Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

CARD ANNOUNCEMENT: Unity Protest in Sint-Truiden on Saturday, March 4th - transport provided

Comments

• Options
    edited March 2017
    seth plum said:

I've just remembered how much I hate travelling across sea. I've been on various boats and ships and have never actually been sick but am paralysed by fear. Ex-husband no. 2 liked to sail and had to set up his boat to sail singlehanded as I was completely useless. We once crossed the channel in a pretty flat sea but I spent all 14 hours inside the bunk - I didn't even leave the bunk to go to the loo but held on. So it has just struck me that we will be travelling by ferry on Saturday. Bugger. If you see a very anxious person on the deck looking at the horizon (I understand that's meant to help) - it's me. Please come and say hello.

It is only about an hour, and these ferries are so huge these days it is more like continental drift.
    You can wander the lounges and suchlike to get a distraction.
    I don't expect you will have trouble, anyway I am relying on you to help with my banners.
    :smile:
    You sure? When I served in Germany many years back had quite a few 'iffy' crossings on the old Townsend Thoresen Ferry. Remember on one occasion, coming out of Zeebrugge, ferrying past an upturned Herald of Free Enterprise.
  • Options

seth plum said:

I've just remembered how much I hate travelling across sea. I've been on various boats and ships and have never actually been sick but am paralysed by fear. Ex-husband no. 2 liked to sail and had to set up his boat to sail singlehanded as I was completely useless. We once crossed the channel in a pretty flat sea but I spent all 14 hours inside the bunk - I didn't even leave the bunk to go to the loo but held on. So it has just struck me that we will be travelling by ferry on Saturday. Bugger. If you see a very anxious person on the deck looking at the horizon (I understand that's meant to help) - it's me. Please come and say hello.

It is only about an hour, and these ferries are so huge these days it is more like continental drift.
    I don't expect you will have trouble, anyway I am relying on you to help with my banners.
    You sure? When I served in Germany many years back had quite a few 'iffy' crossings on the old Townsend Thoresen Ferry. Remember on one occasion, coming out of Zeebrugge, ferrying past an upturned Herald of Free Enterprise.
    Not sure that is quite what ArseneTatters wanted to read...

My Mum never liked the tunnel. In vain I tried to point out to her that she had been underground a similar time on the Tube many times in the past.

The fact is that all forms of mass transport are much safer than they were 30 years ago, but it doesn't stop individuals worrying about them.
  • Options
    LouisMend said:

LouisMend said:

Another shot in the dark...

If anybody is driving from the Beckenham area (or nearby) to Charlton for the coaches then I would be really grateful for the lift!

The bus driver doing the 54 route is.
    Got his number?
    54-46 was my number
  • Options

seth plum said:

My Mum never liked the tunnel. In vain I tried to point out to her that she had been underground a similar time on the Tube many times in the past.

The fact is that all forms of mass transport are much safer than they were 30 years ago, but it doesn't stop individuals worrying about them.
    Just seen the weather forecast showing gales in the channel and now @bazjonster's post. Do those wristband things work? Although probably no point as it's not seasick just fear. Oh god.
  • Options
    Forecast is filth it's gonna piss down
  • Options

seth plum said:

Just seen the weather forecast showing gales in the channel and now @bazjonster's post. Do those wristband things work? Although probably no point as it's not seasick just fear. Oh god.
    Half a bottle of scotch should solve the fear
  • Options

Wouldn't have it any other way
  • Options
    edited March 2017
    The crossing on channel ferries today are so much smoother , but I know your'e in that awful situation where the fear of the journey is as much of a problem as the actual journey itself. Just addressing motion sickness; ginger helps some people. Health food stores have it in various forms or just try ginger biscuits. We'll get you there, come what may!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Yes, that's what my app says too. However I often find that the weather system passes through earlier than the forecast 48 hours or more ahead, predicted. I'll stick my neck out and predict that it will have stopped by the time we get to 18.00.

• Options
    @oohaahmortimer

You are using the Norwegian app. They are pessimistic ******s. I'm using Weatherpro. Rational German app.

Let's see...

:-)
  • Options

Meanwhile in his bunker:

http://www.captiongenerator.com/383832/Duchatelet

You might have to select the English subtitles to understand.

This is classic!
  • Options

Another shot in the dark...

If anybody is driving from the Beckenham area (or nearby) to Charlton for the coaches then I would be really grateful for the lift!

@Addickted2TheReds pm me if still needed.
  • Options
    has anyone taken out travel insurance or are you relying on your EHIC card?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited March 2017

I always used to get sick on ferries. Unfortunately, I found this out on my 1st trip from Dover to Oostende, felt sick before we left the harbour and spent the next few hours being sick. Came back from France once and threw up over the side of the boat but was on the wrong side and the wind blew it all back in my face.

Don't have a problem at all now though.
  • Options

I'm relying on my EHIC card.
  • Options

I'm relying on my EHIC card.
    Me too. As I do every time I visit the UK, since despite paying NHI for 35,years, I no longer qualify for NHS cover.

The only reason I bother with travel insurance in the EU is for cancellation or luggage loss cover, and I always use the cover provided with my debit card. One off travel insurance is a massive racket.

• Options

We're coming for you
    We're coming for you
    Roland Duchatelet
    We're coming for you. :wink:

This is called banter, the same as when we sing the Jeremy Kyle song to Millwall fans, for anyone who thinks otherwise.

According a certain person on another site this very post is a Criminal Offence which is being looked into by the relevant authorities. Be careful now :open_mouth:
    This person is on a major wind up yet again.

If he isn't then I would suggest that he should be prosecuted for wasting police time.

Look at me, look at me.
  • Options

I was thinking more of damage to clothing if Arsenetatters chucks up over me ;-))

Talking of clothing. Is there a dress code for the over 25s? I'd hate to offend the CL Fashion guru's. ;)
    I was thinking, a pair of M&S chino's (cream in colour) maybe with a small turn up. A pair of suede slip on shoes (hush puppies?) A V neck sweater (think former manager) and a nice walking jacket to fit all my useful bits and bobs, like the emergency sewing kit and the shower cap I'm going to steal from the hotel. :)
    yours in anticipation.
    Really Old Bloke.
  • Options
    Can we have a sort of match thread with live updates and pics if possible.
  • Options
    Looking at that weather forecast, you'll need a raincoat too @TCE. Then you'll be dodgy old bloke...