Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

The Takeover Thread - Duchatelet Finally Sells (Jan 2020)

Comments

• edited June 2019
    I don’t buy all this he’s a lunatic, mental etc etc. In my interpretation he is most likely not a nice man, wholly single minded and an extremely tough / difficult negotiatior who has little interest in compromise, and most certainly no interest in what’s best for the club.

Ive no idea if it’s true, but if talk that the club and it’s assets can be acquired free of debt and with clean title as a Championship club for under £40m, then I’m coming round to thinking that that is fair value in this industry.

A Championship club sold 1 player for £15m yesterday.
    I would agree for the most part, but you also have to factor in that we are a Championship club who could be about to lose some major assets.  With the contracts expiring on many of our players and even the manager and his assistant, you have to say that if we are worth Championship club money, we would be valued at the lower end of the scale, in my opinion.  £40m, still seems a lot of money when whoever comes in is going to have to immediately shell out just to keep the staff we have.  It's clear we also need some quality players for the season to come which is another expense so our prospective new owner is going to need deep pockets from the outset.
  • se9addick said:
    I don’t buy all this he’s a lunatic, mental etc etc. In my interpretation he is most likely not a nice man, wholly single minded and an extremely tough / difficult negotiatior who has little interest in compromise, and most certainly no interest in what’s best for the club.

Ive no idea if it’s true, but if talk that the club and it’s assets can be acquired free of debt and with clean title as a Championship club for under £40m, then I’m coming round to thinking that that is fair value in this industry.

What is the likelihood of the £40M number being accurate? I think I’m right in saying we’ve heard numbers ranging from £1 - £70M.
    No idea, but there have been numerous different angles saying around £33m. If you add that ex Director issue that takes it to 40m.

As said, no idea if that is what Roland is prepared to accept or not. 
  • Chizz said:
    "Which is English for..."?

Hate to say it but this pissed me off more than it should have.
  • To the contrary @WestCountryAddick
    id say if you were to take over a club you’d want it to have as few existing financial commitments as possible as it gives you a better ability to implement your budget how you would want to and not be penalised (like we have in recent years) of having the likes of Sarr, Vetokele, Texteira etc on overinflated contracts
  • se9addick said:

What is the likelihood of the £40M number being accurate? I think I’m right in saying we’ve heard numbers ranging from £1 - £70M.
    No idea, but there have been numerous different angles saying around £33m. If you add that ex Director issue that takes it to 40m.

As said, no idea if that is what Roland is prepared to accept or not. 
    If that’s right the I agree that £40M for the club lock, stock and barell with no debt sounds fair, but I think you’d have to add something like £15M on top to make us competitive in the Championship. 
  • I don’t buy all this he’s a lunatic, mental etc etc. In my interpretation he is most likely not a nice man, wholly single minded and an extremely tough / difficult negotiatior who has little interest in compromise, and most certainly no interest in what’s best for the club.

Stockholm syndrome. RD is holding us to ransom  ;)
  • CAFCBell said:
    Nothing is developing here though is it. It is just a face and a name to a story we already knew about. A story that has not gone anywhere for a few months.
    I guess Dalman is going to have to comment on this publicly pretty soon if for no other reason than to clarify his plans with Vincent Tan at Cardiff.
    That doesn't have to be a public matter, they are pals, Tan probably already knows more then we do. 
    Yes, you may well be right, but is also likely he will be asked for comment by the press, particularly in Wales.
  • I’ve heard the figure is £37m
    Airman states in his latest VotV blog that the reported sales of CAFC in the £30-37M range do not include substantial payments upon any future promotion or perhaps player sell-on fees. And that the free and clear price is quoted as much higher. No way is RD walking away, writing-off £30-40M in debt now that we are in the Championship when we was unwilling to do so in League One.
    Not quite. What I’ve said is that the prices being discussed currently are different from what he has said to others in the recent past, so we need to be open to the possibility that they involve future payments - as LDT has stated publicly one agreed price does - which could be structured as debt left on the books and secured against the assets. It’s a possible explanation of the discrepancy. 

Another is that he is an idiot who turned away a higher price than he is now willing to accept.

I have a feeling the 2nd reason might be the one, Classic Roland

• Sponsored links:

• edited June 2019

Just to clarify - when I mentioned his "mental state", I wasn't inferring that he has a recognised mental problem, just that, in my opinion, he has all of those things you've mentioned and also a large dose of arrogance and stubbornness, leaving him with a mentality that everything in the world, and beyond, is exactly the was he sees it, nothing he does or says is ever wrong etc etc. There must be a name for it these days, narcissistic maybe? 
  • edited June 2019
    I suspect the reason for delays in the sale, is attached conditions to the contract of sale.

Such as, that RD wants his (or most) of money back, once (if) are promoted to the Premier Division.

Which reportedly the  65 million pounds lost over the course of his ownership.

Promotion has given him the opportunity to play prospective buyers against each other, to drive up the price.
    40 mil isn’t far off. But we are not an established Championship club and need to spend money just to try survive. If that fails you have spent a sizeable sum on a league one club continually losing money.

