Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Rubbish From The Manager

1235»

Comments

• dickplumb said:

I just find people calling him gobshite, rather disrespectful and just plain pathetic.

I would like to issue a formal CL apology to all fellow members and relatives of Mr Karl Robinson (and both where applicable) who may have been offended by my 'disrespectful and plain pathetic' term 'Karl Gobshite' used in jest for the current manager and regime spokesperson, who has clearly made such a massive contribution to the club's media profile to date.

In future i will be try to be more respectful to those in authority particularly those that have done such a magnificent job screwing up our club in the course of three years and those that dance to their tune like performing seals and talk complete bollocks.

I don't suppose 'Mr Gobby' would be any more acceptable to those of a sensitive disposition?
    You really are one miserable old bastard!

(hope you don't have a sensitive disposition!)
  • dickplumb said:

There is no way that anyone that knows me could say I have a sensitive disposition. But to keep on referring to Karl Robinson as gobshite is both childish and pathetic. He is doing his best, with both hands tied behind his back, to move Charlton on. Yes he talks a lot and he is overly optimistic, you should try it sometimes, but he is working hard to move us up the table. I sometimes feel on this forum that a negative spin is put on everything that happens at the Club. I am not happy with a lot of what has happened but that does not mean that everything is wrong. It seems that some of you want Charlton to fail under this regime. I would prefer this regime to depart as soon as possible but I would always want Charlton to win and be successful. Robinson is doing his best under difficult circumstances and should be supported in that, not called names.

Spot on
  • edited January 2017
    Agreed - To be fair - we don't know if he is overly optimistic or not yet. We need to see how he does over more games than he has had. I think the owner is a mad fool and his CEO is incompetent, but that doesn't mean we haven't stumbled upon the right guy. Previous evidence suggests stumbled is the right word if that is indeed the case. I always felt Slade was the wrong guy and feel as strongly that Robinson is the right one from what I have seen and heard, but the proof of the pudding is always in the eating as they say.

The other important factor is having possibly stumbled on the right sort of manager for us in realtion to where we are now- will they back him fully?
  • edited January 2017
    dickplumb said:

There is no way that anyone that knows me could say I have a sensitive disposition. But to keep on referring to Karl Robinson as gobshite is both childish and pathetic. He is doing his best, with both hands tied behind his back, to move Charlton on. Yes he talks a lot and he is overly optimistic, you should try it sometimes, but he is working hard to move us up the table. I sometimes feel on this forum that a negative spin is put on everything that happens at the Club. I am not happy with a lot of what has happened but that does not mean that everything is wrong. It seems that some of you want Charlton to fail under this regime. I would prefer this regime to depart as soon as possible but I would always want Charlton to win and be successful. Robinson is doing his best under difficult circumstances and should be supported in that, not called names.

I agree with most of what you say but will point out that many who claim to support the regime (and say they hate CL and CARD) didn't support Slade. If fact they slagged him off and were pleased he was sacked after only 16 games. Did he not warrant support in difficult circumstances from fans and the board?

Robinson is a new manager who needs to create a track record of success on the pitch for which I wish him only well. Win games and he can be as "gobby"/"upbeat" (delete as applicable) as he likes.

I don't want Charlton to fail under this regime but the fact is Charlton HAVE failed under this regime.

Charlton are failing under this regime by any reasonable measure and are failing because of the regime. That's why i want them gone.

You are right that just because many things are wrong it doesn't mean everything is wrong.

But neither does that mean that because we have a new manager and we've signed some potentially good players (bit like last summer then) we should ignore the recent track record of failure or the wider issues of lack of real ambition and the player farm, nothing of which has happened in this transfer window dispels.

Up the Addicks

PS Karl, beat the Spanners

• edited January 2017
    Slade was hard to support when you were exposed to his negative tactics! I appreciate he has qualities. I slagged Slade off but I would never have appointed him in the first place. I think the reason given for his sacking by those that did proves their incompetence, even though I agree with it!
  • dickplumb said:

Couldn't agree more and totally to the detriment of this forum!
  • I'm giving him a chance as manager. He seems to be taking risks which is what we need as RD won't release the funds for a serious push. So for now I support the team including the manager... The owner though... He can F right off.
  • edited January 2017
    Essex_Al said:

dickplumb said:

Couldn't agree more and totally to the detriment of this forum!
    But as you yourself prove on this "forum" saying "a negative spin is put on everything that happens at the Club" isn't true.

SOME posters on the forum see SOME things as a negative

SOME posters on the forum see SOME things as a positive. Sure, you and Raytracey are in a minority when it comes to positivity but given the revolving door management policy, relegation and sale of players that isn't, IMHO, very surprising.

