Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Charlton v Scunthorpe - Post Match Views

Comments

• PaddyP17 said:

seth plum said:

I am sure Magennis was injured.
    I also thought Crofts was brought on at the time to prepare for when a fading Jacko would have to come off, but he survived the game, which allowed for two attacking players to be brought on late on.
    Robinson's substitutions suggested to me a manager who wanted to win the game.
    It was (to me) much more about the positive effect of the Scunthorpe substitutions than any negative effect of ours.

Bang on, imo. Hopper changed the focus of their attacks for them completely.

I think the two of us are in the minority here, which is fair enough, but Crofts coming on happening within minutes of Hopper coming on, and I think it was the latter that had MUCH more of an effect.
    No problem I would have backed my dad up and my son would back me up :wink: .
  • RedChaser said:

PaddyP17 said:

seth plum said:

I am sure Magennis was injured.
    I also thought Crofts was brought on at the time to prepare for when a fading Jacko would have to come off, but he survived the game, which allowed for two attacking players to be brought on late on.
    Robinson's substitutions suggested to me a manager who wanted to win the game.
    It was (to me) much more about the positive effect of the Scunthorpe substitutions than any negative effect of ours.

Bang on, imo. Hopper changed the focus of their attacks for them completely.

I think the two of us are in the minority here, which is fair enough, but Crofts coming on happening within minutes of Hopper coming on, and I think it was the latter that had MUCH more of an effect.
    No problem I would have backed my dad up and my son would back me up :wink: .
    Hahaha, when you're watching the game sat next to each other you're invariably going to share a few opinions on how it unfolded!
  • Great result, although not that much of a surprise to me - I thought we'd get something.

It doesn't change my view, I still think it would be a mistake to allow Robinson to spend our 2017/18 budget. I have no idea if we will have a change of ownership by the end of next season but I am convinced that Robinson won't be our manager by May 2018. The question, for me, is does he go before August or does he go in October? If it's the latter then we will have wasted another season.

In truth I don't think it makes much difference to me, I am not sure the current owners can do anything to tempt me to buy another season ticket. I'm also not sure they can do much to tempt me to make use of the one I currently have. I wasn't there last night and I'm not going on Saturday where a win would, as good as, secure us third division football next season - a statement I never thought I would say!

The one positive though is that the post match press conference that Robinson had almost none of the rubbish, clichés or excessive enthusiasm that was starting to wear way too thin. He still talked about playing for the shirt and how it was all for the fans, but he very nearly came across as a professional and an adult.
  • MrLargo said:

cabbles said:

MrLargo said:

Mind-numbingly boring for the majority. Loved seeing Jacko score but other than that it was just a slightly improved performance from a very mediocre side, against a very out of form side.

Probably safe from the drop now, barring another catastrophic run between now and the end of the season. That's hardly something to celebrate and we're still on course for one of the lowest finishes in our history, something I intend to point out to Katrien at Saturday's Q & A.

Dunno what the North Upper was like, but from where I was standing that looked like a sub 5k crowd to me, so well done to everyone who brought their invisible friend with them.

Mate I won't be at Saturday's game, and I'm sure you've got the right questions ready, but I would like any and all of these answered?

1. Why are you still here?

2. Have Charlton gone forwards or backwards since they took over? If she waffles, tell her it's a yes or no question

3. What makes them think they know what they're doing based on past performance?

4. What qualifies her for this role?

5. Who was responsible for the long contracts and money wasted on players like Sarr?

6. If we don't achieve promotion next season, would it be fair to say the job is beyond her and she offer her resignation?

Anything you've got similar would be great as well. I think it's an opportunity to be very forthright, take any emotion out of it and I would love to hear her answer these
    @cabbles

I would imagine that virtually all of the questions she gets asked will be similar in content and tone to what you've suggested. I've got a couple of my own questions prepared but certainly happy to put some of yours to her if they don't get covered by any of the other attendees.

Whilst I'm pleased to have the chance to put some questions to her about the shambles she's presided over, I'm also realistic enough to know that she won't provide any satisfactory answers, it won't change anything and I'll almost certainly feel even more angry after listening to her than I do now.
    Don't get too close to her Mr L, cabbles still get's well jell!!
  • Watching the highlights back it does look a nailed on penalty in the first half and I didnt realise what a good save Rudd made from the header.

Rudd was unlucky with their goal and Konsa deserves credit for his tackle that stopped an almost certain goal.

We did battle last night and Jacko led by example with Holmes running non stop.
  • Watching the highlights back it does look a nailed on penalty in the first half and I didnt realise what a good save Rudd made from the header.

Rudd was unlucky with their goal and Konsa deserves credit for his tackle that stopped an almost certain goal.

We did battle last night and Jacko led by example with Holmes running non stop.

KR mentioned Tex being fouled for their goal, and you can see when Rudd dropped it their scorer pushed Tex forward as he went to clear it
  • iamdan said:

I'd allow my wife to sleep with Johnnie Jackson.

Sorry, his leg(over)s have gone
  • I know it's an old subject, but the one thing we need to sort out this summer is our fitness and conditioning regime.

Apart from the number of injuries we're getting, many of our players are clearly not fit enough, to do well in this division you can't have players struggling after 80 minutes (or lumbering around like Watt)
  • Sponsored links:

• RedChaser said:
    Rudd unlucky with their goal and looked like Tex should have won two pens.

Impressive leap by Watt into the stand.

