Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

The Takeover Thread - Duchatelet Finally Sells (Jan 2020)

Comments

• My view on Aussie Vs Brit is

I think the old Aussie package was shite but the new one with the new investment is probably a lot better and more likely in its current form , according to all the noises more likely to get over the line (not first but seems to have changed a bit ) which means there’s probably a lot more bunce and football know how involved with the deal , this has to be good for us long term and maybe could be the better solution of the two

The British one has me thinking and I can’t remember who said it but they are just as culpable as the old Aussie bid if they’ve been around for just as long why haven’t they completed are they just dicking around as well so many questions still unanswered on what is today the third time we have supposed to have had news

Roland.
    I don’t agree there had to be more to it

The old Aussie deal was not funded correctly (has no money) trust me I know that and it’s been proven because they never completed so it’s old hat

The new one we are led to believe has the money ( I believe that ) hence its now moving along again

The British one has to have had its own complex’s and complications it has to have had otherwise it would’ve completed in the time it took the aussies to get their shit together

Rolands a cnut we all know it we all know there’s blame to be attributed there

I don’t believe for 1 min and never did that the amount he wants is 50 mil

I was in a room where RM and others were when someone who was serious about bringing a consortium to the table and the number 50 mil was mentioned and all laughed to a man so it was not a serious figure but a conversation starting point

I reckon that all parties have agreed a fee between 30-40 mil

But he wants to sell and the price HAS been Agreed with both parties and had been agreed last year I don’t doubt that at all

So it’s not price and it’s not to be squared solely at the door of RD with any certainty so imo

Both bids have lacked something and had their own issues

Hopefully these are now nearly resolved and something can happen soon
    That all makes a lot of sense. I've always felt that the delays in the takeover process have been from both sides, especially with the complete silence from the Aussie side. If it had been Roland moving the goalposts or changing the price, I believe they would have said something (whether a statement or an off the record comment to the media) or even pulled out, after all we're not the only club up for sale and they could easily find another target if the issue was the price.
  • JamesSeed said:

Thought it was really vital to get this done in time to do business in the transfer window, but Bowyer and Gallen have done so well, I don't think it matters as much as I did.

By the summer, a large number of our prized players are out of contract.

I’d say it’s vitally important that takeover is complete this transfer window. Then it gives new owners between now and end of season to discuss and offer new contracts to those players.

With Roland in charge to the end of season, none of these players will be offered new contracts and high chance we will lose them.
    This. The takeover even of it goes quickly will happen too late to have much of an impact on thos window. But every other club will begin their planning for next season on Feb 1st. Now I know Bow and Gallen will be doing this but it would be much better to be doing it from a position with new owners willing to get our best players tied to long term contracts and start talking to realistic targets for PERMANENT signings for the summer.
    To what extent do you think Lee Bowyer - whose contract expires in June - will be spending time on planning next season, this season?
  • Chizz said:

JamesSeed said:

Thought it was really vital to get this done in time to do business in the transfer window, but Bowyer and Gallen have done so well, I don't think it matters as much as I did.

By the summer, a large number of our prized players are out of contract.

I’d say it’s vitally important that takeover is complete this transfer window. Then it gives new owners between now and end of season to discuss and offer new contracts to those players.

With Roland in charge to the end of season, none of these players will be offered new contracts and high chance we will lose them.
    This. The takeover even of it goes quickly will happen too late to have much of an impact on thos window. But every other club will begin their planning for next season on Feb 1st. Now I know Bow and Gallen will be doing this but it would be much better to be doing it from a position with new owners willing to get our best players tied to long term contracts and start talking to realistic targets for PERMANENT signings for the summer.
    To what extent do you think Lee Bowyer - whose contract expires in June - will be spending time on planning next season, this season?
    Precisely even more reason to get the takeover done. We need certainty at Every level. Every other club will be planning for next season already. We will be starting on the back foot if we don't.
  • Roland has sold the back foot to the Chiddingstone Causeway Spatulas Club
  • edited January 2019
    Davo55 said:

JamesSeed said:

Woah, steady on. It's been a decent window so far but new owners with new money could look to bring in 2 or 3 serious game changers that could make all the difference between the automatics and the lottery of a play off place.
    Agreed. Just can't see the takeover happening in time. Hope I'm wrong, especially as I've gone for Jan 17th on the sale date prediction thread.
  • If docs haven't even been given to the EFL yet, as @PragueAddick points out, a takeover this month is impossible.
  • Sponsored links:

• No way is any potential deal solely cash up front. I am certain there will be clauses dependent on promotion this season which is why we are currently signing not selling.

So if it doesn't complete in this window (probable), we'll have to wait till May and then we'll be back to this time last year.

