Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

The Takeover Thread - Duchatelet Finally Sells (Jan 2020)

Comments

• garfield said:

This Mike Ashley rumor has no foundation right? Is it purely based on the fact he is British man looking to sell one club?

He has seen how we have been with RD and Newcastle fans have give him some shit over his tenure so why would he bother with fans who take it either? Not saying we are problem because we have been wronged! But from his perspective are we worth the hassle?

We have NO idea who the brits are do we? All we have been told is that they are about but no clue who is involved.

Please tell me if I am wrong of course.

If & when the Newcastle sale goes through, my understanding is that he will look to purchase a club in the London area.
    Which one that is of course, is open to speculation, but the interest is there.
    Ashley from Newcastle to Charlton LOL.

Businessman of century if he sells 50k home shirts, 50k away kit and 50k 2nd strip at Charlton.

I could handle the yo-yo between Premier and Champ but why would he see CAFC as worthwhile ?

We just don't have the fans. Even 26k wouldn't interest him.
    Pure conjecture on your part.....Charlton are potentially a very very interesting challenge for anyone interested in the game of football.
    We are there for the taking for anyone who wants the already in place infrastructure and cudos to be back in The Prem.....anyone who thinks otherwise ain’t a true Addick in my eyes.....not saying that’s you soapy but maybe Ashley would relish the thought of a different kind of challenge, with the added bonus of being back on the London scene.
    Who knows.....you can’t read his mind any more than any of us can.
    I’d think his interest might be 50/50 at this stage and I wouldn’t mind betting he is at least watching the situation with some interest.

• garfield said:

A

garfield said:

This Mike Ashley rumor has no foundation right? Is it purely based on the fact he is British man looking to sell one club?

He has seen how we have been with RD and Newcastle fans have give him some shit over his tenure so why would he bother with fans who take it either? Not saying we are problem because we have been wronged! But from his perspective are we worth the hassle?

We have NO idea who the brits are do we? All we have been told is that they are about but no clue who is involved.

If & when the Newcastle sale goes through, my understanding is that he will look to purchase a club in the London area.
    Which one that is of course, is open to speculation, but the interest is there.
    And where does your understanding come from?
    A former member of the NUFC SMT, who is still close to Mike Ashley, for obvious reasons, I will not name him, however I have no reason to disbelieve him.
    Didn’t realise you were still on Tony Jimenez’s Christmas card list, Garfield...
    As I am sure you are @Airman Brown :)
  • Missed It said:

I don’t believe for one minute Ashley is intending to buy us.

So out of interest @ShootersHillGuru @Airman Brown @Bubble and anyone else convinced of the above, what’s your best guess on who ‘the Brits’ may be and do you suspect the non progression of that group is down to the same reasons as the Aussies or a different reason?
    Well I think it’s not going to be jaw dropping. I think Murray is fundamental to it. Perhaps not in terms of cash but certainly in drawing together the members and even perhaps having a significant role on the board. His CV looks good on inspection by anyone other than a Charlton supporter. I think to interested parties he’s got a lot of credibility. As to the make up then I havn’t a clue and I doubt there will be many names any of us would jump up and down about.

FWIW. I am coming round to the idea that the convoluted structure of ownership prior to RD might be an issue to completion and that theory might explain why neither of the Aussies or Brits have been able to make speedy progress. Seems a coincidence that two groups have been around for similar amounts of time without getting it done. LdT hinted that when the truth eventually comes out it will exonerate Roland over the sales process.

I know Jiminez, Slater and Cash were chancers but what the hell have they done to cause this much hold up and aggro?

If it's down to dodgy dealings by previous owners, Roland isn't totally off the hook on this. His slipshod 20 minute due diligence when he bought the club is why he has these problems now (whatever they are). He didn't even know about the previous director's loans for gawd's sake. Even I know about those and I'm just some random fan, not somebody forking out millions to buy a football club who should be paying attention to stuff like that.
    His eyes popped out of his head when he saw The Valley, training ground and academy for £18m, and he dived in like a greedy bastard.
  • edited January 2019

It's Mark Kleinman of Sky that's reporting the Kenyon and Newcastle link. Isn't he a Charlton fan? Would he know more on our situation?

Yes, long term fan.

Where is he reporting that link? @The Red Robin
  • I think all interested parties should bugger off! We are doing OK with RD.

OK calm down just joking.
    😀
  • Swisdom said:

Could today be the day.....

