Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Gareth Southgate

Comments

• Options
    RedChaser said:

cafctom said:

The bloke comes across as an absolute gentleman who clearly ‘gets it’ when it comes to what the England job requires - not just on the pitch, but the circus around it as well.

Very pleased to have him as our leader.

Agreed but so was Sir Alf who eventually fell from grace :disappointed: .
    When did Sir Alf ever fall from grace?
  • Options

Glad Steve Holland is his assistant. Very good coach.

Glad this is the only thing I said about it back in Nov 2016.

I wasn’t overly happy with Southgates appointment for the same reasons cabbles mentions above, but it just goes to show what can happen when you get the right team even at the management level. It’s of no surprise we now have a style or identity, and are dangerous from set pieces. Holland is a fantastic coach.
  • Options
    edited July 2018

RedChaser said:

cafctom said:

The bloke comes across as an absolute gentleman who clearly ‘gets it’ when it comes to what the England job requires - not just on the pitch, but the circus around it as well.

Very pleased to have him as our leader.

Agreed but so was Sir Alf who eventually fell from grace :disappointed: .
    When did Sir Alf ever fall from grace?
    He didn't in my eyes but when he was outed at the behest of Sir Harold Thompson at the FA in 1974 after three previous tournament failures being, knocked out of the 1970 World Cup QF, Euros 1972 QF and World Cup 1974 which we failed to qualify for (drew with Poland 1-1at Wembley when their keeper Tomaszewski was called a clown by Cloughie but had a blinder).
  • Options
    Well I think Sir Alf’s time was up and he simply had to go......I wouldn’t call it a fall from grace though as he left with honour and respect.
    Think he should have left earlier and thus avoided being ousted......either way it was time for him to go, sad as that may have been.
  • Options
    DRAddick said:

We all know what Gareth is saying here.

Never mind mate, Pizza Hut will be in contact soon

He's a bigger man than me. Not sure I could have found any sympathy for any Columbians after their behaviour.
    "Have that you penalty scuffing c**t" is probably what he's saying
  • Options
    All managers have their shelf life especially at international level,Alf was no different.Was dubious about Southgate,but he has got a togetherness about the squad which is vital especially with the fringe players.We have hope, a young manager on the same wave length as the players(not 40 years older),I just think this could be the start of something big.Alf gave this country the biggest shot in the arm I can ever remember,the whole mood changed because of that world cup win,it would be wonderful to experience it again.
  • Options
    edited July 2018

Well I think Sir Alf’s time was up and he simply had to go......I wouldn’t call it a fall from grace though as he left with honour and respect.
    Think he should have left earlier and thus avoided being ousted......either way it was time for him to go, sad as that may have been.

He wanted the league programme cancelled before that crunch game with Poland but was flatly refused and autocrat Thompson, with whom there was a clash of personalities, would have been involved in that decision.

I don't think it was time for him to go, it was knee jerk and vindictive after the Poland debacle, some of the press and his 66 squad felt the same;

The British journalist and author Leo McKinstry said "England's most successful manager would have had a legacy fit for a hero had it not been for the malevolence of the FA chief Harold Thompson". Alan Ball described the treatment of Ramsey as "the most incredible thing that ever happened in English football".

Part by mutual consent by all means but sack a national hero after having refused to help give him the best chance to win that crucial qualifier, not on.
  • Options

We all know what Gareth is saying here.

Never mind mate, Pizza Hut will be in contact soon

"It's coming home"
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    JVLJVL
    edited July 2018

From the World Cup thread...

I sent this to a friend of mine who is mates with him from Harrogate, where he lived when managing Boro. He has sent it to Mrs Southgate this morning, who loves it very much and is sending it on to him. Charlton Life doing its bit to bring football home...
  • Options
    Whatever the result on Saturday, Southgate has proved an excellent coach with good man management skills. As long as the boys give 100% on the pitch - which I'm sure they will, I'll have no complaints. This is a young team with their best years (hopefully) to come. The Euos in two years' time could prove very interesting.
  • Options
    I've always liked and respected Southgate as a person, he's won me over as an international football coach too. I love the way we have a united England set, where they all play in a similar way, with a clear way for young players to progress.
  • Options
    addick05 said:

Whatever the result on Saturday, Southgate has proved an excellent coach with good man management skills. As long as the boys give 100% on the pitch - which I'm sure they will, I'll have no complaints. This is a young team with their best years (hopefully) to come. The Euos in two years' time could prove very interesting.

