Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Charlton v Scunthorpe - Post Match Views

Comments

• I guess the formation worked as we won but complete lack of width - two strikers strong in the air but no crosses.
  • Mind-numbingly boring for the majority. Loved seeing Jacko score but other than that it was just a slightly improved performance from a very mediocre side, against a very out of form side.

Probably safe from the drop now, barring another catastrophic run between now and the end of the season. That's hardly something to celebrate and we're still on course for one of the lowest finishes in our history, something I intend to point out to Katrien at Saturday's Q & A.

Dunno what the North Upper was like, but from where I was standing that looked like a sub 5k crowd to me, so well done to everyone who brought their invisible friend with them.
  • edited March 2017
    Everyone on here can see what the problem was yet that stupid twat Robinson can't. And he is getting paid to stand their acting like a manager do me favour.
  • So this was the only reason we won...his bloody motivational video! Begs the question why he didn't bother playing his "eye of the tiger" video in February. Obviously stumbled across it on YouTube whilst scouting for new players.

Great results lads, we desperately needed that. Relegation safe now but a few more points will confirm it (too greedy?)
  • Konsa made several excellent last ditch challenges. Potentially man of the match for me
  • Sponsored links:

• Much better performance tonight,I thought Ulvestad had a good game in the middle.Bryne and Chicksen were decent,and offered pace and energy.Konsa and Tex were excellent in defense.JJ is the leader and organiser we were sorely lacking.Aribo showed some nice touches,and Holmes gives a lot of commitment and some quality.Bit toothless upfront though,I thought Mag and Novak were playing too wide,leaving no-one in the centre forward position at times. Definitely a pen,and at least we now know that, Tony Watt's the point, can kick a ball straight from 12 yards. Now we can listen to that mad windbag blustering on about commitment and mentality,and how proud he is to be at such a great club like Charlton.
  • edited March 2017
    kafka said:
    Doh. This is what happens when i read the thread late, think you are being funny then see you were so late to the party.
  • A minute after kick offimage
  • Decent first half. Hard work pays dividends.

Second half, seem to run out of steam, and Scunnie got their rhythm.

Stonewall pen, Tex so dangerous at set plays.

Ajose been back for a week now, and was in stands in a tracksuit...was he injured at Swindon?
  • Good result, pleased Jackson got on the score sheet.

This will hopefully give us enough confidence to get the final few points we need to stay in the third tier, exciting times!
  • Pleased for JJ as he is Mr Charlton right now. Also pleased for TWWW as he is a confidence player and needs the fans to love him. More effort that results in more goals and he can have all the adulation he desires. Karl has some mileage to cover before he wins over the dwindling crowds akin to a huddle in each stand. The sad thing about the crowds is it is so hard to create atmosphere when the fans are so sparsely spread out. Better to shut two stands and put those left behind the goal.

A win is a win for me. Happy tonight, but it still isn't giving me that feeling I used to get that made me want to invite the missus for an early night ;-)

• Thought Knobinson or Stan Boardman, might be a good manager for us & still hope he will, but his subs and bleedin idiotic formations are a complete joke, did we not practice what if's i.e. should Maginess or Novak have to go off what we do next, well it happened and Maginess went off injured thereafter panic throughout, this to me smacks of a lazy pre match set up and lack of fundamental tactical organisation.
  • Sponsored links:

• Comfortable until the bizarre substitution - didnt really deserve to win. Scunthorpe as bad as Charlton.
    Not really sure Knobinson has a clue what he's doing.

You were pleased, that we won then!,
  • Not sure how anyone can say it was mind numbingly boring.

It was a very good spectacle for the neutral.
  • edited March 2017

Not sure how anyone can say it was mind numbingly boring.

It was a very good spectacle for the neutral.

I went with twork neutrals, who had a great time.

On the other hand, as a Charlton fan, the second half made me want to burn my face off on acid.
  • Fantastic to have a win at last. Without wanting to put too much of a downer on it but we looked so disjointed especially in the midfield. Maginess on the wing in spells. Novak on the wing, Holmes as the main striker. There is so much that needs to be done in the summer however I just can't see it.
  • Konsa made several excellent last ditch challenges. Potentially man of the match for me

I thought he did well tonight. A couple of tackles he made reminded me of Richard Rufus.

He'll be sold in the summer I guess.
  • edited March 2017
    Enjoyable listen. It sounded like we were much, much, much better than we've been of late. Credit to the side for finding a winner when incredibly low on confidence, having conceded a goal and having their (arguably) best center forward go off with injury and having to change shape. Also credit where it's due to Robinson for finding a shape that seemingly accomodated JJ, Aribo, and Ulvestad well, and it sounded like they nullified Scunthorpe.

Nice for Tony Watt to score. Potentially hist last Charlton goal, but nice that it was a winner. Will hopefully help leave a slightly better taste in the mouth.

Also worth noting, in the interest of fairness, that tonight we had out injured: Bauer, Pearce, Lennon, Johnson, Solly, JFC, Botaka, Mavididi. Before the match on CAFCPlayer there was talk of our squad being too small, but having eight first team, senior players out would really stretch any League One team. Now whether or not there's enough quality and consistency is another matter.
  • PaddyP17 said:

Righto. Bullet points.