Good win, glad I was there to see it.
  • Definitely looked like a penalty for Tex
  • JamesSeed said:

Decent, high tempo game.

- If it's true that Slade wanted Dawson and Drieson said 'no'. Yesterday should have proved even more so that he doesn't have a clue.

Dawson was their best player in the 3-1
    Although I think he broke Ricky Holmes foot. Keep saying this, he's exactly the sort we need to bloster the midfield. And he's a leader. Getting on a bit though.

Surprisingly I agree 100% with you. Don't know how old he is now, but if he has a couple of seasons left in him, get him in, make him captain and build the team around him to get us up.

Best player on the pitch by a country mile last night!
  • Biggest disappointment for me was posting on 85 minutes 'we will score in 4 minutes' and Fat Tony hangs around and we score on 90, one minute late. The 'masicat always right' slogan is under threat as a result. However, earlier predictions that we will be promoted this season were just me having a laugh.
  • Essex_Al said:

JamesSeed said:

Decent, high tempo game.

- If it's true that Slade wanted Dawson and Drieson said 'no'. Yesterday should have proved even more so that he doesn't have a clue.

Although I think he broke Ricky Holmes foot. Keep saying this, he's exactly the sort we need to bloster the midfield. And he's a leader. Getting on a bit though.

Surprisingly I agree 100% with you. Don't know how old he is now, but if he has a couple of seasons left in him, get him in, make him captain and build the team around him to get us up.

Why surprisingly?
  • what really gets me and fucking irritates me is after every win we have to milk it, the charlton twitter, the last one against bolton i thought they were going to give kr the keys to the city

"whos got a spring in there step this morning"

we luckily beat a out of form scunthorpe side in front of an empty valley, kr has praised, slagged off called them lazy and dont care, then praised them again.

So, you'd rather we lost?
  • Major said:

Finally win when it helps Millwall - typical.

Unfortunately I feel completely meh about it - have nothing but negativity in me about it all at the moment.

And to hear that Watt celebrated his goal like we won the cup just pisses me off even more.

Maybe I'll feel better in the morning.

I see the "Trust" Board Bloke liked this statement. What a traitorous swine he is. And you wonder why the Club are a bit reticent to meet up and communicate.
    Traitorous? To whom exactly? You disappeared from this site soon after I offered to meet up with you for a beer before last night's game. Then you could have called me those things to my face. Why did you not take me up on the offer?
  • Just watched the hi-lights. Scunthorpe goal should never have stood. Blatant push in the build up. Amazingly I agree with Tarbuck on something.
  • Sponsored links:

• May not have been the best but a win can breed a bit of belief and confidence hopefully.
  • JamesSeed said:

Essex_Al said:

JamesSeed said:

Decent, high tempo game.

Why surprisingly?
    Because we don't seem to agree on anything else! :smile:
  • Quite an improvement on recent performances. Holmes never stopped running all night, I thought the young lads Aribo & Konsa were excellent. I was very surprised that Watt took the penalty & not Jacko, but glad he stuck it away.
  • RedChaser said:
    Rudd unlucky with their goal and looked like Tex should have won two pens.

Impressive leap by Watt into the stand.

Good win, glad I was there to see it.
    Just seen the highlights. The finish by Jacko: woof. @seth plum made the excellent point that there are few players who score so many important goals. I've at times criticized his work in open play, but nothing would warm my heart more if he had a bit of an Indian summer playing at the base of a diamond with two more energetic players either side of him.

Tex's volley that hit the bar: double woof.
  • MrLargo said:

cabbles said:

MrLargo said:

Mind-numbingly boring for the majority. Loved seeing Jacko score but other than that it was just a slightly improved performance from a very mediocre side, against a very out of form side.

Probably safe from the drop now, barring another catastrophic run between now and the end of the season. That's hardly something to celebrate and we're still on course for one of the lowest finishes in our history, something I intend to point out to Katrien at Saturday's Q & A.

Dunno what the North Upper was like, but from where I was standing that looked like a sub 5k crowd to me, so well done to everyone who brought their invisible friend with them.

Mate I won't be at Saturday's game, and I'm sure you've got the right questions ready, but I would like any and all of these answered?

1. Why are you still here?

2. Have Charlton gone forwards or backwards since they took over? If she waffles, tell her it's a yes or no question

3. What makes them think they know what they're doing based on past performance?

4. What qualifies her for this role?

5. Who was responsible for the long contracts and money wasted on players like Sarr?

6. If we don't achieve promotion next season, would it be fair to say the job is beyond her and she offer her resignation?

Anything you've got similar would be great as well. I think it's an opportunity to be very forthright, take any emotion out of it and I would love to hear her answer these
    @cabbles

I would imagine that virtually all of the questions she gets asked will be similar in content and tone to what you've suggested. I've got a couple of my own questions prepared but certainly happy to put some of yours to her if they don't get covered by any of the other attendees.

Whilst I'm pleased to have the chance to put some questions to her about the shambles she's presided over, I'm also realistic enough to know that she won't provide any satisfactory answers, it won't change anything and I'll almost certainly feel even more angry after listening to her than I do now.
    Def give us some feedback. I'm keen to hear what nothing statements she comes out with
  • Is it me or do We seem to hit the bar or post every week?
  • 1StevieG said:

Is it me or do We seem to hit the bar or post every week?

Karl said we are getting ready for the boys to make an appearance on soccer AM next month