Definitely. Like to think that by the 2020 Euro's some of the recent U17 and U20 world cup winners will have kicked on a bit. Players like Lookman, Foden, Sancho, Solanke, Brewster, Lewis Cook
  • Options
    edited July 2018

I didn't know he started his career at Palace until I saw this clip just now :joy: Looks like a very humble person.

All I can remember about him is he was captain at Boro. I just looked up on Wikipedia and was surprised to know he managed them for three years and did OK there!
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gareth_Southgate
  • Options
    https://youtu.be/fOIUaEAbo-M

‘Gareth, Gareth, Gareth’ The Sportsman World Cup 2018 Song by Bell & Spurling
  • Options
    I mentioned it last night with the above tweet

Today it has all be signed 2 more tournaments with Mr Southgate
  • Options

I mentioned it last night with the above tweet

Today it has all be signed 2 more tournaments with Mr Southgate

Unless we fail to qualify for the next tournament and/or go out in the first round of the Euros...
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited October 2018
    I think with an England manager, you should only offer a long contract to protect you from losing him. I don't see that risk with Southgate and whilst I was full of praise for him at the World Cup, that can quickly change. I'd offer him a one year rolling deal.

It only shows that the FA have too much money.
  • Options
    I enjoyed every minute of the World Cup and England’s run was great to see after so many poor tournaments but let’s not kid ourselves about why that happened. We had an unbelievably easy draw and really didn’t play that well, spirit and effort was good but that’s not enough in international football. We will go back to normal after the anomaly of Russia.
  • Options

I think with an England manager, you should only offer a long contract to protect you from losing him. I don't see that risk with Southgate and whilst I was full of praise for him at the World Cup, that can quickly change. I'd offer him a one year rolling deal.

Bet there are a few Premier League teams who'd take a punt on him (i.e. Crystal Palace), not to mention another of his old clubs (albeit not Premier League) Aston Villa are currently looking
  • Options
    Nug said:

I enjoyed every minute of the World Cup and England’s run was great to see after so many poor tournaments but let’s not kid ourselves about why that happened. We had an unbelievably easy draw and really didn’t play that well, spirit and effort was good but that’s not enough in international football. We will go back to normal after the anomaly of Russia.

Was also Southgate's first tournament with the Senior Squad - I know your not suggesting it but if we replaced him (as others think we should) then we're back into the same old loop as before; Gareth needs time to build on what he's achieved so far

I know the draw changed as we went along so the Final did become realistic but its amazing to see so many cynics - Many predicted we'd struggle to get out the Group let alone win two knockout matches, regardless of the opposition
  • Options
    edited October 2018

Bet there are a few Premier League teams who'd take a punt on him (i.e. Crystal Palace), not to mention another of his old clubs (albeit not Premier League) Aston Villa are currently looking
    Those teams that might, only might, take him on only proves my point? His record as a club manager isn't fantastic! Surely it is better to pay a manager like Southgate a bit more, but not have the risk of having to compensate him after failure to qualify for a tournament, a poor tournament etc... Than have to pay out a massively long contract!

I think he did well in the world cup and is definitely in credit, but things can change.
  • Options

Those teams that might, only might, take him on only proves my point? His record as a club manager isn't fantastic! Surely it is better to pay a manager like Southgate a bit more, but not have the risk of having to compensate him after failure to qualify for a tournament, a poor tournament etc... Than have to pay out a massively long contract!

I think he did well in the world cup and is definitely in credit, but things can change.
    Or maybe he's been set a target for 2022 and The FA are finally taking a long term approach to The England team, we have the potential for a real golden generation coming through, stability at the top can only be a good thing.

A rolling 12 month contract would send out all the wrong messages.
  • Options
    Nug said:

I knew it wouldn't take long for people to start criticising England's world cup... I swear people will only be happy when we win every game 7-0 and win it at a canter.. I don't think ANY team in Russia covered themselves in glory in july, including the eventual winners. (Croatia did well performance wise but that's about it.)

We have a manager and spine of a team with experience of a major tournament semi final, it would be stupid not to try and build on that by securing the people involved in getting us there.
  • Options

Or maybe he's been set a target for 2022 and The FA are finally taking a long term approach to The England team, we have the potential for a real golden generation coming through, stability at the top can only be a good thing.

A rolling 12 month contract would send out all the wrong messages.
    Hodgson was given three tournaments - that seems pretty long term to me.
  • Options

Southgate is shite an absolute palace tool will be fired by xmas 2019

Why on earth would they fire him before the next Euro's? After maybe if we do badly, but hardly likely to do it 6 months before.