Team performance - first half

- We looked MUCH more positive than I've seen in a long long time. We played very well, make no mistake. Half of that was in stopping Scunthorpe playing football themselves - we had men closing down the ball at every opportunity, and generally stifled them.
    - We attacked with urgency, and players looked like they trusted each other and - importantly - themselves to take men on/control the ball and find a pass. The increase in tempo was very refreshing. More please.
    - Scunthorpe didn't look good, but I think that genuinely was mainly down to us spoiling their play.
    - Tactically there was a lot of interesting stuff. At one point - and call me crazy - we had a 4-6-0 formation (a la Spain 2010-2012) going on. Not that it was anything like their style of play, but Magennis and Novak were out wide, with Holmes as a withdrawn/false 9 in the centre; Jacko as a holding mid; and Ulvestad/Aribo as CMs who shuttled out wide when necessary. It worked to unsettle them.
    - At other times we played with one of Magennis/Novak in the middle, so our front three was really quite flexible. They seemed to be pulled out of shape defensively.
    - We deserved the lead. Good goal by Jacko - great movement and finish.

Team performance - second half

- So I'd thought about 20 minutes into the game that we wouldn't be able to sustain our high-tempo press for long. I was right. We started to visibly tire quite early.
    - Scunthorpe looked a different side as soon as they brought on Tom Hopper (and immediately after we brought on Crofts, which I thought was a good change - he put in a shift). Their attacks increased in positivity tenfold, and they really deserved a goal. Not in the manner it came (bit of good fortune), but they looked much better in the build-up to their goal.
    - Our body language dropped - but not quite as much as I thought. We lost some confidence and cohesion in response to how they were playing.
    - We tired, especially Holmes. He looked knackered.
    - Was definitely a penalty, no doubt about it.

Individual players

- Rudd played well. Quick with his distribution and positive - short, to players in space - he also commanded and communicated with his defence much more effectively than when I last wrote some post-match views. IMO very unlucky to slip and concede how he did - made two good saves at least, as well.
    - Byrne played much better than I thought he ever would, as I saw him as a winger deployed at right-back purely for pace. He cut out two threatening-looking passes; had some nous; used his pace wisely; and was positive in attack and defence.
    - Tex looked a different man. Communicative; positive; commanding. A couple of technical errors, but nothing of consequence, and he could've scored and should've won another penalty in addition to the one given. Played very well.
    - Konsa was even better. He put in one absolute nailed-on goal-saving tackle on Tom Hopper, and a second when they had a man breaking late on. Paced himself well, and was good on and off the ball. Maybe one or two poorish headers? But nothing that led to anything. Personally, my MOTM.
    - Chicksen put in a shift. Tried hard, but is unfortunately a limited player. Better than Page though, and I really really like his attitude. Had a couple of good moments going forward.
    - Jacko seemed to galvanise us as a whole. Was the change in attitude his doing? Maybe. I'd like to think so (but never would I claim it so). Took his goal well, and did well to nullify Duane Holmes for much of the game. Got tired, though, and patently doesn't have the legs. But that doesn't matter at all.
    - Aribo is class. Put in a couple of awesome challenges to start attacks, keeps the ball well, technically gifted, has a subtle array of skills you didn't know he had until he'd used them. Class.
    - Ulvestad had a decent game. Maybe shirked a couple of challenges, but made up for them with the fouls he bought. Definitely one of the more noticeable faders, though, and you can tell he's not had much game time lately.
    - Holmes works so so hard - probably harder than any other player on the pitc.h. Maybe didn't quite have the rub of the green in getting past defenders, but they were wise to him. He did well to keep them thinking and find passes/gaps where possible.
    - Magennis, again worked very hard until his thigh niggle. Strange seeing him out wide, but it did work - he loves to run at players just as he loves to aerially battle them. I reckon defenders hate him. Love his attitude, too.
    - Novak played honestly and with guile. Okay, he's not overly technically gifted, but he did well in holding the ball up and linking with the other players.

***Subs***

- KAG wasn't really on long enough.
    - Crofts put in a shift IMO, with one cruncher of a challenge that turned their attack into our break. Again, not overly technically gifted, but played to his strengths as best he could, and it mainly worked.
    - Watt is a lazy, selfish prick who needs to lose weight. He was getting outpaced by Murray Wallace for Christ's sake, who'd played the whole game. Scores a pen and celebrates like we win the Champions League - no thanks. He did NOTHING other than that, and didn't keep the ball in attack nearly long enough for our defence to have a breather when Scunny were gunning for it.

In summary

A good performance first half; dip second; and a much-needed win. We looked like a different side first half, though we tired and after the equaliser we seemed to start to slack off mentally. I think that late winner might prove to be a mini-upturn, though.

Fantastic summary. Absolutely spot on.
  • First 60 minutes I thought that we played With intensity and desire even if we didn't create too many clear cut chances. The substitution seemed to signal a slow down of our pressing and they started to play. The equaliser looked like it was only a matter of time coming and once it did I thought they were the more likely to go on and win it. Amazed that they gifted us the chance to claim all the points and well done to TW for a good penalty. The team deserved a result overall I thought, but fine margins are dictating our results at present.