Its a massive gamble so you can see why buyers don’t want to take the risk. 

EDIT - was meant to quote Afka on this. 
  • 1714, following the death of Queen Anne George I becomes king.
  • maybe the need for paying off the FD debts, is RD wants to replace them with £30m of his own.
  • razil said:
    maybe the need for paying off the FD debts, is RD wants to replace them with £30m of his own.
    Why don't he pay them and make his own £37m, if that's the case?
  • Still puzzled as to why Dalman has leaked this to a Cardiff journalist or at all.  Surely it damages beyond repair his credibility as Chairman of Cardiff City should the deal fall over and is unlikely to have any pressurising effect on Duchatelet or at least I can’t see how it might. Could possibly encourage other potential buyers to press on more speedily and has it breached an NDA agreement ? 

• is this a new bid or just the old story of the mysterious banker 30mil bid

• You'd think that if Dalman has leaked it at the Cardiff end it could be quite far along?
  • ButtleJR said:
    You'd think that if Dalman has leaked it at the Cardiff end it could be quite far along?
    You would think so otherwise you wouldnt leak it 
  • is this a new bid or just the old story of the mysterious banker 30mil bid

Its the mysterious banker. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Are these figure roughly correct?

Asking price = £35m to £40m
    Plus debt to be paid to ex directors = £7m
    Debt to be quashed by Strapix (RD) = £68m

• Still puzzled as to why Dalman has leaked this to a Cardiff journalist or at all.  Surely it damages beyond repair his credibility as Chairman of Cardiff City should the deal fall over and is unlikely to have any pressurising effect on Duchatelet or at least I can’t see how it might. Could possibly encourage other potential buyers to press on more speedily and has it breached an NDA agreement ? 

How do we know he leaked it? Maybe someone else did it to try and force his hand?
  • Fumbluff said:
    I don’t believe he will quash the £68m in full, I never have...
    If we sell for £40m
    £7m goes to Directors
    then wouldn't it be £35m he'd have to just let go of? Not £68m.

Or are we actually in £108m debt?

How do we know he leaked it? Maybe someone else did it to try and force his hand?
    I think because it came from a Cardiff journalist who seems to have a close relationship with Dalaman people are concluding that it was the Dalaman side that leaked it. I have no idea what’s going on either way!!

I think I’m right in saying that the journalist said that a Dalman told him.
  • Fumbluff said:
    I don’t believe he will quash the £68m in full, I never have...
    Same - maybe he implies it will be to get a bite, then as it progresses, he tries to include stage payments / keeping ownership of the bricks and mortar / performance related payments etc...
  • edited June 2019
    Still puzzled as to why Dalman has leaked this to a Cardiff journalist or at all.  Surely it damages beyond repair his credibility as Chairman of Cardiff City should the deal fall over and is unlikely to have any pressurising effect on Duchatelet or at least I can’t see how it might. Could possibly encourage other potential buyers to press on more speedily and has it breached an NDA agreement ? 

There are indications that he made the decision some time ago to leave Cardiff at the end of the season - so if it does fall through he will probably still leave. It's not as if he needs the salary!

There are also reports (unsubstantiated of course) that journo's have known about the Charlton link for 3 months so it is likely to be at quite an advanced stage. It just means that his NDA was respected somewhat more than any the Aussies may have signed.

• clb74 said:
    JamesSeed said:
    Airman has confirmed that there is no shortage of potential buyers. Nobody is buying because Roland wants too much. So this is just more of the same crap. Are we supposed to forget he wants too much or assume an even bigger idiot than him wants to buy us at £60m?
    Sum is close to the £33m plus directors loans Muttley. Same for this Cardiff fella. It was more (nearer Airman’s £45m) but Roly reduced it (the selling his shares for £1 business). Roland wants out, and much of it is down to the protests which have really got to him. 
    Dalman seems like he means business, but he’ll probably discover all the crap that Gerard discovered, and it’s a question of whether or not it puts him off, I imagine. How it could happen quickly I have no idea, but we live in hope. 
    I don't think this fella will be messing about for 2 years James
    We shouldn't blame the Aussies for hanging about - we should praise them for it. If the price Duchatelet was asking for was completely unrealistic and they knew no-one else was going to pay it, why not wait for the price to drop? That is what appears to have happened. I'd rather new owners only pay what the deal is worth so that they have more money available to run the club. I don't believe for a minute that they will spend £40m acquiring the club and then be unable to develop it or run it for long enough before running out of funds.
    Sorry I don't buy that, especially as it's not an individual and the make up of the consortium seems to have changed during the period.

The idea that someone would try to buy a club, and then deliberately wait 2 years to get the price to come down is bizarre. If that was the case, why haven't the Aussies been linked with other clubs? If the Aussies were quoted an unacceptable price to buy us, surely the logical thing would be to say "goodbye drongo" and look elsewhere, not wait 2 years...
  • ButtleJR said:
    You'd think that if Dalman has leaked it at the Cardiff end it could be quite far along?
    You would think so otherwise you wouldnt leak it 

But why would you leak it?
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!