Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Charlton v Scunthorpe - Post Match Views

Comments

• I was at this one.

First half we looked ok. Holmes ran his socks off in midfield which made it all the more baffling why KR decided to push him up top when Mcginnis went off injured. After that we were in all sorts of trouble. Big let off when Scunny hit the post with a header from 2 yards out. Didn't look like we were going to score 2nd half so big surprise when we were awarded a pen a couple of minutes from time. Thought Jacko would take it but fair play to Watt. Good pen. KR went mental on the touchline when we scored the winner. Must be relieved he gets to keep his job another week at least.

We look like a poor team short on confidence. Scunny were pretty awful too. Can't beleive they are third in the league. Shows you what a mediocre division it is.
  • Weird that we play better against better teams but it's hardly a new phenomenon. Feels a decent bit less like we're going down after that which is a relief as we looked in freefall.

Teixeira really is a danger in the opposition box isn't he

Scunthorpe now have no wins in 8 matches, with only 3 draws. In terms of form, they're probably the easiest opponent we've played recently
    Well, we needed an easy match. So thanks Scunny for being in worse form than us tonight. Their fans must be feeling sick and shocked by their team's sudden loss of form after riding so high at the top of the league.
    I think they'll scrape into the playoffs, but automatic is looking very unlikely
  • Davo55 said:

The rehearsal of his leaving speech?
    Davo55 said:

The rehearsal of his leaving speech?
    Probably a welcome change from his voice - but to be fair it worked!
  • Deserved it over the 90.

Scunthorpe were useless for 60 minutes.

Holmes outstanding.
  • se9addick said:

Think the result takes away from another poor performance.
    Granted we had more heart and fight. But without 2 set pieces we wouldn't have scored in a month!
    Rode our luck at times especially when they hit the post.
    All that tonight has shown is that there is a team out there lower on confidence than ourselves!

I think "poor" is a bit harsh, it wasn't vintage but it was much better than Saturday. I'm going to be unpopular and give Robinson some credit because the team looked more solid and structured than usual. Not sure about Holmes playing that role and bringing Crofts on instead of Watt was weird.
    OK poor was a bit harsh.
    We did look solid defensively and Konsa had a good game.
    But offensively it was bad. How many saves did their keeper make?
    How many chances did we actually create from open play?
  • Hearing that Ulvestad was decent tonight.
  • Sponsored links:

• First half we looked ok. Holmes ran his socks off in midfield which made it all the more baffling why KR decided to push him up top when Mcginnis went off injured.

Not digging you out at all, but I swear Holmes was playing through the middle lots this game even in the first half.
  • Macronate said:

Hearing that Ulvestad was decent tonight.

Faded, but yes
  • bellz2002 said:

Taken when players came out just before kickoff. For those who want to see what attendance was like.

Everybody was still behind the stands having an extra pint at that point because they told us the kick off had been delayed and somehow the players managed to come out and start the game without it being announced
  • First half we looked ok. Holmes ran his socks off in midfield which made it all the more baffling why KR decided to push him up top when Mcginnis went off injured.

Not digging you out at all, but I swear Holmes was playing through the middle lots this game even in the first half.
    Looks like Holmes had a free role but he was definitely doing a lot of midfield work that we lost went he went up top

Looks like Holmes had a free role but he was definitely doing a lot of midfield work that we lost went he went up top
    This
  • Comfortable until the bizarre substitution - didnt really deserve to win. Scunthorpe as bad as Charlton.
    Not really sure Knobinson has a clue what he's doing.
  • Wholly unconvincing going forward but we nicked the points - credit to Watt for having the guts to convert so confidently.

Not much to say really - we played 4-3-1-2 with Holmes in the hole which doesn't look natural but his workrate hides some deficiencies.

Scunny understandably looked short of confidence but threatened to take us apart in the second half. Wish we had midfielders like Crooks and Dawson at this level.

Texeira and Konsa impressed; Magennis put in his usual shift until injured; Ulvestad looks the part at times.

Season over I guess....
  • Sponsored links:

• bellz2002 said:

Taken when players came out just before kickoff. For those who want to see what attendance was like.

Everybody was still behind the stands having an extra pint at that point because they told us the kick off had been delayed and somehow the players managed to come out and start the game without it being announced
    Well it was a couple of minutes to 8pm so I'm assuming everyone knows how to tell the time.

Indeed, being the first Charlton game I've seen in a while was just surprised to see Holmes being the person furthest up the pitch and in the centre.
  • edited March 2017
    Robinson almost fucked it right up with his substitutions. Magennis was not having much influence but with Holmes running around like deranged pitbull terrrier and JJ playing out of his skin we were doing alright. We were getting turned over once Crofts came on and once again it was just a matter of not if but when they equalized. It it wasn't for Konsa or Rudds interventions we would have been on the end of another defeat. Yeah we won but it did not feel like it.
  • Charlton players step up, put in a shedload of awesome tackles, holmes does a remarkable impression of the Duracell bunny, Jackson in the frame as most promising youngster with the shift he puts in and scores a goal as well. 'Fans' rubbish Scunthorpe as reason charlton win.
  • First half I thought we looked decent. Second half I thought we looked awful.

Tony Watt looked fat, but fair play for stepping up and taking that peno

That just about sums it up. Scunthorpe were awful for about an hour and then started ripping our defence apart. The penalty was against the run of play. We got lucky.
  • can we put comments for people who went in bold please.. ;)
  • still seems overcomplicated and not a straightforward 442 if its that, this is League 1 not the World Cup. Won in spite of our dire manager, and help from a fair bit of luck for a change which stopped them scoring more.