Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

January (2017) Transfer (Rumours) Thread - (Deadline Dayfrom page 67)

Comments

• Options
    Is it correct that any money RD puts in in league one can't be a loan? Makes sense that RD wont want to be funding any losses this year then if he can't make any interest off of them
  • Options

HITC is an agent driven, stolen stories, click bait "Here is Total Crap" site

Morning Ben.....early start for you this morning. I see you have your mojo set in Spanners mode already!
    As a Millwall fan yourself you'd know
    Steady now.......steady!
  • Options
    wmcf123 said:

SDAddick said:

Redhenry said:

Apparently Millwall have threatened to report us regarding the ongoing efforts to sign Shaun Williams.

Good player but surprised we have gone for him. Centre back/holding midfield player isn't the priority if we are only getting one more in..
    Dunno... If we play 4-2-3-1 that Robinson favours then we've got Konsa and Crofts to play the two positions in front of the Defence yet if one of those mentioned gets injured then we've got to rely on Jackson... Ulvestad | JFC | Aribo appear to be more attack minded and part of the Midfield three supporting the Striker so wouldnt want them
    JFC can play as a 10 or as an 8/4. I actually think a true defensive midfielder wouldn't be a bad shout--assuming we can get two players in, another one an attacker. Right now, for that "double 6" position (2 in front of the defense) we have:
    Crofts, Konsa, JFC, Ulvestad, JJ*

None of them, except for maybe Konsa who hasn't played much at senior level in that position, are a true defensive midfielder designed to break up play. As we saw with Darren Potter at MK Dons, KR does like that type of player. That said, I don't think a 30 year old who has spent most of his career in the Irish league and lower leagues is the answer.

I think a #10 or genuine winger is the top need. Heard we've been linked with a move for Ali Crawford up at Hamilton for £1m. Anyone seen this anywhere else?
    When did we start using numbers to describe positions? I know they do it on the continent, but it still seems arbitrary to me.
    Numbering for positions was first introduced in the Football League in 1928.
    Teams lined up numbered 1 to 11.

Each number represented the position on the field of play:

1 Goalkeeper
    2 Right full back
    3 Left full back
    4 Right half back
    5 Centre half back
    6 Left half back
    7 Outside right
    8 Inside right
    9 Centre forward
    10 Inside left
    11 Outside left

Apart from the wingers at 7 and 11, the creative players were usually 8 and 10 who played just behind the 9, linking up play from the defensive midfielders (half backs) feeding the wingers, and with their silky skills unlocking defences.

During 1965 a substitute was introduced, numbered 12.
    (Charlton's very own Keith Peacock was the first ever sub to actually play).

As the years passed, team formations changed (4-2-4 become popular after England won the World Cup in 1966, etc),
    but teams still lined up 1 to 11.

It wasn't until 1993 that the system began to change and players were given a squad number.
    Charlton numbered shirts according to alphabetical order.

Centre back Stuart Balmer being first on the list, wore the number 1 shirt outfield - which seemed really incongruous.
    But the next season, Charlton reverted back to the previous 1 to 11 numbering.

By 1999 it was compulsory to adopt the squad numbering system.
    All in all, a relatively recent change.

• Options
    edited January 2017
    Oggy Red said:

wmcf123 said:

SDAddick said:

Redhenry said:

Apparently Millwall have threatened to report us regarding the ongoing efforts to sign Shaun Williams.

Good player but surprised we have gone for him. Centre back/holding midfield player isn't the priority if we are only getting one more in..
    Dunno... If we play 4-2-3-1 that Robinson favours then we've got Konsa and Crofts to play the two positions in front of the Defence yet if one of those mentioned gets injured then we've got to rely on Jackson... Ulvestad | JFC | Aribo appear to be more attack minded and part of the Midfield three supporting the Striker so wouldnt want them
    JFC can play as a 10 or as an 8/4. I actually think a true defensive midfielder wouldn't be a bad shout--assuming we can get two players in, another one an attacker. Right now, for that "double 6" position (2 in front of the defense) we have:

None of them, except for maybe Konsa who hasn't played much at senior level in that position, are a true defensive midfielder designed to break up play. As we saw with Darren Potter at MK Dons, KR does like that type of player. That said, I don't think a 30 year old who has spent most of his career in the Irish league and lower leagues is the answer.

