Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Charlton v Port Vale - Post Match Views

Comments

• edited November 2016
    The idea of Botaka is beautiful: sent on as sub: sprinting across the pitch from dug-out to corner flag, the quickest acceleration we have seen since the estimable Paul Williams, snapping at the heels of the unsuspecting defender.

Botaka didn't win that ball in the corner. Nor the pass on his right-wing. His tip-taps fell short, tentative and intercepted. We were trapped in the second half, retreating against another third-division team, on the back foot. Miles away from the imploring Covered End.

Was it Hanlan who was set free? Ball at feet, all defenders left behind, only the keeper to beat. One-on-one inside the box - and instead of a shot, he passes to Ajose three yards out. He's offside!

That is simply stupid.

It's the Sparrows Lane coaching for you. Meanwhile, Magennis, injured playing for his country last weekend, had leaped high at an another over-hit cross, arched his back – and powered a header beyond the keeper. Yann Kermorgant would applaud that superb goal.

Foley and Fox? Basic, schoolboy errors. Passes sent astray. Here and there. Weak and dull. Clearances from Pearce and Bauer are shanked and skied. Crofts and Ulvestadt: utterly anonymous. It's a throw-in to our opponents...

Ricky Holmes is the only man in our squad with zip, fire, and energy: gamble and guts. Penetrating, probing, rushing forward; clever and quick.

We already miss him. Thank God that Port Vale are even worse than Charlton.

• edited November 2016
    I've never had a problem with Foley playing right back. That is his position. What we have to look at now is champions form to get into the play offs. Today's set up won't give us that IMO but it is a start. How we do on Tuesday will be telling. We have to have our best players on the pitch which means Tex and we have to have Ba on the bench! At least until the window when things can be done.
  • seth plum said:

It is farcical to put tex on the bench by the way, it seems clear he won't play a league game for us. Even with no prospect of coming on, a player like Aribo (because he is a midfielder) should have been named amongst the substitutes.
    I don't blame Nugent by the way.

Said this last week. It's a complete waste of a squad space, especially when we usually have 2 other centre backs on the bench anyway.
    I also can't believe that no one (as far as i'm aware) ever asked Slade to clarify Tex's situation. Perhaps a journo can ask the new guy when he's appointed if we're actually allowed to play him.
  • That second goal shows the service Ajose's been lacking all season - it's how he scored a lot of his goals for Swindon last season.
  • Nicholas said:

First half decent.
    Second half crap
    No atmosphere
    Boring as.

Tend to agree with this and I would add Port Vale were shocking, absolutely nothing going forward. This is a poor league quality wise and our position is in it is pretty disgraceful really for a club who, in the regimes mind, are in a healthy state.
  • Sponsored links:

• The strangest part of yesterday for me was just before half-time I went for a piss.
    Three of us were standing there doing what comes naturally when we heard a faint cheer, we looked at one another and said that it couldn't be a goal as it was not a big enough cheer.
    I then walked back to my seat in the upper North only to hear the bloke on the tannoy announce Ajose had scored.

That has got to be the quietest goal celebration i have heard at the valley in years, official attendance nearly nine thousand my arse
  • Sounds like one big arse fest yesterday.
  • Did anyone else think the ref was awful.
  • Did anyone else think the ref was awful.

Can I just add that the ref was an absolute arse.

Agreed on both counts
  • Can I just add that the ref was an absolute arse.

Yup, totally awful
  • vffvff
    edited November 2016

Mad Dog it is then, to be our next manager.

Not from the roll of the eyes that Allen gave on the C5 goals programme.

Good to see Ajose tuck the second goal away.

Curbs said that the owners need to consider the type of manager they want. Unfortunately, the type of manager they want is the one that accepts the shit sandwich served up for lunch & then to force them to accept the responsibility for that lunch when the results are bad & the diners complain or stop frequenting the establishment.

Like they said on the Goals show, what manager would take the job ? Even those managers unemployed would think twice.
  • My first game for a year since Rotherham at home. I usually go with the old man 5/6 times a year, but just lost interest in the regimes direction. However I just missed going with the old boy as he is not getting any younger. The football wasn't great as expected, but was happy to share a drink and and pie, and have a tipple of brandy during the game.
    Now to the game itself..
    Magennis is a unit, but I think he was taking care of his hamstring as all I've heard previously is that the guy doesn't stop running. Fox was poor prior to setting up the 2 goals, however if he can hug the touch line in the final third he can ping in a great cross, the full backs definitely pushed up, Foley even with a shout for a pen. Bauer must of loved yesterday, easiest days wages he got, the guy just plays the quintessential CB role so well. He was a rash all over their CF, he must have thought 'just FO will you!!!' Midfield not great as everyone says each week. JJ I thought played OK, will probably be better off playing at home than away when the oppo will naturally attack more...IMO
    Will go again in about a month's time
  • Very good First Half, 2ND half was OK. Worst Saturday attendance for a home league fixture for over 21 years.

