Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Woolwich

Comments

• Options
    @Stig Royal Arsenal Coop RAC
  • Options
    .....I must've been you your car boot! ; )
  • Options

Interesting footage of life in the Woolwich Arsenal 1914/18 including the Royal Arsenal Railways!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lyr03UxU87s

That's great Raith.

Seeing that narrow gauge railway reminds me that there was a normal gauge railway connection to the Arsenal branching off the main line between Plumstead and Abbey Wood.
    The line ran parallel to Church Manorway and crossed the Southern Sewage Outflow (Sewer Bank) at the junction with Sewell Road, spanning Nathan Way via an old iron bridge before disappearing north via a restricted part of the Arsenal.
    When my family moved from Woolwich to Abbey Estate (or Abbey Wood Estate as everybody called it) in the late 50's we eventually ended up at that end of Sewell Road.
    The track was still there at that time although disused for many years.
    The old Iron Bridge across Nathan Way was at one point blocked by fencing but this had been long ago breached by adventurous scallywags and the site was never maintained.
    As boys we often played on the bridge, some of us perched precariously on the stone pillars that held the bridge in place, with a long drop down to Nathan Way! Happy days.
    Wish I had some pictures of how it was.
  • Options

Royal Arsenal Cooperative Society (RACS).
  • Options
    Couldn't think for the life of me what the S was for, was gonna say Shop, but that woulda been Fake News
  • Options
    bobmunro said:

My mum worked for them for 35 years.

• Options
    bobmunro said:

bobmunro said:

I still remember my mum's six-digit number you had to quote to put the purchase towards her dividend!!

It was a great store - top floor was a silver service restaurant and the floor below a cafeteria where I would often go at lunchtime from school for a plate of chips and baked beans!! And next door was a small tobacconist who used to sell single cigarettes!!

Life was so simple then!!
    I wish I still remembered my mum's divy number. Had to remember it went sent to get something from the co-op shop on the co - op estate in Abbey Wood when not at the local school named after the founder of the Co-op movement.

Then they brought stamps in instead
  • Options
    You mean these? They bring back memories.

• Options
    bobmunro said:

bobmunro said:

I still remember my mum's six-digit number you had to quote to put the purchase towards her dividend!!

It was a great store - top floor was a silver service restaurant and the floor below a cafeteria where I would often go at lunchtime from school for a plate of chips and baked beans!! And next door was a small tobacconist who used to sell single cigarettes!!

My mother worked in the Cafeteria for about 20 years until it closed.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

bobmunro said:

bobmunro said:

My mother worked in the Cafeteria for about 20 years until it closed.
    If she was there between 1968 and 1975 she probably served me!!
  • Options
    bobmunro said:

what was the big RACS store in Lewisham is now a huge gym .. before that it was a multi storey Yates 'wine bar', i.e. great big boozer
  • Options

bobmunro said:

what was the big RACS store in Lewisham is now a huge gym .. before that it was a multi storey Yates 'wine bar', i.e. great big boozer
    Next to Army & Navy?
  • Options
    ...Weren't there a FADS along that parade?
  • Options
    ....or was it a weird little indoor market?
  • Options
    Was Chiesemans and Army and Navy. The ground floor bit was definitely a moody little market.
  • Options

My mum and dad had their wedding reception there in 1942. They married at St Peters and then the wedding party of 20 made the short walk to their reception at the Co-op in Powis Street.

Great bit of history there. My grandmother worked there as a cashier, Remember going there in the early 60s when they had 'funny money', light tin type money, I think replaced by plastic. On the left hand side of the street they they had a strange contraption that they put in a vessel that I assume went upstairs via some sort of 'compressed air', which I assume was a receipt/money.

Made me laugh at the receipt, for the 20 guests, I have to pay more than that to park my car per day for my sons weddings this coming year, and I am only staying at the Marriott Bexleyheath.......
  • Options

My mum and dad had their wedding reception there in 1942. They married at St Peters and then the wedding party of 20 made the short walk to their reception at the Co-op in Powis Street.

