Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Gareth Southgate

Comments

• Options
    Also we've tried an attacking manager before (Keegan) and successful club managers (Sven/Capello) and none of them did anything compared to what Southgate has done.

I think Gareth Southgate lives and breathes the Job to an extended pathway because he doesn't have an ott opinion of himself.

Basically the complete opposite of Alan Pardew 
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Not aimed at you Sillybilly, just in general.

The issue these days is that people like to deal in black and white, especially on social media.  Southgate is appalling one minute and then everyone who disagreed with a team selection etc is wrong the next game when we win, and the cycle goes on.

The truth as usual is probably somewhere in the middle - he's a decent defensive manager, who is a good guy and has done wonders for the morale, motivation and professionalism of the national side.  He's also too scared of losing sometimes that he inhibits our attacking play, and he lacks a bit of ability to change a game when it's not going our way.

We also might not be able to do much better.

They can all be true.
    See this is the bit I don’t get.  How many teams have scored more goals than us in the last 3 tournaments?  Finals and semi finals are almost always cagey affairs.   When was the last time a team strolled through a tournament thrashing everyone?  Even the great Spain team only won the final 1-0, in extra time.

I haven't checked it out but after Spain scored 7 against Costa Rica it was said that Spain only scored 8 in the year they won the WC !
    If accurate they must've had a 0-0 in group game and knock out stage before going on to win with at least one Penalty shoot out victory ?

I will be disappointed if @Cafc43v3r doesn't know this off the top of his head ?
    Spain lost their opening game when they won the WC
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Not aimed at you Sillybilly, just in general.

The issue these days is that people like to deal in black and white, especially on social media.  Southgate is appalling one minute and then everyone who disagreed with a team selection etc is wrong the next game when we win, and the cycle goes on.

The truth as usual is probably somewhere in the middle - he's a decent defensive manager, who is a good guy and has done wonders for the morale, motivation and professionalism of the national side.  He's also too scared of losing sometimes that he inhibits our attacking play, and he lacks a bit of ability to change a game when it's not going our way.

We also might not be able to do much better.

They can all be true.
    See this is the bit I don’t get.  How many teams have scored more goals than us in the last 3 tournaments?  Finals and semi finals are almost always cagey affairs.   When was the last time a team strolled through a tournament thrashing everyone?  Even the great Spain team only won the final 1-0, in extra time.

I haven't checked it out but after Spain scored 7 against Costa Rica it was said that Spain only scored 8 in the year they won the WC !
    If accurate they must've had a 0-0 in group game and knock out stage before going on to win with at least one Penalty shoot out victory ?

I will be disappointed if @Cafc43v3r doesn't know this off the top of his head ?
    Spain lost their opening game when they won the WC
    They won 1 game by more than 1 goal, a 2-0 v the might Honduras.  Scored 8 conceded 2.

We have scored 9 with 4 games in hand! 
  • Options
    Out of curiosity - who else was in the running for the England role when Southgate took over after Big Sam?

Other than Curbs at 40/1 of course ...
  • Options
    I don’t give a flying if we score 50 goals or 3 goals … let’s just win something 
  • Options
    Nigel bastard.
  • Options
    Out of curiosity - who else was in the running for the England role when Southgate took over after Big Sam?

The FA probably didnt get that far... They fluked their way to hiring Southgate

Gave him the job on a temporary basis (as he was No.2) as they needed someone quick what with the October / November Internationals on the way, and got some great results including the 2-2 with Spain

Had "Big Sam" been a twat in November / December they'd have had three months to find the next useless bloke
  • Options

Gave him the job on a temporary basis (as he was No.2) as they needed someone quick what with the October / November Internationals on the way, and got some great results including the 2-2 with Spain

Had "Big Sam" been a twat in November / December they'd have had three months to find the next useless bloke
    was he number two?

i thought he was doing well with the u21's?
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:

