Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Gareth Southgate

Comments

• Options
    He is the wrong colour, Southgate out, Sol Campbell in!!!
  • Options
    Some people are never happy... Can't see anything wrong with a long-term appointment, as others have said we need stability, and with the generation of players we seem to have coming through, what can be wrong with someone whose looking to create a world class team. Things COULD go wrong, but so far Southgate hasn't really put a foot wrong, he's got my support.
  • Options
    edited November 2018
    Its because we've gone back to having a proper English International Manager who hasnt been lured away from Club Football.

It means that he's got proper interest not just in the big names but keeping up to date with the Youth Academies; its like Frank Lampard said the other week about previous Chelsea Managers who wouldnt show interest in the Chelsea Academy players even if there was a UEFA Youth League game going on 50-yards from their office.

It was probably the same with Eriksson (Yeah he was a good England Manager regardless) and Capello (especially him) - i.e. We had good players but cant imagine either keeping a close eye on the U21s and further down the chain during their reign and makes you wonder if England as a National Team lost some gems because of that.

Of course in their defence, the one thing thats helping Southgate is St. George's Park - Having all age groups in the same location must be a huge help for Gareth seeing that he's not got to leave the Senior Team and go to another venue to see the U21s / U18s etc.
  • Options

Its because we've gone back to having a proper English International Manager who hasnt been lured away from Club Football.

It means that he's got proper interest not just in the big names but keeping up to date with the Youth Academies; its like Frank Lampard said the other week about previous Chelsea Managers who wouldnt show interest in the Chelsea Academy players even if there was a UEFA Youth League game going on 50-yards from their office.

It was probably the same with Eriksson (Yeah he was a good England Manager regardless) and Capello (especially him) - i.e. We had good players but cant imagine either keeping a close eye on the U21s and further down the chain during their reign and makes you wonder if England as a National Team lost some gems because of that.

Of course in their defence, the one thing thats helping Southgate is St. George's Park - Having all age groups in the same location must be a huge help for Gareth seeing that he's not got to leave the Senior Team and go to another venue to see the U21s / U18s etc.

Also, lets remember that Gareth has had extensive experience with the younger squads and knows the structure from his time managing the Youth squads. The formation we play with now is the formation they play with also so I think it will really help the younger players (who have won the World Cup in some age groups) to fit straight into the same system as they have played in in the last 5 years when they come to play for the proper side.

Not normally a fan of the FA but for me they have made a number of good decisions recently in terms of looking at long-term development. Just got to hope we see the results from it now...
  • Options
    edited November 2018

Also, lets remember that Gareth has had extensive experience with the younger squads and knows the structure from his time managing the Youth squads. The formation we play with now is the formation they play with also so I think it will really help the younger players (who have won the World Cup in some age groups) to fit straight into the same system as they have played in in the last 5 years when they come to play for the proper side.

Not normally a fan of the FA but for me they have made a number of good decisions recently in terms of looking at long-term development. Just got to hope we see the results from it now...
    Yeah sorry this is what I meant by the fact he keeps up to date with the Youth Academies

Even if we crash straight out of the Nations League and have a very poor Euro 2020 I really hope the FA dont sack him as think from these two last breaks prove that Southgate really does know how to learn from his failures

I also reckon there would be another Glenn Hoddle type blunder and set the team back another good few years and at present wonder if Aide Bothroyd would be a good replacement if he were to go seeing he's treading the same path as Southgate
  • Options
    I'm not a fan of long contracts for England managers - We need to keep chopping and changing at international level until we find the right man. I mean we haven't been that great at it over the years! Hodgson having three tournaments was a complete joke. Southgate has earned his contract though even though the FA were a bit lucky, giving it to him before he had.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

I'm not a fan of long contracts for England managers - We need to keep chopping and changing at international level until we find the right man. I mean we haven't been that great at it over the years! Hodgson having three tournaments was a complete joke. Southgate has earned his contract though even though the FA were a bit lucky, giving it to him before he had.

Low had four tournaments before he won something though...
  • Options
    edited November 2018
    Do you think Hodgson would have won the World Cup if he kept his job? :)
  • Options
    Southgate was u21 manager wasn’t he? A pretty good choice if he knew that generation and had a plan of what he wanted to do with them going forward.
  • Options
    Biggest thing we have going for us is that we have got rid of all the big names - makes a massive difference to the cohesion and team selection.

The days of shoe-horning players into positions, such as Beckham's ludicrous 'quarter-back' performance against Northern Ireland or the farcical deployment of the Granny Shagger as a central midfielder, in order to soothe egos is now finally over.

That means we now have the best players playing in their best positions and that is crucial.
  • Options
    I always had a grudging respect for him as a player even when he was at Palace playing in midfield. That's not to say I can't finish every sentence about him with 'the beaky palace c*nt' and to be honest I use the c bomb to greet some of my closest friends

I didn't think he was the right man for the England job however in glorious hindsight, it pissed off so many armchair Chatham-dwelling, underpant-soiling man United fans that made me happy, as well as him actually having the courage of conviction to find a pattern of play and to go with it, with a lot of players he will have known from the under 21s. In 2006 Germany were a side full of promise and up until last summer they were the side everyone was looking to emulate.

He's got a tough job as the talent pool is still not deep enough but he's doing a brilliant job and I'm over the moon he's made watching England an enjoyable experience rather than a tooth-grudgingly Charltonesque, joyless ordeal

• Options
    I didn't have high hopes, but was willing to give him a go. I don't think anybody can honestly take any credit, he sort of fell into the job. A bit like Curbs did. Most people fall into these jobs then fall out again. The person who deserves all the credit is Southgate himself.
  • Options
    Got his subs spot on on sunday and has made england a genuinely exciting team to watch. Think we've actually got a great chance at the euros in a couple of years, especially if we do well in the summer.
  • Options
    What I was looking for after the World Cup was him saying we should have done better. And he did. Not taking anything away from our adventure, it was a great time and the team exceeded expectations, but I want the manager who wasn't satisfied. You always need a bit of luck, but we have gone in the space of six months or so from a team that can't win a major trophy to one that can.
  • Options
    If you are Manager of England (who are in a great place at the moment) why would he be interested in the Man U role - I don’t get it?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    BR3red said:

If you are Manager of England (who are in a great place at the moment) why would he be interested in the Man U role - I don’t get it?

I can think of £8 million reasons a year personally
  • Options
    BR3red said:

I can give you ten reasons. Money, wedge, cash, dosh, lolly, dough, moola, spondoolies, readies and wonga.
  • Options
    Scoham said:
    If it's performance related he should be the 2nd best ever....... 
  • Options
    Still won't be on the money that Capello had thrown at him at one point. 
  • Options
    Rothko said:
    Still won't be on the money that Capello had thrown at him at one point. 
    Or Sven
  • Options
    He was apparently on £3m pa before this new contract
  • Options
    Blessed are the big Noses.