2/6d worth of unspecified 'minerals'. I bet that was one hell of a reception!
  • Options

Great bit of history there. My grandmother worked there as a cashier, Remember going there in the early 60s when they had 'funny money', light tin type money, I think replaced by plastic. On the left hand side of the street they they had a strange contraption that they put in a vessel that I assume went upstairs via some sort of 'compressed air', which I assume was a receipt/money.

Made me laugh at the receipt, for the 20 guests, I have to pay more than that to park my car per day for my sons weddings this coming year, and I am only staying at the Marriott Bexleyheath.......
    Also got a separate receipt for alcohol: Ale: 10 shillings, Sherry £1 12 shillings. Total Two Guineas. Imagine it was the one and only time my Dad had a glass of sherry. The 15 shilling wedding cake would have been one of the war time specials - a tiny cake with a mock cardboard cover over it, made to look like the real thing.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

bobmunro said:

bobmunro said:

I wish I still remembered my mum's divy number. Had to remember it went sent to get something from the co-op shop on the co - op estate in Abbey Wood when not at the local school named after the founder of the Co-op movement.

Then they brought stamps in instead
    Originally we got handed tin coins to the value spent. Remember using them as play money, if you spent a shilling you got a 1/- tin coin back.
  • Options
    My first job after leaving school was for the RACS a couple of my friends started there as well
  • Options
    bobmunro said:

bobmunro said:

Back in the 1960's I lived with my nan for a while in Abbey Wood near the RACS on Mcleod road and I too can still remember the number she needed for her stamps! For some strange reason I can also remember my granddads 1963 British racing green Ford Zephyr 4's number plate. Strange how odd remnants from your childhood stick in your memory
  • Options
    edited January 2017

Was Chiesemans and Army and Navy. The ground floor bit was definitely a moody little market.

Sorry to hijack a Woolwich post and waffle about Lewisham ..

I moved out of Lewisham/Blackheath, my home town, ages ago and was away for a LONG time .. how things have changed yet strangely remain nearly the same ..
    what was Chiesmans (spelling) and (I believe) later the A&N has been razed and the site now holds one of the biggest Police Stations in London, if not the country ... there is a big indoor shopping centre nearly opposite the old RACS and I think the market stalls which were a feature for donkeys years in the area round the clock tower are long gone .. looking at the place on Google maps what amazes is the volume of traffic .. half Lewisham centre has been demolished to accommodate vehicles, a bus station and the DLR
  • Options

With a moody little cafe in it?
  • Options
    Remember a friend and life long Charlton fan (some of you will definitely know him) come out the Joiners next to the precinct, one night, to help someone out who had been knocked over and getting hit by a bus in the process.... Or at least I think that's how the story went.......
  • Options
    T.C.E said:

Anyone remember those tubes in Cuffs that carried little pots with cash in up to the cashiers office?
    I used to watch the lady put the money in then load it into the tube and pull the lever, I'd take off chasing it across which ever level we were on until it reached a vertical tube and it would take off out off sight leaving me collapsed in a heap on the shop resulting in much laughter from fellow shoppers. It got so bad that my teenage children refused to shop with me. ;)

A Lampson tube.
  • Options
    They had them in Woolwich Sainsburys an all
  • Options

bobmunro said:

bobmunro said:

Back in the 1960's I lived with my nan for a while in Abbey Wood near the RACS on Mcleod road and I too can still remember the number she needed for her stamps! For some strange reason I can also remember my granddads 1963 British racing green Ford Zephyr 4's number plate. Strange how odd remnants from your childhood stick in your memory
    The RACS purchased 170 acres in that area to build the Abbey Wood estate in the 1890s. There is a plaque on the wall of that coop commemorating the fact. It is on the side wall in Bostall Lane I've just checked on Google maps - it is still there.

http://www.pmsa.org.uk/pmsa-database/3425/