Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Morgan Fox to Wednesday?

Comments

• Options
    Think Fox plays well when he has good support around him. The inconsistency of Charlton sides is such that he rarely gets that support around him. Another victim of this regime's mediocrity.
  • Options
    That said no one sensible would let Fox go until we have a suitable replacement secured. Would they?
  • Options
    SDAddick said:

colthe3rd said:

Those that like Fox, it seems that most are saying that he tries hard. Whilst I won't deny that is that a reason to think someone is a good player? Does it come back to the cliches we were talking about the other day about passion, hard work, blood and guts etc etc.? Because for me if that's all he has to offer then I'll take 6 figures gladly.

Completely agree that, unto itself, it is nowhere near enough, and I'm very much in the camp of "I prefer technical ability to 'passion'.:" The hard work bits are not something I had in my comments, but I do think it's a good trait in an individual in that he has been dealt a lot of stick, and had some very poor games, and has constantly bounced back from it. Whatever you think of him as a player, surely you can't deny him that.

As the mark of a young professional, it shows that he is able to deal with failure and criticism, and a good work ethic hopefully means he will improve through that hard work. I do think Fox has improved, and it particularly showed in the second half of last season. Against Boro, he had Adomah (I think it was) in his back pocket, closed down every cross and gave him no joy. Sometimes improvement in young players is lopsided, and you take two steps forward and one step backward, but I think with the right coaching and better players around him than we currently have he will continue to improve.
    Yep I wouldn't disagree with that. I honestly have nothing against him. He seems to care about the club and he tries his best. If he went on to have a great career I'd never think bad of it and maybe a move will do that for him. From what I've seen though the championship was too much for him and he has been fairly average in league 1. I'd be shocked if anyone thought he was one of our best performers over the last 2 years. If we had the luxury of buying a better LB and having him as backup then great, unfortunately we are not that club anymore.
  • Options
    Fox - an honest but somewhat limited player. Doesn't hide. Not quick enough to turn. Crosses often hit the 1st defender. Always committed.
    Might be better at centre back as I think he's a quite intelligent footballer and his lack of pace wouldn't be so evident.

I don't dislike him, in fact I quite like him however From our perspective anything above a million is impossible to ignore

• Options
    edited December 2016
    I rated Francis , I don't Fox

Next ten years of his appearances in his playing career
    1% prem ....... 19% Championsip ....... 65% League One ....15% League Two and below

Hope I'm wrong because he seems a nice enough lad and strong character but I've got him at the Grant Basey footballing level
  • Options
    sm said:

He has a good engine and a sweet left foot and has assisted a few goals this year. He is brave and blocks well. Not bad in the air. He is a decent defender but room to improve. Our problem is that we have had a succession of excellent left backs over the last decade or two, so Morgan does not compare well with the likes of Wiggins. He is more a dour defender than an attacker. Every game he plays he does both good and bad, so he is a mixed bag. I quite like him because you know what you are going to get. Wears his heart on is sleeve. Bless.

His problem appears to be his brain speed - he appears to hesitate too often when he shouldn't but otherwise the rest of the game is there when he wants to perform.
    I think you're on to something there.

He used to have an incredibly frustrating habit of advancing up the pitch, and when faced with an opposing player, he'd nearly always opt to boot the ball at them rather than trying to take him on. It would generally lead to a throw in that he'd take himself; usually never amounting to anything, and completely killing any momentum or tempo to our advance. This is genuinely one area of his game that often had me wishing Ceddy Evina was still about, as he seemed to have better decision making than Fox.

I'd always put it down to low confidence, perhaps even poor training drills, but now you mention speed of thought.. I think you may be on to something there.

To be entirely honest, the patch of games that Ceddy had - in the Championship - left me feeling as though he was a better prospect for the LB position than Fox. Then again, Ceddy is now in League Two and it looks like Fox will be back in the Championship.. shows how much I know.
  • Options
    Fox seems to have lost his positional sense when defending. He frequently ends up 20 yards away from his opposing player. He then comes crashing into a tackle, often winning the ball but risking getting yellow carded.

The other stupid part of his recent game is when he goes into the box when we take corners and tries to bully an opposition player who is bigger than him.

He showed promise when he first played as a defender but has gone astray.

Only about 1 in 100 of his passes/crosses is worthwhile.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

1% prem ....... 19% Championsip ....... 65% League One ....15% League Two and below

Hope I'm wrong because he seems a nice enough lad and strong character but I've got him at the Grant Basey footballing level

What's your percentages for the division the club will be in over the next 10 years?
    My guess is if your figures are right, he's making a step up.
  • Options
    edited December 2016
    cafc4life said:

Probably in the top 3 of worst players I've ever seen down the Valley for us. If this is true then I'll happily drive him there now .

Has 0 footballing ability whatsoever , people let his passion cloud their judgement on him . He's total shit .

Jesus you must have had your eyes closed for most of the time - Morgan Fox isnt brilliant but there have been A LOT of players worse than him in a Charlton shirt since he made his debut alone!!

If anything he's on a par with the likes of Lawrie Wilson and Bradley Pritchard

Rhys Williams | Naby Sarr | Cristian Ceballos | Ricardo Vaz Te | Zak Bergdich | Conor McAleny | Reza
    Roger Johnson | El-Hadji Ba | Oguchi Onyewu | Loïc Nego | Yohann Thuram | George Tucudean | Christophe Lepoint | Neil Etheridge | Davide Petrucci | Marcus Tudgay | Piotr Parzyszek | Mark Gower | Simon Church

*Note not saying that some of the above names are crap, just think Fox is better than them
  • Options
    There may be a great player in there - but if he is, he is a master of disguise!
  • Options
    Never hides always gives 100%. @Tutt-Tutt gets it spot on when describing his weaknesses as a player.
  • Options
    HandG said:

Good luck Morgan-if I was your agent I'd be recommending you get out of this place as quick as possible.