I think a #10 or genuine winger is the top need. Heard we've been linked with a move for Ali Crawford up at Hamilton for £1m. Anyone seen this anywhere else?
    When did we start using numbers to describe positions? I know they do it on the continent, but it still seems arbitrary to me.

1 Goalkeeper
    2 Right full back
    3 Left full back
    4 Right half back
    5 Centre half back
    6 Left half back
    7 Outside right
    8 Inside right
    9 Centre forward
    10 Inside left
    11 Outside left

Apart from the wingers at 7 and 11, the creative players were usually 8 and 10 who played just behind the 9, linking up play from the defensive midfielders (half backs) feeding the wingers, and with their silky skills unlocking defences.

As the years passed, team formations changed (4-2-4 become popular after England won the World Cup in 1966, etc),

It wasn't until 1993 that the system began to change and players were given a squad number.

Centre back Stuart Balmer being first on the list, wore the number 1 shirt outfield - which seemed really incongruous.

To add to your geekiness, as the years went on, the Center Half Back and Left Half Back slowly dropped into the center of defense, giving us the 5 and 6 as center back numbers that you see today (note, this and pretty much all squad numbers except for goalkeeper are different in other countries).

The right half back was joined in midfield by the inside right (4/8). The outside right and left (7/11) moved back to wingers (in a 4-4-2). That left the 9 and 10 still up front.

For more: Inverting the Pyramid
  • Options

Blucher said:

Robinson is retreating from his earlier references to 'splashing the cash' and is now saying that a large chunk of the Lookman and Fox money will go into redeveloping the training ground - https://www.londonnewsonline.co.uk/15161/charlton-manager-robinson-big-chunk-lookman-fox-transfer-money-will-go-building-best-training-ground-south-london/

It's sensible to try and dampen down the expectations of any selling club but the article smells of regime double talk - trying to dress up the fact that the money is going into Duchatelet's pocket. It also rather confirms our fears that reinvestment in the team is likely to be very modest. We clearly do need reinforcements, including in midfield, not least because Crofts, Ulvestad and Jackson are unlikely to be treading the boards next season. Konsa is playing out of position and Aribo only has a few games under his belt. Let's hope we can get one or two players in later this month.

The article also makes you wonder again why Duchatelet and Meire allowed a substantial multi-million pound grant award for the redevelopment of Sparrow's Lane to lapse (the details of which Airman posted some time ago). Roland probably wanted complete control, rather than being subject to any conditions.

In reality, the £12-13million of transfer fees received in the last six months will simply be absorbed by the huge operating losses incurred (and to be incurred) by the regime.

This quote made me laugh:

“I was going to bring in another midfield player but Ezri [Konsa] and Joe [Aribo] basically said to go and shut up – you don’t need one. Not verbally – but by physically what they have shown me on the pitch. ...“I think every fan of ours will look and say ‘that’s an area that looks very comfortable’.

Spin, bullshit and bollocks from a second rate chancer. Probably still the best we can hope for at the moment though.
    Second rate chancer maybe but don't call him Gobshite unless you want to get an abuse flag from his faithful disciples.
  • Options
    JONATHAN WILSON KLAXON!

You're banned for 2 weeks for being a big neeeerd
  • Options
    Sorry, I don't know what planet I'm on. Pre-match nerves. Announce the team already so I can slag off Lewis Page instead
  • Options
    Leuth said:

JONATHAN WILSON KLAXON!

You're banned for 2 weeks for being a big neeeerd

HAVE YOU JUST MET ME?!?!?! Christ if being a big nerd was enough to get you banned I may as well turn in my username and password now.
  • Options
    Just kidding. I love me some of the ol' football nerdism. More Rafa Honigstein
  • Options
    American football nerds IME make for some of the most heroic football nerds. Remember that Run Of Play blog? Incredible stuff
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited January 2017
    SDAddick said:

Oggy Red said:

wmcf123 said:

SDAddick said:

Redhenry said:

1 Goalkeeper
    2 Right full back
    3 Left full back
    4 Right half back
    5 Centre half back
    6 Left half back
    7 Outside right
    8 Inside right
    9 Centre forward
    10 Inside left
    11 Outside left

To add to your geekiness, as the years went on, the Center Half Back and Left Half Back slowly dropped into the center of defense, giving us the 5 and 6 as center back numbers that you see today (note, this and pretty much all squad numbers except for goalkeeper are different in other countries).

The right half back was joined in midfield by the inside right (4/8). The outside right and left (7/11) moved back to wingers (in a 4-4-2). That left the 9 and 10 still up front.