11 is my lucky number and it's the 11th today....

#f5

No
  • It's Mark Kleinman of Sky that's reporting the Kenyon and Newcastle link. Isn't he a Charlton fan? Would he know more on our situation?

Yes, long term fan.

https://news.sky.com/story/sky-sources-former-manchester-united-and-chelsea-chief-peter-kenyon-plots-newcastle-takeover-11512071
  • stonemuse said:

JamesSeed said:

JamesSeed said:

Is there any reason why the interested parties wont go a bit more public? Not by walking around the ground in scarves on match day, but just to release a small statement to say something along the lines of 'we're in the mix and we hope to complete soon'. At least the fans would know there is something going on

The scarves were just an honest expression of their enthusiasm for the project, (days from what they thought was the completion).
    Muir also wanted to meet Charlton fans and get a sense of the atmosphere. Obviously they won’t do that again until the sale if it happens.

If they released a statement saying ‘we're in the mix and we hope to complete soon' they’d be widely ridiculed, unfortunately.

Damned if they do, damned if they don’t really.
    You're very good at putting people into groups mate ain't you. Getting a few people behind you, ridiculing the 'opposition', then playing the victim when you get a bit back.

My question wasn't a dig at anyone in particular, it was just to ask if there was a genuine reason why all the parties, with RD's say so, can't each put out small official statements** just to say they are involved, no more than that.

** Official Statement - Via their legal teams and not by walking round the ground with scarves on. Which also goes for any other buyer who might do it prematurely, in the future.
    Ah but now you have done what you accuse @ShootersHillGuru of. What is wrong with @JamesSeed response there? Absolutely nothing, as far as I can see.

Maybe if you if you review how your post would have read by taking out the phrase Not by walking around the ground in scarves on match day
    you might realise that you are accusing others of that which you yourself are guilty.

In particular while I think James sometimes has made mistakes in his phrasing here (and who does not???) I think it is manifestly unfair to suggest he is "putting people into groups".
    I didn't accuse Shootie of anything, I asked if he though his question was a bit sharp in the first place. Re' JS's post, it depends what context you read it in and if you know that as soon as you write something on this thread in relation to the Aussies, it'll get quoted and twisted in few minutes.
    This is literally a forum for debate. The pro and anti Aussies seem pretty evenly matched, but there's no evidence that the pro Aussie mob are any worse than the anti Aussie mob. Personally I'd say it's the other way round, but then I'm biased.
    This isn't the plaice for vitriol, and I think you cod do batter ;-)
    To be honest, I believe there is only one group on this forum, 'pro Charlton'.

Everything else is opinion and debate. Most of us couldn't care less about pro or anti arguments - we just want the job to be done.
    The voice of sanity. Aussies/Brits - whoever, we all want the right outcome and are ALL in this together, aren't we?

• It's Mark Kleinman of Sky that's reporting the Kenyon and Newcastle link. Isn't he a Charlton fan? Would he know more on our situation?

Yes, long term fan.

https://news.sky.com/story/sky-sources-former-manchester-united-and-chelsea-chief-peter-kenyon-plots-newcastle-takeover-11512071
    Thanks, still struggling to see the link to us.
  • Sponsored links:

• Chizz said:

It's Mark Kleinman of Sky that's reporting the Kenyon and Newcastle link. Isn't he a Charlton fan? Would he know more on our situation?

Yes he is. No he wouldn't.
    I think if Mark wanted to he could find out a lot. He either knows and chooses not to say or he can't really be bothered with it all.
  • cabbles said:

JamesSeed said:

JamesSeed said:

Is there any reason why the interested parties wont go a bit more public? Not by walking around the ground in scarves on match day, but just to release a small statement to say something along the lines of 'we're in the mix and we hope to complete soon'. At least the fans would know there is something going on

The scarves were just an honest expression of their enthusiasm for the project, (days from what they thought was the completion).
    Muir also wanted to meet Charlton fans and get a sense of the atmosphere. Obviously they won’t do that again until the sale if it happens.

If they released a statement saying ‘we're in the mix and we hope to complete soon' they’d be widely ridiculed, unfortunately.

You're very good at putting people into groups mate ain't you. Getting a few people behind you, ridiculing the 'opposition', then playing the victim when you get a bit back.

My question wasn't a dig at anyone in particular, it was just to ask if there was a genuine reason why all the parties, with RD's say so, can't each put out small official statements** just to say they are involved, no more than that.

