Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Woolwich

Comments

• Another more general view of Woolwich riverside and North Woolwich, I'm guessing from the 1950s.
  • Powis Street from the late 60s/early 70s at a guess.
  • A final one of Plumstead High Street and the Stamp Shop!
  • Great picture of the trams outside the Odeon and the cinema queue for Joan of Arc (1948) starring Ingrid Bergman.

Not trams, young man, but trolleybuses - the small terminus was called Parsons Hill, no doubt thanks to the nearby church of St Mary's, and was the end of the line for routes 696 to Dartford and 698 to Bexleyheath (via Erith). Parsons Hill was swept away in the mid-60s when the new ferries and ramps were introduced and John Wilson Street was built to make a better highway connection with the South Circular. The magnificent trolleybuses had long since gone, being replaced by buses on routes 96 and 229 in March 1959.
  • Just found this one as well - General Gordon Place in the 1950s - looks slightly different today with the water feature and assorted dossers loitering around it.
  • Curb_It said:

Seven pages about Woolwich in the old days but very little positive news on the Woolwich of today?

I like a coffee in the Coffee Lounge as I watch the world go by over General Gordon square!! Ahem.

Tom_Hovi said:

Just found this one as well - General Gordon Place in the 1950s - looks slightly different today with the water feature and assorted dossers loitering around it.

Very harsh there @Tom_Hovi!! Very harsh indeed :wink:
  • Hahahs Tel you cheeky sod!!

Great pics.
  • TelMc32 said:

Curb_It said:

Seven pages about Woolwich in the old days but very little positive news on the Woolwich of today?

I like a coffee in the Coffee Lounge as I watch the world go by over General Gordon square!! Ahem.

Tom_Hovi said:

Just found this one as well - General Gordon Place in the 1950s - looks slightly different today with the water feature and assorted dossers loitering around it.

Are the dossers becoming Hipsters ?
  • Tom_Hovi said:

I can't remember if I've posted these elsewhere on another thread but one of the old Woolwich Ferry here (which I don't actually remember).

That short stretch of road is Bell Water Gate.
    When I was a kid I always thought there was something quite Dickensian about it.
    Slightly scary

• Tom_Hovi said:

I can't remember if I've posted these elsewhere on another thread but one of the old Woolwich Ferry here (which I don't actually remember).

Think we used to call that the 'steps' ...... giving access to the Thames. The 75 and 54 buses used to 'terminate' in that small road siding , (as they did at the Blackheath standard, top of Invicta Road) Used to go to the Cafe's in the next road, while we 'rode' the Ferry boats, as 'herberts' at weekends and summer holidays. The smell of engine oil from those ferry boats was pretty 'unique'...... but then the Thames had a smell as well, and not always fragrant! ......'Ode de Thames'
  • Sponsored links:

• TelMc32 said:

Curb_It said:

Tom_Hovi said:

Are the dossers becoming Hipsters ?
    Not sure @Covered End Have you got a beard?? :wink:
  • TelMc32 said:

Curb_It said:

Tom_Hovi said:

Yes a tad harsh - I always seem to pick the wrong time of day to walk through there. It is a nice open space and better than the old bus station that used to be there.
  • Tom_Hovi said:

When I was a kid I always thought there was something quite Dickensian about it.
    Slightly scary

Yes, I know exactly what you mean. I think there was a pub on each corner, The Crown and Cushion was one and was the other one The Bell?
  • Was this where the ferry approach now is ?
  • edited December 2016

Was this where the ferry approach now is ?

I think that's an earlier view of Bellwater Gate, pre-war and pre-bombing. So, no not Ferry Approach. The old Ferry Approach is where the foot tunnel entrance is. When they built the current ferries (in about 1964 I think) they moved the loading point to where it is today.
  • Tom_Hovi said:

Think we used to call that the 'steps' ...... giving access to the Thames. The 75 and 54 buses used to 'terminate' in that small road siding , (as they did at the Blackheath standard, top of Invicta Road) Used to go to the Cafe's in the next road, while we 'rode' the Ferry boats, as 'herberts' at weekends and summer holidays. The smell of engine oil from those ferry boats was pretty 'unique'...... but then the Thames had a smell as well, and not always fragrant! ......'Ode de Thames'
    Am I right in thinking you could reach down and touch the river from those old ferry boats (if you were so inclined) - couldn't do that from the newer boats.
  • Tom_Hovi said:

Tom_Hovi said:

Slightly scary

Yes, I know exactly what you mean. I think there was a pub on each corner, The Crown and Cushion was one and was the other one The Bell?
    Here's a pic from 1927 (before my time obviously :smile: )

No it's the other end of Woolwich High Street before you turn the corner into Beresford Road heading towards the Square

Looks like Bell Water Gate, behind the Waterfront / The Crown and Cushion. Use to catch nice eels down there
  • Sponsored links:

• For thousands of tram pix look at www.londontramways.co.uk. The photos are filed by location. Warning - the pictures really are of trams and generally show little of the streetscape, but amongst the 3 pictures under Woolwich Free Ferry there is one splendid photo looking towards the old power station. Enjoy!!

Remember watching famous groups and singers in the sixties here and the opposite cinema, if I remember correctly one was a blues night with Chuck Berry, Little Richard and a few others. Was offered a ticket to watch a Liverpool group in the early sixties, but after seeing them live on a children's television programme, didn't fancy it, I think they were called The Beatles.
  • Tom_Hovi said:

Am I right in thinking you could reach down and touch the river from those old ferry boats (if you were so inclined) - couldn't do that from the newer boats.
    Remember getting sprayed when they tied up from the back wash. Not sure if this correct for 61\62 in regard of the boat.
  • ross1 said:

Remember watching famous groups and singers in the sixties here and the opposite cinema, if I remember correctly one was a blues night with Chuck Berry, Little Richard and a few others. Was offered a ticket to watch a Liverpool group in the early sixties, but after seeing them live on a children's television programme, didn't fancy it, I think they were called The Beatles.
    And the 70s and 80s
    Remember level 42 in 83
  • Great picture of the trams outside the Odeon and the cinema queue for Joan of Arc (1948) starring Ingrid Bergman.

Not trams, young man, but trolleybuses - the small terminus was called Parsons Hill, no doubt thanks to the nearby church of St Mary's, and was the end of the line for routes 696 to Dartford and 698 to Bexleyheath (via Erith). Parsons Hill was swept away in the mid-60s when the new ferries and ramps were introduced and John Wilson Street was built to make a better highway connection with the South Circular. The magnificent trolleybuses had long since gone, being replaced by buses on routes 96 and 229 in March 1959.
    Thanks - I happily stand corrected.
    PS Once a young woman, now nearer an auld biddy, but never a man!

Thanks - I happily stand corrected.
    PS Once a young woman, now nearer an auld biddy, but never a man!
    I duly stand corrected in turn !!
  • Brilliant, thanks for that.
  • On my occasional childhood visits to Charlton, we'd stop off in Woolwich to collect my mum who would have spent the afternoon shopping there. We always seemed to end up hanging around outside the Co-op with my dad giving me the sort of historical lecture that I'd find fascinating now, but which was boring and frustrating in equal measure to a boy who just wanted a ride home on the ferry. I must have spent half my childhood wondering why the Co-op in Woolwich was called RACS when the Co-ops everywhere else were more conveniently called Co-ops. I suspect this was the very thing my dad was trying to tell me, if only I'd listened.