Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Gig spy

Comments

• It may have been the result of the bang of the head I received on Friday, but felt the Paul Weller last night was very flat.

Few friends of mine on FB are raving about it this morning, saying he was bang on form.
  • It may have been the result of the bang of the head I received on Friday, but felt the Paul Weller last night was very flat.

I've seen Weller a few times as a support act in the last few years and they've always seemed "flat" to me which is why I wouldn't see him as the main act. I still love all the old stuff, but it's just nowhere near the same for me.

Some "old" acts are still brilliant like The Cure and some aren't. But it's all about opinions.
  • Although he played for 135 minutes I didn't think it was classic Weller in front of a disappointing two thirds full O2.

Man in a corner shop was my highlight. In my opinion his last three albums don't have any real anthems on them. The mood lifts massively every time he plays a Jam track or anthems from wild wood or Stanley Road . I guess he can't win.

Followed him and watched him live home and abroad for 41 years but barring an unlikely Jam reunion I doubt I will go to watch him again. Sad really as excluding marriage him and Charlton have been the mainstays of my life.
  • I actually thought it was a great night. The old tracks, and Weller did a lot last night, will always be the ones which get a great reception, but that’s the same for every act on the planet.
  • @falconwood_1
    How was hospitality?

Awesome gig, spoke to a couple in the Argyll pub beforehand who were going into hospitality
  • Editors in Paris on 23rd March. Need to get listening to the new album I guess?
  • Took my 13 year old daughter to her first gig last Sunday. Bit of Pop Punk at Koko. Place was heaving, but god did I feel old. Thankfully I wasn’t the oldest there! Don’t think I’ve ever stressed over what to wear to a gig so much!!!

Ashamed to admit I quite liked Dead!, Patent Pending were awful (she agreed). Headliners Waterparks were very twee, they put on a good show though and she loved it - she’s trying to get me to take her to the Slam Dunk festival....
  • Anyone on here a member of the Southbank Centre? Quite keen to go and see The Libertines there this year and could do with access to the priority queue!
  • DA9 said:

@falconwood_1
    How was hospitality?

Awesome gig, spoke to a couple in the Argyll pub beforehand who were going into hospitality

Well worth £150. Got stuck into the Tattinger....they asked people to take their seats at 8pm.....so left them to it and we were the last ones to leave the bar area. Well recommend using their hospitality rather than just getting regualar seats. Also, www.thecrownandtwochairmenw1.co.uk/ is decent for lunch.

Perfect venue for him.
  • Saw At the Drive In and DFA 1979 on Friday at Brixton O2 (still recovering). Both played stuff from their earlier albums so I was pleased.
  • Sponsored links:

• I thought Morrissey was a bit meh on Friday. A good voice and performance, but didn't sing many of my favourites, which is understandable, but boring.
  • Editors in Paris on 23rd March. Need to get listening to the new album I guess?

I saw them a the Clapham Grand last week. The first half of their set was quite a lot of new stuff; the second half was more familiar. They were, as ever, very good live. Wish I was going to Paris to see them. I'll be waiting until they play at Brighton in October.
  • I thought Morrissey was a bit meh on Friday. A good voice and performance, but didn't sing many of my favourites, which is understandable, but boring.

Out of the 4 London venues, Ally Pally was the last on my list. Doesn't suit his style and current set list either.

I saw them a the Clapham Grand last week. The first half of their set was quite a lot of new stuff; the second half was more familiar. They were, as ever, very good live. Wish I was going to Paris to see them. I'll be waiting until they play at Brighton in October.
    I've got tickets for Brixton Academy in October. Really looking forward to it, great venue and cheap tickets
  • Joyous weekend at Ramblin Roots Revue in High Wycombe (I know...) checkout Bennett Wilson Poole and countless others
  • Got tickets for John Fogerty at the O2 in October. Can't wait.
  • addickson said:

Joyous weekend at Ramblin Roots Revue in High Wycombe (I know...) checkout Bennett Wilson Poole and countless others

Line up looked great - especially would like to see The Hanging Stars - totally love their new LP.

So many Brit bands do ths genre better than over here - especially the myriad of dire Canadian bands (Barring The Sadies / Daniel Romano & a few honorable exceptions)
  • Saw Friendly Fires’ return last Thursday at Brixton. They were outstanding and it’s really good to have them back.

Next up for me is Pendulum’s comeback gig at Printworks on Saturday.
  • Done this the other Day/night £22 for a Ticket , some great Synth/Electronic groups , Vogon Poetry , Shelter , and Tiny Magnetic Pets the highlights for me .
  • Seeing Arcade Fire at Wembley Arena on Thursday.
  • Sponsored links:

• Belle and Sebastian at Aberystwyth, a few weeks ago now, were brilliant a real party atmosphere, everyone dancing their socks off both on and off stage.
  • Going to see The Monochrome Set in Lewes on May. Looking forward to it. Look em up kids!
  • Arcade Fire at Wembley Arena. Brilliant. It would have been a 9, but Jarvis Cocker came on in added time so 9.5.
  • My daughter has the bug now. Took her to see Fall Out Boy at the O2. Dread go think what their show budget is! Never seen such a huge queue for merchandise in my life!

Next up Halsey at Hammersmith in September.
  • Arcade Fire at Wembley Arena. Brilliant. It would have been a 9, but Jarvis Cocker came on in added time so 9.5.

Would’ve got an extra 0.5 if they’d played Laika
  • Going to see The Monochrome Set in Lewes on May. Looking forward to it. Look em up kids!

I’d almost forgotten all about them. Can’t remember where I saw them all those years ago. Good stuff.
  • The All Points East gig at Victoria Park including Nick Cave, Patti Smith, is looking a bit tempting, anyone been to gigs at Vic park before ?
  • I put on my own gigs as Turtle Tempo. Most of them are free & showcase indie stuff. My next one is Saturday at Notting Hill Arts Club if anyone’s about.
  • Otoboke Beaver at the Scala last night. Excellent fun! Mad, 1,000 mph punk by four ladies from Kyoto.