Next England manager odds from Sun Bets
    Alan Pardew 4/1, Eddie Howe 5/1, Steve Bruce 6/1, Gareth Southgate 7/1, Gary Neville 12/1, Jurgen Klinsmann 14/1, Glenn Hoddle 16/1, Arsene Wenger 20/1, Alan Shearer 20/1, Claudio Ranieri 25/1, Roberto Mancini 28/1, Laurent Blanc 28/1, Guus Hiddink 33/1, Roy Hodgson 33/1
    I can't believe Woy was on the list at 33/1! He'd only just lost the job! Fecking Pardew would've been awful. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Cafc43v3r said:

Alan Pardew 4/1, Eddie Howe 5/1, Steve Bruce 6/1, Gareth Southgate 7/1, Gary Neville 12/1, Jurgen Klinsmann 14/1, Glenn Hoddle 16/1, Arsene Wenger 20/1, Alan Shearer 20/1, Claudio Ranieri 25/1, Roberto Mancini 28/1, Laurent Blanc 28/1, Guus Hiddink 33/1, Roy Hodgson 33/1
    Jesus wept, the FA actually made a good choice
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:

Highlighted ones shouldn't be in football management. How bad were things?!
  • Options

was he number two?

i thought he was doing well with the u21's?
    Cant remember if he was still U21 Manager or whether he'd stepped up by that point

Yeah looks like you're right looking @ Wiki
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:

Jesus wept, the FA actually made a good choice
    I had to skim through quite a few articles to find that, I think a lot of people have forgotten how bad things were 6 years ago.  
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:

Mancini wouldn't have been bad, or Hiddink, assuming they would have actually wanted the job, maybe Howe, but the rest of the list is awful!
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:

Wenger would have been the only one on that list that may have done a better job than Southgate. 

The issue is translating good tournament performances into wins. Southgate has shown he is capable of decent tournament performances but no one will remember in 20 years that we did 'pretty well'. 
  • Options
    To paraphrase some:

I am old, I am tired and I work with children.

But 2018 was a seminal year for me.  Funny enough as much as 1990 and 1996 were.

I got made redundant, lost a baby, my cousin died, my cat died and I got married.  In the space of 6 weeks.

England gave me so much pleasure, I watched the Panama game on my stag do, I fucking love Gareth.

Is he faultless of course he isn't.

When I was in the club last summer there was a young lad, about the same age I was in in 1990, when we beat Germany.  I told him he would remember this for the rest of his life.  Cos I did.

I'll say the same to all of you.  No one remembers us going deep in 2, let alone 3, consecutive tournaments.  If not now, there is Germany, even then there is the USA.  We will do it one day guys.  We are going in the right direction.

• Options
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Very glad he stayed on. The day he leaves is the one where the FA are going to have a very tough decision to make in order to continue the progress that has been made.
  • Options
    The FA needs a complete overhaul.
    Include the National League in that statement.
    Southgate leaving? Good.
  • Options
    R0TW said:
    Southgate leaving? Good.
    You're as good at trolling as you are at reading comprehension. 

• Options
    R0TW said:
    Southgate leaving? Good.
    Overhaul for who? Who in there right mind that’s any good is gonna take it. If you was that much of a sure bet you’d be picking up 200k a week in the prem.
  • Options
    R0TW said:
    Southgate leaving? Good.
    If he left tomorrow who would you hire as England manager?
  • Options
    I would do whatever it takes to get Eddie Howe.
  • Options
    R0TW said:
    Ok i'll rephrase my question, who would you hire as England manager who would realistically want the job?

Eddie Howe is absolutely not going to be interested.
  • Options
    I'd rather roll the dice and give ourselves a chance of a tournament win rather than get to where we expect to (opponent dependant) and lose as soon as we face half decent opposition .
    I'm running out of time,  I want a tourney win not glorious failure and yes Southgate has given us more than the other non winners before but the stars have aligned with our 'lucky draws' and we didn't quite get to the finish line in 2018/2021.
    If we have to sit out like Italy did by not qualifying for something so be it but i'd happily have not gone to the World Cup and have won the Euros rather than runners up and losing to France as happened .
  • Options
    Southgate is the right man for the job but if Howe gets sacked from Newcastle at any point, they should let him know he’s the successor. 
  • Options
    R0TW said:
    I presume that includes forcing him against his own will. No chance he wants it.