Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

The Takeover Thread - Duchatelet Finally Sells (Jan 2020)

Comments

• There is not a grain of truth in this and I can see this half baked deal going sour (dough).
  • JamesSeed said:
    What is puzzling is why the Aussies haven't walked away. And if they have, why it took them so long to do so. Logic would say, they are not far from the price agreement wise but haven't got the money. If they thought Roland was asking too much, why wouldn't they walk away sooner? There is a lot about all of this that doesn't make sense. Is there presence more helpful to Roland than us? I don't know. There seems to be more questions than answers.
    Let’s say they have spent £1m plus on DD, that is a lot to walk away from,especially if they think no one else is serious.  They could (and I suspect have) simply said to RD ‘our top price is £x, take it or leave it’ - he has said not now and they are stuck at an impasse.  He knows he has them as a fall back but is trying to find more, all the while losing money.  Why?  Because he is clearly mental.
    I think they’ve spent a bit more, but otherwise that’s roughly why they’re still there. No benefit in walking away. His problem, as we’ve seen, is keeping the consortium together, while Roland messes everybody about. 

Yes, I must admit I forgot about the serious amount of money they have put in. But surely there must be a point where you realise it isn't going to happen. The worry is that Roland may be using the fact they are there as a kind of insurance whilst he tries to find something better.

If the numbers we are all guessing at are anywhere near right, then the Aussies have spent a serious amount of money and that might be a good reason to hang on.  However, they also know that Roland is losing about the same about every five or six weeks.  So the longer they hold on, the smaller their costs become, compared to his.  

• Chizz said:
    I can't imagine an NDA preventing say, Murphy announcing to the press, our valuation is £30m. The owner wants more.
    What would be the benefit to Murphy of doing that?
    This. I’m sure we’d love to know, but there’s no incentive for him to break the NDA. 
  • What is puzzling is why the Aussies haven't walked away. And if they have, why it took them so long to do so. Logic would say, they are not far from the price agreement wise but haven't got the money. If they thought Roland was asking too much, why wouldn't they walk away sooner? There is a lot about all of this that doesn't make sense. Is there presence more helpful to Roland than us? I don't know. There seems to be more questions than answers.
    Totally agree.   Think the Aussies should have walked away months ago.   Ok they have spent a lot of money on DD   But at the end of the day nothing  I would have thought they knew Grotty teeth’s price before DD took place  
    as for the play offs scarf fiasco  they made themselves a joke 
  • What is puzzling is why the Aussies haven't walked away. And if they have, why it took them so long to do so. Logic would say, they are not far from the price agreement wise but haven't got the money. If they thought Roland was asking too much, why wouldn't they walk away sooner? There is a lot about all of this that doesn't make sense. Is there presence more helpful to Roland than us? I don't know. There seems to be more questions than answers.
    Totally agree.   Think the Aussies should have walked away months ago.   Ok they have spent a lot of money on DD   But at the end of the day nothing  I would have thought they knew Grotty teeth’s price before DD took place  
    Why should they have walked away? 

If their intention is to end up as owners, wouldn't it be better not to walk away?  And, if you agree with that, isn't the further inference that, as they haven't walked away, then they intend to end up as owners?  
    Maybe they should have walked away. But then they’d have lost, and in a twisted sort of a way, Roland would have won.
  • 1569, The first lottery in England is established to help pay for repairs to harbours & ports.
  • In 1569 Queen Elizabeth united the "white and brown" bread bakers to form the Worshipful Company of Bakers.
  • JamesSeed said:w
    What is puzzling is why the Aussies haven't walked away. And if they have, why it took them so long to do so. Logic would say, they are not far from the price agreement wise but haven't got the money. If they thought Roland was asking too much, why wouldn't they walk away sooner? There is a lot about all of this that doesn't make sense. Is there presence more helpful to Roland than us? I don't know. There seems to be more questions than answers.
    Maybe they should have walked away. But then they’d have lost, and in a twisted sort of a way, Roland would have won.
    Unless the Aussies buy us they have lost.
    Lost money 
    Lost credibility 
    What have they actually won.
  • Sponsored links:

• edited March 2019
    JamesSeed said:w
    Unless the Aussies buy us they have lost.
    Lost money 
    Lost credibility 
    What have they actually won.
    Clearly they haven’t bought the club, but it’s looking increasingly like that might have something to do with Roland?

Although i suspect another bidder will pop up out of nowhere and buy the club. 
  • A completed DD is a valuable commodity.

Muir can offer it to other groups as a way of speeding the process and getting membership of new groupings.

