Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Woolwich

Comments

• Options

Not me in the photograph. Ffs Ken that must be late fifties ? I was born in 56. I was wondering if it was in one of those streets that run opposite Charlton Lido. There are a few shops down there that fit the age I think.

Later I think, mid 60s
  • Options
    Definitely not Grove Park
  • Options
    ...no BR station
  • Options

Not me in the photograph. Ffs Ken that must be late fifties ? I was born in 56. I was wondering if it was in one of those streets that run opposite Charlton Lido. There are a few shops down there that fit the age I think.

Later I think, mid 60s
    I bow to your better judgement than mine :0)

It must be Woolwich or Charlton ? The telephone number on the shop says Woo 4842 which I think pre all digit telephone numbers covered Woolwich and Charlton not sure about Plumstread. I certainly remember Greenwich and Blackheath having the GRE prefix. Even if I'm well out of whack it does restrict the location to the borough although depending on the age of the photo I guess it could be Woolwich Borough ? I will continue to dig.

• Options
    edited February 2017
    Would definitely restrict the location to Woolwich & Plumstead although growing up I lived in Kinveachy Gardens in Charlton just off Littleheath and our first telephone number started with the prefix of Woo. So we can't rule out Charlton, Abbey Wood or Eltham ?
  • Options
    Yeah tend to think it is '68ish'... young lady's shortish mini skirt. It is before 'Feb 71' as that was Decimal Day..... Could be the shops near the lido, but that looks like a slip road, sandwiched in beetween the pavements. Could be around Eltham Well hall? (guess)
  • Options
    Spotted this on the web...... couple of guys went into the RACS building, so sad to see this important building reduced to this. Think my grandmother would be heartbroken, she was a firm supporter of the RACS, as well as having worked there as a cashier. http://yinnyang.co.uk/2013/09/08/exploring-royal-arsenal-co-operative-society/
  • Options

Swinggate lane February 1970

By 2011 it was the Blue Lagoon chippy

https://www.flickr.com/photos/50780708@N02/5453914126

Well done.

I got up to Barnefield Shops and then gave up, anywhere passed that I ain't got a clue about...Who'dathought it?
  • Options

Swinggate lane February 1970

By 2011 it was the Blue Lagoon chippy

https://www.flickr.com/photos/50780708@N02/5453914126

Well done Henners.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    The clothes, the co op stamps and 10/- made it late 60s so only two months out : - )

Grew up in Abbey Wood but don't think I've been along swing gate lane in my life.
  • Options
    edited February 2017
    They must've spun the photo round so it's all arse about face

• Options
    Yep, well spotted Ben.......
    The author does state The Royal Arsenal Co-operative Society, (RACS) Swingate Lane, Plumstead branch butchery.

November 1970.
    Jimi Hendrix No 1 in charts that month, with voodoo chile slight return....
  • Options
    Must be lots of Blue Lagoon restaurants I guess.
  • Options
    edited February 2017

The clothes, the co op stamps and 10/- made it late 60s so only two months out : - )

Grew up in Abbey Wood but don't think I've been along swing gate lane in my life.

During my first couple of years at Abbey Wood Comp we used to occasionally have Games lessons (football/rugby) in a recreation field at the end of Swingate Lane.
    Used to get driven there in those old boneshaker green coaches.

Edit - Just remembered it was Rose Cottage and having just googled it appears to be still there!
  • Options

Spotted this on the web...... couple of guys went into the RACS building, so sad to see this important building reduced to this. Think my grandmother would be heartbroken, she was a firm supporter of the RACS, as well as having worked there as a cashier. http://yinnyang.co.uk/2013/09/08/exploring-royal-arsenal-co-operative-society/

My Mum worked there for about 10 years.
    Don't think I'll show her these!
  • Options

Part of Swingate lane,
    It turns off, and Teviott Rangers FC ground is down that part of the street, just pass the shops.

• Options
    Those images of the interior of the sold RACS building are so sad. Such a pity so much of the original interior has been ripped out. This is where my mum worked for some years in the PR Dept.

I suppose it's a good thing that the building itself is going to survive and be used as housing into the next period of time.

I think I will show my mum. I'll report back what she has to say.
  • Options

The co-op that the likely lads are standing outside is just in shot, to the left of the alleyway, and is now a Londis. You can still see the distinctive brickwork pattern on the walls by the shop signs,although they have been painted. The ladies hairdressers is also part of Londis now.

• Options
    A pic of Modern Woolwich... the Guardhouse through the gates. Just off a long train journey and Ian waiting in here...

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Curb_It said:

A pic of Modern Woolwich... the Guardhouse through the gates. Just off a long train journey and Ian waiting in here...

Nice house you and Tavern have there. I'm jealous.
  • Options
    A killer to clean.
  • Options

The co-op that the likely lads are standing outside is just in shot, to the left of the alleyway, and is now a Londis. You can still see the distinctive brickwork pattern on the walls by the shop signs,although they have been painted. The ladies hairdressers is also part of Londis now.

The chippy must've moved over and Londis took up the whole parade in the other side of the alley way
  • Options
    Did any on live in Lakedale Road Plumsted during the Sixties? I am trying to trace the Surname of a Married Couple who lived there.Their Christian Names were Leslie and Nell,which I think was Eleanor,they also had a son called Trevor.The were friends with my Grandparents who lived in Francies Street Woolwich.I was wondering if Trevor is still in the area,he would be in his 60s now.
  • Options
    Curb_It said:

A killer to clean.

Well, I hope you pay the cleaner well then.
  • Options
    fadgadget said:

bobmunro said:

Have found an address for Matchless AJS at 44 Plumstead Road Woolwich

Taken from Plumstead Stories (on line memories site):

A special place for me was the Matchless/AJS motorcycle factory. It lay between Maxey Road and Burrage Road, on the northern side of the main rail line. I could stand at the wire link fence and stare across the rail line to the gleaming motorbikes waiting to be loaded on to the trains and lorries for delivery. It was a hive of industry, with bikes being wheeled out of the factory and pushed up and down various ramps. Men dressed in grey overalls would straddle a bike, give the crank a kick and ride the bike away down the other end to some distant shed. Intermittently, big black steam trains huffed and puffed between the bikes and myself. The smell of smoke would permeate my nostrils and chest, leaving a decidedly coal-like taste in the mouth.

That has brought back so many memories - thank you.

The Maxey Road factory was a special place - especially for a 11/12 year old walking past everyday on my way to school from Plumstead to Woolwich in the late 60's. Matchless and Nortons being test ridden along Maxey Road and Burrage Road. The smell, the noise - I can sense it still so clearly.

Happy days.
    I know a good few year back (20) that a small celebration of the Matchless/AJS works was done in the market square and in the old art gallery opposite the COOP , quite a few of the old bikes on display , but if you look online there are very few photos of the old works , seems strange that a company of that size that employed so many people of Woolwich has very little history to refer back to .
  • Options

The chippy must've moved over and Londis took up the whole parade in the other side of the alley way

Yes that is correct.

Good job the Londis didn't mean the end of the blue lagoon as its a decent chippy.
  • Options
    http://www.taproomse18.com

This place is worth a mention.
    Cozy little bar and they brew all thier own beer.
  • Options

They must've spun the photo round so it's all arse about face

I had a garage down that ramp - used to live 100 yards to the left in the small block of flats at the end of the parade - and my mum continued to live there until she died in 1992.
  • Options
    edited February 2017

Curb_It said:

A killer to clean.

Well, I hope you pay the cleaner well then.
    You can just spot the cleaner sitting in the window with his pint.