• Nearly 9000 my backside, here is a picture taken at 3:15 this afternoon-:

At every home match the continuing legacy of Duchatalet and Meire is there for all to see. The longer it goes on, the fewer will come back.
  • Sponsored links:

• The league is pony and we should be doing better , I still believe we can make the play offs
    How sorry does the empty Valley look , sell the club you muppets

0% Top two ......... 25% 3rd-6th ......... 50% 7th-12th ......... 24.5% 13th-20th .......0.5% relegation
  • The strangest part of yesterday for me was just before half-time I went for a piss.
    Three of us were standing there doing what comes naturally when we heard a faint cheer, we looked at one another and said that it couldn't be a goal as it was not a big enough cheer.
    I then walked back to my seat in the upper North only to hear the bloke on the tannoy announce Ajose had scored.

That has got to be the quietest goal celebration i have heard at the valley in years, official attendance nearly nine thousand my arse

Momentarily you probably thought I was getting the drinks in......

Momentarily you probably thought I was getting the drinks in......
    No, that would have been a huge cheer
  • edited November 2016
    vff said:

Like they said on the Goals show, what manager would take the job ? Even those managers unemployed would think twice.

If i was unemployed i'd bite their hand off.

3 years money for 4-5 months work if you're lucky to last that long. And reputation not damaged too much as everyone knows the owner and CEO are complete morons.
  • seth plum said:

PWR.

I feel more cheerful than usual, but I won't confuse cheerful with hopeful.
    Today was almost the kind of run of the mill victory that I have been expecting to see every game this season, which you don't need telling we haven't been getting.
    Port Vale were yet another honest team with some limitations, however they gave it a bit of a go in the second half and I though represented their club well as players. The Port Vale fans were loyal behind their team, and they joined in the silence impeccably, but Charlton were better and deserved the win. As an addendum Clive detailed three Port Vale players who fell in the Great War before our unveiling ceremony by Sam's statue which was a fine addition to a tasteful and moving ceremony before the match.
    Anyway back to the game.
    Did I notice much different? Well we wanted to keep the ball deep to draw Vale on and create extra space behind them to exploit which was a bit new (was almost a disaster on one occasion) and when there were crossing opportunities a midfield player, most notably Jackson would bomb into the area as extra confusion and an extra option which was good, and the Magennis/Ajose partnership was more successful than usual because they played closer together.

This is exactly what I was thinking while listening. I am very much against the notion of we win just for turning up, or because we've been in the Premier League relatively recently and we're playing the likes of Port Vale of AFC Wimbledon or Fleetwood Town that we should start 1-0. But I did expect that there would be days when we weren't brilliant, but where we'd get a couple goals or nick a 1-0 just because we have more talent in our side than most. And that really hasn't happened with maybe the exception of Chesterfield.

To me it was, and is, something to be laid at Slade's doorstep, as it felt that, despite this team's limitations, he had them playing well within themselves. Not just saying that because of today's result, but in general it's been incredibly unfortunate that our excellent defense hasn't kept clean sheets at key times, or our strong attack hasn't been able to nick goals.
  • edited November 2016

Foley and Fox? Basic, schoolboy errors. Passes sent astray. Here and there. Weak and dull. Clearances from Pearce and Bauer are shanked and skied. Crofts and Ulvestadt: utterly anonymous. It's a throw-in to our opponents...

Fox was excellent, few passes went astray. Foley I thought wold be our week link but looked ok.
    Pearce and Bauer were excellent. Bauer shanked one clearance. It happens. Cofts and Ulvestadt were ok, worked hard.
  • Nug said:

Nicholas said:

First half decent.
    Second half crap
    No atmosphere
    Boring as.

Tend to agree with this and I would add Port Vale were shocking, absolutely nothing going forward. This is a poor league quality wise and our position is in it is pretty disgraceful really for a club who, in the regimes mind, are in a healthy state.
    And one that has a top 6 budgie.

( How I'd love to hear it's going "cheep"!)

• edited November 2016
    Posting after going out straight after the game to see "Fantastic Creatures" (good film). Enjoyed the game - end to end at times, both teams wanting it - even Vale didn't give up with minutes to go. Atmosphere flat because of the lack of people and never been the same since most of the upper North moved to the lower.

Thought main difference since Slade went was players looking more interested and closing down quicker. 2nd half, we were pushing up and not sitting quite so deep but that caused it's own problems. Thought all the team played quite well even Foley although he is better at R/B not in the mid-field.

Moaned a lot about Ajose's touch and then he scored a great goal... Think we should be higher up the table. Hate the singing "we are going down" - why? Who wants us to? Going down won't make RD sell us any quicker - if anything he'll hang on even longer... I want Charlton to do the best they can and, unrealistically , win every game not go down...
  • I enjoyed the game and don't think that Vale were as bad as some have made out. They played the ball well out from the back and attacked down both wings. They were unlucky on a couple of occasions and could have scored. Having said that I thought we were the better team and took two chances well and with a bit of luck could have scored more.

Attended ceremony behind stand with my son and a bit surprised at the low numbers, but when I saw the size of the crowd it was apparent why. Oh how I wish their tenure was over so the crowd would return. I am sure it would be worth another 10 points by season end.