Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Charlton v Scunthorpe - Post Match Views

Comments

• Well thank f*ck for that.

First half reasonably decent. Jacko yet again proved his worth.

Second half they began to impose themselves. We seemed to be open down the right. Their goal was coming. After than it looked like there would be only one winner and they weren't playing in red.

Even with Watt coming on we really weren't creating. The penalty was unexpected. Watt took it well. I thought for once with only 4 mins of stoppage time we might hang on - and we did fairly comfortably.

The players did play for the shirt - that made a change.
  • 9088? Thought it was about 6000 at best.

Decent ensemble performance. Team were up for it. Didn't rate Scunthorpe too much - lots of niggling fouls and unprofessional stuff. Well drilled but limited.

Brings into relief how the season could have gone - on 58 points and confident of the play offs.
  • edited March 2017

9088? Thought it was about 6000 at best.

Decent ensemble performance. Team were up for it. Didn't rate Scunthorpe too much - lots of niggling fouls and unprofessional stuff. Well drilled but limited.

Brings into relief how the season could have gone - on 58 points and confident of the play offs.

Oxford was about 6,800 - they brought 400 more than Scunny - so 6,400 is the start point. I would say the home turnout was clearly down on Oxford too. Actual attendance was probably 5,000 and something.

The home crowd made good noise despite that.
  • Played well until Magennis went off without really testing their keeper, then we were overrun in midfield. Would have kept Aribo where he was instead of moving him to the right.

Nice ti see a win and it eases relegation fears. Worry over KR tactics continues
  • 1st time in a long while we got lucky - if the shot that hit the post had gone in then we would have lost, but maybe our luck has turned - it stayed out & 10 mins later we get a last minute penalty & with Holmes off the pitch it was up to TWWW to bury it & win us the points.

All this despite KR making some weird subs. Big Josh had to go off (not sure what he injured 'cos he left the field without looking in any discomfort) and KR put on Crofts instead of KAG. From this point onwards we lost all semblance of shape & purpose - Holmes & TWWW as a front paring is not the way forward. Their manager then shows KR how it should be done & it was all Scunny from then on & only some great last ditch tackles kept us in it.

Another win & a couple of draws should see us safe & another season in this division.

• We did lose cohesion after the substitution of Magennis, but let's make no bones about it, for the last 15 minutes we were playing with 10 men. (Or Scunthorpe were playing with 12!) Ulvestad was not only out on his feet, but was remarkable in finding any 10 square yards of empty grass to mark, rather than an opposition player. It also had the effect of making Byrne, who'd had a better than average game, have all sorts of problems, not knowing whether to stick or twist...

MOTM? No question. The Skipper rolled back the years, scored a peach of a goal, (which he celebrated like a 5 year old on Christmas morning) and ABSOLUTELY lead by example. Won a number of hugely important defensive headers, broke up attacks, and drove the team on.

A special mention for Konsa, who made a couple of really top class tackles...
  • Gotta give the manager job to JJ ! Leads by example
  • Just like Fleetwood Robinson makes a crass substitution and this time nearly blows the game. With two teams in very poor form this was not a spectacle of any note. We had more energy than recent home games helped by Chicksen and Ulvestad and the usual Holmes but no one was outstanding. Novak a lump and what has happened to Magennis? That manager has not deserved his red and white army yet. I can't wait to hear his bullshit post match comments. Great to win though and the noise from the tiny crowd was brilliant after the final whistle. Relief.
  • Sponsored links:

• Is mid-table mediocrity in League 1 within our reach?
  • Not sure how anyone can say it was mind numbingly boring.

It was a very good spectacle for the neutral.

Obviously, they have not been to many matches lately...
  • Scunthorpe were poor. The substitution of crofts for magennis was poor. But other than that we were given the talismanic impact of the legend that is johnnie Jackson. Pleased for Watt....always knew it was going in. Why robinson thought bringing an out of form crofts to replace a striker was a good idea is beyond me as it nearly cost us 3 points. And as for Lee Novak ...well we were cheering the bits he did well... a bit like parents do to a small child.....you know just to give him confidence. But absolutely delighted with the win.
  • Having been to the last few away games and of course all the home games this season, it was great to get a result...cant say much for the last 15 minutes as i bloody had to leave to get back to hampshire and go to work thanks to the bloody security issue at london bridge.

