Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Gareth Southgate

Comments

• Options
    Capello was apparently on 6m a year. Sven was on 4.5m.

Southgate is rumoured to be getting 5m basic + bonuses. Nice work for managing about 12 games a year.
  • Options
    Gribbo said:
    He was apparently on £3m pa before this new contract
    He's doing an excellent job, but that's obscene money
  • Options
    Well earned. He’s done a brilliant job against many people’s expectations. 
  • Options
    Some shockers on this thread at the beginning.
  • Options
    Having southgate in charge just feels right and what he has done with the team since he got in has been nothing short of outstanding
    very underated by alot i feel !

he deserves everything he has got and gets from here and has built a spirit and bond amongst the whole england group which i really think is special
    and what with all the young quality we have in pretty much every position now will bring success for many more years
  • Options
    Some shockers on this thread at the beginning.
    And there are still some pretty shocking opinions out there currently of him quite frankly. 

I saw an interview with him earlier where he openly said that no matter how well he does, he knows he’s always going to be criticised. 

The England job is unlike any other it seems.
  • Options
    Signed a new deal until December 2024

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/59371397
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Southgate has the timeless thick skin of being solely to blame for englands euro 96 failure. 

A psychological unique sense of sport emotional trauma that not many will experience or understand.

Everyone needs to be knocked down in life. It's how you get back up.
  • Options
    Dave2l said:
    Southgate has the timeless thick skin of being solely to blame for englands euro 96 failure. 

A psychological unique sense of sport emotional trauma that not many will experience or understand.

that and the pizza hut money
  • Options
    edited November 2022
    Dave2l said:

Will never forget that penalty shootout win against Colombia - Especially when it panned to Southgate after Dier scored, his reaction looked like a man who was almost putting that penalty miss at '96 behind him

Ironic really, that penalty shootout in 96 was the first one we'd lost since winning one (as we of course beat Spain in the Quarter-Finals) - We then didnt win a penalty shootout until 2018, with Southgate technically engineering it.
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Not aimed at you Sillybilly, just in general.

The issue these days is that people like to deal in black and white, especially on social media.  Southgate is appalling one minute and then everyone who disagreed with a team selection etc is wrong the next game when we win, and the cycle goes on.

The truth as usual is probably somewhere in the middle - he's a decent defensive manager, who is a good guy and has done wonders for the morale, motivation and professionalism of the national side.  He's also too scared of losing sometimes that he inhibits our attacking play, and he lacks a bit of ability to change a game when it's not going our way.

We also might not be able to do much better.

They can all be true.
    See this is the bit I don’t get.  How many teams have scored more goals than us in the last 3 tournaments?  Finals and semi finals are almost always cagey affairs.   When was the last time a team strolled through a tournament thrashing everyone?  Even the great Spain team only won the final 1-0, in extra time.

I haven't checked it out but after Spain scored 7 against Costa Rica it was said that Spain only scored 8 in the year they won the WC !
    If accurate they must've had a 0-0 in group game and knock out stage before going on to win with at least one Penalty shoot out victory ?

I will be disappointed if @Cafc43v3r doesn't know this off the top of his head ?
  • Options
    To be successful and by that I mean by winning something Southgate is going to have to take a major gamble along the way at some point.
    And until now, he's shown it really isn't something he likes doing.
    Hope he's learnt from that.
  • Options
    Italy, in 1982 peaked, at exactly the right time - they didn't even win a game in the first group stage and only scored 2 goals in those 3 matches too, which no winner of the WC will probably succeed in doing ever again. After that they won all their matches by 2-1, 3-2, 2-0 and 3-1. Hopefully, we won't go in the other direction and stop scoring!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    To be successful and by that I mean by winning something Southgate is going to have to take a major gamble along the way at some point.
    And until now, he's shown it really isn't something he likes doing.
    Hope he's learnt from that.

Its about making the right gamble and at the right time.

Never shoot yourself in the foot if your gut instict tells you to stay cautious.  

• Options
    I can see both sides of the argument. Of course the argument for him is that he has given us 2 of most successful ever tournaments. 

However i can see the flip side of that where people argue that he is too negative. 1 goal up in both a world cup semi final and a Euro final and then decided to sit on the leads instead of killing the game off. 

Some will say we had easy runs in both tournaments, others will argue you can only beat what is in front of you.

I don't think there is any right or wrong answer here, and there is certainly no guarantee that another more attacking manager would have got better results.
  • Options
    I can see both sides of the argument. Of course the argument for him is that he has given us 2 of most successful ever tournaments. 

However i can see the flip side of that where people argue that he is too negative. 1 goal up in both a world cup semi final and a Euro final and then decided to sit on the leads instead of killing the game off. 

Some will say we had easy runs in both tournaments, others will argue you can only beat what is in front of you.

I don't think there is any right or wrong answer here, and there is certainly no guarantee that another more attacking manager would have got better results.
    I can see the point of view that he's too negative definitely, I just don't believe that if he was traded for a more 'attacking' manager we would get any better results.
  • Options
    The management of the golden generation was embaressing, careless and an unnecessary egomaniac tosser eruption. 

It was like a blind man holding a diamond. 

It's nice to know them days appear to be gone and we can enjoy the repair and reshape of the damage caused.

In the current squad, there aren't any knobheads who may make front page news. 

I can't see that anyway.

Sure, they are all over paid etc but that's pretty much been the case for the last 40 years. 
  • Options
    Some of the stories of Capello make my skin crawl
  • Options
    Also we've tried an attacking manager before (Keegan) and successful club managers (Sven/Capello) and none of them did anything compared to what Southgate has done.

• Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Not aimed at you Sillybilly, just in general.

The issue these days is that people like to deal in black and white, especially on social media.  Southgate is appalling one minute and then everyone who disagreed with a team selection etc is wrong the next game when we win, and the cycle goes on.

The truth as usual is probably somewhere in the middle - he's a decent defensive manager, who is a good guy and has done wonders for the morale, motivation and professionalism of the national side.  He's also too scared of losing sometimes that he inhibits our attacking play, and he lacks a bit of ability to change a game when it's not going our way.

We also might not be able to do much better.

They can all be true.
    See this is the bit I don’t get.  How many teams have scored more goals than us in the last 3 tournaments?  Finals and semi finals are almost always cagey affairs.   When was the last time a team strolled through a tournament thrashing everyone?  Even the great Spain team only won the final 1-0, in extra time.

I haven't checked it out but after Spain scored 7 against Costa Rica it was said that Spain only scored 8 in the year they won the WC !
    If accurate they must've had a 0-0 in group game and knock out stage before going on to win with at least one Penalty shoot out victory ?

I will be disappointed if @Cafc43v3r doesn't know this off the top of his head ?
    They won all 4 of their knockout games 1-0.