The reality is that there is actual debate, opposing arguments and a range of subtle variations in views on this forum as you would expect with 20k members and 1000's of active posters.
  • Sponsored links:

• Negative spin ?
    Shane Warne eat your heart out.

A month ago we were heading for our worse season EVER.
    Surely the facts speak for there self ?

I have no problem with Karl Robinson acting like a Salesman,
    he's talking up Charlton, the football club, not the Owner who will move on one day. Fingers crossed.

Seeing players give 100% plus have some miles in their legs would be one way to let the football do his talking because it will start to grate if the results don't improve and karl keeps up the professional Scouser Routine.
    (he appears to realise how slow the team were)

Many of us have had or have, dodgy Employers so i'm not sure that should be held against Robinson.
    Be a success on the pitch despite the weirdo owner and Karl could become
    A firm favourite. I also think this time the manager should be given at least a year to see if any progress is really being made.
    Having fitter and faster players will be a quick step in the right direction.

Cam Down, Cam Down.
  • Essex_Al said:

Debate, opposing arguments is what a forum should be all about, so I agree entirely.

The problem as we have it on here is that there are SOME, because of their hatred for the regime who choose to be totally negative and spin every word that comes from the club. It's a real bore and as I stated to the detriment of this forum.

This thread is about the new manager, yep, he talks a lot, but he's from Liverpool, I've yet to meet a quiet one!

At the moment he is a breath of fresh air and looks like he is putting together a young attacking team to mount a challenge to reach the play offs, I for one sincerely hopes he is successful, starting Saturday!

To have a poster labelling him a 'gobshite' is out of order, and I do wonder why he bothers to call himself a supporter, grumpy by nature . . . .

As for Ray and myself being in the minority, yes that is obviously true, but we will speak our minds even though we know we are likely trampled on, and as you stated, how would you have a forum without opposing arguments. I also know that there are a lot of people with similar views to the pair of us that simply choose not to bother posting because of the response they know they will get!

Glad we agree about something ; - )

yes, there are SOME people who see a negative in everything just as there are people on lesser sites/twitter who see anything on CL as a negative/bad thing out of jealousy/bile/attention seeking.

There are a lot more than just you and Ray Tracey who voice a more positive view and while you and others get counter arguments I don't see the level of abuse or bile that comes the other way from some people on twitter or other sites you use. Be honest, CL is no way as bad as other places for abuse and negativity about the people they have chosen to attack such as Slade or CARD
  • Never indicated that it was Ben, I would sincerely hope that the mods on here would not allow that to happen!

(don't know about the rockers though!)
  • Essex_Al said:

Debate, opposing arguments is what a forum should be all about, so I agree entirely.

The problem as we have it on here is that there are SOME, because of their hatred for the regime who choose to be totally negative and spin every word that comes from the club. It's a real bore and as I stated to the detriment of this forum.

This thread is about the new manager, yep, he talks a lot, but he's from Liverpool, I've yet to meet a quiet one!

At the moment he is a breath of fresh air and looks like he is putting together a young attacking team to mount a challenge to reach the play offs, I for one sincerely hopes he is successful, starting Saturday!

To have a poster labelling him a 'gobshite' is out of order, and I do wonder why he bothers to call himself a supporter, grumpy by nature . . . .

As for Ray and myself being in the minority, yes that is obviously true, but we will speak our minds even though we know we are likely trampled on, and as you stated, how would you have a forum without opposing arguments. I also know that there are a lot of people with similar views to the pair of us that simply choose not to bother posting because of the response they know they will get!

The experience of the last three years should go a long way to explaining the attitude of SOME to this regime. I can't think of many decisions, if any, during their tenure that have ultimately proved to be positive.
    As I have said before, I like Karl Robinson's enthusiasm. He hasn't, however, helped himself with some of his comments. It sometimes helps to think before you speak and I'm not sure that Karl does that.
  • edited January 2017
    The problem is a lot of those hurling abuse etc seem to fly the banner of CARD. I don't for one moment believe they stand alongside CARD, instead they use CARD as an excuse.

Others hurl abuse etc at CARD and use RD's millions as an excuse to defend him. They also scurry off to that other forum to report everything said on here.

Pathetic is really the perfect tag for either of those parties.

Those who set up CARD, I very much doubt want those kind people using their badge, their slogan and their beliefs as to how to improve as a cloak to veil these arseholes true intentions.

Back on point of what @Essex_Al and @Henry Irving were discussing:

I actually fall somewhere in the middle like many fans.

The cloob do something good one minute, then something really silly the next.

Some examples:

RS - Felt like a really poor timing to sack him.
    KR - Good signing and given a chance to look over the squad befoe January.
    AL - Poor sale but a decent up front fee if reports are to be believed.
    MF - Good sale for us and him, didn't deserve the abuse, but not good enough on a consistent basis for us.

