Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Gareth Southgate

Comments

• Options
    edited October 2016
    JiMMy 85 said:

For all Wayne's goals and experience, I've never seen any other professional footballer play in a high profile match and look as though he's never played the game before.

To lose the ability to play a ten yard pass, to shank every cross behind the goal or fail to trap a simple pass, a bit like when you're in a dream and can't run. It's a fascinating, confusing, bizarre thing to see.

Almost equally as strange is the failure of the sports media to highlight precisely how abysmal he's capable of playing. We're not talking about a sub-par performance every now and then - there have been games where he literally could not play football.

I don't think booing is very classy, or deserved (in terms of where he plays, he insists that he just does what he's told), but he's made a huge amount of money from presenting himself as a world beater. Posing with that stern "don't fuck with me" expression for a variety of marketing opportunities, invading our day-to-day lives in magazines, adverts and FIFA boxes.. and I think that's costing him now. I think people resent him for all that. He wrote cheques with his image that his ability can no longer cash.

Yes, he's achieved a great deal and deserves more than to be booed into footballing oblivion, but he did so while swearing down the camera at the people who made him rich. He did so while cheating on his pregnant wife with a prostitute (the story's imminent exposure was the likely reason for his astonishingly inept performances in the 2012 World Cup). And when we needed him the most on the pitch, he got owned by Iceland.

50 goals against the likes of Slovakia, Kazakhstan and San Marino don't change that for me.

I think we've probably established that you don't like him.

I'm not sure what is infidelity has to do with anything.

For what it's worth, I've always rated him, however it's quite clear that his better days are behind him.
  • Options
    It affected his ability to play football. How is that not relevant to you?
  • Options
    edited October 2016
    JiMMy 85 said:

It's not relevant because there wasn't a world cup in 2012.

If you mean 2010 - it's wasnt just him that didn't turn up was it? Maybe his carry on was the reason for his own personal poor performance. Or maybe he just didn't play very well.

• Options
    WSS said:

Since Wayne Rooney’s first cap, 91 players have made an England Football Team debut. More than half of those never made it to 10 caps. Twenty-one never played again. Only Danny Welbeck has reached 10 goals in the past decade. In the same period Rooney has scored 44 times. Spin it how you like but this is not Wayne’s fault. He’s not making the rest of them fail. He just keeps turning up and being all right, so-so, decent

Thought this was a great article:

https://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2016/oct/07/wayne-rooney-fall-guy-england-flatlining?CMP=share_btn_wa

This season he has not been alright, so-so - he's been terrible.

He simply doesn't deserve to be anywhere near the squad anymore, let alone the team.
  • Options
    WSS said:

Since Wayne Rooney’s first cap, 91 players have made an England Football Team debut. More than half of those never made it to 10 caps. Twenty-one never played again. Only Danny Welbeck has reached 10 goals in the past decade. In the same period Rooney has scored 44 times. Spin it how you like but this is not Wayne’s fault. He’s not making the rest of them fail. He just keeps turning up and being all right, so-so, decent

https://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2016/oct/07/wayne-rooney-fall-guy-england-flatlining?CMP=share_btn_wa

WSS said:

That is a valid point, and football is a team game, but I just feel he's not been good enough now for some time and seems to have just automatically kept his place without people even questioning him, until now.

I was livid with his performance against Iceland, and it just seemed to sum up his last 3 years.

Above all it also has a lot to do with patience for England being massively in short supply now. I remember having arguments with my fiends 10 years back saying we are utter dross. And we have been. I don't see how anyone can argue any different. Where other countries seem to be putting in place plans and progressing during my lifetime, I've watched my national team go backwards.

They've basically worn me down and players like Rooney have played a huge part in that.

• Options
    dickplumb said:

I don't understand the widespread criticism and booing of Wayne Rooney. He has done no better or worse than many England players. Yet he seems to be picked out.

Agree 100%. He played well last night and is still S capable as Dier etc of putting on the England shirt. The media, however, want him out and people will follow th media thoughts. Same happened with Wenger last season. Incidentally it's about time people realised that England hssn't had a good team for years, and that doesn't look like changing any time soon. This is irrespective of the Manager or squad selection
  • Options
    edited October 2016

JiMMy 85 said:

If you mean 2010 - it's wasnt just him that didn't turn was it?
    Sorry, I got the year mixed up. He was just as bad in 2012 so I'd argue it's an easy mistake to make. Hopefully you've got more to offer in this debate? Such as how it's relevant how anyone else played - I thought we were talking about Wayne Rooney...

Edit- it's hard to hold a debate when you're going back and adjusting your previous posts
  • Options
    JiMMy 85 said:

JiMMy 85 said:

If you mean 2010 - it's wasnt just him that didn't turn was it?
    Sorry, I got the year mixed up. He was just as bad in 2012 so I'd argue it's an easy mistake to make. Hopefully you've got more to offer in this debate? Such as how it's relevant how anyone else played - I thought we were talking about Wayne Rooney...
    Apology accepted :smiley:

I can't argue that he his better days are behind him. Just think he should be judged on the on field stuff rather than off it. And at this point he isn't good enough to be playing for England - along with the majority of the squad.

