd rate network players?
  • ct_addick said:

So if the rumors are true and it’s the Aussie Muir and they want to bring in Aussie players how much different is that to RDs crazy scheme of bringing in 2nd rate network players?

Muir has never said he's going to bring in Aussie players.

That was the different Aussie consortium.

• edited February 2018

No offers yet

Same as before no change
  • ct_addick said:

So if the rumors are true and it’s the Aussie Muir and they want to bring in Aussie players how much different is that to RDs crazy scheme of bringing in 2nd rate network players?

Firstly he won't make meire a CEO.

Secondly mowgly won't be head scout.

Thirdly he never said he was going to bring in 2nd rate network players
  • edited February 2018
  • CAFCsayer said:

colthe3rd said:

clb74 said:

Curb_It said:

This thread!! Jesus!

Nailed on.
    Christ sake....
    It'd be like the second coming
  • Sponsored links:

• No offers yet

Same as before no change
    Wrong
  • I hate this thread. Everyday there are 100's of new posts, with 95% being either a load of crap. tosser's trying to outdo one another, puerile jokes or WUM's. The only posts worth reading are from @Airman Brown @Redhenry or @nth london addick . Keep up the work you 3, the rest of you please just go away & die.

Cracking final comment.........................not.
  • I hate this thread. Everyday there are 100's of new posts, with 95% being either a load of crap. tosser's trying to outdo one another, puerile jokes or WUM's. The only posts worth reading are from @Airman Brown @Redhenry or @nth london addick . Keep up the work you 3, the rest of you please just go away & die.

I'd knock it on the head golfie
  • J BLOCK said:

No offers yet

Same as before no change
    Wrong
    All well and good saying that, but why is he wrong..
  • It’s not wrong it’s the same

until someone shows the colour of their money which I know for 100% certainty has not happened we are in the same boat as last week and I will even put my neck on the block and sat we won’t be sold in February

• It’s not wrong it’s the same

until someone shows the colour of their money which I know for 100% certainty has not happened we are in the same boat as last week and I will even put my neck on the block and sat we won’t be sold in February

What’s the sticking point then? Price?

Standard CL thread
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!