Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Charlton v Port Vale - Post Match Views

Comments

• A good first half. Not so good second. Vale really didn't have much though.
  • Great movement by Ajose for the 2nd goal.

He's come away from his marker(27) moving into open space, making himself available for Fox to play the quick simple ball.
    After that, he takes a brief look up to get his bearings, then drives towards the keeper and decisive where he's going to place the ball.

But Port Vale number 27 needs shooting.
    Having lost his man, he really doesn't know what to do next, and ambles back towards his box completely out of the game.

• Nadou said:

Off_it said:

Nadou said:

Off_it said:

We won?

I feel nothing.

Then go and support another club.
    Why would I do that?
    Because the idea of being a supporter is to have fun and to care if your team wins or loses. If you don't care, you might get more pleasure elsewhere. Or do you just enjoy posting that you don't care?
    Are you having fun sitting in an empty ground watching a poor team play in league 1?

Knowing all the time it cold all be a lot, lot better if we had owners who cared?

No, that's not fun, in fact it makes me very very sad to see The Valley empty and I want regime change as much as anyone on here, but I do care that we won today. Off It, apparently doesn't, and I don't get that.
  • 24 Red said:

Good first half with a lot more goal threat than in most matches this season. I've no idea why. Second half we were pushed back but Port Vale never really threatened. Would the third goal have been allowed if Ajose hadn't touched it?

Not really....it was going about 6ft wide.
  • vffvff
    edited November 2016
    Happy to see Charlton win.. That happiness is undermined knowing that Charlton are going nowhere good under Duchatelet & Meire.
  • Curbs on Football 5 tonight.Lets stop fuckin about - get him in as Football director and start to rebuild the club again.ITS NOT TOO LATE.It all started downhill when he left!

He's got more sense than to come back here.
  • Great result boys. Onwards and upwards.
  • Told by a staff member before the game that they were told to expect 9k crowd max.

No way there was more than 6k actually there.

Quite enjoyed the game, both teams wanted to win and it showed.

Turgid atmosphere though.
  • Sponsored links:

• God, Port Vale are such a dire side.
  • Am i allowed to say we just won our 4th home match in a row.
    No, Ok i won't mention it.

I was on the edge of my seat at times with the ebb and flow of the match ?
    Watching Murray's semi final at the 02 on my phone.
    I would call Charlton V Port Vale low key, but at least we took a couple of chances.
    Same as most of the home games where the opposition have the ball a lot and we hope they don't have a decent striker. Port Vale didn't thankfully.
    Fox had his best game with two good assists,and the mandatory poor pass but i feel he was the MOM today.
    AJose movements was much better, and took his goal well,still gives poor passes but much improved at last.
    I saw Crofts make forwards runs today. I think he still passed the ball sideways thou.
    If Lookman, Holmes, and Magennis are ever all missing again can we get the game called off.

Did i witness the interim head coach bounce today ?
    IF so can we just have a different interim, every week till the end of season.
    Not Carol Fry.

There are 17 thousand people who have gone missing in Britain at the moment; at least half of them must be CAFC fans.
  • seth plum said:

It is farcical to put tex on the bench by the way, it seems clear he won't play a league game for us. Even with no prospect of coming on, a player like Aribo (because he is a midfielder) should have been named amongst the substitutes.
    I don't blame Nugent by the way.

I agree... especially when the young Konsa was put on at the end, he's going to be a very good player but if you put a Defender on at the end SURELY its better to put on an experienced one?
  • edited November 2016
    PWR

A cold, dank day at The Valley and for 20 minutes or so there wasn't much happening on the pitch to warm us up as the teams effectively cancelled each other out. Charlton though gradually gained the ascendancy and Magennis heading narrowly wide heralded the first real goalscoring opportunity for either side. Charlton continued to press and Magennis eventually headed in from an acute angle from a (I think) Fox cross. Port Vale responded and exerted some pressure in the 10 minutes or so leading to half time and on 42 minutes Fox came away with the ball and played a sliderule pass into the path of Nicky Ajose who advanced unopposed by all except a one on one with the keeper which he answered by calmly sliding the ball past him into the net.

The consensus around me was that overall we had a decent half with some flashes of skill from Lookman to go alongside two goals whilst Foley looked a lot better in his proper position of right back.

However The Manager With No Name (whether 'Network' O'Loughlin or 'Programme Notes'** Nugent) continued the Slade dynasty by sitting back for most of the second half and inviting the opposition onto us. The few rays of light included a dipping half volley from Crofts which narrowly went over the bar landing on top of the net, some moments of January sale advertising flashy footwork from Lookman and an offside 'goal' from Ajose. Otherwise it was Port Vale pressure throughout and luckily for us a combination of their radar being awry and decent defending meant we survived.

It was interesting to see Jerome Thomas once more and Foley kept him quiet. Overall one cannot knock 3 much needed points.

Off the field it was good to see the Remembrance Ceremony (I missed a bit of it thanks to traffic), meet @centurion and have a chat to @Weegie Addick and Mr Weegie.

** I didn't buy a programme but was told Nugent wrote the programme notes and was asked my opinion as to whether or not I thought that meant he was acting manager.
  • Anyone else notice who the linesman in front of the west stand was? Good to see that slade is back in work so quickly.
  • Off_it said:

When was the last time we got under 10k for a league game?

When the ground held 8,337 before the East Stand opened in 1994?
  • Sponsored links:

• Martin Allen with nailed on comment on C5. Good to hear a football man tell it how it is.

What did he say?
  • Slow start,both sides cancelled each other out but gradually Charlton gained the upper hand,two very well taken goals. Like the temperature,the entertainment dropped like a stone in the second half and against better sides we would've been punished. No disrespect to Port Vale but the fact they are/were 7th in the league at the start of play shows how weak the division is this season. A very welcome 3 points after a turbulent week.
  • Martin Allen with nailed on comment on C5. Good to hear a football man tell it how it is.

What did he say?
    Basically he feels sorry for the fans. Why would anyone wanna go there and ruin a club like ours than means so much to the fans and also what manager would wanna go there and ruin their career.

Hes pretty much nailed it in one
  • Mad Dog it is then, to be our next manager.
  • Mad Dog it is then, to be our next manager.

He may be mad but he's not at the "foaming at the mouth" stage yet !
  • Glad we got a result today but until we start putting runs together I'm not getting out of my safe space.
  • Lookman needs to get his head up and pass a bit more and Jackson shouldn't be starting
  • Nadou said:

Off_it said:

Nadou said:

Off_it said:

We won?

I feel nothing.

Then go and support another club.
    Why would I do that?
    Because the idea of being a supporter is to have fun
    It really isn't. My having fun to feeling horrible ratio supporting Charlton over the last 30 years is very heavily weighted towards the latter! I dread to think how little fun any of our post 2006 supporters have had.......