** Official Statement - Via their legal teams and not by walking round the ground with scarves on. Which also goes for any other buyer who might do it prematurely, in the future.
    What an extraordinary statement, particularly from a mod. How can you possibly extrapolate that from my comment above.

Firstly I didn’t say you were having a dig at all.

There have been comments above about the aggressive tone of some posts, and it’s worth bearing in mind that plain text can be read in different ways by different people depending on their mindset. But your post aimed at me can only be seen as aggressive mate.

Where have I put people into groups, and what groups are you referring to? Where have I ridiculed anybody? I was just giving my view of the scarf wearing, as have many others, but I don’t see you jumping down their throats.

One of the great things about CL is the way people use humour to diffuse situations. Perhaps you’ve misconstrued my attempts at humour as something else, I really don’t know. For example I said recently something like ‘does that get me off (or on?) the scapegoat list’. It was an attempt at humour, not trying to portray myself as a victim.

Of course people have a pop at each other here, but I don’t want to get involved.

I’m more than happy to get involved in an honest debate without malice, however.
    Assistant to the Mods, maybe
    Be careful, he flagged me for pointing out that mistake.
    Not true, it was for saying I was ‘slow’. Your post didn’t mention the fact that ibborg isn’t a mod.
  • addick05 said:

stonemuse said:

JamesSeed said:

JamesSeed said:

Ah but now you have done what you accuse @ShootersHillGuru of. What is wrong with @JamesSeed response there? Absolutely nothing, as far as I can see.

Maybe if you if you review how your post would have read by taking out the phrase Not by walking around the ground in scarves on match day
    you might realise that you are accusing others of that which you yourself are guilty.

In particular while I think James sometimes has made mistakes in his phrasing here (and who does not???) I think it is manifestly unfair to suggest he is "putting people into groups".
    I didn't accuse Shootie of anything, I asked if he though his question was a bit sharp in the first place. Re' JS's post, it depends what context you read it in and if you know that as soon as you write something on this thread in relation to the Aussies, it'll get quoted and twisted in few minutes.
    This is literally a forum for debate. The pro and anti Aussies seem pretty evenly matched, but there's no evidence that the pro Aussie mob are any worse than the anti Aussie mob. Personally I'd say it's the other way round, but then I'm biased.
    This isn't the plaice for vitriol, and I think you cod do batter ;-)
    To be honest, I believe there is only one group on this forum, 'pro Charlton'.

Everything else is opinion and debate. Most of us couldn't care less about pro or anti arguments - we just want the job to be done.
    The voice of sanity. Aussies/Brits - whoever, we all want the right outcome and are ALL in this together, aren't we?

Well said.

Yes, long term fan.

I didn't say there was a link to us, just that he if he's aware of what's going on with Newcastle, might he know more about Charlton but @Chizz says not.
  • Chizz said:

Yes he is. No he wouldn't.
    I think if Mark wanted to he could find out a lot. He either knows and chooses not to say or he can't really be bothered with it all.
    Mark Kleinman is a smart, diligent, excellent journalist, who interprets facts, opinions and rumours to provide a balanced and nuanced view of news as it pertains to businesses, corporations and the City. But I think even he would be challenged with the thought of trying to interpret what's going on in Roland's head.
  • JamesSeed said:

cabbles said:

JamesSeed said:

JamesSeed said:

What an extraordinary statement, particularly from a mod. How can you possibly extrapolate that from my comment above.

Firstly I didn’t say you were having a dig at all.

There have been comments above about the aggressive tone of some posts, and it’s worth bearing in mind that plain text can be read in different ways by different people depending on their mindset. But your post aimed at me can only be seen as aggressive mate.

Where have I put people into groups, and what groups are you referring to? Where have I ridiculed anybody? I was just giving my view of the scarf wearing, as have many others, but I don’t see you jumping down their throats.

One of the great things about CL is the way people use humour to diffuse situations. Perhaps you’ve misconstrued my attempts at humour as something else, I really don’t know. For example I said recently something like ‘does that get me off (or on?) the scapegoat list’. It was an attempt at humour, not trying to portray myself as a victim.

Of course people have a pop at each other here, but I don’t want to get involved.

I’m more than happy to get involved in an honest debate without malice, however.
    Assistant to the Mods, maybe
    Be careful, he flagged me for pointing out that mistake.
    Not true, it was for saying I was ‘slow’. Your post didn’t mention the fact that ibborg isn’t a mod.
    That was the joke you missed, speedy.