Now finally because they have been proven to lie.

Until I see some proper spending, I will not and cannot agree that they are acting with a target of promotion.
  • Essex_Al said:

Never indicated that it was Ben, I would sincerely hope that the mods on here would not allow that to happen!

(don't know about the rockers though!)

I know you didn't, just bringing some perspective.

As Winston Churchill said

"Charlton Life is the worst type of forum, except for all the others."

Live, love, laugh and be happy
  • Essex_Al said:

Could not have it put it any better Essex.COYR
  • edited January 2017
    Dazzler21 said:

The problem is a lot of those hurling abuse etc seem to fly the banner of CARD. I don't for one moment believe they stand alongside CARD, instead they use CARD as an excuse.

Others hurl abuse etc at CARD and use RD's millions as an excuse to defend him. They also scurry off to that other forum to report everything said on here.

Pathetic is really the perfect tag for either of those parties.

Those who set up CARD, I very much doubt want those kind people using their badge, their slogan and their beliefs as to how to improve as a cloak to veil these arseholes true intentions.

Back on point of what @Essex_Al and @Henry Irving were discussing:

I actually fall somewhere in the middle like many fans.

The cloob do something good one minute, then something really silly the next.

Some examples:

RS - Felt like a really poor timing to sack him.
    KR - Good signing and given a chance to look over the squad befoe January.
    AL - Poor sale but a decent up front fee if reports are to be believed.
    MF - Good sale for us and him, didn't deserve the abuse, but not good enough on a consistent basis for us.

Now finally because they have been proven to lie.

Until I see some proper spending, I will not and cannot agree that they are acting with a target of promotion.

I am

RS - Stupid decision to appoint him - agreed with sacking him but ridiculous seeing as he was appointed not long ago.
    KR - Good appointment - I think more through luck than judgement - but he hasn't proved my view right or wrong yet.
    AL - Decent sale as Charlton through the years would always sell for the reported fee - but how muach of the money is going to Robinson?
    MF - Good sale for both parties - it is time to go when fans boo you on the pitch. Money should go straight to Robinson, but will it?

But my view goes back on decsions over the past 3 years, not 3 months. I want to see a window that is well managed for the first time! We need a balanced squad for once! We have appointed some managers who had an idea what they were doing, but didn't back them. Robinson could be an addition to that list! If we were to make the play -offs and even go up - I won't be sold on the owner - I would need to see another good window and the club going in the right direction. This league is worse than it was when we were last there - promotion is a minimum and up to now we are doing a lot worse than we should be. If Robinson gets us up - he carries none of the baggage the owner and CEo does though so he would deserve every praise.
  • edited January 2017
    But until we know what a good or bad thing Robinson is, it is probably ok to debate it as that is what we come on forums to do. What Airman does clearly highlight is that one of the few things that can be said to be a positive of this regime is not quite what it seems. I don't trust them and I still won't trust them if Robinson gets us promoted. They can always get us relegated next season - the club has to be run properly, competently and yes, honestly and the needs to be a lot of new positive evidence to wipe out all the negative evidence we have.
  • Sponsored links:

• I've no complaint with Lookie being sold. It would probably happen at every club outside of the premiership. There was no way he would say no to a move (it's simply not football) and his agent would have been salivating like a hungry labrador with a butcher's bone. Fox was not a fans favourite and if he had a chance of leaving, it suited both club and player.

KR seems to be an enthusiastic young manager keen to climb the managerial ladder. We aren't Real Madrid and our owner is akin with a mass murderer when it comes to popularity, so his choice to come to Charlton can only be to have a genuine belief that he can be 'The Special One' to buck the revolving door trend and see the job through to it's conclusion i.e football success as RD doesn't do failure. The difficult aspect of his tenure is managing in an environment where the owner / his boss has such a bad reputation. KR needs time to see if he can be part of turning around the club on and off the pitch. Whether he can achieve that is in large part down to his boss giving him the tools to do his job. Managing great staff is easy, it's managing bad staff that's hard. Not saying our player's are all bad, but they aren't at all the other clubs were competing with in League One either, so to be more successful than the rest, it makes sense to assume that we need better players and a better manager than at least 18-22 of them (and a slice of luck).
  • I have a profuse apology to make. I had completely forgotten that @jdmotion is Jimmy Seed's grandson. Of course he wasn't seeking in any way to suggest KR is the next Jimmy Seed. He knows better than all of us how far KR has to go to be compared to JS. Sorry, jdmotion.

@PragueAddick I've changed my name to JamesSeed now to avoid confusion. I thought JimmySeedsGrandson was a bit long!