And he can share the cost with those newer bidders.
  • I can't imagine an NDA preventing say, Murphy announcing to the press, our valuation is £30m. The owner wants more.
    I would imagine the NDA would absolutely cover this sort of thing and Murphy would be leaving himself open to being sued.  If he was to become an owner in future I would hope he was a little more sensible than that
  • You don't spend £1m on DD that tells you the club is worth say £25m and then offer £35m.
    The DD money is a sunk cost, but effectively saves them (whoever 'they' are) from overpaying.
    Spend £1m to save wasting £10m? Bargain!

Muir can offer it to other groups as a way of speeding the process and getting membership of new groupings.

Murphy not Muir. 
  • and this is mine 
    2+2 = 5?
    He was linked with us 5yrs ago.. American. Banker. Experience of top flight football.

2+2+5?

Aussies were looking at American investors... Josh Harris being American.
    Has he put in a cheeky bid for Charlton.

I doubt it though.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2515257/Charlton-set-bought-American-sports-owner-Josh-Harris--CHARLES-SALE.html

Did he complete DD last time?

• Rudders22 said:
    and on a separate note.. look at Murray's comments when RD took over.. what a load of bollocks that was.... How the heck did Murray decipher thar Roland was good for us:-

"I look forward to using my long experience in English football to continue to represent the club that has been my passion for many years," Murray said.

"Charlton can benefit from Roland's experience in many different ways."

Outgoing chairman Michael Slater, who took control of the club along with Jimenez in early 2011, added: "In every important respect we leave the club in a far better state than when we took over three years ago.

"Now is the time to pass the baton to Roland, who has a proven track record of success in business and football.

"We believe we have found an investor with extensive knowledge of football who is well placed to stabilize the club in the Championship and help the club to develop on a sensible commercial basis."

What a couple of fing idiots!
  • Sponsored links:

You are not the first one to suggest here that a due diligence document can be traded, so I am not having a dig, but in my area of biz this would be a totally bizarre idea. Each buyer has its own idea of what is sufficiently "due". You could be thorough, like WPP, and take several months to go through a business with a smaller turnover than CAFC, or you could be like RD and rush through an entire sale in 4 weeks. There is no standard process for due diligence, even if generally it will explore the same areas. I'm trying to think of an analogy, and came dangerously close to a house purchase. But it isn't as uniform as a survey. It's what each buyer thinks is important to that buyer in assessing the viability of the business in relation to an agreed purchase price.
    Perhaps the problem is that Roland is asking £20m for the club, the freehold properties and the land; and another £50m to buy the fag packet DD he did in 2014. 
  • Positive news on this thread is a custom more honoured in the breach...
  • edited March 2019
    Scoham said:
    Kind of respect that to be fair - quite funny haha.

Not everyone is going to actually like Charlton, least of all Simon Jordan, but at least he's honest! Bit weird saying that but hey ho.

At least he doesn't pretend to like Charlton, like Richard Murray,  who is actively involved in running the club in to the ground!

Jordan doesn't like Charlton, says so, but also thinks we deserve better... respect!

*Finds bucket to be sick in*
    Actually Murray does like Charlton.....and very much too.
    Made some god awful blunders along the way and has now backed himself slowly but surely into an horrific corner.
    His heart is in the right place but sadly his head isn’t.
  • but not as much as he likes himself I suspect! 
  • edited March 2019
    Chizz said:
    I can't imagine an NDA preventing say, Murphy announcing to the press, our valuation is £30m. The owner wants more.
    What would be the benefit to Murphy of doing that?
    Force RD to justify his high price for a club he paid £14m for in a higher division, with crowds almost double what they are now? Possibly reduce his demands? I cannot believe an NDA could be worded to prevent such comments. 

DD not worth much to a subsequent party. 2nd party wouldn’t necessarily be asking all the same questions but more importantly there’s no chance the report writer would be liable to 2nd party for errors omissions or worse. Report worth 0 if writer can’t be sued. 
  • edited March 2019
    but not as much as he likes himself I suspect! 
    Who knows.....an easy thing to say about him.....or anyone who you don’t particularly like come to that.
    It’s a kind of throw away catch all put down that one can’t really prove one way or the other.
    Met him many times (mostly at Bromley Addicks) and I never had the impression that he loves himself.
    Sure, he’s a confident smooth operator, with an assertive character, as I’m sure many who have met him would agree......but to describe him as someone who loves himself is not something I would say about him.
    I’m sure he’s sick as a pig at what’s happening at the club and hates it all to the back teeth......especially as some of it is of his own making.
    I’d say it’s become a love hate scenario from which he can’t (at present anyway), extricate himself in such a way as to find peace of mind.
    Some people say why doesn’t he just walk away.....well I can think of 3.5 million reasons why he doesn’t.......indeed, would you?
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!