Let's go round again one more time.

Love the AWB reference.
  • JamesSeed said:

It matters more in terms of retaining players. Now and ahead of the summer.
    This to me is the more worrying aspect of the continuing delay. The fact that so many players are out of contract & will be being tapped up from now until the summer. The longer we go on being in limbo the more players are likely to think "fuck this" & look elsewhere. Whoever it is that wants to buy us needs to get moving otherwise they will have a very big rebuilding plan come June.
  • No way is any potential deal solely cash up front. I am certain there will be clauses dependent on promotion this season which is why we are currently signing not selling.

So if it doesn't complete in this window (probable), we'll have to wait till May and then we'll be back to this time last year.

Let's go round again one more time.

Love the AWB reference.
    'Pick up the pieces' might be more apposite for the new owners.
  • At this rate , in 30 years more of Roland’s Charlton Athletic we will be (in Napa’s and Rolys crazy dead mind) valued more than Man Utd

The valuation is only one thing.. what is paid. Conjecture means nothing.

BTW, in 30-years ManU will be worth £40 billion.
  • The Aussies reaction so far to the British threat and Murray's men (wot he knows)
    1.jpg 44.7K
  • If takeover doesn't go through and we don't miraculously get promotion then who will want to be here next season?
  • If docs haven't even been given to the EFL yet, as @PragueAddick points out, a takeover this month is impossible.

Improbable but not impossible, it would be fewer people to check than before as half the job has been done.
  • If takeover doesn't go through and we don't miraculously get promotion then who will want to be here next season?

Insolvency consultants, debt collectors and scrap merchants.
  • Sponsored links:

Sarr and Pratley
  • edited January 2019

At this rate , in 30 years more of Roland’s Charlton Athletic we will be (in Napa’s and Rolys crazy dead mind) valued more than Man Utd

The valuation is only one thing.. what is paid. Conjecture means nothing.

BTW, in 30-years ManU will be worth £40 billion.
    That’s a bold prediction, I will bookmark this page.
    On the 12/01/2049, page 2326548, be prepared for an old man to pull you up on that statement.
    I myself don’t think a league 4 team will be worth that even taking into 30 years of a plummeting £.
  • IF the football assets are still here on February 1st: Taylor, Grant and Aribo, plus the new boys dovetail straight away, I wonder if a consortium could/would gamble and pay an inflated price because they feel a third tier club will be a championship club in a prime location come August.
    Business acumen and football are a strange mix because of wages taking up so much of the expenditure.
  • Scoham said:

If takeover doesn't go through and we don't miraculously get promotion then who will want to be here next season?

Sarr and Pratley
    You love a scapegoat......a totally predictable post coming from you.
    You never miss a chance to diss someone........it’s strange obsession fella?

• I think that whilst the price has been agreed, the Aussies have balked at the day to day costs that have become apparent. The only explanation for them still being in the picture is that Duchatelet has told them that the costs can be brought down and he is showing them. If it was anything else, surely they would have walked away.

The fact that they are still there suggests that if the price was to come down, it might be more attractive for them. They have to have a plan over a decent period and the numbers will have to add up. It isn't just about how much money you have, but how much money you are willing to commit to a project. The longer it goes on, the more money Duchatelet is losing, so if he could engage his business brain over his ego, and find some sanity he seems to have lost, he should surely see that bringing the price down to get the deal done will probably save him money in the long run, and will certainly rid him of what must be an irritation.

Instead of publishing a book of the entire takeover thread, I vote we publish a book of @MuttleyCAFC ‘s contributions. Always wrestling with the relevant issues, rarely angry, never too far from the mark.
    Vote Muttley!

Grapevine to write to Foreword.

• edited January 2019
    What doesn't make any sense is that there is a British bid that hasn't done anything. You can explain one party holding off, but not two. I think they may be a bit of dodgy play by Duchatelet to reel the Aussies in. The Aussies clearly want to do it and have decided on Charlton, but they need to have the money to fund what they want to do. I think that is a positive in relation to them. You have to cost your plan and the numbers have to add up. It isn't about your personal wealth.

In terms of players being out of contract, I don't think that is a big issue in football today. There will be players from other teams who are out of contract who may be better. The implication is cost though as bringing players in on a free costs money!
  • What doesn't make any sense is that there is a British bid that hasn't done anything. You can explain one party holding off, but not two.

There is 100% a 'British' bid for the Club, which has been accepted by Duchatalet.

I have no idea why they haven't advanced it to completion, hence the speculation that the bid has come from an owner of an existing Club, like Ashley. To be honest that seems more believable than what the Aussies have been doing for the last 18 months.

This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!