Because of his profile, along with other top players, he will always get dug out when it's not going well. He's been playing professional football week in week out since he was 16 years old - 15 years and that's taking its toll now. For me he should play up front or as a number 10 - finding him a position just because of his name is poor management.

As for the 2010 World Cup - 9 goals in qualifying, we probably wouldn't even have qualified without those.

Although It is a mystery why he doesn't turn up at major tournament (barring 2004).

• Options

dickplumb said:

I don't understand the widespread criticism and booing of Wayne Rooney. He has done no better or worse than many England players. Yet he seems to be picked out.

Agree 100%. He played well last night and is still S capable as Dier etc of putting on the England shirt. The media, however, want him out and people will follow th media thoughts. Same happened with Wenger last season. Incidentally it's about time people realised that England hssn't had a good team for years, and that doesn't look like changing any time soon. This is irrespective of the Manager or squad selection
    Massively disagree. I think the media have only really just started to question his role recently. I didn't see the game last night so can't comment on whether or not he put in a good performance against the mighty Malta, but I have watched every single tournament he's played in since he broke through (tournaments being where it matters), and I can categorically say that other than 2004 he's done nothing. Granted I take WSS' point about he can only be as good as the team around him and he was carrying the metatarsal injury into 2006, but from 2010 onwards, what has he given us at major tournaments

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    In my view it only looks like the media have turned on Rooney because of the previous decade or more of hyperbolic lauding that he received.
  • Options
    WSS said:

Since Wayne Rooney’s first cap, 91 players have made an England Football Team debut. More than half of those never made it to 10 caps. Twenty-one never played again.

Damning stats which just go to show we hand out caps far too easily.
  • Options
    I think the media have actually been very slow to criticise him. Giggs still dodged the "who should they drop if Dier comes back in" question last night by changing the subject, when the answer is very obvious.

He's got a lot of ex-teammates in the media who've been very reluctant to point out how badly he's faded.
  • Options
    Yeah yeah, he's a decent and honourable man, blah blah blah.

Doesn't want to pay tax though does he? The penalty missing Palace knob.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/blogs-the-papers-37593503
  • Options
    Some of these film partnerships were definitely dodgy and I don't quite understand how people can so often not pay tax for such an extended period on such high pay.

the Ingenious case looks very odd. Ingenious say that losing participants only received tax relief on the money they actually lost. And ingenious made backed some profitable films, wiki names Avatar, Life of Pi and Die Hard 4.

I think what is supposed to happen is you get losses up front against your vast premiership income and then profits later when you are earning less.

It does look like they were marketed as tax reducing schemes and it does smell wrong.
  • Options

His finest moment was when Billy Southgate streaked against Villa. He went up to him and said "we're related" Southgate pointed at Billy's nether regions and said something like "not with a thing like that"

Photos doing the rounds on Facebook now, nothing left to the imagination whatsoever! Never realised they had a kiss an all
  • Options
    Under Southgate we will play turgid site football, we will be boring defensive and unimaginative

We will be all these things not just because of Southgate but because he represents the fa and their shit approach to football and the fans who watch it

It's the most predictable reaction to an appointment, fans should start to boycott England like they do their own clubs when things are poor

The biggest crooks run our game and allow crooks to ruin our clubs

Fuck the fa and fuck football it's a shit corrupt sport run by pricks
  • Options
    Not big rob?
  • Options
    He takes a penalty as well as Ceballos takes corners.
  • Options
    They're going to give him the job, aren't they.

A bloke who has never accomplished anything more than mediocrity and failure as a manager is going to get the biggest gig in British football.

That's about me done with England, I reckon.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited October 2016
    Not forgetting he's still a p***** prick.
  • Options
    I tell you...they're going to ask Beckham.
  • Options
    edited October 2016
    Is Fraeye leaving Lommel just coincidence?
  • Options

They're going to give him the job, aren't they.

A bloke who has never accomplished anything more than mediocrity and failure as a manager is going to get the biggest gig in British football.

That's about me done with England, I reckon.

If he goes unbeaten through his 4 matches in charge then it'll be hard for them to not give him the job unless a big name like Wenger says he's leaving Arsenal next year and wants the job.

However, if you look around at some of the other countries, not all of them have proven successful managers. Lopetegui failed at Porto but then did well with the spanish youth sides so got the job. What has Danny Blind done as a manger to get the Dutch job? And Italy's manager is a journeyman of mostly smaller clubs with the biggest trophy he's won being Serie C.
  • Options
    Cone on who put the pic of Billy Southgate on the away fans videos on twitter
  • Options

I tell you...they're going to ask Beckham.

I reckon it with be Mancini.
  • Options
    wmcf123 said:

Regardless of being a decent bloke, he's done absolutely nothing in management .

Whereas our failing managers of the last almost 50 years have all done something in Management and screwed up England, maybe Venables and Robson being exceptions as they took us to semi finals
  • Options
    Given a 4 year contract.
  • Options
    Uninspiring.