For the first 45 i thought we were great, best i have seen for a long time, game changer of course was Magennis going off, and the subs, sit back and the inevitable happened.

Lets start again on Saturday.
  • Not necessarily. I could've sworn I've seen him post since then, but he may have been modded for being an arse.
  • Major said:

Finally win when it helps Millwall - typical.

Unfortunately I feel completely meh about it - have nothing but negativity in me about it all at the moment.

And to hear that Watt celebrated his goal like we won the cup just pisses me off even more.

Maybe I'll feel better in the morning.

I see the "Trust" Board Bloke liked this statement. What a traitorous swine he is. And you wonder why the Club are a bit reticent to meet up and communicate.
  • Sponsored links:

• Stalker alert ....
    I mean a traitor for having feelings about our pathetic joke of an experiment club that I'm 100% certain no one wants to have.
    The lucky ones are the cuckoo land ones who are happy to ignore our worse position in 40 odd years and the inept running of our club that has led to the smallest crowds at The Valley in 32 years .

• I don't get this Robbo got lucky bit. I think he has been very unlucky since he has been here. Last night looked if it was going the same way when we hit the woodwork yet again and had a stonewall penalty not given.

Bringing on Crofts made sense to me at the time. They were targeting Byrne with long high balls from the start and I thought he did very well. Second half they were packing that side and had clearly decided that was our weak area in training. The mistake was in not putting Crofts with fresh legs over that side IMO.

Watt was embarrassing. Outpaced by a centre half that had played 80 minutes by a good few yards. Hopefully scoring a good penalty will help, but I doubt it.

I also thought Aribo was very good. We should start building a team around him and Konsa. If Roland would do one a dream team of SCP and Jason managing them.

Well, we can all dream.
  • edited March 2017
    Delighted that we won. It sounded like scunny were the perfect team to be playing at the moment.

Subs bench looked very weak yesterday. I wouldn't be surprised If we see KAG play a lot more until the end of the season.

Delighted Jonny scored. We can always count of the skipper.

Cannot wait for this pathetic season to be over to here promises of promotion challenges once again come May.

• Safety pretty much assured, time to get the champagne out!
  • Great feeling to leave a match with 3 points. Deserved the win over the 90 minutes, but had to ride our luck after the wrong player was brought on.
  • bellz2002 said:

First half we were comfortable and looking good. Scunthorpe didn't offer any threat. Second half fine until Magennis was injured and Robbo replaced him with a midfielder. Then it all went to pot and we were lucky to stay in it. Glad we got a penalty and sneaked a win. Got away with it in my view.

Scunthorpe though did look poor. Their goal after a mistake by Rudd. You can tell Jacko has the passion after his goal celebration. Watt loves being loved. Finally a winning feeling on a Tuesday night at home means getting up at 5.30am won't feel quite so bad!

This says all I was going to say. Well except perhaps that I felt Jacko provided the leadership the team has been missing (and he played pretty well to boot). Plenty of talking, encouragement and how he's still got the legs to do 90 minutes of that pressing is beyond me. Captain's performance.

The team, with the notable exception of the fresh legged Tony Watt, worked their socks off. Scunny were poor though, so poor.

Lowest crowd I can remember at the Valley since our return though. Would be amazed if there was more than 5000 people in there.
  • Should add Konsa was massive tonight. Two tackles in the second half that reminded me of Rufus.
  • Was it our first double of the season?
  • Nug said:

Major said:

Finally win when it helps Millwall - typical.

Unfortunately I feel completely meh about it - have nothing but negativity in me about it all at the moment.

And to hear that Watt celebrated his goal like we won the cup just pisses me off even more.

Maybe I'll feel better in the morning.

I see the "Trust" Board Bloke liked this statement. What a traitorous swine he is. And you wonder why the Club are a bit reticent to meet up and communicate.
    Don't the trust have a meeting this week? Nice to see you back Major, what happened for the whole of February where were you?

Essex_Al should be along shortly.
    Never been away mate! (posting in bold because I was there last night supporting my team)!

Haven't posted much recently so that you could enjoy your European tour in peace, how was the little walk around the back streets and local car park?