Yes, long term fan.

I didn't say there was a link to us, just that he if he's aware of what's going on with Newcastle, might he know more about Charlton but @Chizz says not.
    I thought you were referring to Charlton's takeover. I am sure Mark Kleinman knows a lot about what's going on at Newcastle, particularly with regards to Mike Ashley and Debenhams. I just don't think he would know a lot about what our idiotic owner is up to. And I only think that because, when I asked him if he knew what was going on, his reply was pretty clear: "I wish I did".

Yes, long term fan.

Yes, realised that. Badly worded by me.

Mark would be better placed to know something.

Then again I know @garfield and know he also has/had links within the football industry
  • If I were Roland, which thankfully I'm not, I'd probably string these Aussies along until the Newcastle sale went through and then sell up to Mike Ashley just to spite the Charlton fans.
  • Sponsored links:

• I keep coming back to what LDT said when I asked him about "Is the price the same for all the parties?"

He said it wasn't and depended on the structure of the deal.

So the offers on the table are different? (if we believe LDT and RD which I don't but for the sake of argument and to get the page count up let's do so for now).

Maybe greedy Roland gets more from the Aussies that the others and so favours them for that reason even if they haven't yet put their money down.

• I keep coming back to what LDT said when I asked him about "Is the price the same for all the parties?"

So the offers on the table are different? (if we believe LDT and RD which I don't but for the sake of argument and to get the page count up let's do so for now).

Maybe greedy Roland gets more from the Aussies that the others and so favours them for that reason even if they haven't yet put their money down.

If it's anything like player sales (i.e Konsa last year) we all know RD prefers cash upfront. Maybe one bid is less but he gets guaranteed money upfront and one bid is more but structured on theoretical achievements and/or scenarios.
  • edited January 2019

I keep coming back to what LDT said when I asked him about "Is the price the same for all the parties?"

From experience this is standard practice. When I sold my business there were three offers on the table. Offer 1: 100% payment and I walk away. Offer 2: 50% up front, 50% based on performance for a designated period after the deal. Offer 3: Part payment in cash and the balance made up of shares in the company purchasing us.

The group that purchased us bought another four companies from the same sector as ours making it five in total. I have since found out that out of the five companies purchased all five deals were different and no two were the same.
  • I can't reveal who but I have been told by someone I know who is well known to MA, our little club is a very attractive proposition, forget the size of our fan base or ground etc....... there's huge money to be made selling it on as a premiership club, we'd sell out each match such is the international interest now of the Premiership brand and our links to airports and motorways make it easier to attend games + of course the TV money, just do the maths. Whislt he is the the owner of another club he can not make a move.
  • This Mike Ashley rumor has no foundation right? Is it purely based on the fact he is British man looking to sell one club?

Ashley must be fully aware that his name is at the very least being strongly touted as a ‘possible’ future owner.
    One would have thought he would have come out and denied it by now were it not the case.
    That’s not to say I believe the rumour, one way or the other.

Would he? He's only being touted on a football forum.
    Maybe Jim White could ask him? Answer may or may not be definitive
  • I can't reveal who but I have been told by someone I know who is well known to MA, our little club is a very attractive proposition, forget the size of our fan base or ground etc....... there's huge money to be made selling it on as a premiership club, we'd sell out each match such is the international interest now of the Premiership brand and our links to airports and motorways make it easier to attend games + of course the TV money, just do the maths. Whislt he is the the owner of another club he can not make a move.

Same is true of Southend, Crawley, Luton, Uxbridge Town...
  • edited January 2019
    Wasn’t Duchâtelet taking lower bids for players for cash?
    Entirely possible he’ll take X for the club, but a lower price with future add ons for promotion etc.
    He clearly has never been in a hurry to sell. He probably enjoys making the Aussies and the Brits squirm.

[Edit: As I see others have said]
  • Pedro45 said:

J BLOCK said:

Expect Jim White to provide an update today

Hope so as post frequency has dropped and a statement should push us to page 1485 at least.

Go Jim
    Perhaps if we all add a Picasso picture (other painters available) to our post, or maybe just a few additional lines...

...then we'll get to the promised land of page 1500 a little bit quicker? We should all do anything we can to get rid of Roland!
    I'll have a go, even if no-ne else is playing.

• Personally, I don’t really care one jot who buys the club or what their intentions are with it. I just hope they don’t announce it on the official site :-)

and me
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!