But then who will the haters hate? Shouldn't be an issue-Novak, Ajose, Crofts, Foley, Johnson, Botaka, etc etc.

A neutral fan who recently went to the Valley asked me why we seem to hate all of our players? Slightly unfair as it is probably only about 80% of them...,

Got to be Botaka, given his middle name is Roly.
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:

wmcf123 said:

As far as I am aware only Tutt Tutt on this thread has worked as a scout in football and he rates him which says something @owlsonlineadmin .

My understanding is that we almost released him as a lad but he worked like mad to get his contract. You would be getting a very hard working, dedicated young pro with a decent level of experience. He has height on his side for a FB but lacks pace and gets caught out. He has always worked far better with someone to provide protection in front of him, often in our set ups he has been isolated.

Personally, I see him as League One and certainly not promotion chasing Championship but then I thought Simon Francis was just about the worst player to pull on a shirt for us and was nicking a living. He is now Biurnemouth skipper and a mainstay in a successful PL team which shows what I (and most others on here who had /have a similar opinion) know.

I don't need a food critic to tell me when I'm eating a good steak
    But a food critic can taste all the flavours, you probably only taste half the flavours they do... otherwise you'd be the food critic wouldn't you?

A scout sees everything a player does, a fan only sees what they want to see.
    Plus a scout will spend 90mins watching the player - A fan should spend 90mins watching the game and if the ball doesnt go near the Left-Back for the majority of the game, they wont know what they're doing.
  • Options
    edited December 2016

Basey was better but never looked the same after that injury....
  • Options

cafc4life said:

Probably in the top 3 of worst players I've ever seen down the Valley for us. If this is true then I'll happily drive him there now .

Has 0 footballing ability whatsoever , people let his passion cloud their judgement on him . He's total shit .

Jesus you must have had your eyes closed for most of the time - Morgan Fox isnt brilliant but there have been A LOT of players worse than him in a Charlton shirt since he made his debut alone!!

Rhys Williams | Naby Sarr | Cristian Ceballos | Ricardo Vaz Te | Zak Bergdich | Conor McAleny | Reza
    Roger Johnson | El-Hadji Ba | Oguchi Onyewu | Loïc Nego | Yohann Thuram | George Tucudean | Christophe Lepoint | Neil Etheridge | Davide Petrucci | Marcus Tudgay | Piotr Parzyszek | Mark Gower | Simon Church

*Note not saying that some of the above names are crap, just think Fox is better than them
    I'll defend Ceballos on this list, the rest can be shot. even :heart: Reza :heart: never reached his international ability with us, he always looked scared to put a foot in. I'd have loved to see him in League one though maybe not for us..
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited December 2016
    Dazzler21 said:

cafc4life said:

I'll defend Ceballos on this list, the rest can be shot. even :heart: Reza :heart: never reached his international ability with us, he always looked scared to put a foot in. I'd have loved to see him in League one though maybe not for us..
    But was Ceballos a better Footballer than Fox when @ Charlton?

On his day Conor McAleny proved with Wigan last season that he's a good player as he did well for them in League One after his loan with us was terminated yet as a Charlton player he was bloody shocking... thats the point I was trying to make, not whether the above mentioned are rubbish as a whole, just how they were as Charlton players
  • Options
    Fair point.

For the corner alone, i'll let you take out Ceballos too.

Does certainly make it clear to me that all the 1st team managers {coaches} we've had under these numpties must be awful at motivating players (except Riga 1st time around and Nugent in his very brief spell)

• Options
    Dazzler21 said:

Oh come on now let's not be silly. Basey had a lovely left foot, cultured you might even say but I wouldn't say he was better.
  • Options
    colthe3rd said:

Dazzler21 said:

Oh come on now let's not be silly. Basey had a lovely left foot, cultured you might even say but I wouldn't say he was better.
    Basey's issue was that he really was slow... But I'll never forget (think it was against QPR and a TV game) a lovely cross-field ball from him, almost from the Left-Back position diagonally across to the attacking Right-Midfielder.
  • Options
    edited December 2016
    I always thought Simon Francis had the attributes to be successful (but not as successful as he has been). He was big, strong, fairly quick and very good in the air. He was one of the few players that looked the part when we played away to Spurs in the FA Cup which further suggested to me that he had more to offer.

I'm not so sure about Morgan Fox though. He lacks pace/acceleration, he doesn't have great aerial ability (can't see him as a centre-back for that reason) and seems slow to join in the attacking part of the game. On the plus side, he is reasonably solid, he can on occasion provide a good cross, has a good attitude and has a decent fitness record.

Wednesday have seemingly got money to spend/waste. If they need cover at left-back or have a problem there, then Fox for about £1m could be ok for them but they shouldn't be expecting the new Nigel Worthington.
  • Options

Before or after Basey got injured ? :smile:
  • Options
    cafc4life said:

You have not been around for long.
  • Options

colthe3rd said:

Dazzler21 said:

Basey's issue was that he really was slow... But I'll never forget (think it was against QPR and a TV game) a lovely cross-field ball from him, almost from the Left-Back position diagonally across to the attacking Right-Midfielder.
    He wasn't as slow before the injury, but after... the less said the better.