That post is proper Charlton!
  • Options
    Leuth said:

American football nerds IME make for some of the most heroic football nerds. Remember that Run Of Play blog? Incredible stuff

How can you take seriously a game where there's enough time between each movement of the ball to write a novel, let alone a blog entry?
  • Options
    SDAddick said:

Oggy Red said:

wmcf123 said:

SDAddick said:

Redhenry said:

1 Goalkeeper
    2 Right full back
    3 Left full back
    4 Right half back
    5 Centre half back
    6 Left half back
    7 Outside right
    8 Inside right
    9 Centre forward
    10 Inside left
    11 Outside left

I don't know about my "geekiness" SD, but I was just answering wmcf123's question, and elaborating a little with a few of my own observations - mostly based on my experiences of actually watching Charlton since 1964.

*goes off in a huff*

;o)

• Options

Leuth said:

How can you take seriously a game where there's enough time between each movement of the ball to write a novel, let alone a blog entry?
    I'm talkin' soccer, dude
  • Options

Ajose back to Swindon.

Ajose not even on the bench today then.
  • Options

Ajose back to Swindon.

Ajose not even on the bench today then.
    Those pesky sudden illnesses.
  • Options

Having been to a few games in Singapore when I lived there, the level is about conference level and that is being generous.

Technically it is pretty, but no one can tackle and no one can defend.

That's a fair assessment based on the two games I've watched.
  • Options
    Do any teams actually play on that floating pitch ? I was amazed when I went there and saw that
  • Options
    Dizzle said:

Do any teams actually play on that floating pitch ? I was amazed when I went there and saw that

I don't think any professional teams, but it is used for a lot of smaller events.
  • Options
    Leuth said:

Leuth said:

I'm talkin' soccer, dude
    You mean football nerd who happen to be American, not nerds talking about gridiron? Understood.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Blucher said:

Robinson is retreating from his earlier references to 'splashing the cash' and is now saying that a large chunk of the Lookman and Fox money will go into redeveloping the training ground - https://www.londonnewsonline.co.uk/15161/charlton-manager-robinson-big-chunk-lookman-fox-transfer-money-will-go-building-best-training-ground-south-london/

It's sensible to try and dampen down the expectations of any selling club but the article smells of regime double talk - trying to dress up the fact that the money is going into Duchatelet's pocket. It also rather confirms our fears that reinvestment in the team is likely to be very modest. We clearly do need reinforcements, including in midfield, not least because Crofts, Ulvestad and Jackson are unlikely to be treading the boards next season. Konsa is playing out of position and Aribo only has a few games under his belt. Let's hope we can get one or two players in later this month.

The article also makes you wonder again why Duchatelet and Meire allowed a substantial multi-million pound grant award for the redevelopment of Sparrow's Lane to lapse (the details of which Airman posted some time ago). Roland probably wanted complete control, rather than being subject to any conditions.

In reality, the £12-13million of transfer fees received in the last six months will simply be absorbed by the huge operating losses incurred (and to be incurred) by the regime.

I bet it isn't taken off his 'investment' figure that they like to quote to the media either.
  • Options

Blucher said:

I bet it isn't taken off his 'investment' figure that they like to quote to the media either.
    Why would it be if it's not paid back to him?
  • Options

Blucher said:

The money doesn't add up with Duchatelet.
  • Options

Is it correct that any money RD puts in in league one can't be a loan? Makes sense that RD wont want to be funding any losses this year then if he can't make any interest off of them

Money can't be added as debt. Duchatelet can put in the money as investment but you know, he is not going to do that as he feels that all his business' need to stand alone. Given the strength of the league, a little bit of additional investment would see Charlton top 6, but that is unlikely to happen.
  • Options

Blucher said:

I was referring specifically to the training ground. Several times it has been stated that he is investing 20m in the training ground. But when it is arranged as a loan and money used from a player sale to fund it, it is hardly an investment. It might be on his part due to the tax relief and the interest he charges, but for the club, with player sales not being reinvested, I'm not so sure.
  • Options
    Might need Ajose if Magennis is out.
  • Options
    Get that big Brazilian in with the Italian name in from Singapore. Or Makienok (I'm serious).
  • Options
    Makienok not being renewed at Preston then?
  • Options

Have we ever had a Brazilian?

No but I have!!!!
    So have I.
    You liked it so much, you married her
    Ffs